Nintendo Switch

Buying a decent tablet and a PS4 would make more sense to me, the Switch needs a really well done Pokémon RPG to take off imo.
Yeah because I want to buy 2 expensive devices instead of just 1 that can't even play the Switch exclusives that I want.

If you want to go that route it's fine but I'd only follow if it was cheaper and the PS4 could actually play any of the Switch exclusives

There likely is going to be a Pokemon RPG, just not revealed.

I'm not saying the Switch is gonna do remarkably well, but it will definitely find success with more demographics than just "Ninty faithful". Portability is a feature, not a gimmick... and yes, despite the Vita being a flop, there are people who care about having a powerful portable system.

Not really with realistically a little bit over 2 hours of juice running top software. Id hardly call that much of a feature, but a gimmick sure.

Okay, can you find me the same product that does what the Switch does cheaper from a hardware perspective? All functionality included, no exceptions.

We'll be waiting.

A portable product that features but about 2 hours of use, id struggle.

Remember the switch does Handheld and console at the same time, as a console it lacks but you can take it a play it anywhere, on the train, on the plane, wherever you're waiting. I'd take a console you can take anywhere over a more powerful console anyday.

Remember not all games are confirmed and with signs of Skyrim, Sonic and even FIFA heading to the Switch it already has far better support than the Wii U.

It's less gimmicky as you'd think, at its core its just a handheld-console hybrid.

Its portability is weak, Playing Zelda or Kart will get you a bit over two hours.

Skyrim and Fifa are rumored PS3 gen ports and have been denounced on nintendo forums, typical ninty owner 3rd party hate.

Its pretty much what it is, a weak console with a portability gimmick. I get nintys thinking, with consoles they are near dead but if they can manage a decent number of their former handhelds owner to buy in they have potential for sales that they lack with a pure console.

Issue is its a jack of two main trades nothing close to a master of either.

Last edited:
Not really with realistically a little bit over 2 hours of juice running top software. Id hardly call that much of a feature, but a gimmick sure.
A portable product that features but about 2 hours of use, id struggle.
Portability does not exclude you from plugging it into a power source. For example, the vast majority of trains and some buses now have plug sockets, charging whilst you work so it is ready for your commute home, or sitting in your holiday home with it plugged in whilst you game. All perfect examples of how it becomes a very worthwhile feature not a gimmick.

Its portability is weak, Playing Zelda or Kart will get you a bit over two hours.
They said battery life ranges from 2.5 Hours and 8 Hours depending on game. Zelda and Mario Kart likely won't have the same battery life.

Its pretty much what it is, a weak console with a portability gimmick. I get nintys thinking, with consoles they are near dead but if they can manage a decent number of their former handhelds owner to buy in they have potential for sales that they lack with a pure console.

Issue is its a jack of two main trades nothing close to a master of either.
I never got the logic on focusing a console for its power. If its power you want from a console, play PC, not even PS4 and Xbox ONE won't be able to catch up to the "master race". and people don't buy consoles based on power anyway, it's all about marketing. PS4 is the first console to win the "console gen war" that also has the most power but that doesn't include handhelds as if you do, 3DS beats the PS4 and is the weakest of the 5.

Compared to the 3DS and Vita, I think the Switch does far better in the handheld department.

Portability does not exclude you from plugging it into a power source. For example, the vast majority of trains and some buses now have plug sockets, charging whilst you work so it is ready for your commute home, or sitting in your holiday home with it plugged in whilst you game. All perfect examples of how it becomes a very worthwhile feature not a gimmick.

True portability means at the very least decent performance on a single charge, but i commend you a good spin for a excuse for its pathetic performance.

Well in north america they don't. In Toronto i could't even get on a bus then hop on the subway and go from one end to another with out the Switch dying on me if i played a big game. That is pathetic for a product that claims to be a "portable"

They said battery life ranges from 2.5 Hours and 8 Hours depending on game. Zelda and Mario Kart likely won't have the same battery life.

I never got the logic on focusing a console for its power. If its power you want from a console, play PC, not even PS4 and Xbox ONE won't be able to catch up to the "master race". and people don't buy consoles based on power anyway, it's all about marketing. PS4 is the first console to win the "console gen war" that also has the most power but that doesn't include handhelds as if you do, 3DS beats the PS4 and is the weakest of the 5.

Compared to the 3DS and Vita, I think the Switch does far better in the handheld department.

Simple logic, major console games will feature brutal battery life. Both game will be pushing the hardware pretty hard.

People want adequate power, especially compared the competition. Switch's consoel half puts it in direct comparison with the other two.

Nintendo pushed the console feature hard since its first showing. Its releasing with big console games. Not their big handhled's franchises anchoring the launch. Given the price its also obvious they are going for the console gamer first.

Likely yes other then battery life. But Switches downfall is ill be compared to and will compete with the PS4 on price and power and games.

Hey if they announce a portable only switch for 179/199.99 for xmas, ill be first to say it will light up sales.

Last edited:
True portability means at the very least decent performance on a single charge, but i commend you a good spin for a excuse for its pathetic performance.

Well in north america they don't. In Toronto i could't even get on a bus then hop on the subway and go from one end to another with out the Switch dying on me if i played a big game. That is pathetic for a product that claims to be a "portable"

So, wait, you're expecting a semi-portable console to last like 8 hours while playing a AAA game?

Rrrrrright, ok.

So, wait, you're expecting a semi-portable console to last like 8 hours while playing a AAA game?

Rrrrrright, ok.
Honestly I find it impressive that it can do it for as long as the original 3DS battery life.

Wow. This came out of left-field.

Between this and HD Rumble, the price is starting to make a bit more sense.

Sounds great but the wording of the announcement is throwing me off a bit: "Immersion Corp......today announced that it has signed a multi-year agreement with Nintendo to allow Immersion to adapt its TouchSense® technology to the new Nintendo Switch system." That makes it sounds like they've only just agreed the partnership - if that's the case how could the technology be incorporated into the console design when launch is only a few months away? I may well be reading it wrong but it seems a bit odd, that and the fact Nintendo haven't yet mentioned this themselves.

Honestly I find it impressive that it can do it for as long as the original 3DS battery life.

3ds was 3.5 to 8

Switch is 2.6 to 6

Its actually offers less battery life at max then its predecessor.

Rrrrrright, ok.

So its offers mediocre performance as both console and handheld, awesome.

Wow, some people really enjoy coming onto a forum to say how much they hate something. Anyway - looks like Syberia 3 is another title coming to Switch. Seems like more games are starting to leak out. It's all about the games, not battery life or power. Plus, 2.5 hours AT A MINIMUM is not so bad. My guess is that playing games will give you 3-4hrs. A lot probably depends on screen brightness and factors like that. Nintendo has had more experience in handheld gaming than any other company, I'm sure the battery life will be just fine.

Sounds great but the wording of the announcement is throwing me off a bit: "Immersion Corp......today announced that it has signed a multi-year agreement with Nintendo to allow Immersion to adapt its TouchSense® technology to the new Nintendo Switch system." That makes it sounds like they've only just agreed the partnership - if that's the case how could the technology be incorporated into the console design when launch is only a few months away? I may well be reading it wrong but it seems a bit odd, that and the fact Nintendo haven't yet mentioned this themselves.
Definitely a good point, at my Hands-On the console didn't have any touch screen capabilities fwiw.

Well in that case I suggest you forget it even exists. You clearly have no interest in it and think it a failure.

28 posts in and a toxic presence in just about every thread you have posted in.

Last edited:

Others have beat me to the punch here, but I'll re-iterate anyway.

Portable does not necessarily mean off of AC. My Vita and 3DS are plugged in 90% of the time, even when I'm taking advantage of their portability "gimmick".

Taking it to a friend's house, bringing it with you when you go to visit relatives for the holidays, curling up in bed with it like a good book... these are just some of the things that portability is good for which don't require you to be unplugged.

That's not "spin", that's just how it is. Longer battery life, while desirable, isn't quite as critical as people are making it out to be.

And no, the original 3DS was not 3-8 hours. It was 3-5 hours... or in other words, a slightly higher minimum than Switch but a maximum that's shorter by a whole movie length. And the 3DS was a straight-up 100% portable system, whereas Switch is being billed as a console that happens to be reasonably portable.

The more I've read and watched I'm starting to see where this would fit in. I love Nintendo's own games and never really bought 3rd party developed games for my consoles by them.

What is now making me think I may try and get one is portable Zelda. I love my 3DS for some portable gaming but the thought of a full on experiance even if the FPS drops a tad might be worth the price of admition.

I'd probably retire the WiiU and box back up. Hmmm lots to think about.

The more I've read and watched I'm starting to see where this would fit in. I love Nintendo's own games and never really bought 3rd party developed games for my consoles by them.

What is now making me think I may try and get one is portable Zelda. I love my 3DS for some portable gaming but the thought of a full on experiance even if the FPS drops a tad might be worth the price of admition.

I'd probably retire the WiiU and box back up. Hmmm lots to think about.
This is my issue, I don't know whether to flog my Wii U. I've already put my pro controller, Wii remote plus and MK8 up for sale but the console itself.. I just don't know. I wouldn't have anything to play Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or The Wonderful 101 on if I ever wanted to.

I'll see how cash is come March and make a decision.

Since I probably won't be able to afford a Switch right away, maybe I'll find a good deal on a used Wii U:lol:. I had to sell mine about the time Splatoon came out, so I'll have some games to catch up on!

After watching the presentation and reaction/feedback videos from numerous people, I have to say I'm on the fence on this console. (TL;DR post below)

First of all, massive props to Nintendo for using a standard USB Type C socket for charging the console, and the expansion of the hard drive using standard micro SD cards. No more proprietary nonsense like what we get from the Vita. However, the paltry 32GB internal hard drive is bugging me. Yeah sure, that will definitely expand as time goes on, but I'm pretty sure it can be bigger at launch. Keep in mind that since it's internal, said 32GB hard drive would also have to contain the Switch's OS and other related software. This would use up roughly around 7-10GB of the space, which could leave you with just 21GB (maybe less) of free space right out of the box. That doesn't seem like a lot, especially since we don't know how much space a Switch game in general would take up. Also, the 720p resolution for the tablet screen ain't bad. Heck, a lot of PS3 games run just on 720p and they look pretty good.

Now then, for the bad news (ugh...)

My biggest pet peeve would have to be the online service IN GENERAL. First, it's a paid subscription. Some people, especially fans might argue that "Nintendo is moving along with the times" and such, but you have to remember that Nintendo claims the Switch will not be sold at a loss. If they really are confident on profiting from it right from the start and then onward, why the need for a paid online service? Heck, at the launch of Playstation 3, Sony sold the system at a massive loss. The price tag was a whopping US$600 and it was still a loss for them. Yet the online features of the system were 100% free. Sure, production costs have gone down drastically over the years, but damn. I can understand the PS4's paid subscription because Sony claimed the PS4 will also be sold at a loss on launch. Oh, and what about the Vita? Great handheld, powerful console, and its online services are, you guessed it, free of charge! :grumpy::banghead:

Second, say you have already paid for said online service. Then you have this, the "companion smartphone app" for the Switch. I'll be frank by describing it in two words: gimmicky and stupid. Supposedly, the app allows you to invite friends and other players, and communicate with each other using voice chat. From the app. From a separate device. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy: I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule that these two basic features should always, ALWAYS, be built-in to the console's online features. The Switch assumes that you have your very own smartphone with you, and at all times. What if your smartphone runs out of juice while playing with the Switch? What if it gets broken or busted? What if it gets lost? What if it was your other smartphone and you left it at home for some reason? :banghead:Also, the Switch has a bog-standard 3.5mm audio jack for using earphones. Why not use the same jack for voice chat? Once again, look at the Vita. You can send invites to your friends FROM THE CONSOLE ITSELF, have them join a Chat Party, and the damn handheld even has a built-in microphone in case your earphones don't have one :grumpy: (I was actually surprised it had a built-in microphone, very handy on the first time I joined a Chat Party)
And the last bit, the last 🤬 bit that caught my ire on that app, is this:

"A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

a FREE, LIMITED version of the app. I'm not quite sure, but does this mean that people will eventually have to pay for the app, a separate payment from the online subscription? This is crazy. If this isn't an example of corporate greed, I don't know what is.

EDIT:, If I may add, Capcom could have helped Nintendo in this by announcing a Monster Hunter game for the Switch. I was actually hoping to see it at the presentation, but no. I'm not really a big fan of Nintendo's first party lineup, but a Monster Hunter game would seriously make me consider buying a Switch.

Last edited:
@Brend, @RESHIRAM5 I still have my Wii and GameCube too as I need them for some quality games bought in the past (still have all of those too!)

As such I won't sell my Wii or WiiU just keep them boxed along with my PS2 slim. It might also free up my 3DS for getting hammered for a while.

After watching the presentation and reaction/feedback videos from numerous people, I have to say I'm on the fence on this console. (TL;DR post below)

First of all, massive props to Nintendo for using a standard USB Type C socket for charging the console, and the expansion of the hard drive using standard micro SD cards. No more proprietary nonsense like what we get from the Vita. However, the paltry 32GB internal hard drive is bugging me. Yeah sure, that will definitely expand as time goes on, but I'm pretty sure it can be bigger at launch. Keep in mind that since it's internal, said 32GB hard drive would also have to contain the Switch's OS and other related software. This would use up roughly around 7-10GB of the space, which could leave you with just 21GB (maybe less) of free space right out of the box. That doesn't seem like a lot, especially since we don't know how much space a Switch game in general would take up. Also, the 720p resolution for the tablet screen ain't bad. Heck, a lot of PS3 games run just on 720p and they look pretty good.

Now then, for the bad news (ugh...)

My biggest pet peeve would have to be the online service IN GENERAL. First, it's a paid subscription. Some people, especially fans might argue that "Nintendo is moving along with the times" and such, but you have to remember that Nintendo claims the Switch will not be sold at a loss. If they really are confident on profiting from it right from the start and then onward, why the need for a paid online service? Heck, at the launch of Playstation 3, Sony sold the system at a massive loss. The price tag was a whopping US$600 and it was still a loss for them. Yet the online features of the system were 100% free. Sure, production costs have gone down drastically over the years, but damn. I can understand the PS4's paid subscription because Sony claimed the PS4 will also be sold at a loss on launch. Oh, and what about the Vita? Great handheld, powerful console, and its online services are, you guessed it, free of charge! :grumpy::banghead:

Second, say you have already paid for said online service. Then you have this, the "companion smartphone app" for the Switch. I'll be frank by describing it in two words: gimmicky and stupid. Supposedly, the app allows you to invite friends and other players, and communicate with each other using voice chat. From the app. From a separate device. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy: I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten rule that these two basic features should always, ALWAYS, be built-in to the console's online features. The Switch assumes that you have your very own smartphone with you, and at all times. What if your smartphone runs out of juice while playing with the Switch? What if it gets broken or busted? What if it gets lost? What if it was your other smartphone and you left it at home for some reason? :banghead:Also, the Switch has a bog-standard 3.5mm audio jack for using earphones. Why not use the same jack for voice chat? Once again, look at the Vita. You can send invites to your friends FROM THE CONSOLE ITSELF, have them join a Chat Party, and the damn handheld even has a built-in microphone in case your earphones don't have one :grumpy: (I was actually surprised it had a built-in microphone, very handy on the first time I joined a Chat Party)
And the last bit, the last 🤬 bit that caught my ire on that app, is this:

"A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

a FREE, LIMITED version of the app. I'm not quite sure, but does this mean that people will eventually have to pay for the app, a separate payment from the online subscription? This is crazy. If this isn't an example of corporate greed, I don't know what is.

EDIT:, If I may add, Capcom could have helped Nintendo in this by announcing a Monster Hunter game for the Switch. I was actually hoping to see it at the presentation, but no. I'm not really a big fan of Nintendo's first party lineup, but a Monster Hunter game would seriously make me consider buying a Switch.
Jim Sterling really lays into it on his YouTube channel, apparently you'll get an ancient .ROM file a month for subscribing which Nintendo then revoke at the end of the month.

The paid online service is by far the worst element of the console. It's my only true aggravation right now.

I don't have any confidence Nintendo will offer a content-rich subscription service.

Doubt it, overpriced underpower lacking 3rd party support gimmick pushing product.
Wiiu all over again.
I'm far from a Nintendo expert. In fact the only console of theirs I own is a SNES that I bought nearly a quarter of a century after it's launch. Therefore, forgive me if I've got it wrong, but wouldn't most or all of the aspects you are deriding the Switch over have applied also to the original Wii? It was more expensive than the lowest priced Xbox 360, certainly relatively underpowered, I'm unsure about 3rd party devs, but Nintendo have historically been quite insular, and talk about gimmick pushing....!!

Hindsight is meant to be 20/20, but it seems like you're somehow still fumbling through the darkness in looking right past the Wii and condemning based on the Wii U, despite their seemingly similar attributes.

I'm far from a Nintendo expert. In fact the only console of theirs I own is a SNES that I bought nearly a quarter of a century after it's launch. Therefore, forgive me if I've got it wrong, but wouldn't most or all of the aspects you are deriding the Switch over have applied also to the original Wii? It was more expensive than the lowest priced Xbox 360, certainly relatively underpowered, I'm unsure about 3rd party devs, but Nintendo have historically been quite insular, and talk about gimmick pushing....!!

Hindsight is meant to be 20/20, but it seems like you're somehow still fumbling through the darkness in looking right past the Wii and condemning based on the Wii U, despite their seemingly similar attributes.

Huh ????

PS3 launch price 500/600
360 launch price 400/300 (and the core 300 was a really awful buy)
Wii launch price 250 (and included a game)

Wii was the waggle fad and did wonders, a crazy single anomaly in all the console generations of all the manufacturers.
I'm condemning Switch based on history. Ninty consoles have been declining since the original Nes, Wii broke the pattern while wiiu went right back to its decades old downward trajectory.

Out of the last 4 Ninty consoles 3 did sub 33 million Life time sales/shipments.

History is on my side, even on the handheld side. 3ds has yet to even hit even Half the sales of its predecessor and its doubtful it will since Switch is seen as its successor. Much to do with the arrival of phones and tablets as decent/legit gaming devises. It killed sony's handheld, PSP manages a massive 82 million, its successor the Vita a pathetic 14m.
Their consoles in historic lows, their handhelds in historic lows. And its competing with one of the fastest selling console ever (PS4) and facing mobile/tablet competition.

I'm a cold uncaring realist, backed by current factual state of nintendo and the industry as a hole.

I'm condemning Switch based on history. Ninty consoles have been declining since the original Nes, Wii broke the pattern while wiiu went right back to its decades old downward trajectory.
If you're backed by the current factual state, you might want to consider that NES is the 5th best selling Nintendo console, and will be 6th within months or even weeks since 3DS is just about to pass it. DS, Gameboy, GBA, and Wii have all sold more and were released (of course) after the NES. It would also be reasonable to think the 3DS could surpass the PSP by the end of its life. Nintendo is by no means in a bad state. Financially, they are in a good place. People that call themselves realists either don't like something or are pessimistic about almost everything

Micro Machines World Tour has leaked for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Think that effectively confirms that's what Codemasters will be bringing to the Switch this year? I fully expect an official announcement to include Switch.

I speculated Toybox Turbos would come to Switch last week so it's technically correct if so. :lol:

Oh, I loved the original Micro Machines! I played very little of it, but I remember it being fun. Sometimes I get it confused with RC pro am and Super Sprint:lol: - which I spent many hours on. It'd be nice if it came to the Switch. I'll have to look up screenshots or video if they are available

Back