• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 72 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I didn't realize this, but the preseason is underway for the NHL. Well, every team has a chance to play for Lord Stanley's cup yet again. Which two will be there in the end? Will the defending champions (Pittsburgh Penguins) defend their title successfully?

This is the new season's thread! Have at it, NHL fans!

I'm pulling for the Capitals. They almost made it last year, I think they can make to the play-offs this year, they better.

Canucks for me.

Enjoyable pre-season so far, hope to see the Canucks make it a little further this year.

I have a little soft spot in my heart for the Canucks as well, but that is mostly because I lived in Vancouver for many years. I also like the Buffalo Sabres, but we all know how that turns out.

Leafs are back this year. They've made a lot of big moves this summer. The three that I'm most excited about are Mike Komisarek from Montreal, Jonas Gustavsson from the Swedish league, and Phil Kessel, just acquired from Boston. Their first round pick this year Nazem Kadri is off to a great start, and they finally look like they have some good AHL talent. They're going to be a different team this year, and I'm excited to watch.

I'm calling playoffs now. BOOK IT!

The only way Toronto will ever make it back to the playoffs is if the NHL decides to cut 14 teams from it's alignment...

I really, really wish Calgary can get to the end this year... Deep down inside I really want to see a 1989 rematch, though with a different outcome. :D

Hal Gill with the assist on the Leafs first goal! I knew he'd help them more by not being on the team. It looks like it's going to be a good game tonight with the Habs judging from the first.

What a game by Komidouchebag! You're the one who decided to walk out, buddy, don't go and act like you're holding a grudge against everyone...

Well the Capitals won again, 6 to 4 over the Maple Leafs. It should of been 6 to 1 but I think the Capitals started to get a little lazy and mess around in the 3rd period. Oh well they won anyway, there 8th straight win at the season opener at home too.

The Leafs already have Toskala riding the pine and Gustavsson starting in net. Though he had a tough time against the caps when relieving Toskala, he actually looked really good in net against the Sens the other night. Definitely an upgrade at goalie.

I'm not sure what to make of this team yet. They really showed some good things on offense in the opener against Montreal, but lost due to dumb penalties (Komisarek) and average goaltending. THey just got straight blown out against Washington and Toskala looked absolutely pathetic giving up 3 goals on 6 or 7 shots, though they did come back to make it a 6-4 loss. Finally, in their most recent game vs. Ottawa the defense looked good, the goaltending looked great and the offense was absolutely pathetic.

I really see the makings of a good team here, and I haven't seen a more promising Leafs team since well before the lockout, I think they just need some time to gel.

PS I am so god damn sick of fairweather hockey fans here in Pittsburgh. This team was threatening to leave town a few years ago because the fan support was awful. Worked out for me as I always got a good, cheap seat when the leafs came to town. Suddenly the penguins are everybody's favorite team of all time and preseason tickets cost over 50 dollars and the "fans" only get excited when the players fight.

I guess hockey needs all the exposure it can get down here...but I can't stand fairweather fans. I bet a majority of them couldn't name a pens player who came between Jagr and Crosby.

Sharks, baby, Sharks. I hate everybody who says "this is the year" every year... but they're getting better. They just need to finish hot instead of start hot. I like the look of the team this year - not nearly as torrid a start as last year, but they are definitely playing better. Unfortunately, they always start slow... which is a disturbing trend.

We'll see how it plays out, though.

Sharks, baby, Sharks. I hate everybody who says "this is the year" every year... but they're getting better. They just need to finish hot instead of start hot. I like the look of the team this year - not nearly as torrid a start as last year, but they are definitely playing better. Unfortunately, they always start slow... which is a disturbing trend.

We'll see how it plays out, though.

Sweet! Im thinking a Sharks/Caps Final this year would be AWESOME! [I have a soft spot in my heart for both teams :)]

What's everyone's thoughts on the post season thus far?

Obviously I'm pulling for the Wings. Heading to Game 6 tomorrow..errr later today, hopefully they can finish off the Coyotes.

Obviously I'm pulling for the Habs :P. I think they'll go down in 6, unfortunately. To be honest, I'm happy they managed to win 2 games. I really hope somebody smears Ovechkin before the series is over.

I've been behind the Caps all year. I'm not really surprised that they went to a game 6 since they seem to be really inconsistent, but when they have to win they can. I'm not too happy that they might have to play the Pens next, that will probably be the biggest game the playoffs. I don't think anything is going to happen to Ovechkin. Plus if something does, they still have other 10 people who are just as good as him.

I've been behind the Caps all year. I'm not really surprised that they went to a game 6 since they seem to be really inconsistent, but when they have to win they can. I'm not too happy that they might have to play the Pens next, that will probably be the biggest game the playoffs. I don't think anything is going to happen to Ovechkin. Plus if something does, they still have other 10 people who are just as good as him.

I was kidding about Ovechkin.

As a Habs fan, I can tell you it's pathetic that the "President's Trophy Winners" can't beat the Habs in 5. The Habs suck.

As a Habs fan, I can tell you it's pathetic that the "President's Trophy Winners" can't beat the Habs in 5. The Habs suck.

Yes, I love the Caps, but I can't fight that statement. I don't get how the Caps work though, they can go on a 17 win streak then lose a bunch. They're good, but they don't play good in every game. If they played their best all the time, no telling how good they'd be. But right now they just don't seem to play hard......again.

I hope the Sabres can win, so that in the unlikely event that Montreal makes it to round two, they have a better chance of advancing. The Habs have absolutely no chance whatsoever against the Penguins, but I think they could give the Sabres some trouble.

That was one sorry ass game the Wings played today, I was ashamed to walk around in my Howard shirt afterwards after that awful performance he gave.

I think this might be the best hockey game I've ever watched, it's the end of the second period and Detroit's put 39 shots on Phoenix's goal. I've been on the edge of my seat all game. Detroit needs to hold on for 20 minutes and we're going to the next round.

And I found out Kari can get us more playoff tickets!!! w00t! That means more epic hockey games for me!

I' glad the Wings won, but I have to say Phoenix had the best goal in the game.

EDIT:

I QUIT.

Last edited:
ACK... Poor Wings... :( down now 3 to 0 to the Sharks... to same score in all 3 games played... :banghead::grumpy: grrr...

Last edited:
Ya stick a fork in the Wing's, they're done. I think they'll win the next one then lose going back to San Jose.

Habs tie up the series.

Refs- 3 Habs- 2

Seriously, the officiating this playoff has been GARBAGE. The entire Washington series was total crap, and the Pittsburgh series is even worse. G-a-r-b-a-g-e.

Back