NHL 2009-2010 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 72 comments
Blackhawks in 5. Chicago was actually the team I picked to win from the beginning, I just thought they would be playing Pittsburgh or Washington.

Damn, the Blackhawks put the spank on the Fliers tonight. I wish NHL hockey was like this all the time. :lol:

Well, I gotta say go Blackhawks... they're kind of like my 2nd team after the Panthers because of my 15 cousins in Chicago.

Can't say I'm a fan of either teams, but I'll be cheering for Chicago for the sole reason that they don't have Chris Pronger on their payroll.

World class defensemen don't go -5 in one game in the Stanley Cup Finals.

In Maple Leafs news, Kaberle is as good as gone, and I'm interested to see which forwards they pick up over the off season.

Congrats to the Hawks getting it done in Philadelphia. It kind of sucks they have to celebrate in their stadium, not much appreciation.

Blackhawks in 5. Chicago was actually the team I picked to win from the beginning, I just thought they would be playing Pittsburgh or Washington.

Wow, good call.

I think Niemi or Leighton should of gotten the MVP, but I always think the goalies do more.

I was pulling for Philly myself, but I really haven't followed either team so congrats to the Blackhawks.

Well, Pierre Gauthier traded Halak to St. Louis for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Everyone is screaming and crying, but I really like the trade. Halak wants 4M, and Montreal couldn't afford Plekanec and Halak. Price is FAR from a bad goalie either.

It boils down to Price, Plekanec, and Eller, or Halak. I'd take the former.

It looks like Tomas Kaberle's 12 years as a Maple Leaf will end today with a trade.

If so, thanks for all of the great moments. A complete class act on and off the ice, always played a squeaky clean game and did his team proud. He hasn't been the same player since he was concussed by an absolutely filthy hit from Cam Janssen two years ago(about all Janssen is good for), but I'll always remember him as one of the smoothest skating defenders I've ever had the pleasure of watching, and a true offensive force as well in his hey day. I hope, wherever he goes, that he gets to raise the cup before he retires. He'll go down as one of my favorite leaf players ever.

I'm hoping we get Lombardi for him, I'd love to have such a fast skating center to play with Kessel.

It looks like Tomas Kaberle's 12 years as a Maple Leaf will end today with a trade.

If so, thanks for all of the great moments. A complete class act on and off the ice, always played a squeaky clean game and did his team proud. He hasn't been the same player since he was concussed by an absolutely filthy hit from Cam Janssen two years ago(about all Janssen is good for), but I'll always remember him as one of the smoothest skating defenders I've ever had the pleasure of watching, and a true offensive force as well in his hey day. I hope, wherever he goes, that he gets to raise the cup before he retires. He'll go down as one of my favorite leaf players ever.

I'm hoping we get Lombardi for him, I'd love to have such a fast skating center to play with Kessel.

I don't understand the rationale of trading him to be honest. The Leafs D is very over rated, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchemin are all stay at home Defenseman, so Burke wants to trade his only puck moving D-man? I just don't get it.

It would be nice to see Kaberle in a Habs uniform, but that's wishful thinking. One thing that would be really awesome is a Gomez- Spezza trade. Apparently Ottawa is trying to shop Spezza around.

Last edited:
Kaberle is still great in the offensive zone, but his game in his own zone was forever changed after he was concussed by Cam Janssen a few years ago. I was hugely disappointed when they offed Ian White, who's game had steadily improved for years, and while not quite as smooth skating as Kaberle (but then again, who is? dude skates like he was born on them) he was turning into a great puck moving guy and the heir apparent to Kaberle.

It now appears that they're going to let some of free agency run its course, and hope his value rises after some of the top free agent d-men sign with teams.

Also, these trade rumors are killing me. Everywhere I look I see Savard to the leafs...but at this point it's all speculation. GOD DAMMIT I WANT TO SEE KESSEL-SAVARD-KOVALCHUK as our first line.

My Habs have made some great moves this off season.

Trading Halak was a gutsy move, but I think it was the right one. Signing Darche and Pyatt for 500k each, trading up to take Tinordi in the draft, trading S. Kostitsyn for Ellis and Boyd, great moves.

I think the Habs organization has a bright future, and I think maybe in a few years, Eller could take over as the #1 centre in front of Plekanec, and Gomez could be shipped out to a team with an internal cap. If A. Kostitsyn and Pouliot get their games going, Montreal could have a good year. The D core is nice too, and hopefully by the time Spacek's contract runs out in 2 years, Tinordi will be ready.

Update for Max Powers:

As I'm sure you've heard, the Leafs picked up Kris Versteeg. Solid #2 centre, good pickup by the Leafs. As long as they aren't bringing him in as the #1 centre to play with Kessel, he should be a great fit in T.O.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326203

Oh, and my Habs dealt Sergei Kostitsyn for Dan Ellis and Dustin Boyd. Good deal for both teams.

Not a bad deal for the Leafs. I liked Stralberg a lot, but Versteeg is clearly a lot more NHL ready. I'm really hoping Burke intends him to be a 2nd line guy, and not a top line forward. If they don't make any more big moves, he will be a first liner by default, but I have a feeling Burke has something up his sleeve. Still, Versteeg has 97 points in the last two seasons combined, and he's only 24 years old...his best hockey is still ahead of him.

I still want Savard so bad, and if not him, Lombardi.

Seems a pretty good move for the habs to dump Kostitsyn, too. Both of the brothers are massivly talented but massive underachievers as well. Even though they seemed to trade him for spare parts, it should work in their favor.

Last edited:
Back