Nintendo Switch

Well I don't know what you guys saw appealing at their latest conference that's going to set the world by storm,but if you guys like it that's great. Just seems I will buy a PS4 this generation.

Well I don't know what you guys saw appealing at their latest conference that's going to set the world by storm,but if you guys like it that's great. Just seems I will buy a PS4 this generation.
I've played it and enjoyed it enough.

I'm buying in potential like I always do with games consoles, otherwise the PS4's system sellers would still be able to be falsely claimed as Knack and Killzone (nobody deserves that... :lol:)

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you want. I know a lot of people just wanted another underpowered PC for some reason but this is why I quite like Nintendo- they try to change things up a bit. What we have here is a nice difference that will set it differently alongside it's peers.

Whilst the world goes into overdrive over peripheral prices and the like, I feel it's important to remember that these accessories probably won't stay what they're set at. There's been times in the UK where the DS4 is £65, doesn't mean I view that as the actual RRP. The 2 JoyCons and JoyCon grip felt great to me for the type of games I'll play on the Switch, can't ask for more than that!

Also interested to note the extent of paid online. Whilst the internet (read NeoGAF) goes 🤬 over a few lines from a website, I'd like to see what they charge for the online before getting really annoyed. Ideally it wouldn't be paid but unfortunately Nintendo are just piggy backing XBL and PSPlus. There will be more worthwhile online games on Switch than my Xbox One, which is pretty much a Forza machine.

Confident it'll provided enough experiences and feel like there's still some nice 2017 games tucked away until E3.

Last edited:
I've gotta say, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Switch presentation. The launch games, aside from BotW of course which looks unbelievably amazing, are lacking, but the same can be said for just about every console. I was actually going to hold off on this system but my 6 year old son was watching the presentation with me and he asked if we could buy one, so I have a Switch on pre-order. :lol:

His birthday is April 28th so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be a great present for him. I hope all games are compatible with the Pro Controller, BotW looks like it will be much more enjoyable to play with the Pro, same with Mario Kart.

Does anyone know if the Wii U pro controller is compatible with the Switch?

I've gotta say, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Switch presentation. The launch games, aside from BotW of course which looks unbelievably amazing, are lacking, but the same can be said for just about every console. I was actually going to hold off on this system but my 6 year old son was watching the presentation with me and he asked if we could buy one, so I have a Switch on pre-order. :lol:

His birthday is April 28th so Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be a great present for him. I hope all games are compatible with the Pro Controller, BotW looks like it will be much more enjoyable to play with the Pro, same with Mario Kart.
Pro controller has gyro and the HD Rumble features so should be 100% compatible.

This is after all the first iteration of the switch, next will probably have a more power efficient gpu that probably could run 1080p while being handheld. I guess the screen will be full 1080p if they want to update it later on and strech all the way over to the joycons, ie they will probably get rid of the wide side bezel where the slit for the joycon rail is.

An ok first attempt for this concept.

Last edited:

State of Mind is a futuristic thriller game delving into transhumanism. The game explores themes of separation, disjuncture and reunification, in a world that is torn between a dystopian material reality and a utopian virtual future.

Employing multiple playable characters and two separate game worlds, State of Mind explores the existential drama that develops in a society on the brink of post-material existence.

You are Richard Nolan, a father and journalist from Berlin who discovers that he and his wife and son have been subjects to mind uploads. Richard's upload, however, has gone wrong. As a result, he is still living in real-life reality, but an incomplete second version of his self also exists in a secret Virtual Reality project.

Upon realizing that he is literally a torn man, Richard sets out on a dramatic and dangerous search for salvation. He aims to reunite with his family, as well as with his own split self. On his way, he soon realizes that this journey isn't only about him, but about the future of mankind.

To all those thinking Nintendo are gonna pull a Sega soon enough, I sincerely doubt it. Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure they've stated they would just pull out of video games altogether instead of going 3rd party.

I'm pretty ambivalent to the system, although I do hope it is a success. The fact they piqued a lot of people's interest just with the reveal trailer is a good thing, as opposed to confusing the hell out of everyone like the Wii U's did. Super Mario Odyssey is a much needed breath of fresh air to the series if you ask me; the best 3D Mario games are ones that have some sort of theme or a 'gimmick' if you like (Sunshine, Galaxy), and the more open world should benefit it.

Breath of the Wild of course will be a great game, although it's on the Wii U as well. Guaranteed to be a system seller either way. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe doesn't do anything for me. Then again, a good chunk of people probably missed out on the base game so I'd say its a good business decision.

Super Bomberman could be a winner. There really aren't a lot of games that are fun to play on normal multiplayer these days (by that I mean 'old fashioned') and Bomberman always does that really well. I'm probably one of about six people to actually be excited for Puyo Puyo Tetris. I love both of those series to death and I think its a brilliant idea to mix them together. :P

The launch line-up is a bit so-so, but then again I don't think any system in the last 15 years or so has had stellar launch titles. Honestly, I'm more looking forward to the price drop in Wii U games when the Switch releases. :lol: I've missed out on a lot of choicer / obscure titles like Splatoon and so on, primarily because nowhere ever seems to lower their prices on U stuff (even though the system isn't selling, go figure). Online retailers are the only places that have a good choice of games to buy, although they suffer the same problem. Most online game stores have already replaced the Wii U section with a Switch one instead, so I suspect they'll be wanting the old stock out as soon as possible.

On an unrelated note, I think a lot of Wii and Wii U games are gonna shoot up in value. Lack of backward compatibility with the next system, relatively low sales but a somewhat strong following all scream of a future cult classic system to me. It's basically the new Dreamcast.

Doubt it, overpriced underpower lacking 3rd party support gimmick pushing product.
Wiiu all over again.
Remember the switch does Handheld and console at the same time, as a console it lacks but you can take it a play it anywhere, on the train, on the plane, wherever you're waiting. I'd take a console you can take anywhere over a more powerful console anyday.

Remember not all games are confirmed and with signs of Skyrim, Sonic and even FIFA heading to the Switch it already has far better support than the Wii U.

It's less gimmicky as you'd think, at its core its just a handheld-console hybrid.

lacking 3rd party support

IMG_5637.JPG

Doubt it, overpriced underpower lacking 3rd party support gimmick pushing product.
Wiiu all over again.
Okay, can you find me the same product that does what the Switch does cheaper from a hardware perspective? All functionality included, no exceptions.

We'll be waiting.

I just wish Nintendo had a bigger/better game selection. Zelda is one of my favorite franchises, and I want to play this new one badly, but I can't really justify buying a switch for one game. I guess the last Nintendo system I had was the Game Cube.

Wiiu all over again.
I'm not saying the Switch is gonna do remarkably well, but it will definitely find success with more demographics than just "Ninty faithful". Portability is a feature, not a gimmick... and yes, despite the Vita being a flop, there are people who care about having a powerful portable system.

HD Rumble confuses me a little, so they can really make the joycons change their weight depending on the game?

I could see horror games benefiting from this.

I didn't get that they were saying it actually changes weight....I believe that would be impossible. It seems like it would somehow make you feel different things. I really don't know the science, but maybe it's smaller and many more rumble motors? And maybe more subtle rumbles help feel different things. As for the feeling of physical buttons on a flat screen, that sounds like very advanced technology.

My guess is some of this info is going to trickle out from Nintendo before March 3rd

I didn't get that they were saying it actually changes weight....I believe that would be impossible. It seems like it would somehow make you feel different things. I really don't know the science, but maybe it's smaller and many more rumble motors? And maybe more subtle rumbles help feel different things. As for the feeling of physical buttons on a flat screen, that sounds like very advanced technology.

My guess is some of this info is going to trickle out from Nintendo before March 3rd
Even still I can imagine Horror Games using it to their advantage to give a bigger sense of immersion which is what the horror genre needs.

I can definitely see that @RESHIRAM5 . Wasn't trying to say you were wrong, I just can't see how its possible to physically make something heavier. But yeah, so many uses for that technology. Hopefully they are able to utilize it.

Interesting details on MK8 Deluxe

- Along with the Double Item system, the Double Item Boxes from Double Dash make a return.
- Bob-omb Blast from Double Dash makes a return :D. You can carry up to 10 bob-ombs at a time (Michael Bay would be proud)
- "Smart Steering" is an option targeted to new players, makes it easier to stay on the track. I won;t be using this but this is great for newbies and people who struggle with 200cc
- You now start off with 5 balloons instead of just 3
- You respawn everytime you run out of balloons however your point total is half.
- Balloons you have are no longer worth any points.

I think this might be the Double Dash successor I've been looking for :D. Might be interested in getting a Switch now to pick this up but not at launch. A completely different Battle Mode and not just an enhancement is great as it means the original MK8 Battle Mode while not as good as this appears to be still has a place.

I absolutely love this thing, its concept, its technology, and its potential. It makes me almost as giddy as the concept of VR, but unfortunately, rather like VR, I doubt I will ever own it. Too expensive and rather unpractical with how few games"there are on it (again, much like VR) as of right now. I don't know, maybe some years down the line, but for now I can't really justify it. :(

Interesting details on MK8 Deluxe

- Along with the Double Item system, the Double Item Boxes from Double Dash make a return.
- Bob-omb Blast from Double Dash makes a return :D. You can carry up to 10 bob-ombs at a time (Michael Bay would be proud)
- "Smart Steering" is an option targeted to new players, makes it easier to stay on the track. I won;t be using this but this is great for newbies and people who struggle with 200cc
- You now start off with 5 balloons instead of just 3
- You respawn everytime you run out of balloons however your point total is half.
- Balloons you have are no longer worth any points.

I think this might be the Double Dash successor I've been looking for :D. Might be interested in getting a Switch now to pick this up but not at launch. A completely different Battle Mode and not just an enhancement is great as it means the original MK8 Battle Mode while not as good as this appears to be still has a place.
When I was playing I noticed there's a strange light antenna on the back of the karts now too. I think it might be a drift indicator but to be honest it didn't seem to correlate.

I couldn't suss out what it was doing at all!

When I was playing I noticed there's a strange light antenna on the back of the karts now too. I think it might be a drift indicator but to be honest it didn't seem to correlate.

I couldn't suss out what it was doing at all!
Just checked some gameplay I think the antenna is what happens when you play in "Smart Steering" mode and it indicates when it activates.

Well, I think I've decided.

I need one of these in my life.

I'm probably not going to preorder (mainly due to Amazon completely running out of preorder stock), but I'll try to pick one up for my birthday, in June, along with MK8 Deluxe.

Hopefully, Nintendo have learned from their mistakes and don't have a stock situation similar to the NES Mini.

Well, I think I've decided.

I need one of these in my life.

I'm probably not going to preorder (mainly due to Amazon completely running out of preorder stock), but I'll ty to pick one up for my birthday, in June, along with MK8 Deluxe.

Hopefully, Nintendo have learned from their mistakes and don't have a stock situation similar to the NES Mini.
I might do the same albeit my Birthday is in July.

Might also Splatoon 2. Never played the original Splatoon but I hear great things about it.

As for online, I'll wait and see if I want to suck it up and pay or just play offline all the time like I do with my Xbox ONE.

Back