NHL: 2015-2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 728 comments
...and speaking of the Tampa Bay Lightning, recently wrapped up...

One more day. Pittsburgh staved off elimination and will bring the Eastern Conference Final back to Pittsburgh. The scoreboard in Tampa Bay read 5-2 in favor of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Game 7 on Thursday. Which of these two will be playing for Lord Stanley's Cup? We'll find out on Thursday in the Steel City.

Congratulations to Pittsburgh tonight.

@prousonhairy If you think trading Bishop is bad, the Minnesota Wild brought a young foreword named Tyler Johnson to prospect camp a few years ago. We decided not to sign him, and he left for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
I think if the Blues had Ben Bishop right now, instead of this back and forth 2 goalie system nonsense we've had for the past few years, they would be in a lot better shape. We've blown a few good leads already in this playoffs, that they never should of let the other team back in it.

Part of that also is the way they play "defense" when they get a good lead. It's like they don't even try and score and just sit back and let the goalie keep getting hammered with shot attempt after shot attempt, so it's not all on the goalies.

But yeah the Tyler Johnson thing is a hard one too. That stuff happens. The Blues had Scott Stevens in the early 90's, and let him and his hall of fame career go, and Adam Oates, and Brett hull, and Brendan Shannhan. When "Hull and Oates" played together, that was awesome to watch.

The Hull deal was the worst. Total F up job by management. I mean just go ahead and let one of the greatest goal scorers/snipers of all time, and absolute fan favorite, leave because we had Mike Keenan(moron) as a coach and didn't get along with the Star player. He basically left because management wouldn't give him a No trade Clause.

Sorry for the rant .People in and around the St Louis area are still pissed off about that deal, you can probably tell. :lol:

Tonight is Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals. It is the St. Louis Blues at the San José Sharks. The Sharks can close out the St. Louis Blues with a win tonight. Can the Sharks close out the Blues, or will St. Louis' season last one more day? Can St. Louis bring the Western Conference Finals back to St. Louis on Friday, or will this season over for the Blues? All will be answered tonight.

It was another night in the Shark Tank as the Western Conference Finals had their Game 6. On this night, it was San José who won 5-2. We now have 1/2 of our Stanley Cup Finals set. St. Louis' slogan is "Long Live the Note." Well, the notes St. Louis are playing are notes of sadness. The Blues are singing the blues to their exit. They'll be returning to St. Louis to clean out their lockers and go on vacation. I'll miss those beautiful blue and gold colors of the St. Louis Blues in this postseason (my personal favorite NHL uniforms to be honest). Congratulations to your Blues on a fine season, kolio and other Blues fans.

Meanwhile... San José will await the winner of the TB-PIT series. Tomorrow night will set up the other half of the Stanley Cup Finals once the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Pittsburgh Penguins is settled. San José advancing to play for Lord Stanley's Cup is the first-ever time in franchise history the Sharks advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals. Could the Sharks win their first-ever Stanley Cup championship? We'll see when the Stanley Cup Finals begin this coming Monday.

But like I said earlier... Tampa Bay at Pittsburgh tomorrow night to determine the finalized Stanley Cup Finals series. Get ready for tomorrow night!

Tonight is the finale of the Conference Finals portion of the postseason. San José will await the winner of tonight's Game 7 in Pittsburgh as the Tampa Bay Lightning will play at the Pittsburgh Penguins. One team will play for Lord Stanley's Cup; the other will clean out their lockers and go on vacation. Good luck to both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh tonight.

Is there a doctor in the house? You bet there is! And not just any doctor- Mike "Doc" Emrick. He's on the call for tonight's TB at PIT match. As for Steven Stamkos, I don't know how or if you'd incorporate him into the lineup if he's ready to go. You don't want to work him like (for example) Derrick Rose with the NBA's Chicago Bulls. Tampa Bay will still be plenty tough if Stamkos plays and plays like he's 100% or more.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our Stanley Cup Finals for 2015-2016! It will be the San José Sharks vs... the Pittsburgh Penguins! Pittsburgh defeated Tampa Bay 2-1 in Pittsburgh in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. So Lord Stanley will see his beautiful trophy go to either Pittsburgh or San José with the Stanley Cup Finals starting this Monday. All congratulations to Pittsburgh.

Tampa Bay (and St. Louis) = CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

Hmmm.. I have no favourite in this final. Honestly, was hoping that the Bolts could get to the finals. Oh well, always next season. Let's say San Jose in 7 just because.

And don't forget, after the finals, comes everyone's favourite time: off season and the draft and free agency :D

Because of bad weather, I was unable to try to get in this material earlier. I apologize to all of you. You all know the match for Lord Stanley's Cup- the San José Sharks vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins. But, how did we get here? Here is some retrospective.

1st Round
30 teams try to prove they are the best (or luckiest), and 16 proven themselves. Those sixteen were whittled down to eight. This Stanley Cup Playoffs was a bit weird because... no Canadian teams qualified to compete. So we're assured an all-American playoffs and an American team hoisting the Stanley Cup. Here's what happened starting with the Western Conference...

--- WEST ---
* It was Sanji Humira's #1 seed Dallas taking on Red Dragon and Northstar's Minnesota Wild. A unique thing about this series was that it was Minnesota's current team vs. the artists formerly known as the Minnesota North Stars. Even facing elimination, Minnesota put up the fight of their lives to make an ugly blowout close. Dallas still advanced, defeating Minnesota in six games. Minnesota didn't have the services of some of their better players.

* kolio's #2 St. Louis Blues hosted the defending champion #3 Chicago Blackhawks. This one went the seven-game distance with St. Louis taking out the defending champs. Chicago was the only Original Six team on the West end of this season's playoffs.

* The #1 Anaheim Ducks took on the other Wild Card West winners, the Nashville Predators. This series also went seven games with Nashville advancing to the next round.

* A California team was going to advance regardless of if it was the #2 San José Sharks or the #3 Los Angeles Kings. The Sharks couldn't be contained, dispatching Los Angeles easily in five games.

--- EAST ---
* Omnis' #1 Florida Panthers had one of their best seasons of late. Their series was against one of the East Wild Card winning New York Islanders. The Islanders tamed the Panthers in six games to advance to the next round.

* The #2 Tampa Bay Lightning took on AnthonyD1993 and Joey D's #3 Detroit Red Wings. This series was nuts with everything from fights to bloody faces defining the intensity of this series. Tampa Bay took out the one of the NHL's Original Six in five games. This Original Six team made the postseason for the 25th successive season. It sadly ended In fact, the Red Wings were sadly the first team eliminated this postseason.

* All eyes were on the #1 Washington Capitals for them to make as much noise as they could. The other East Wild Card winning Philadelphia Flyers took on Washington. The Capitals reigned supreme, taking out Philly in six games.

* One of the other Original Six teams that made the playoffs was the #3 New York Rangers. They would take on the #2 Pittsburgh Penguins. It was easy money for the Pens as they finished off the Rangers in five games.

2nd Round
Eight teams will become four... but WHICH four advanced?

--- WEST: Rd. 2 ---
* The Dallas Stars wanted to get their shine on when St. Louis came calling. This competitive series went the seven-game distance. Memorable moments, such as St. Louis blowing a kiss at Dallas, defined the back-and-forth action of this series. It was the blue and gold of St. Louis advancing over the Dallas Stars.

* Nashville and San José had themselves quite a series- even including some insane Overtime action. San José advanced in this series that went seven games strong.

--- EAST: Rd. 2 ---
* It was the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning that went at it in the next round. Tampa Bay didn't need too many games to show they were the better team. In fact, this was only a five-game series.

* The Washington Capitals tried to continue their coasting to the Stanley Cup Finals. One problem- they couldn't get past the Pittsburgh Penguins. Pittsburgh downed Washington in six games.

Conference Finals
Okay, so I spoiled the results by mentioning who will play for the Stanley Cup. Read these anyways, gosh darn!

--- WEST ---
Destiny awaited either St. Louis or San José, as both teams have never won the Stanley Cup. A fierce series between these two blue teams saw Sharks teal take down St. Louis' beautiful colors in six games.

--- EAST ---
Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh both wanted to play for another Stanley Cup. It was the three-time champions, Pittsburgh, defeating Tampa Bay in a seven-game stretch.

So there you have it- we got San José and Pittsburgh ready to tangle for the Stanley Cup starting this Monday. Tell it, GTPlanet- who wins and (extra credit) how many games? I know I've seen a few early predictions.

Tonight begins the Stanley Cup Finals. Every NHL team dreams of this moment where they have proven themselves to become champion. 30 tried, 16 succeeded. Sixteen contenders entered the postseason, and eight were for real. Those remaining eight had four show they are championship material. The remaining four championship-worthy teams were whittled down to two totally deserving (or lucky) to win the championship. Now- we're at that stage where two championship-worthy teams will actually have one of them become champion. Those two teams have actually proven themselves? Get to know them- the Pittsburgh Penguins and the San José Sharks. It is almost as if Lord Stanley himself is watching in spirit finding out who will be hoisting the beautiful trophy named for him. You can't win the Stanley Cup with one game, but you can set the tone and gain an advantage by winning Game 1.

GTPlanet, the final series of this season begins tonight. Sharks at Penguins. Game 1. Lord Stanley's Cup is up for grabs in this seven-game Finals series. Get psyched!

Good luck to both Pittsburgh and San José, and may the better team win the Stanley Cup. Enjoy tonight's action.

Plenty of facial hair on the San José Sharks side. I'm not hating, just quite a few grizzly beards on the Sharkies.

As for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins won 3-2 over the San José Sharks. I think this will be a great series. Pittsburgh is ahead 1-0 in this series after one game. Game 2 is on Wednesday in Pittsburgh.

All your hockey are are belong to us! Tonight is Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals with Pittsburgh leading the series 1-0. Can the San José Sharks even things up at 1-1 or be in a 2-0 hole heading into Game 3? We'll find out tonight as the Sharks try to even the series at the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Good luck to both teams.

Can't believe the Pens's play so far in these playoffs. I think their D is a huge question mark, but yet they don't really give up a lot of goals and their forwards of course are doing all the damages.

MSZ
Can't believe the Pens's play so far in these playoffs. I think their D is a huge question mark, but yet they don't really give up a lot of goals and their forwards of course are doing all the damages.
The goals they do give up though are exceptionally well, while one or two the whole playoffs have been simple mistakes you could put it.

They really don't have the best defense, but they are able to rotate so many people in and out with superb talent it's almost unessential. Honestly, their defensemen aren't great at all, but maybe with the exception of Letang, Doumolin, and Cole.

Just wrapped up...

Regulation didn't solve anything in Pittsburgh. So more time was needed to determine a winner. That winner was the Penguins on a 2-1 thanks to a money shot by Conor Sheary off the faceoff. Pittsburgh is ahead now 2-0 in this series after tonight's Overtime win.

Game 3 is in San José this Saturday. PIT ahead 2-0 in the series.

That was an awesome last six minutes to watch hockey. I've never seen a crowd so engaged like that before, truly amazing.
Pittsburgh fans can be crazy, the crowd is always is loud (that's not a bad thing). I've been to a few regular season games over the years but unfortunately the prices are expensive and keeping me from going to playoffs and finals :(.

Game 3 of the 2015-2016 Stanley Cup Finals begins tonight with the Pittsburgh Penguins ahead 2-0 in the series. This time, the series shifts to San Jose. The Sharks will try to do all they can to make this a series again.

Good luck to both teams tonight. Don't forget to look at my previous post about the new-look Florida Panthers uniforms and logo.

I love those shark graphics and animations on the ice for the San Jose Sharks' presentation. I don't know of too many other presentations among NHL teams, but I equally like the flame graphics and such for the Calgary Flames. But that Sharks presentation is very cool. There was also a moment of silence for the passing of Muhammad Ali.

Anyhow... Pittsburgh Penguins at San José Sharks is GO! Game 3 of the 2015-2016 Stanley Cup Finals (PIT leads series 2-0)!

Just wrapped up...

Three periods didn't solve anything in San José, so Overtime was needed. 3-2 was the score after about 13 extra minutes of game was added for San José to pick up their first Stanley Cup Finals game win. Pittsburgh still leads the series 2-1. The Sharks can, however, bring it to a 2-2 tie if they win Game 4 this Monday in San José. We are now assured this series will go at least five games.

So get ready for this Monday night when this series plays Game 4!

Tonight in San Jose, CA; Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. The series is 2-1 in favor of Pittsburgh after the Sharks won Game 3 back on Saturday. So Lord Stanley's Cup will be assured a five game series, but will we go to a six-game series? We will if the Sharks win again.

Good luck to PIT and SJ tonight. Enjoy th game if you will be following.

Expansion News: According to Complete Hockey News, there could be a distinct possibility that the Carolina Hurricanes could be forced to move to Las Vegas instead of awarding a new franchise, according to some NHL executives. The current owner of the Hurricanes, Peter Karmanos, currently owes the NHL $300 Million in loans and his current legal battle with his sons may put the ability to pay back that debt in doubt.

Really? Man... the South isn't going to have too much real NHL representation even when the Atlanta Thrashers left town to become the Winnipeg Jets. That would be interesting for the Carolina Hurricanes to go to Las Vegas. I still want to see the NHL have a team in Seattle. I still don't have a problem with Quebec City getting a franchise.

As of this post, it's currently 1-0, Pittsburgh after one period of play in San José. There's still two more periods to play, but the Sharks will still have time to try to take down the Penguins and try to tie the series.

The Minnesota Wild recently got Scott Stevens to be the Assistant Coach of the team. Anything to help keep the Wild competitive will surely be a help.

Can you believe on Twitter there is a trending hashtag of "#HockeyIsBoringBecause"? Some of the responses were about as dumb as the hashtag. There were a few responses I liked when I clicked on the hashtag on Twitter. I know it's mostly baseball season right now, but I don't see how anyone can find hockey boring. Maybe someone just put this up either because Pittsburgh is up big on San José or someone just thinks there are much better sports than hockey. So what... figure skating is more exciting than hockey? Even if Pittsburgh wins Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow night, it isn't going to change my views of what makes hockey "boring." I've been to only one hockey game in my life as of this post- it was an AHL game between the San Antonio Rampage at the Houston Aeros (who are know the Iowa Wild). It was so fun seeing the players ram each other into the glass and the occasional hockey fight breaking out.

Again- Sharks at Penguins tomorrow night. Game 5 of the 2015-2016 Stanley Cup Finals. Be there.

The Minnesota Wild recently got Scott Stevens to be the Assistant Coach of the team. Anything to help keep the Wild competitive will surely be a help.

Can you believe on Twitter there is a trending hashtag of "#HockeyIsBoringBecause"? Some of the responses were about as dumb as the hashtag. There were a few responses I liked when I clicked on the hashtag on Twitter. I know it's mostly baseball season right now, but I don't see how anyone can find hockey boring. Maybe someone just put this up either because Pittsburgh is up big on San José or someone just thinks there are much better sports than hockey. So what... figure skating is more exciting than hockey? Even if Pittsburgh wins Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow night, it isn't going to change my views of what makes hockey "boring." I've been to only one hockey game in my life as of this post- it was an AHL game between the San Antonio Rampage at the Houston Aeros (who are know the Iowa Wild). It was so fun seeing the players ram each other into the glass and the occasional hockey fight breaking out.

Again- Sharks at Penguins tomorrow night. Game 5 of the 2015-2016 Stanley Cup Finals. Be there.

I've seen the Leafs played regular season games on home ice(Air Canada Centre)three different times, all Leafs victories. (lol) Although my experiences are limited to just 3 games, I did see some great great players performed at the highest level which I will never forget:

I saw Alexander Mogilny scored a breakaway goal.
Steven Stamkos scored his signature laser beam one timer during Tampa's power play assisted by Martin St.Louis.
David Clarkson out of all people scored a breakaway goal. (he scored 5 all season long, and he made $5 million that season, which means that was a million dollar goal.)

Yea, nothing beats hockey IMHO.

If Pittsburgh wins tonight against San Jose, the 2015-2016 season will come to an end with the Pittsburgh Penguins hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup. Tonight is Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The San Jose Sharks will try to do everything they can for their season to last at least one more day. Sharks at Penguins. Enjoy some hockey tonight should you be following this game.

Back