NFS:HP selling more than GT5?

• Thread starter StogyBear
  • 69 comments
GT5 sold about 2.5 million in it's first week...

To be fair though that should really be in it's first 2 years because that's about how long pre orders were open for before the first copy shipped... considering that I wouldn't be surprised if sales numbers tapered pretty rapidly after the initial glut went out the door filling preorders.

GT5 had sold 5.5 Million copies in just 12 days

https://www.gtplanet.net/5-5-million-copies-of-gt5-sold-series-tops-60-million/

So I really dont think PD have anything to worry about ;)

Also as has been stated NFS:HP has sold 5 million copies across the PS3, 360, Wii and PC. GT5 sold 5.5 million copies on just the PS3.

(Using the articles you link your also comparing worldwide sales of NFS:HP against US only sales of GT5, hardly a level playing field ;) )

Last edited:
GT5 had sold 5.5 Million copies in just 12 days

https://www.gtplanet.net/5-5-million-copies-of-gt5-sold-series-tops-60-million/

So I really dont think PD have anything to worry about ;)

Also as has been stated NFS:HP has sold 5 million copies across the PS3, 360, Wii and PC. GT5 sold 5.5 million copies on just the PS3.

(Using the articles you link your also comparing worldwide sales of NFS:HP against US only sales of GT5, hardly a level playing field ;) )

I believe it was discovered that was 5.5 million shipped... how many may still be sitting on shelves has not been clarified.

I believe it was discovered that was 5.5 million shipped... how many may still be sitting on shelves has not been clarified.

I've seen countless copies in a few gaming stores, so it's most likely correct. Tons of standard editions, very few collectors edition and zero signature editions. And quite a few PS3 + GT5 bundles.
I believe it will achive those 5 - 6m sales some day, even prologue got like 4m (or was it 5m ? ) sales. But i bet it's a bit not what Sony and PD have expected.
Yeah, it's still a good sales and all, but let's not forget the budget and long development cycle.

The dealers that I bought my Signature edition from are selling it for half price now, so I would imagine that sales, at least for SE and CE, are much lower than expected.
Another thing to consider is the fact that Hot Pursuit probably appeals to a broader spectrum of gamers.

I smell fan boys here who never played anything but Gran Turismo.

Both games have cars, yes, but it's not the same at all, and to be honest, NFS HP2 is FUN. And I'm almost certain that I'll buy NFS Shift 2, because I want a game that I can enjoy and... a game that is not a PRE-BETA VERSION THAT I PAID 110$ for.

The trailer actually makes me nervous and pumped and I like that.

The dealers that I bought my Signature edition from are selling it for half price now, so I would imagine that sales, at least for SE and CE, are much lower than expected.
That happens for nearly all games that offer such special editions. Even the Halo special editions sold like dump after the first month. It is more due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the Western markets rather than a problem with overly positive sales targets.

NFS seems to be splitting into two franchises really... The arcade franchise (HP) and the more sim-oriented franchise (Shift). Let's hope the latter turns out decent, this time around.

Either way, as far as I am concerned, NFS could sell the same, more or less than GT5, I wouldn't really care.

NFS seems to be splitting into two franchises really... The arcade franchise (HP) and the more sim-oriented franchise (Shift). Let's hope the latter turns out decent, this time around.

Either way, as far as I am concerned, NFS could sell the same, more or less than GT5, I wouldn't really care.

But at least, NFS games are getting better in 2011... as for GT, well... it's good to live in 2005 apparently.

NFS Shift did it for me and was the last NFS title I will ever buy. We will see which title becomes a "Greatest Hits" first. I'm guessing NFS:HP?

It sucks that I have to go through all these fanboy posts to read the decent ones. I know HP is on multiple consoles, but from a business point of view, wouldn't it make sense for Sony to hire a developerr that shoots out a new game every year and sells as much as a game that took 5 years to make?

It sucks that I have to go through all these fanboy posts to read the decent ones. I know HP is on multiple consoles, but from a business point of view, wouldn't it make sense for Sony to hire a developerr that shoots out a new game every year and sells as much as a game that took 5 years to make?
That would be said for any high seller exclusive title vs any high seller multiplatform title.

Anyway shipped = Sold to retailers

I doubt any company know how many titles are really sold to users.

Last edited:
I don't care for NFS games, but Im no fanboy. GT5 is the first GT game I've ever played. Prior to that I played nothing but Forza when it comes to racing games. I have both consoles and play different games on each. NFS games just don't do it for me, so to each his own.

Your making the mistake of assuming that GT5 is the only title PD have released in 5 years.

They also released GT5:P with sales of 5 Million and GT PSP with sales of 2 Million. (as of Sept 2010)

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Added to 5 Million copies of GT5 (approx) and you have PD selling 12 million copies of GT games in the last 5 years.

They are really not doing too bad huh?

I played NFS HP 2 on the PC for about 8 hours and only because I was waiting for GT5 to be released. It's an arcade crash'em up game. It was kinda fun for the first couple hours because of the neat visual explosions when you hit something but the driving is plain horrible. I might rent Shift 2 to try it but if it's as goofy as HP 2, then it will go back quickly.

I am 36, a car lover and am not ADHD so the pure driving pleasure of GT is more than enough to keep my interest.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's going to sell more but our local Best Buy is GT5 CE at $49.99 I wanted to buy them so I could resell them at EBay but my wife refused to let me buy it.

im not ashamed to say that when i was younger i quite enjoyed NFSU1/2. they gave me what i wanted which was flashy looking cars, cool body kits and loud music.

im not against any of them them at all, it seems foolish to look down on anyone just because they enjoy one style of pretending to drive a car over another :/

lets face it GT5 is not realistic, there is no way i could go around tsukuba in 1 minute in a maclaren F1, the physics are no where near as real as people like to imagine. if i tried that id die, no question.

I smell fan boys here who never played anything but Gran Turismo.

Both games have cars, yes, but it's not the same at all, and to be honest, NFS HP2 is FUN. And I'm almost certain that I'll buy NFS Shift 2, because I want a game that I can enjoy and... a game that is not a PRE-BETA VERSION THAT I PAID 110$ for.

The trailer actually makes me nervous and pumped and I like that.

Lol funny how that video has less than 10 seconds of actual game play and everything else seems to be pre-rendered..

No body forced you to buy the collectors edition, the regular version was on sale for $55 in plenty of places.

Back