• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 728 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Lord Stanley saw his beautiful trophy go to the Chicago Blackhawks this past season as the Blackhawks defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning. Who will win it all this season? I decided to open this thread this early. I do feel the need to open it early so we can properly discuss aspects of this upcoming season. As of the time of this post, the NHL Awards Ceremony for this past season's action is currently taking place.

This is your thread to discuss all goings on in the world of NHL Hockey. It doesn't matter who your favorite team(s) is/are. It doesn't matter who your favorite players are. Maybe you love hockey from the NHL's Original Six (Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York Rangers). If you love the NHL and if you're on GTPlanet, this is home for you. So make yourself at home and let's discuss some NHL Hockey!

Welp, the NHL awards were this evening and here is the full list of results:
Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player): Carey Price, Goaltender, Montreal Canadiens
Frank J. Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Patrice Bergeron, Center, Boston Bruins
James Norris Trophy (best all-around defensemen): Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators
Jack Adams Award (best head coach): Bob Hartley, Calgary Flames
GM of the Year: Steve Yzerman, Tampa Bay Lightning
King Clancy Award (charity work): Henrik Zetterberg, Center, Detroit Red Wings
Mark Messier Leadership Award: Jonathan Toews, Center, Chicago Blackhawks
NHL Foundation Award: Brent Burns, Defenseman, San Jose Sharks
Calder Trophy (best rookie): Aaron Ekblad, Defenseman, Florida Panthers
Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens
Lady Byng Trophy (sportsmanship): Jiri Hudler, Right Wing, Calgary Flames Bill
Masterton Trophy (dedication and perseverance): Devan Dubnyk, Goaltender, Minnesota Wild
Hart Trophy (MVP): Carey Price, Goaltender, Montreal Canadiens

To be honest, not many surprises in any of the results. Jordyn Leopold won the Social Media award for her letter to the Wild asking them to bring Jordan, her father, to the team from Columbus

So, NHL wants to minimize shootouts?

They have approved 3 on 3 Overtime.

That is actually really cool in my opinion. However, I do not see a reason to want to minimize shootouts. What do you guys think?

Welp, the NHL awards were this evening and here is the full list of results:
Ted Lindsay Award (most outstanding player): Carey Price, Goaltender, Montreal Canadiens
Frank J. Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Patrice Bergeron, Center, Boston Bruins
James Norris Trophy (best all-around defensemen): Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators
Jack Adams Award (best head coach): Bob Hartley, Calgary Flames
GM of the Year: Steve Yzerman, Tampa Bay Lightning
King Clancy Award (charity work): Henrik Zetterberg, Center, Detroit Red Wings
Mark Messier Leadership Award: Jonathan Toews, Center, Chicago Blackhawks
NHL Foundation Award: Brent Burns, Defenseman, San Jose Sharks
Calder Trophy (best rookie): Aaron Ekblad, Defenseman, Florida Panthers
Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens
Lady Byng Trophy (sportsmanship): Jiri Hudler, Right Wing, Calgary Flames Bill
Masterton Trophy (dedication and perseverance): Devan Dubnyk, Goaltender, Minnesota Wild
Hart Trophy (MVP): Carey Price, Goaltender, Montreal Canadiens

To be honest, not many surprises in any of the results. Jordyn Leopold won the Social Media award for her letter to the Wild asking them to bring Jordan, her father, to the team from Columbus
Pretty stunned that Ekblad won the Calder. Klingburg put up more solid numbers as a pure rookie even though Dallas didn't make the playoffs last year. Apparently making the playoffs is a prerequisite for winning any of the major performance awards...

Yeah, I would have picked Johnny Hockey for the Calder, but I've seen a bit more of him this season than Ekblad so I'm a tiny bit biased:lol:

The NHL Entry draft is tomorrow(today. Whatever...) and I was doing a bit if reading about it. I've gotta be honest, this is really the first season I've seriously watched the NHL and cared about what happens, but could this possibly be the most talanted Entry Draft ever? Sure there have obviously been the drafts with Crosby and Kane and Toews and St. Louis and all if the other superstars, but with McDavid and Eichal at 1 & 2 respectively plus all of the other top players (there was an article from the Wild that was talking about how they weren't that worried where they ended up because of the sheer scale and number of talented players this draft) it's a serious question from me

Top overall went to Connor McDavid, going to the Edmonton Oilers. College superstar Jack Eichel is going to the Buffalo Sabres. Welcome to the NHL to all of the drafted players.

So I have connections to 2 of the guys in this year's draft apparently. Thomas Novak attended the same high school as me and Brock Boeser is the brother of a girl who works with me. I'm hoping Novak goes pretty high up because he was in a class of his own when he played hockey for us.

I don't know much about Joel Erickson Ek but he should be a solid choice based on what I do know

Edit: Novak goes in the 3rd round to Nashville.

Last edited:
The first day of free agency was yesterday and the blockbuster trade was Phil "Cheesburger" Kessel to the Pens along with 2 other players in exchange for picks and players.

They Wild started off by resigning Granlund, Prosser, and Ryan Carter along with signing Mike Reilly to a basic contract. Reilly will wear number 4 for the Wild.

How's the Summer Silly season treating your teams? Any big new faces, or stupid contracts? We have a while till training so we may as well discuss something while we wait

Sorry to mention a different topic, but the Hockey Hall of Fame inductees were announced. The 2015 Class includes the following:

* Nicklas Lidstrom
* Sergei Fedrovov
* Phil Housley
* Chris Pronger
* Bill Hay
* Peter Karmanos Jr.
* Angela Ruggiero

Congratulations to this class of hockey talent.

After 16 seasons, New York Ranger Martin St. Louis recently announced his retirement. I'd like to wish him the best in his retirement.

Yeah, I just heard that St. Louis was retiring. I'll be sad to see him go, he is a real class act and a great guy all around. Still about him, I found this video of him firing the Rangers up before a playoff game:

That's one way to fire up a team. The one replacing Martin St. Louis at his position for the Rangers has some pretty big skates to fill.

That is actually really cool in my opinion. However, I do not see a reason to want to minimize shootouts. What do you guys think?

Shootouts are all about luck and its brutal when they decide who makes the playoffs. Even though 3v3 is fairly gimicky.

Pretty stunned that Ekblad won the Calder. Klingburg put up more solid numbers as a pure rookie even though Dallas didn't make the playoffs last year. Apparently making the playoffs is a prerequisite for winning any of the major performance awards...

Ekblad won because he's 18.

I just found this thread. :boggled:

At least if you asked panelists of ESPN's "Around the Horn," there are those who said three-on-three in Overtime is not real hockey. Having two fewer players on the ice will make it less congested on the ice, but how you play it all is the real key. This measure was to try to limit games to go into Shootouts. I actually don't mind shootouts. They can be pretty entertaining often times. Scoring in hockey is about as tough as scoring in football (as in soccer). And would you REALLY want teams to be tied after three periods and an Overtime session? All of this will mean nothing in postseason play, but imagine a team on the brink of missing the playoffs and have to win one of these games that may go into Overtime. It would all be a tough sell to find ways to settle scores without having to go into Shootout sessions.

Glad you brought up the notion of 3-on-3 Overtime hockey.

At least if you asked panelists of ESPN's "Around the Horn," there are those who said three-on-three in Overtime is not real hockey. Having two fewer players on the ice will make it less congested on the ice, but how you play it all is the real key. This measure was to try to limit games to go into Shootouts. I actually don't mind shootouts. They can be pretty entertaining often times. Scoring in hockey is about as tough as scoring in football (as in soccer). And would you REALLY want teams to be tied after three periods and an Overtime session? All of this will mean nothing in postseason play, but imagine a team on the brink of missing the playoffs and have to win one of these games that may go into Overtime. It would all be a tough sell to find ways to settle scores without having to go into Shootout sessions.

Glad you brought up the notion of 3-on-3 Overtime hockey.
Personally I am ecited to see 3 on 3 hockey as I have not seen it very much. And when I did it was for the remaining 5 seconds of a penalty and then it went to 4 on 3.

Breaking Trade: T.J. Oshie from St. Louis to Washington Capitols.

What the Blues will get:
F Troy Brouwer
G Pheonix Copely
3rd Rounder in 2016.

What Washington got:
F T.J. Oshie

Breaking Trade: T.J. Oshie from St. Louis to Washington Capitols.

What the Blues will get:
F Troy Brouwer
G Pheonix Copely
3rd Rounder in 2016.

What Washington got:
F T.J. Oshie
I saw that earlier today. Not devastating, but I did not really expect it as a Blues fan. Still upset though! :(

I can't believe that I just found this thread. I realistically am expecting the playoff streak to end this year, but I think that the Red Wings should still at least have a winning season. Jeff Blashill is going to have huge expectations to live up to- not only because he is now the head coach of the Wings, but also because he was very successful in the AHL.

When I think of the Washington Capitals, I usually wonder if Alexander Ovechkin will finally emerge and win himself a championship. While not a fair analogy, Ovie is more like what LeBron James was before eventually winning championship gold. Great player that has yet to win a championship in the NHL. And even if he doesn't eventually win the Stanley Cup in his career, he's still one of the greats to play the game today. It can't all be on Ovie, but I do want to see him eventually lead his team to a Stanley Cup championship.

When I think of the Washington Capitals, I usually wonder if Alexander Ovechkin will finally emerge and win himself a championship. While not a fair analogy, Ovie is more like what LeBron James was before eventually winning championship gold. Great player that has yet to win a championship in the NHL. And even if he doesn't eventually win the Stanley Cup in his career, he's still one of the greats to play the game today. It can't all be on Ovie, but I do want to see him eventually lead his team to a Stanley Cup championship.
So you compare him to someone who stabbed the team that drafted him in the back for the sunny shores of Miami, basically stole a championship, only to find that three years later that same team won the championship right back all the while they are cutting up laughing and making fun of their star player's age? When that didn't work, you go right back to the team that drafted you to "be a mentor" to the young players there.

Let's face it, LeBron will never be Michael Jordon, nor will Ovie be Wayne Gretzky. The only one who has come close, points speaking, has been Mike Modano, and he's retired as the most points getter that was North American born. I don't think that the undue pressure that Ovie needs to win a championship to validate his career is warranted.

I think I read about Brandon Saad traded from the Chicago Blackhawks to the Columbus Blue Jackets. Maybe with a few extra pieces, the Blue Jackets will probably be a team to watch this upcoming season. Saad gets to stay in the good old Midwest. Only with a different Midwestern team, and going from an Original Six team to one of the youngest NHL franchises today. I actually did some research on what the youngest NHL Franchise was, and one site said both the Minnesota Wild and the Columbus Blue Jackets both formed in 2000-2001. I didn't know about the Minnesota one because I remember the Minnesota Northstars. Then... I think they became the Dallas Stars.

Anyhow, best of luck with Brandon Saad's new team.

The Dallas who? :P Oh, you mean the Minnesota North Stars:lol:

I'm getting slightly worried because Matt Cooke is gone, Kyle Brodziak is gone, there is a chance Chris Stewert isn't coming back. Those were our 3 tough guys/able to drop the gloves guys. At least new recruit Tyson Strachen can fight decently well. As much as the league doesn't like them, and you don't want them, every team needs a tough guy or 2 who can lay someone out and drop the gloves when need be

I think as long as you have players that know how to put the puck through the back of the net and make solid contributions on defense, that's all that matters. And every now and then, it doesn't hurt (no pun intended) to have guys who love a good fight every now and then. The Wild just have to try and build off of this past season.

I'll be interested to see how the likes of Edmonton and Buffalo do this season with their big time acquistions from the NHL Draft. They may get some jitters dealing with the grind of an NHL season, but how will these two teams do with the new talent? We will have to find out when this coming season gets going.

If you have NHL Network, you can get to see some classic/vintage hockey games. I'm watching Game 7 of the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals with two Original Six teams- the Boston Bruins at the Montreal Canadiens. Got to love old school hockey.

Breaking Trade News: Chicago Blackhawks send F Patrick Sharp and D Stephen Johns to the Dallas Stars for D Trevor Daley and F Ryan Garbutt.

At the Wild's Develpment camp scrimmage the other day Alex Tuch scored an incredible shhout goal. I was sitting just behind the goal when it happened and yeah, it was awesome. Whwt really brought everything together though was the celly afterwards :lol:

Wow! Does this Wild guy have swagger or what? That was like the hockey version of an ankle breaker.

Besides that, NHL Network is showing more of those old school games. The previous hour shown the 1999 Stanley Cup Final in which the Dallas Stars won their first (and now only) Stanley Cup with a great player by the name of Mike Modano for the Stars. On right now of this post was the 1996 Western Conference Final with the Colorado Avalanche at the Chicago Blackhawks. The starting goalies- Patrick Roy (COL) vs. Ed Belfour (CHI). Both of these guys came out pretty good.

Put another feather in the Stars' cap. Less than 24 hours after refusing to sign an extension with the Blackhawks, Jimmy Oduya signs with Dallas for two years, $7.5 million. This before trading a 7th rounder for the rights to sign, and did sign, Finnish goaltender Antti Niemi from San Jose for $4.5 million over 3 years. Niemi was signed to help create a two-goaltender system here in Dallas, which according to statistics, was ran in 5 playoff teams (in which two goaltenders played 30+ games during the season) this past postseason.

Things aren't going to be easy in Stars land. They will have to travel the third most km in the NHL, and play 12 back-to-backs, making it one of the more difficult schedules in the NHL.

So do you think the Dallas Stars will be much improved this upcoming season? Could they possibly have enough to maybe push for a Stanley Cup run?

According to recent reports, the NHL is somehow only focused on Las Vegas and Quebec City as expansion team locations. So the possibility of any future NHL teams in places like, say... Seattle, are not really in the cards right now. Where's the love for Seattle? Most of us basketball fans want to see the Seattle Supersonics return. While I don't know too much on Seattle's NHL history, people almost make it seem like places like Hartford have a better chance of an expansion program than Seattle. Maybe some think Seattle isn't as viable a sports market for certain sports. I don't know...

Just wanted to bring this across. Can you imagine NHL teams in places like Las Vegas, Quebec City, or both?

Las Vegas for sure nope. Unfortunately it's not my call... The Yotes are already struggling and honestly I don't think there are enough fans in the desert for another team. Quebec City I hope gets a team to be honest. Bring back the Nordiques. I'm disappointed that the NHL isn't considering Seattle as I feel like there is a large fan base there and the team would be well supported

Back