Nintendo Switch

@RESHIRAM5 -- The details imply Mario Kart NS and Splatoon NS are both new games. Maybe not full-step sequels, but not remasters of the same content either. I'm ambivalent about Splatoon NS, but MK8 is so thoroughly enjoyable that I'm on board just for new content and (hopefully) a few new features. Its physics and mechanics are more than solid enough for another go.
I did see that but not sure If I want to pay full price again :(.

I guess no BC would be expected going back to catridges since when the GC went to disc there was no backwards capability for N64 games.

I don't know where all the 'will be as powerful as the PS4 / XB1' came from. If there is no secondary GPU in the dock a Tegra will never be able to deliver a system which is graphically on par with the current gen which I thought was one of Nintendo's main aims.

Well now that was cool. I hope this is received as well as the original Wii was. My biggest concern is that, as mobile games continue to get more advanced, this won't really lure folks who aren't traditionally interested in gaming in the same way that system did.

But I do like that it's focusing on the core feature: gaming itself. No multi-media "one box to rule them all" crap, just an easy-to-understand approach. The modular build is pretty cool, IMO.

Not too concerned with it not matching the power of Sony or Microsoft systems; that's not really what's ever attracted me to Nintendo. That said, I wonder how many multi-plats are going to really find their way on there, especially with the Pro and Scorpio coming.

I don't know where all the 'will be as powerful as the PS4 / XB1' came from. If there is no secondary GPU in the dock a Tegra will never be able to deliver a system which is graphically on par with the current gen which I thought was one of Nintendo's main aims.
If the chip is custom made, like Nvidia is claiming, then it is entirely possible that the Tegra-based chip is all that it would need. At the very least, it is powerful enough to handle Skyrim Remastered and should be powerful enough to perform with the best of the remasters if they decide to port over. I suspect that Square might consider it with the main series Final Fantasies just to keep pace.

With this Nvidia architecture, third parties who would be willing to support tablets/mobile ought to find it easy enough to similarly support the Switch even if it lags behind the Xbox and Playstation in specs. If the Switch can find a foothold, Nintendo could simply ride the coattails of mobile development to revive their third party support, while keeping gamers and Nintendo fans happy with physical controls out of the box.

It will be interesting to see how they handle portable mode, if they will drop performance and maybe lower resolution and detail to maintain FPS and have reasonable battery life or if total peak performance of hardware will be limited full stop. Might be most up-to-date gaming hardware Nintendo has released in recent times. I wonder how developers will handle the ARMv8 architecture for proper games, should have more peak performance than the likes of PS4 Pro but wonder how useful it is. Hopefully it is at least the level of PARKER SoC, so should have about 0.7TFLOPS of GPU power so if ran at lower resolution than XB1, should get similar looking and performing games. Maybe get also the odd 4K game.

NVIDIA-Tegra-Parker-SOC_Features.png

If they make the 10nm process for launch systems, then definitely a day one buy. If not, I hope Nintendo will do a small revision later in the year so it has better battery life and thermals, I will get one then if they do. Good to see a big gaming company making use of the latest mobile technology, I wonder how the next iPad might compare which might release at a similar time and if there will be Switch ports to iOS and Android platforms. Hopefully boosts mobile gaming quality. Sony hopefully creates a PS Vita successor, maybe 7nm they might target and be like a portable PS4 system which might last a long time. Finally I wonder if Nintendo can achieve backward compatibility similar to how Microsoft managed.

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen from Nintendo's YouTube channel, I'm intrigued about what this new Nintendo Switch has to offer. Maybe this is Nintendo sick of being told it's a shadow of its former self or that it no longer can hold a candle to Sony and Microsoft in the console realm. Maybe Nintendo has built their dream console and are ready to tackle us with their brand of awesomeness. To me, I'm intrigued about this Nintendo Switch. It may seem a lot complicated switching this thing around like a Transformer (is this thing an Autobot or a Decepticon?), but I do think it has a good amount of shelf life to it. Some people thought the Gamecube was a failure. If you ask me, the only real failure from Nintendo was the Virtual Boy (and I wanted one back then!). So my hopes are rather high for this thing.

I surely want to see more in regards to the Nintendo Switch. Part of me says this system could be quite the game changer. Perhaps this system can be better utilized and with more support than the Wii and Wii U. I sure want to play around with this thing once it's released proper.

I mean, Nintendo could've tried to go for a regular console and maybe even succeeded in carving out a modest chunk of that market for themselves...

But really, do we need yet another samey console with the same exact game library as the others except for a few exclusives? There's barely any point to owning both a PS4 and an Xbox One as-is, so what do we really want? A Nintendo-brand PS4 that simply has Zelda instead of Bloodborne, or something different? I vote for the latter, so I'm glad that's what Nintendo's delivering.

I think the rumors of it being $300 sound pretty spot-on. Supposedly Nintendo's going dark for the rest of the year regarding Switch news, so I wouldn't bank on getting an official price soon.

I mean, Nintendo could've tried to go for a regular console and maybe even succeeded in carving out a modest chunk of that market for themselves...
The problem is that, if Nintendo do what Sony and Microsoft do and make a "regular console", Nintendo isn't going to compete. Regular console means the only thing it has besides games is power, graphics and internal features. Which, I think how Sony and Microsoft are handling this, the issue is not only do they have to compare against themselves but also to PC which will always take 2 steps every time a regular console only takes 1 step, it's gotten to the point that the PS4 and Xbox ONE need upgraded 4K versions to keep people who want more power happy. This is a lot easier than making another "Box that plays games".

As for games, I got to agree, it's going to be a lot like this gen consoles (all PS4, X1, Wii U, 3DS and PS Vita) where at launch it relys on ports remakes and remasters of previous games or games already on other console (with a hint of console exclusives that in the end don't mean much) and then awhile later real new exclusives start to show up.

For anyone hoping for more new info, you're gonna have to wait a while since Nintendo won't say anything new about the Switch until 2017:

It's safe to say this guy was pleased :lol: Language warning.

I was reading this as someone who doesn't like Nintendo gaming and thinking that the Switch actually is cool and then I see a video like that. That guy ruined it haha.

Seriously, though, the portable two player thing would be brilliant on lunch hours for games of FIFA.

So uh, how 'bout we imagine up some dream launch window line-ups? :lol:

Super Mario All-Stars 2 (Containing SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, and 3D World... to tide us over until Galaxy 3)
Xenoblade Chronicles Collection (XC & XCX)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Persona 5 would be nice... but I think Atlus will take their time and develop an expanded portable version a la Persona 4 Golden)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
NBA 2K17
Splatoon Switch
Mario Kart 8 Switch
Dark Souls 3 Complete Edition
Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Street Fighter V

I actually hope a Galaxy 3 never happens. I still don't like Galaxy 2 so much :lol:. I also want a fresh new Mario concept instead of another Galaxy, 3D Area, New, 64 or even Sunshine.

When I was reading more about this system on WIRED and The Verge, I found out games will come on these little cards. Kind of like Nintendo DS cards or SD cards. Perhaps Nintendo is trying to pave its own gaming path rather than follow the convention of having a decent console. This alone may be worthy of respecting Nintendo. However, if you're going to go down this path, what can you do better or differently compared to convention? The impression I'm getting is that Nintendo wants to take the classic home gaming experience and offer it at home and on the go with little to no compromise. I tend to like the idea of having proper versions of games rather than trying to generate the same experience with a home version and a mobile/portable version. So rather than playing two different versions of one game, you have one basic game made for one system. The Nintendo Switch has a lot of things going for it. I want to believe in this thing rather than most people hoping this becomes Nintendo's version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Nintendo being tight-lipped about further details of the Switch means we can only speculate what games and gaming will be like once the Nintendo Switch hits the market. I do remain hopeful this system will not be a flop. The potential is surely there for it.

Just realised something... No passive 3D screen?
Certainly doesn't look like it.

It's understandable though... they need this thing to be affordable, so cost-cutting was inevitable. And 3D is, frankly, a gimmick. And one that a lot of 3DS owners don't even use.

Plus 3D has adverse effect processing & battery life, so really they killed three birds with one stone. Besides, rumor has it that the battery life on this thing will be pretty rough as-is... Approximately 3 or so hours. Wouldn't really surprise or bother me if true, but could definitely be a problem for some.

Certainly doesn't look like it.

It's understandable though... they need this thing to be affordable, so cost-cutting was inevitable. And 3D is, frankly, a gimmick. And one that a lot of 3DS owners don't even use.

Plus 3D has adverse effect processing & battery life, so really they killed three birds with one stone. Besides, rumor has it that the battery life on this thing will be pretty rough as-is... Approximately 3 or so hours. Wouldn't really surprise or bother me if true, but could definitely be a problem for some.

I guess when the 3DS came out it was the peak of the 3D fad and since then the appeal has waned but I'm sure with such a huge catalogue of games supporting it some would miss that functionality, especially if this is supposed to eventually replace the 3DS and Wii U. I guess Nintendo weighed it up and thought it wouldn't be worth it for the reasons you highlighted. It was a good unique selling point though as the only mainstream passive 3D gaming console.

( NSFW Language )

All good points, Nintendo were slightly cheeky showing games in the reveal trailer that are in no way confirmed for the system. It does give an air of desperation by them yet again to try and reinforce, whether true or not, that they do have good 3rd party support. Yes their 1st party games are excellent and make their systems but they also loosing a huge part of the market who aren't fans of Nintendo's IP.

Portable consoles have been pretty badly supported by 3rd parties for a very long time. Even the PSP mostly had cut down versions of PS2 games rather than bespoke made games. This time with the Switch the potential for messing up is even higher because people will not be expecting even cut down versions of games, they will expect AAA multiplatform releases because it's supposed to also be a home console!

Nintendo need to start throwing money round pretty quickly, pay people to bring games to this system if they have to because it needs to do well.

Last edited:
( NSFW Language )

I think he's taking the "can't confirm or deny" PR spin of these 3rd party devs too seriously.

If they weren't coming to the Switch, these devs have no reason not to just flat out say that. It's just that there are other business factors involved that makes them want to be a little bit soft with their confirmation. If everyone gets hyped for Skyrim on the Switch, are they gonna bother buying the upcoming remastered version that drops in a few days?

Am I the only one that thinks this is to large and bulky, and probably a bit to heavy? I mean mine thin 8" samsung tablet is a pain to hold up more then 10min. The stand is nice and all but when gaming on the go I want a small and light device that I can hold near my face for a loong time at time. With Switch it seems I have to hit the gym just for play some Mario :P Imagine if they could have made it a bit smaller, like an 6" "phablet" with those joycons would be perfect solution for a potable handheld device. Or they could just release a normal console and Nintendo app for smartphones with those joycons. But still, all in all it is Nintendo so will be buying :P

Last edited:
Back