Nintendo Switch

I did expect it to be announced in a Nintendo Direct, I think Nintendo are stalling the announcement as they aren't sure how to show it off in the best fashion. I imagine we'll get a direct then on the run-up to release there will be 'tours' in malls etc. that allow you to try it out prior to release. Similar to what they did with the 3DS.

Nintendo is reportedly skipping TGS, so I suppose it'll either be a surprise announcement at Gamescom (the NX is excluded from the list NOE sent out) or a Direct-like digital presentation.
Nintendo is known for skipping the event anyways, so it is no skin off our backs. So a Nintendo Direct it is then.

A new Nintendo Direct came and went without the slightest hint of the NX.

Maybe they still have a surprise Direct planned for around TGS, and were just using this one to get all their 3DS stuff out of the way so that they can focus solely on the NX? I can't really see how they could push the unveiling back much farther... come December, people will be giving up on it and deciding to blow their hard earned pennies on PS4s and Xboxes this Christmas. So really, it's gotta be November at the absolute latest. Otherwise, we might be looking at the NX release date getting pushed back a few months.

Maybe they still have a surprise Direct planned for around TGS, and were just using this one to get all their 3DS stuff out of the way so that they can focus solely on the NX? I can't really see how they could push the unveiling back much farther... come December, people will be giving up on it and deciding to blow their hard earned pennies on PS4s and Xboxes this Christmas. So really, it's gotta be November at the absolute latest unless they delay the NX's launch.
A new report is suggesting the 3DS will still be supported until 2018. Very interesting to say the least.

They stated in advance that this Direct would not feature the NX. No reason we can't expect another one soon.

Maybe they still have a surprise Direct planned for around TGS, and were just using this one to get all their 3DS stuff out of the way so that they can focus solely on the NX? I can't really see how they could push the unveiling back much farther... come December, people will be giving up on it and deciding to blow their hard earned pennies on PS4s and Xboxes this Christmas. So really, it's gotta be November at the absolute latest. Otherwise, we might be looking at the NX release date getting pushed back a few months.
I'm still betting on a surprise Direct around Tokyo Game Show. It is the only reasonable time point where plenty of hype is built if they are to meet a March 2017 console launch date.

With Pokemon Company's CEO's talk of Pokemon games on the NX, it seems quite possible that NX PR machine is being primed.

A Direct at the end of this month or at the beginning of next month wouldn't surprise me.

The announcement has surely got to be in the next 2 weeks, they'll end up doing a SEGA Saturn at this rate!

About damn time for some NX news.

Teaser or not, getting some semblance of an idea of an inkling of what this thing could possibly maybe might be can only be a good thing, considering it's supposed release date in March 2017.

I'm terrified. I expect Nintendo will follow the same road into paid online and no backwardless capability.

I'm terrified. I expect Nintendo will follow the same road into paid online and no backwardless capability.
Chill. Whatever happens will still happen no matter what. Pay for online? Aimed at a console with a perceived very young player base? Doubt it. No backward compatibility? New tech means I'm sure we won't have that.

So, is everyone pretty much convinced it's going to be a Hybrid system then?

So, is everyone pretty much convinced it's going to be a Hybrid system then?

I think so. If not, I skew more towards the idea of it just being a straight-up portable device.

I mean, Link has a 🤬 tablet in Breath of the Wild... c'mon.

Here's an interesting thought though: If there is a handheld component to the NX, will it have a 3D screen? On one hand, the lack of a 3D screen would make it seem kinda like a downgrade relative to the 3DS... but on the other hand, console-grade graphics in a mobile device is a tall enough order without having to also do 3D.

Last edited:
Hope it's not some gimped console. Ninty should invest more in their hardware and also IP's they haven't touched in years rather than Mario #3828319383 and Mario Kart.

I mean do them but not just them...

Hope it's not some gimped console. Ninty should invest more in their hardware and also IP's they haven't touched in years rather than Mario #3828319383 and Mario Kart.

I mean do them but not just them...
Couldn't give a toss about powerful hardware if the games are there.

Personally the best games I've played this gen are still The Wonderful 101, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. All Wii U exclusive.

Agreed. We're at a point where graphics are so good, even weaker "last-gen" specs can still produce stunning visuals. Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Zelda: Breath of the Wild... all gorgeous looking games.

What truly gimps a system is a lack of compelling software.

lol.png

:lol:

Best part... still coming out in March, no delay! :lol:

Gotta say... I'm salivating over the thought of the Pokemon games after Sun/Moon.

Last edited:
Really innovative piece of kit. The sliding action seems like something which would be really satisfying, it's like you have some super hero utility belt :lol:

Only thing is, how is this meant to be as powerful as current gen in a portable unit? Is it's performance shared across the base unit like in a MS Surface Book fashion?

Also note to Nintendo, buy more server capacity next time!

Looks like a lot of Wii U titles will be making the, ahem, switch to the Nintendo Switch. Theoretically this should mean a rather robust launch lineup, especially for people who didn't buy the Wii U. Kinda hoping Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets ported over, it needs more love and would make a killer launch title for JRPG fans.

Back