Niki Lauda passed away at 70 - RIPFormula 1 

• Thread starter TheHun99
  • 40 comments

A wonderful example of Lauda's leadership in his later years. Shortly after becoming Jaguar Racing's team principle, he decided to drive a handful laps in the team's previous year car to get a better understanding of the then current F1 cars.

Rest in Peace, Niki.

Sad news. Mrs. Ten woke me up with a cup of tea to tell me, I think she knew how upset I'd be.

The word 'legend' gets thrown about a lot but in Niki Lauda's case I think he earnt it. Very sad :(

Very much my thoughts. As well as his on-track achievements he also did a lot of unrecognised work behind the scenes, chiefly being responsible for the reformation of the Grand Prix Drivers Association in the wake of Ratzenberger and Senna's deaths.

I would like to also point that that his work ethic and dedication also spread to his other business ventures; when one of his Lauda Air flights unfortunately crashed in 1991, he was personally involved in the accident investigation, travelling to Thailand to assist in any way he could, and even went so far as to meet Boeing executives in the USA to get a public statement from them clarifying that the operator was not at fault for the crash, in the face of a wall of silence from Boeing, and did 15 simulator tests proving that the incident was not possible to recover from.

Any man who was twice given the last rites on his deathbed and came back to win two more Formula One titles is definitely a legend of the sport. Sad news indeed.

Ruhe in Frieden, Niki.

👍

Condolences go out to his family and friends. Ruhe in Frieden Niki.

No way. :( RIP Niki.

That's two great people, two massive characters and two huge holes taken out of F1 already this year. Please, no more.

One of the all-time greats Niki Lauda was. I was watching ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" whereas I gained some insight on what all Niki Lauda has accomplished in his career. There were even mentions of the movie "RUSH." My condolences surely go out to Niki Lauda and all whom have known and loved him.

Wow... what an amazing story. I didn't break down into tears seeing this video, but it helped me to really respect what Niki Lauda was able to accomplish in his Formula 1 career. I realized that one of the cars Lauda raced is in Assetto Corsa- the Ferrari 312T. I almost felt like playing Assetto Corsa racing the 312T in his honor.

Niki Lauda will surely be missed. As a little extra recommendation, look up "Niki Lauda - His Greatest F1 Moments" on YouTube to see some of his best moments in F1.

Mario Andretti's reaction.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a27556074/niki-lauda-mario-andretti-interview/

Lauda on the left, Andretti on the right at the 1977 Grand Prix of the Netherlands

gettyimages-826757294-1558543422.jpg

And as two old friends at The Circuit Of The Americas

d7fp9pgxsaarzh5-1558543473.jpg

Back