Nintendo Switch

Looks great @Brend! I can only go by the demo/trial event version of Splatoon since that's all I played(which was a long time ago now), but it seems smoother and possibly quicker - maybe snappy is a good word to use. Its definitely a promising title. There are probably only one or two launch titles that interest me so far, and nothing is a must buy so, even if I can afford a Switch right away I'll probably wait until summer/fall to get one....unless something else is coming we don't know about yet. On that note, has anybody heard any whispers on Metroid? Any hints at possible development? That would be huge for me. And if they brought that new 3ds Mario sports game over and gave it a Switch facelift:D

@Benny44 -- Did you play Another Metroid 2 Remake? It's a recent fangame for Windows and every bit as good as Zero Mission, upon which it is closely based. Nintendo shut down the official downloads, but if you're willing to dig around a bit there are fans keeping it available (it's the internet, it will always be on the internet).

Thank you @Wolfe! Zero mission is one I've never played because I never owned a GBA. Looks a bit like an updated original Metroid. I will find it - and I will download it (I just did that in Liam Neeson's voice:boggled:). Anyway, it looks great. It's been a long week so tomorrow after I'm home I'll have a project :D

As I did say a few pages back, I think there's more to this Smartphone malarky than we know at the moment. Would be a shame if VC was just limited to external devices.

To add to this further, a Nintendo UK uploaded hardware breakdown specifies the audio port does have support for microphones.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....interesting. I'm not a big online gamer, unless it's GT6, but this is certainly good news. Maybe the app will just allow extra features (which he sort of mentioned in the video) that may not be absolutely necessary. Here's hoping!

Like I said before, the Switch was designed masterfully and has many interesting tech features. Genius machine. I haven't seen that video; just wanted to say these things.

I miss the days when you could count on Nintendo to be backward compatible with the previous generation of hardware.

Most of you may have seen me make mention to Twitch a lot lately. Well, I've asked a few people in Twitch streams what they thought about the Nintendo Switch. Most of the responses I got were that a lot were pretty intrigued about it while a few others don't seem too excited. Most of whom I asked were mostly intrigued by it. Then too, we didn't know what to expect when the Wii was in development. The Switch won't exactly set the world ablaze, but there is no way I see this as a complete failure. I don't see the Switch as the biggest failure since the Virtual Boy. I am also not going to attribute the Switch being any failure by its specifications. You learn to make the most of what you have and what you are given. As a gaming example, think of all the Minecraft players that make all kinds of great-looking worlds and structures.

I would still get a Switch on the first day if I had the money and if I actually wanted to wait in line to get one.

I miss the days when you could count on Nintendo to be backward compatible with the previous generation of hardware.

Agreed, but at the same time, it's understandable here because backwards compatibility isn't really feasible in this case. It's a very different system than either the Wii U or 3DS.

And Nintendo really did need to go this route... all the people hoping for a traditional console from Nintendo akin to the PS4 or XB1 are foolish. That'd be suicide for Nintendo, considering people already have PS4 or XB1s... and even if Nintendo's system were on the level of PS4 Pro, it still wouldn't be a particularly compelling proposition relative to the competition's already established platforms.

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be $24.99, at worst $29.99... sounds fairly reasonable.

Anyway, the on-point marketing ramps up. They've got a superbowl ad:

And an extended cut of it:

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been posted but the Switch control surface looks much more portable than the WiiU's.

Nintendo-Switch-vs-Nintendo-Wii-U.png

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/2/14482712/nintendo-switch-vs-wii-u-gamepad

Four weeks today until launch. :D

Ever since I played the console, I've totally become disinterested in the stuff I already own! I'm so ready for March 3rd.

Three weeks!!

I'm glad the PCars 2 info bomb dropped so I can focus on something else in gaming rather than longing for my shiny new Switch :D

Three weeks!!

I'm glad the PCars 2 info bomb dropped so I can focus on something else in gaming rather than longing for my shiny new Switch :D
Eevery day is a struggle, spent a good hour or so catching up on the Treehouse Live stuff from the reveal last month.

Also, ordered a Pro Controller for launch day. Whoops. :D

I was supposed to do a write up on this yesterday, but I forgot.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to attend a Switch event in my city on Friday.

The first thing I noticed was the amount of people that turned out. It was a pretty considerable amount, honestly. I guess their marketing is working.

I was able to play;

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Arms
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
(Snipperclips was there too, but I ran out of time, unfortunately.)

The first thing I played was Mario Kart, and the first thing you notice is how bright the screen is on the Switch. There was hardly any glare, if any at all, and it was incredibly easy to see what was going on. The Switch itself, despite being tethered to something for security purposes, was incredibly comfortable to hold.

Next was Splatoon 2. I was terrible at it, but the Joy-Con slotted into the grip was a great controller. It took a couple minutes to get used to the button placements, but after that, it was incredibly easy to use. It doesn't look like the most comfortable thing to use, but it genuinely feels great in the hands.

Next was the game that I was most apprehensive about, 1-2 Switch. At this point, I was only able to play the "Quick Draw" mini game.

Damn.

It was good.

Despite the game not really looking like all that in trailers and such, you need to play it. It's incredibly competitive, and stupid fun. Like, ridiculously fun. We found ourselves going back to that booth the most during the day.

Next was the game that I was most excited to play, Breath of The Wild. Unfortunately, you only got 10 minutes with the game before you had to come off (while walking into the venue, you were given a card with a time on it; this was the time you were allocated to play BOTW). Despite the short amount of time, and me not being a huge Zelda fan, I thought the game was amazing. The representative who was talking to me as I was playing the game told me that the massive section that I was playing in was only 2% of the full game. Unfortunately, there were a few frame drops in the demo, but the representative told me that this wasn't the final build, and was basically the Wii U, E3 version of the game ported to the Switch. I also had an opportunity to try out the Pro Controller. It was great. Incredibly comfortable to hold, and definitely one of my favourite controllers. It felt a lot like an Xbox One controller, actually. The only minus that it has is probably that it has digital triggers instead of analogue.

Next was Arms, which had a huge line. My absolute first impressions were that it would be sort of like Wii Boxing, but it really wasn't. It was definitely worth it; my favourite game there. Hell, I'd say that this is the game you'd want with your Switch. With 2 players, the action is incredibly fast paced and competitive, and the game is incredibly easy to get to grips with. The controls aren't very difficult to learn, and you can really string together some complex techniques after playing for a short amount of time. This game is probably the reason I'll forgo a Pro Controller when I end up buying a Switch; I'll buy an extra set of Joy-Con instead so I can play Arms with someone else. :)

The Arms line was so long, that we had less than 15 minutes to try anything else, so we hit up Mario Kart again (as that line went by the fastest, due to 7 people playing at a time). I came 2nd.

I was taken out by a Blue Shell on the last few corners of the Animal Crossing track.

Thanks, Luigi.

Anyway, before we ran out of time, we decided to hit the other two 1-2 Switch games that were being showcased at the event, which was "Ball Count" and "Milk".

Ball Count really showed off that "HD Rumble" thing that Nintendo were talking about in the conference. That stuff about you feeling water and ice cubes inside of the Joy-Con? They weren't kidding. It genuinely felt as though small balls were rolling around the inside of the controller.

I got it right both times I played. :sly:

Finally, we played the "Milk" game. It's weird, to say the least, but it still managed to be incredibly fun. After playing the three 1-2 Switch games, I'm really considering buying it, just for parties. It's honestly a really fun game to play, but I'm still not sure if I want to pay upwards of £45 on what is pretty much a tech demo.

Overall, I think Nintendo really have a winner in their hands with this one. It's priced well, the games are incredibly fun, and the marketing is off the charts compared to what they've done previously.

Waiting for this to come out got a whole lot harder.

I was supposed to do a write up on this yesterday, but I forgot.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to attend a Switch event in my city on Friday.

The first thing I noticed was the amount of people that turned out. It was a pretty considerable amount, honestly. I guess their marketing is working.

I was able to play;

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Splatoon 2
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Arms
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
(Snipperclips was there too, but I ran out of time, unfortunately.)

The first thing I played was Mario Kart, and the first thing you notice is how bright the screen is on the Switch. There was hardly any glare, if any at all, and it was incredibly easy to see what was going on. The Switch itself, despite being tethered to something for security purposes, was incredibly comfortable to hold.

Next was Splatoon 2. I was terrible at it, but the Joy-Con slotted into the grip was a great controller. It took a couple minutes to get used to the button placements, but after that, it was incredibly easy to use. It doesn't look like the most comfortable thing to use, but it genuinely feels great in the hands.

Next was the game that I was most apprehensive about, 1-2 Switch. At this point, I was only able to play the "Quick Draw" mini game.

Damn.

It was good.

Despite the game not really looking like all that in trailers and such, you need to play it. It's incredibly competitive, and stupid fun. Like, ridiculously fun. We found ourselves going back to that booth the most during the day.

Next was the game that I was most excited to play, Breath of The Wild. Unfortunately, you only got 10 minutes with the game before you had to come off (while walking into the venue, you were given a card with a time on it; this was the time you were allocated to play BOTW). Despite the short amount of time, and me not being a huge Zelda fan, I thought the game was amazing. The representative who was talking to me as I was playing the game told me that the massive section that I was playing in was only 2% of the full game. Unfortunately, there were a few frame drops in the demo, but the representative told me that this wasn't the final build, and was basically the Wii U, E3 version of the game ported to the Switch. I also had an opportunity to try out the Pro Controller. It was great. Incredibly comfortable to hold, and definitely one of my favourite controllers. It felt a lot like an Xbox One controller, actually. The only minus that it has is probably that it has digital triggers instead of analogue.

Next was Arms, which had a huge line. My absolute first impressions were that it would be sort of like Wii Boxing, but it really wasn't. It was definitely worth it; my favourite game there. Hell, I'd say that this is the game you'd want with your Switch. With 2 players, the action is incredibly fast paced and competitive, and the game is incredibly easy to get to grips with. The controls aren't very difficult to learn, and you can really string together some complex techniques after playing for a short amount of time. This game is probably the reason I'll forgo a Pro Controller when I end up buying a Switch; I'll buy an extra set of Joy-Con instead so I can play Arms with someone else. :)

The Arms line was so long, that we had less than 15 minutes to try anything else, so we hit up Mario Kart again (as that line went by the fastest, due to 7 people playing at a time). I came 2nd.

I was taken out by a Blue Shell on the last few corners of the Animal Crossing track.

Thanks, Luigi.

Anyway, before we ran out of time, we decided to hit the other two 1-2 Switch games that were being showcased at the event, which was "Ball Count" and "Milk".

Ball Count really showed off that "HD Rumble" thing that Nintendo were talking about in the conference. That stuff about you feeling water and ice cubes inside of the Joy-Con? They weren't kidding. It genuinely felt as though small balls were rolling around the inside of the controller.

I got it right both times I played. :sly:

Finally, we played the "Milk" game. It's weird, to say the least, but it still managed to be incredibly fun. After playing the three 1-2 Switch games, I'm really considering buying it, just for parties. It's honestly a really fun game to play, but I'm still not sure if I want to pay upwards of £45 on what is pretty much a tech demo.

Overall, I think Nintendo really have a winner in their hands with this one. It's priced well, the games are incredibly fun, and the marketing is off the charts compared to what they've done previously.

Waiting for this to come out got a whole lot harder.
Seriously...how good is ARMS!?

I honestly adore it, can't wait for it to release. I have similar feelings about 1,2 Switch, could be a party show stopper.

My Switch hype is through the roof, I just want to own the damn thing. :D

I'm not sure sharing this may be too sensitive or classified to post on this forum, but there's a rumor going around concerning the development process of the Switch. Some of it may not even be relevant with the Switch that will enter market a few weeks from now. But if it's anything to go by, there is a lot to see

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343614&page=1

There's massive detail on specifications, developers' kits, etc.

Back