Nintendo Switch

I haven't been able to find a source on this, but someone on Twitter said that the Switch is region-free.

If so, hallelujah.

Games: Is that Skyrim Remastered? Plus "Mario Kart 8 Switch" or MK9, now with two item slots and new content (King Boo), and Mario's next 3D adventure, unshackled from the fixed camera of SM3DW. "Splatoon Switch" also has new content and features, indicated by the addition of hairstyles tentaclestyles. And then Breath of the Wild, of course...and basketball or whatever. :P

Hardware: The handheld unit and controller bits were pretty much exactly as expected, but the dock looks slick and convenient. The controls are the same as the Wii U, so does that mean Gamepad support for home use? Between the Wii, Wii U, and Switch, this might be the first to justify buying a Pro controller. I suspect the Pro-like peripheral that connects to the "ears" for home use is bundled with the console, but I think I'd prefer to have at least one Pro controller this time.

It's notable that they didn't show any touchscreen gameplay, or even dualscreen gameplay. Or motion controls. Or anything but "core" games popular on Xbox/Playstation and new titles based on the most popular "core" games for Wii U. If you don't have a Wii U Gamepad, can the handheld unit even be used as a second screen? It looks like it can't, based on how the dock appears to work. Breath of the Wild for Wii U may be the definitive version after all if you value dualscreen gameplay over portability.

Why is everyone so excited? It seems like a Vita in bigger packaging and a few gimmicks thrown in.

Um, how about because it's a bigger Vita... more like a Vita 2 though since it's more powerful. And one that the company making it can't afford to prematurely give up on.

Huge list of 3rd party developers & publishers on board to support. Enough power to run slightly downrez'd ports of actual console games instead of half-baked "console-esque" games. Nintendo's first party support consolidated on one platform instead of divided between two.

A5TbsaH.jpg

And a main "gimmick" that'll actually be quite handy for a change. Vita's great but it'd be nice to be able to easily play it on the big screen... PSTV's basically a console version of Vita that allows you to play on your TV, but you can't play it on the go. This allows people to live the dream of a seamless console/portable setup. And even if you're not big on portable gaming, multiple docks could allow for easy transitioning between rooms in your house... which some people might find handy.

It's notable that they didn't show any touchscreen gameplay, or even dualscreen gameplay. Or motion controls. Or anything but "core" games popular on Xbox/Playstation and new titles based on the most popular "core" games for Wii U. If you don't have a Wii U Gamepad, can the handheld unit even be used as a second screen? It looks like it can't, based on how the dock appears to work. Breath of the Wild for Wii U may be the definitive version after all if you value dualscreen gameplay over portability.

Pretty good point... though I must say I never really liked the dualscreen gameplay of the Wii U. Kinda handy, but having an huge illuminated rectangle in your hands is obnoxious and distracting when you don't wanna look at it. And I won't miss games overusing the dual screen in gimmicky ways, like Tokyo Mirage Sessions did with constantly recieving text messages from characters and having to read them on the controller.

Last edited:
So...Anybody want to buy an Xbox One S? :lol: :lol:

That is THE best thing I could have hoped for after seeing the rumors. What a beautiful thing.

Press release details have provided some names for this stuff: the dock is the Nintendo Switch Dock, the detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers ("Joy-Con L" and "Joy-Con R"), the accessory to the Joy-Cons for home use is the Joy-Con Grip, and they're still using the Pro moniker for the traditional controller.

Interesting how the Joy-Con L necessitated the redesign of Nintendo's iconic D-pad.

Press release details have provided some names for this stuff: the dock is the Nintendo Switch Dock, the detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers ("Joy-Con L" and "Joy-Con R"), the accessory to the Joy-Cons for home use is the Joy-Con Grip, and they're still using the Pro moniker for the traditional controller.

Interesting how the Joy-Con L necessitated the redesign of Nintendo's iconic D-pad.
See that Splatoon? We'll be back at it soon. :D

I predicted this with my mock-ups... my initial one had a regular D-pad, but I changed it to individual buttons because imagined that they'd allow the two halves to be used separately in multiplayer.

I didn't get the layout of Joy-Con R right though... I made my "Joy-Cons" rounded all around so they'd be comfortable to hold regardless of orientation when using just one of them individually, whereas only one half is rounded comfortably on the real deal which necessitates the right thumbstick being lowered so that it's on the left side when holding Joy-Con R individually. Making the Joy-Cons completely rounded may have been unfeasible though, so I'm not saying Nintendo's decision here is poor or anything like that... just that it's interesting.

Yeah, basically... but with a cleaner design, switching between mobile use and playing on the TV made super easy and convenient, and more serious game publisher/developer support specifically for this device.

Just seems like one of these with detachable controllers.

View attachment 599104

Or an Nvidia Shield.

View attachment 599105

It's closest cousin would be something like the Razer Edge gaming tablet...

_DSC1593_678x452.JPG

It all depends on if there is any hardware in the dock which improves the graphics and resolution when in home console mode. Nvidia have confirmed it (the portable unit anyway) is powered by a custom Tegra processor.

I'm currently compiling all available information in the OP. Will notify you when that is done.

Also, my apologies for not editing the thread title. I was in the middle of cleaning my room when the news broke.

It all depends on if there is any hardware in the dock which improves the graphics and resolution when in home console mode. Nvidia have confirmed it (the portable unit anyway) is powered by a custom Tegra processor.
At the very least, being docked to a power supply could enable the Switch to run at full speed.

Ok the console looks really cool :D. I love how the expanded the Wii Us gamepad idea into a full on portable hybrid, amazing controller too.

Seeing King Boo in Mario Kart 8 really intrigued me, also worried me. Worried the Switch won't have backwards compatibility at all and instead like the PS4, you have to rebuy every single Wii U game you like for the Switch remaster.

Ok the console looks really cool :D. I love how the expanded the Wii Us gamepad idea into a full on portable hybrid, amazing controller too.

Seeing King Boo in Mario Kart 8 really intrigued me, also worried me. Worried the Switch won't have backwards compatibility at all and instead like the PS4, you have to rebuy every single Wii U game you like for the Switch remaster.
Did you also notice there were TWO item slots? Interesting to say the least.

Worried the Switch won't have backwards compatibility at all and instead like the PS4, you have to rebuy every single Wii U game you like for the Switch remaster.
A bit late on the criticism there. It was already all but confirmed that the Switch would run on SD card-based cartridges. No place for a disk drive at all. Furthermore, they are rumored to have switched from an AMD-based architecture to Nvidia-based architecture. No room for BC anyways.

Did you also notice there were TWO item slots? Interesting to say the least.
I hope it's just idea testing for a Mario Kart Switch AND NOT are remake of Mario Kart 8.

The 2 item concept is interesting, I hated how you could technically hold 2 before MK8 just because of how much unfair defence 1st place has but with this 2 itesm switch system, I think it's been balanced.

I hope it's just idea testing for a Mario Kart Switch AND NOT are remake of Mario Kart 8.

The 2 item concept is interesting, I hated how you could technically hold 2 before MK8 just because of how much unfair defence 1st place has but with this 2 itesm switch system, I think it's been balanced.
It's a stretch but might be worth considering:

-They showed off a double dash circuit
-The trailer featured a new character who was last seen in Double Dash
-Double item holding

... Double Dash 2?! :lol:

A bit late on the criticism there. It was already all but confirmed that the Switch would run on SD card-based cartridges. No place for a disk drive at all. Furthermore, they are rumored to have switched from an AMD-based architecture to Nvidia-based architecture. No room for BC anyways.
The last time I checked on that before the reveal, it was just rumours.

It's a stretch but might be worth considering:

-They showed off a double dash circuit
-The trailer featured a new character who was last seen in Double Dash
-Double item holding

... Double Dash 2?! :lol:
Surely you mean "Quadruple Dash". :dopey:

@RESHIRAM5 -- The details imply Mario Kart NS and Splatoon NS are both new games. Maybe not full-step sequels, but not remasters of the same content either. I'm ambivalent about Splatoon NS, but MK8 is so thoroughly enjoyable that I'm on board just for new content and (hopefully) a few new features. Its physics and mechanics are more than solid enough for another go.

Back