Nintendo Switch

Not buying that's the only way of setting up lobbies etc yet. Reggie is probably talking in absolutes to sell the idea of the app, I don't think he wouldn't describe it as a 'compelling experience' if it was a necessity.

I'll wait it out and see since the assumption there is that you can't even play online in March if it's true - which I doubt.

Hmmm. Interesting development.

This may be a problem for me if I buy a Switch and the app being the only way to connect for online shenanigans because 1) my wifi here is absolute trash (I need to use Ethernet cables for everything) and 2) the smartphone I use (1st-gen Moto G) is now a dinosaur, relatively speaking.

Considering the only game I've played extensively online on any of the last 2 Nintendo home consoles was Mario Kart Wii, it might not be too much of a problem. Still...

Hmmm. Interesting development.

This may be a problem for me if I buy a Switch and the app being the only way to connect for online shenanigans because 1) my wifi here is absolute trash (I need to use Ethernet cables for everything) and 2) the smartphone I use (1st-gen Moto G) is now a dinosaur, relatively speaking.

Considering the only game I've played extensively online on any of the last 2 Nintendo home consoles was Mario Kart Wii, it might not be too much of a problem. Still...
There's a LAN adapter. 👍

And apparently a dark theme:
C2jUJwDUAAAWAuw.jpg

My smart phone is in my pocket 24/7. For me I really don't see this being a problem.

You don't see the issue in a secondary device with its own inherent latency being used to offload online tasks?

Granted, more information is clearly needed but I wish I could be that optimistic at jump street.

You don't see the issue in a secondary device with its own inherent latency being used to offload online tasks?

Granted, more information is clearly needed but I wish I could be that optimistic at jump street.
I really don't. And whatever latency there is, is not going to be a problem for voice chat and pre-game matchmaking. I work in electronic security and home automation, my smart phone controls all sorts of things in my house? Why not aspects of my console?

Like I said up thread, it's the way now for some to wail and gnash their teeth as soon as anything new is announced. Lets wait and see what it entails. You never know it might actually add something to the experience. For example the app is also a handy way for parents to monitor their child's use and activity on the console, see what they are playing and for how long, limit their use both to time of day and total time and I believe extra time can be granted as rewards for chores via the app.

Who knows what other features it will include? I'm excited to find out.

Everyone's only working from their assumptions, but... I don't think latency will be a problem. I assume the phone will be handling its online tasks separately from the Switch in parallel. One won't increase latency for the other.

As far as I can tell, the only issues with this setup are 1. It's a bit daft, and 2. Not everyone necessarily has a smart device.

I really don't.

As I said previously: optimistic. :P

I work in electronic security and home automation, my smart phone controls all sorts of things in my house? Why not aspects of my console?

You should understand exactly why if that's the case. It's inelegant for one, and it falls afoul of being different simply for the sake of being different; there's no utility in using a secondary device to handle tasks the console itself can do without issue, minimalist OS design or not.

Making matters worse is said console is marketed under the guise of being portable, and whose design emulates that of a tablet. "Hey, check out my Switch that I just picked up. Awesome, isn't it?" "What's game do you have, let's play something?" "Yeah, let me go grab my phone/tablet/smart device."

What the hell? A companion app should be used to enhance the experience, not be a vital necessity.

Like I said up thread, it's the way now for some to wail and gnash their teeth as soon as anything new is announced. Lets wait and see what it entails.

Because the idea is daft.

You never know it might actually add something to the experience.

Oh, no doubt, it still comes at the cost of inelegantly juggling two devices. Why not just play games on my phone/tablet/smart device if that's the case?

For example the app is also a handy way for parents to monitor their child's use and activity on the console, see what they are playing and for how long, limit their use both to time of day and total time and I believe extra time can be granted as rewards for chores via the app.

If you or anyone else is a parent and finds the idea compelling that's fantastic, but this just makes me want to scream into a pillow. I have to tolerate something as unnecessary as this because it was (presumably) designed as a child safeguard?

I'm not socially awkward, but if I were I'd be having an aneurysm right now.

Who knows what other features it will include? I'm excited to find out.

I'm interested in seeing how it works and being proven wrong.

Everyone's only working from their assumptions, but... I don't think latency will be a problem. I assume the phone will be handling its online tasks separately from the Switch in parallel. One won't increase latency for the other.

I would hope not, but then there's the issue of chat also being handled through the app. How will that work without affecting game audio? What's the line-out jack on the Switch for if chat is handled through a mobile app?

As far as I can tell, the only issues with this setup are 1. It's a bit daft, and 2. Not everyone necessarily has a smart device.

That's another thing, and is compounded by the fact they're currently in bed with Apple*.

* (don't quote me on that as I'm merely speculating)

I would hope not, but then there's the issue of chat also being handled through the app. How will that work without affecting game audio? What's the line-out jack on the Switch for if chat is handled through a mobile app?

That's another thing, and is compounded by the fact they're currently in bed with Apple*.

Yeah... I dunno how chat & game audio are gonna work in this kind of scenario. Probably not ideally. :P

It does seem like they're setting up the app to be the only option for voice chat -- and by my interpretation, "matchmaking" a chat party ("lobby") with friends -- but I'm sure games will have their own functional lobbies and in-game matchmaking as expected. It would be no big surprise to me if Nintendo closes off voice chat and parties behind a barrier like that, for the children or simply because they're Nintendo. :indiff:

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I've never found voice chat to benefit the experience unless you're playing with friends, so although I don't have a smartphone, I could probably live without the app if Nintendo will let me. But that also cuts out part of the value of the subscription price, something I only bought once in a blue moon with XBL, usually to play a new game with friends...whom I now can't communicate with unless we use a secondary device with free third party software to organize and voice chat.

I'm not huge into online multiplayer anyway, but the subscription and app means I'll probably skip online-oriented games like Splatoon 2. It's also a shame that it will splinter away what little multiplayer crowd there could be for an indie game like FAST RMX, which has a dedicated but dilapidated fanbase in FAST Racing Neo.

That being said, personally I'm shocked at how everyone seems to forget at every console launch the selection is paltry. PS4 was poor, Xbox One was poor and 3DS was tragic.
If Breath of the Wild had never been seen or promised before, I don't think anyone would consider this launch weak. MK8D is also a strong title if you haven't played MK8 already. By the end of the year with Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, I think it will certainly be better off than the Wii U, PS4, XBone, and 3DS all were in their first year. Nintendo has my purchase for Xenoblade 2 as a must-have exclusive and FAST RMX, MK8 Deluxe, and a handful of multiplatform eShop titles like Sonic Mania to sweeten the deal.

If big third party AAA titles are the metric for a software library, that won't turn around overnight and at launch.

As I said previously: optimistic. :P

You should understand exactly why if that's the case. It's inelegant for one, and it falls afoul of being different simply for the sake of being different; there's no utility in using a secondary device to handle tasks the console itself can do without issue, minimalist OS design or not.

Making matters worse is said console is marketed under the guise of being portable, and whose design emulates that of a tablet. "Hey, check out my Switch that I just picked up. Awesome, isn't it?" "What's game do you have, let's play something?" "Yeah, let me go grab my phone/tablet/smart device."

What the hell? A companion app should be used to enhance the experience, not be a vital necessity.

Because the idea is daft.

Oh, no doubt, it still comes at the cost of inelegantly juggling two devices. Why not just play games on my phone/tablet/smart device if that's the case?

If you or anyone else is a parent and finds the idea compelling that's fantastic, but this just makes me want to scream into a pillow. I have to tolerate something as unnecessary as this because it was (presumably) designed as a child safeguard?

I'm not socially awkward, but if I were I'd be having an aneurysm right now.

I'm interested in seeing how it works and being proven wrong.

took the words right out of my mouth. Requiring a secondary device to be with you at all times ruins the point of the console being portable.

As with any announcement these days, seemingly, it's greeted with derision and gnashing of teeth!

My smart phone is in my pocket 24/7. For me I really don't see this being a problem. And I would guess there are many others, maybe even the vast majority, who are in the same position. Let's wait and see what the app brings to the experience and how it's implemented before dismissing it ;)

What I don't see being a problem is Nintendo being able to use the same 3.5mm audio jack the Switch has for both audio and voice chat. The PSVita did it, and the device even comes with its own built-in microphone. I give mad props to Sony for that because not all earphones have mics on them. If the Switch's hardware really is pretty good and would not pose any problems, it shouldn't have any issues handling standard online features such as party invites and voice chat.

What if during your blissful online gaming session outside the house, your smartphone runs out of juice and you forgot your charger or external battery? What if you tried to pull out your smartphone but your hands are a bit slippery, so the phone ends up falling to the ground and breaking on you? I can also imagine a scenario wherein you can't use the app because you need the phone for more important stuff, and doing both at the same time drains the battery like how a supercar consumes fuel at full throttle.

If the Switch's hardware really is pretty good and would not pose any problems, it shouldn't have any issues handling standard online features such as party invites and voice chat.

We don't know that it won't ;)

What if during your blissful online gaming session outside the house, your smartphone runs out of juice and you forgot your charger or external battery? What if you tried to pull out your smartphone but your hands are a bit slippery, so the phone ends up falling to the ground and breaking on you? I can also imagine a scenario wherein you can't use the app because you need the phone for more important stuff, and doing both at the same time drains the battery like how a supercar consumes fuel at full throttle.

And what if a big asteroid hits the earth and we all die, no one can game them, have Nintendo made allowances for that?!? The points you have made are meh, much more chance of your switch running out of power than your phone, if your holding your shiny new Switch I'm gonna assume you make sure your hands are not slippery in case you drop it and if you need your phone for more important stuff your not going to be playing on your Switch you're going to be doing important stuff on your phone.

Look I'm not saying anyone is wrong for seeing a problem with it. As I originally said, for me, I don't see it being a problem and I'm sure many others will see it the same. I also said let's wait and see what it entails before dismissing it. And that's my point. People jump to huge conclusions based on limited information and hail something as the next best thing or the worst thing ever. Now that truly is daft ;)

We don't know that it won't
My head just hurts reading this:

Services are "handled" by the phone app. I don't know how it could mean "not mandatory to have the app".

if you need your phone for more important stuff your not going to be playing on your Switch you're going to be doing important stuff on your phone.
but Phones are meant to be these all in 1 systems, you can use them for both important stuff, calls, text and games.

Saying you won't be using the app because you use your phone for other stuff is a bit silly.

Services are "handled" by the phone app. I don't know how it could mean "not mandatory to have the app".

And later down the line we might find they are also 'handled' by the console. Both could be the case. Let's wait and see.

but Phones are meant to be these all in 1 systems, you can use them for both important stuff, calls, text and games.

Saying you won't be using the app because you use your phone for other stuff is a bit silly.

And it's a bit silly to suggest that a phone with a much longer battery life than the switch and a much more efficient use of it's power is going to be problematic in terms of battery.

And once again:

Look I'm not saying anyone is wrong for seeing a problem with it. As I originally said, for me, I don't see it being a problem and I'm sure many others will see it the same. I also said let's wait and see what it entails before dismissing it. And that's my point. People jump to huge conclusions based on limited information and hail something as the next best thing or the worst thing ever. Now that truly is daft ;)

And later down the line we might find they are also 'handled' by the console. Both could be the case. Let's wait and see.
You'd think if it's handled by both they would say it's handled by both and not just say it's handled by the app.

And it's a bit silly to suggest that a phone with a much longer battery life than the switch and a much more efficient use of it's power is going to be problematic in terms of battery.
Depends on how much the app drains in battery life, as well as what game the Switch is playing (and I assume) and what brightness. The Switch can for 6 Hours at the most, while a phone can go less than that.

And once again:
Did I say anywhere on here that implied that I think you are saying we're wrong?

You'd think if it's handled by both they would say it's handled by both and not just say it's handled by the app.

I, and nobody else, can categorically say either way. Let's wait and see when we get a definitive answer.

Depends on how much the app drains in battery life, as well as what game the Switch is playing (and I assume) and what brightness. The Switch can for 6 Hours at the most, while a phone can go less than that.

So once again, we don't know how it will drain the battery life so lets wait and see before thinking the worst.

Did I say anywhere on here that implied that I think you are saying we're wrong?
No.

PSA: Amazon have a £10 voucher for purchases £50 and over today.... BIGTHANKS.

I just pre-ordered Zelda BoTW for £38 after Prime discount. :D

I, and nobody else, can categorically say either way. Let's wait and see when we get a definitive answer.
I feel like it gives more details on the worst, I mean if they both run it, then they would've told us instead of just saying the app handles it.

So once again, we don't know how it will drain the battery life so lets wait and see before thinking the worst.
We know it can vary between games. Phone might be stable but some games might be able to outlast still. Also, the Switch doesn't have to be in portable mode. You can be playing in console mode where the phone dies out while playing.

Of course this is applying people starting playing them all fully charged (which I know I don't with my devices).

Then what is the point of that comment?

PSA: Amazon have a £10 voucher for purchases £50 and over today.... BIGTHANKS.

I just pre-ordered Zelda BoTW for £38 after Prime discount. :D
ooh, I got a £20 Amazon gift card for Christmas that I've been waiting to use. Job done!

I feel like it gives more details on the worst, I mean if they both run it, then they would've told us instead of just saying the app handles it.

We know it can vary between games. Phone might be stable but some games might be able to outlast still. Also, the Switch doesn't have to be in portable mode. You can be playing in console mode where the phone dies out while playing.

Of course this is applying people starting playing them all fully charged (which I know I don't with my devices).

Then what is the point of that comment?

Circles?

Circles are overrated, I prefer what we all are Squares ;)

I think my new plan is to wait until it's cheaper, or if they release a cheaper version OR a used Switch.

Don't think I'll get a brand new fresh Switch as of now.

Circles are overrated, I prefer what we all are Squares ;)

I think my new plan is to wait until it's cheaper, or if they release a cheaper version OR a used Switch.

Don't think I'll get a brand new fresh Switch as of now.
Good plan, see what the console is actually like at release and make a much more informed decision.

So, since I don't really play online (example, my XBox Live subscription ended in August but didn't notice until like a week ago), it's whatever for me.

Still intend on picking it up about the the time Skyrim releases for it.

Back