NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
I'm bored. Are the Wild back from their bye week yet?

Also, the trade deadline is coming up really rather quickly. Let's have a lil chat about that! Any trades expected or wanted for your teams? Any players you want gone?

For the Wild, there's 3 players I'm potentially interested in: From the Tampa Bay Lightning, center Brian Boyle. From the Dallas Stars, right wing Patrick Eaves. From the New York Rangers right wing Justin Fontaine.

Boyle is known as a penalty killer. He's good on the face off dot and adds a bit more of that size and grit that our team could use. We have some of it in Charlie Coyle, Eric Staal, Nino Niederreiter, and Chris Stewart, but it's always good to have some more, especially in the playoffs.

Patrick Eaves is a smaller player, however he has shown skill, and scoring ability. His biggest knock would be the time he's spent injured and not playing, however with a small 1million dollar contract it might be worth it. Besides, he's #OneOfUs

Justin Fontaine has been a Wild player in the past playing a vital role in the lineup. He normally slots in on the 3rd or 4th line, however he is able to bring skill, playmaking ability, goal scoring and speed to any line he plays on. He's currently assigned to the Hartford Wolfpack of the AHL.

I'd love for the Wild to bring in Boyle and Fontaine. Eaves is my secondary choice, mostly because he plays for the Stars and eff Norm Green

PinkKitty13, I remember you asking if any team wants Jason Pominville. I am thinking unless teams start getting more aggressive towards the trade deadline, there may or may not be as many movers and shakers or buyers and sellers. Who knows? The trade market in the NHL could be as aggressive as what you see in baseball (in which Spring Training will start up soon). Who picks up who will be interesting to watch.

Meanwhile, tonight is a six-game slate. Yahoo! Sports will show the Colorado Avalanche at the Nashville Predators. The Arizona Coyotes at the Chicago Blackhawks will be shown on NBCSN tonight. So look there if you're looking for some games to watch tonight.

Hey, folks! I almost forgot the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins will square off tonight at Heinz Field. Just remember- hockey players hit hard. So while football season may be over, you can still get hard-hitting hockey tonight. Enjoy the game!

There are also seven other games, including Canada's only two Original Six teams matching in Toronto as the Maple Leafs host the Montreal Canadiens. That game will be on Yahoo! Sports. Yep- Leafs 'n Habs.

Even though the big event today is the Daytona 500, we got some hockey today and tonight. Today is a bit special with Dave Strader calling the action on NBC as the Dallas Stars host the Boston Bruins. Strader is battling cancer and has the call in the game currently on the NHL on NBC. At present, Boston leads 2-0 with 11:40 (and counting) left in the 1st Period.

Unless the Daytona 500 gets boring or if you aren't a racing fan, enjoy the NHL games today/tonight!

Have you guys and gals been following the Trade Market lately? The trade deadline is this Wednesday. A bunch of trades have been made among multiple teams. One of the trades was between Minnesota and Arizona. If I understand correctly...

MIN get: Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, 2017 4th Round picks
ARI get: Grayson Downing and 3 picks

So I wonder how the likes of PinkKitty13 and Northstar think of this trade. Any other trades of interest to you?

The other big trade from yesterday was the Minnesota Wild sending a number of picks including this years first round and prospect Greyson Downing to the Arizona Coyotes for Martin Hanzal, Ryan White and a 4th rounder.

We were cup contenders before, but this makes us even stronger!

Coyle-Staal-Niederreiter
Granlund-Koivu-Zucker
Parise-Haula-Pomminville
White(Schroeder)-Hanzal(Graovac/Erikson-Ek)-Stewart(Bertschy)

Our center group especially, which is an area where we have been weak in the past is now an area of strength. We have some great prospects in the pipeline, and we still have one of the best defensive cores in the league. That being said, I think we need to change the pairings up a bit. Perhaps:

Scandella-Spurgeon
Brodin-Folin
Suter-Dumba
Olofsson

I'd also like to take a moment to say welcome back to Ryan Carter, who the Wild signed to a 1year, 2 way contact this weekend. Carter brings a lot of leadership, and heart to the team. He us known as a leader in the locker room, and while he may not be the most noticeable on the scoreboard, he can play a fast, physical, 2 way game, as well as being a rock on the PK. This was another smart move by the team imho

Last edited:
Wings look to be sellers this year. Makes sense since they clearly won't be advancing the streak so they might as well get some decent assets and start over.

Dear Darcy Kuemper,

You suck.

-Sincerely, Wild fans. :banghead:

The weird bounce goal you can't pin on him though. That was just bizarre tbh. However, Kuemper is his own worst enemy. He should play a style similar to Dubnyk, because their size is so similar, but he often is too deep in his net. That's something that can be worked on, but given that he's in his mid to late 20s now, it shouldn't have to be. The good news is, we have Alex Stalock in Iowa, who has put up similar numbers to Kuemper over the course of his career which has been several years longer than Kuemps. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 10-15 games Stalock is brought up for a game or 2 just to see where he is

Welcome to March! I usually offer something to hype up Wednesday, but I just remained silent. The Trade Deadline passed.

It's currently 1-1 with the NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry game between the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Chicago Blackhawks. 1:00 left (and counting) in the 2nd Period.

[UPDATE] 23 seconds left, and CHI just scored. 2-1, Chicago now. 23 seconds left in the 2nd Period.

Haven't updated or posted in a while to this thread. So to change things, it's time I post some updates on how today's seven games ended.

* The Calgary Flames did good at home with a 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders.

* The Devils were dropped 3-0 at home to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

* They say you can't keep a good dog down. Well, ahead 3-0 for the game, Pittsburgh scores four unanswered goals to win 4-3 at home. Epic choke, much?

* The Minnesota Wild got back Parise and Pominville recovering from the mumps. The boys of St. Paul, MN won at home over the visiting San José Sharks 3-1.

* It was 3-0 in Denver, CO as the Colorado Avalanche got blanked by the visiting St. Louis Blues.

* 2-1 was the winning score by two road teams. The Vancouver Canucks won 2-1 at the Anaheim Ducks, and the Carolina Hurricanes also won 2-1 at the Arizona Coyotes.

Congratulations to all winners from Sunday's games.

The NHL is having its meetings in Boca Raton, FL to discuss all kinds of things to change up hockey.

The Vegas Golden Knights signed their first player. I saw this news on "NHL Now" earlier today. Get to know him- a fellow named Reid Duke was signed to a 3-year entry level contract. He plays the Forward position. He's my height (6'0"), 191 lbs. and is right-handed. So at this point, Vegas will be looking to build up the team to prepare for their maiden season of NHL hockey.

With the Minnesota Wild's win yesterday against the San José Sharks, Devan Dubnyk has 35 wins on the season- the most among any goalie this season. Duubs doing work. If they can keep up this level of intensity, the Minnesota Wild may find themselves playing for the Stanley Cup... and maybe even do Lord Stanley proud by winning it all.

Tonight is a four-game slate. Yahoo! Sports will show the San José Sharks at the Winnipeg Jets. NBCSN tonight will be showing the Dallas Stars at the Washington Capitals. So these are some games for you to check out if you're looking for a game to watch tonight.

Enjoy this Monday night of NHL hockey, and good luck to all of your favorite teams.

College basketball may be prepping towards March Madness, and Spring Training in baseball is going on. But you don't [really] care about all that, do you? You want hockey. And guess what? You're getting another heaping helping of Hump Day hockey tonight. So to save you from boredom, get excited for these three matches as part of Wednesday Night Rivalry:

* DET Red Wings at BOS Bruins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* OTT Senators at DAL Stars
* PIT Penguins at WPG Jets

So tonight's Wednesday Night Rivalry is a battle between two of the NHL's Original Six. It is, however, the proverbial "two teams in different directions." Detroit may likely see their streak of 25 successive postseason appearances get snapped the way their season is going. Boston's still doing pretty good in their own right. But, we'll see what happens as Detroit likely will play spoiler.

GTPlaneteers, enjoy tonight's action.

About last night...

* Original Six action in Boston happened between the Bruins and the visiting Detroit Red Wings. Thanks to a four-spot on the scoreboard in the 1st Period by Boston, Detroit got hammered 6-1. This was the NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry game this week.

* Stars shine really pretty and sparkle and stuff. Well, not last night. The Dallas Stars lost 5-2 at home to the visiting Ottawa Senators.

* The defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins grounded the Winnipeg Jets 7-4 in Winnipeg.

And that's how last night's games ended.

I know our PinkKitty13 has to be intrigued tonight that the Minnesota Wild will play at the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight. This is one of ten games on tonight. Yahoo! Sports will show the New York Islanders at the Vancouver Canucks (that HAS to be a long flight...).

Enjoy tonight's games! Also, good luck to your favorite teams.

March Madness may be going on, and the IndyCar Series may be underway, but hockey is still going strong. Today, we got five games on. The game on as of this post is the Minnesota Wild at the Chicago Blackhawks. This game may be seen as a Western Conference Finals preview to some people.

Anyhow, enjoy today's action!

There is less than a month to go of regular season hockey. Wednesday Night Rivalry this week is a classic in-state rivalry. This is tonight's four-game schedule:

* PIT Penguins at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* BOS Bruins at CGY Flames
* DET Red Wings at COL Avalanche
* STL Blues at ANA Ducks

NBCSN will also show the Blues at Ducks after the Penguins at Flyers game.

May your Wednesday be a great one. Enjoy some hockey tonight.

*Officially* welcome to Spring! Or in some other parts of the world, welcome to Fall/Autumn! I know another sport has dominated the weekend sports news with some fancy pants tournament, but here is a hockey update. A few teams are currently IN the playoffs. Who are they? Get to know these teams:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE: Who's In! ---
* WAS Capitals
* COL Blue Jackets

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE: Who's In! ---
* CHI Blackhawks

No divisions have yet been clinched. But for now, these are the teams who you WILL be seeing play for the Stanley Cup this season. More slots will be filled out.

Enjoy some hockey tonight and this week. BUF Sabres at DET Red Wings will be on NBCSN tonight.

Let me touch up on games that went final tonight as of the time of this post.

* NBCSN shown the San José Sharks take on the Minnesota Wild. The Wild did some very good housekeeping to the tune of a 3-2 victory for the Wild. Minnesota led 1-0 (and even had a pretty good fight early on) after the 1st Period until a rash of scoring followed after the Sharks tied it at 1. All that did was wake up the Wild to go 3-1 and eventually win 3-2.

* Original Six action happened in Montreal as the Canadiens welcomed the Detroit Red Wings. The Hockeytown boys put away the Habs 2-1 in Overtime.

* Maybe the sexiest match of the night was the Calgary Flames at the Washington Capitals. The Caps iced the Flames by doubling them up 4-2 in Washington, D.C.

* The New York Rangers have a date with the Islanders tomorrow night, but they took their business to New Jersey tonight. The Devils won 3-2 in Overtime against the New York Rangers.

* The Desert Dogs went all the way to southwestern Florida to meet the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Arizona Coyotes did good- 5-3 victory at the Lightning.

* Did the other Florida NHL team win? Nope. The Carolina Hurricanes won 4-3 at the Florida Panthers.

* Yet another Overtime result- the Vancouver Canucks silenced the Chicago Blackhawks 5-4 in Overtime in Chicago.

* The Winnipeg Jets grounded the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 in Winnipeg.

* Unlike the Flyers, the other Pennsylvania NHL team won. The Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Buffalo Sabres 3-1 in Buffalo.

* Ottawa contained the Boston Bruins as the Senators won 3-2 in Boston.

Congratulations to anybody I may have missed, including the eventual winner of St. Louis at Colorado.

Last week's Wednesday Night Rivalry was all about the state of Pennsylvania. This Wednesday Night Rivalry, it's all about New York City. We got the New York Islanders at the New York Rangers ready to battle in the Big Apple. Here is the schedule for this penultimate Wednesday of March 2017:

* TOR Maple Leafs at COL Blue Jackets
* NYI Islanders at NYR Rangers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* EDM Oilers at ANA Ducks

Enjoy some NHL action tonight, okay?

Lots of hockey still to go. Today, though... we got Wild. We got Red Wings. The NHL on NBC Game of the Week involves the Minnesota Wild at the Detroit Red Wings. At this point, Detroit is basically playing spoilers. Oh, and did I mention this is a GTPlanet inner-forum rivalry? Wild. Red Wings. Hockeytown. The Joe. Have at it!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Time to update the list of teams that are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs so far. Heading into tonight's matches, here are all the teams that are in:

--- In Playoffs ---
EAST: Washington, Columbus, Pittsburgh
WEST: Chicago, Minnesota

--- Current Wild Card Holders ---
EAST WC: New York Rangers and Boston
WEST WC: Calgary and St. Louis

Nobody has clinched a Division yet. There's still plenty of slots to determine who all will play for Lord Stanley's Cup this season. Will your team advance? Keep on making that postseason push if your team(s) still has/have a pulse!

It's the final Wednesday Night Rivalry of March 2017. So to look forward to the remainder of this regular season, get ready for these matches slated for tonight:

* CHI Blackhawks at PIT Penguins (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* LA Kings at CGY Flames
* WAS Capitals at COL Avalanche
* STL Blues at ARI Coyotes

It has been a rough season if you're a Detroit Red Wings fan. Yahoo! Sports has this article reflecting on the amazing run of successive postseason appearances. Take a look: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rip-detroit-red-wings-playoff-streak-144341913.html

Enjoy tonight's games! Make your Wednesday a wonderful one. Feel free to chat at any time here.

This week is the final full week of NHL regular season hockey. So if your team(s) still has a chance to make the postseason, time is running out. Here are the postseason teams heading into tonight's games:

! = Division clinched
!! = Conference clinched
* = Wild Card

EAST Playoff Teams: Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, New York Rangers*
WEST Playoff Teams: Chicago!!, Minnesota, St. Louis, Nashville*, Anaheim, Edmonton, San José, Calgary*

So the Western Conference is set. We just need to settle the East. We also need to settle the Division champions.

Enjoy this final full week of NHL hockey, GTPlanet.

Next Wednesday is the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This Wednesday, however, is the final Wednesday Night Rivalry of the 2016-2017 season. Yes... it was great matching together a bunch of haters all season long. Here's how your final Wednesday Night Rivalry of the season looks like:

* MON Canadiens at BUF Sabres
* NYR Rangers at WAS Capitals

Only two games tonight. So go enjoy the action once these teams hit the ice (and each other).

Playoff chatter now. Boston will be in the Playoffs after their performance last night. Playoff teams heading into tonight are as follows:

* = wild card
! = clinched division
!! = clinched conference

EAST PLAYOFF TEAMS: Montreal!, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, New York Rangers*
WEST PLAYOFF TEAMS: Chicago!!, Minnesota, St. Louis, Anaheim, Edmonton, San José, Calgary*, Nashville*

We still have an Atlantic spot and a Wild Card spot to settle in the East. Otherwise, the Western Conference side of the Stanley Cup Playoff brackets are set.

Enjoy tonight's games!

Well I guess bring on Minnesota. I must admit, I had pretty much given up on the Blues around the all-star break. Mike Yeo(who I wasn't a fan of the hire), has done an excellent Job.

The blues goaltending still has me thinking we won't go really far, but at l least they turned the season around. Bring on those Snow-Hippies from up North. :P

Today's the final day of regular season NHL hockey. So go enjoy this final day/night of action.

Back