Niki Lauda passed away at 70 - RIPFormula 1 

• Thread starter TheHun99
  • 40 comments
RIP Niki Lauda, you'll be remembered by many as one of the F1 all-time greatest Champions.

1975 / 1977 / 1984 Champion. And many amazing races. Thank you.

RIP.

Complications with kidney dialysis surgery. And yet he had lung transplants earlier this year to get rid of the old ones he had with all the smoke damage. :(

I had the privilege of watching Niki race on two occasions, Long Beach and Dallas. He was very smooth and tidy, defeating Prost, Piquet, Villeneuve, Rosberg, Mansell et al quite handily in 1982. I read his book, and wondered amazed at his career as a pilot and airline owner/operator. He was also a farmer, once nearly killing himself on his tractor. He did not come up in karts, but I believe in a small sedan, eventually borrowing his way into an F1 BRM and showing his true worth, as I recall. He was much more than just a racing car driver. His like shall not come this way again.

RIP Niki !!

Last time i saw you was when you won the last ever f1 race at Zandvoort in 1985... next year i will remember you again when i sit there at the same spot 35 years later!!

Spy.

Abschied Niki Laura. Your life was an inspiration to many but your spirit touched us all. Thank you! :bowdown:

Rest now brother, be at peace.

Three time world champion F1 died yesterday surrounded by his family. He was 70 years old.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motors...t/news-story/a4f55a1d150aea2cd4b22913ca7930fe

25807d9a47a7b32356d237463b1427b6

Not a bad innings for a chap who went through what he did.

Tough man, gentle soul. Let us all learn from him, it is not always heroic to be reckless. A man of such sense and bravery. He did not want to race that day in Germany. They should have listened.

RIP.

The word 'legend' gets thrown about a lot but in Niki Lauda's case I think he earnt it.

Very much my thoughts. As well as his on-track achievements he also did a lot of unrecognised work behind the scenes, chiefly being responsible for the reformation of the Grand Prix Drivers Association in the wake of Ratzenberger and Senna's deaths.

I would like to also point that that his work ethic and dedication also spread to his other business ventures; when one of his Lauda Air flights unfortunately crashed in 1991, he was personally involved in the accident investigation, travelling to Thailand to assist in any way he could, and even went so far as to meet Boeing executives in the USA to get a public statement from them clarifying that the operator was not at fault for the crash, in the face of a wall of silence from Boeing, and did 15 simulator tests proving that the incident was not possible to recover from.

Any man who was twice given the last rites on his deathbed and came back to win two more Formula One titles is definitely a legend of the sport. Sad news indeed.

Ruhe in Frieden, Niki.

Last edited:
Very much my thoughts. As well as his on-track achievements he also did a lot of unrecognised work behind the scenes, chiefly being responsible for the reformation of the Grand Prix Drivers Association in the wake of Ratzenberger and Senna's deaths.

I would like to also point that that his work ethic and dedication also spread to his other business ventures; when one of his Lauda Air flights unfortunately crashed in 1991, he was personally involved in the accident investigation, travelling to Thailand to assist in any way he could, and even went so far as to meet Boeing executives in the USA to get a public statement from them clarifying that the operator was not at fault for the crash, in the face of a wall of silence from Boeing, and did 15 simulator tests proving that the incident was not possible to recover from.

Any man who was twice given the last rights and came back to win two more Formula One titles is definitely a legend of the sport. Sad news indeed.

Ruhe in Frieden, Niki.

While most airline companies along with manufacturers would cover up or sweep a crash under the rug or give stupid excuses.

Seeing Niki Lauda actually caring and doing what he can to get answers on what caused the crash deserves so much respect.

If the sky is blue today, when you look up, that's not airplane trails in the clouds, it's tyre tracks from Messrs Hunt and Lauda, picking up where they left off.

A man of extraordinary courage and who obviously lived every minute to the fullest. Much respect and rest in peace. :bowdown:

Back