Nintendo Switch

I don't regret my purchase, but I'm not sure the Switch is the place to look for story-driven games at the moment... at least ones that aren't JRPGs. There are some, but they're mostly smaller fare and multiplatform. I'd reckon that the platform will eventually become home to a rich visual novel library due to its popularity in Japan... a Phoenix Wright collection and a new entry are supposedly planned for Switch, and the next game from Kotaro Uchikoshi (of 999/Virtue's Last Reward fame) is also Switch-bound. But if you're looking for big-budget cinematic experiences akin to what you find with Playstation's exclusives, you're probably gonna be disappointed.

Switch's biggest titles (Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW) aren't really story-driven experiences. Currently, the Switch's biggest story-driven exclusive would probably be something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is a JRPG. It's possible that the next Zelda might have a stronger narrative focus, but that could be years away and certainly isn't a guarantee.
thanks! you comment made me thinking. I have some classic arcade on my phone which I rarely anymore because of the awkward controls. How are the controls of the switch with these games? I am interested in re awakening my love for side scrolling beat m ups and platform games. Is it worth buying a switch with zelda and mario to play these kind of games?

@PocketZeven -- If you like platformers and arcade-style games, the Switch has got a flood of those and will probably continue to receive a steady stream of them. :)

The Joy-Cons are a bit small for people with larger hands, though not as bad as the DS/3DS and well-suited for a portable device. The ability to split up one Joy-Con per player is a nice feature. If you would do a lot of gaming with the Switch docked at home, the Pro Controller is a good investment. 👍

@PocketZeven -- If you like platformers and arcade-style games, the Switch has got a flood of those and will probably continue to receive a steady stream of them. :)

The Joy-Cons are a bit small for people with larger hands, though not as bad as the DS/3DS and well-suited for a portable device. The ability to split up one Joy-Con per player is a nice feature. If you would do a lot of gaming with the Switch docked at home, the Pro Controller is a good investment. 👍

I am thinking about complementing it with my ps4. I dont think the switch will replace my PS4 Pro for living room gaming. I am now thinking about buying the switch, because its format is far better for retro gaming for me. I think it will more likely be a replacement for gaming on my phone. I just cant get used to controls on the screen. Having real buttons and anolog sticks is already a large improvement.

By the way, add me on Switch if you want to play Mario Kart against me:

SW-1862-6288-3016

Only game I've got so far for online. Will buy more soon.

After 70 phenomenal hours - I have had my share of Octopath Traveller. All 32 main chapters done and dusted with my main team hovering around level 63 and the b-team at level 30 or below. :lol:

I loved this game so much but I have no interest in the supposedly mental final dungeon. The idea of the stories all tying up has no relevance to me since the contained nature of each character made it all worthwhile. Tressa was the biggest disappointment, her final chapter was a farce to assumingly push the final dungeon in the player's faces if you missed the hints from other characters. Leon was ironically much more interesting and I wish he was there in place of Tressa.

All in all, I'd say it's my favourite game if the year so far JUST pipping put Celeste. There's a lot of heavy hitters still to come so it'll probably change but Square did an insane job. A solid 9.5/10 for me.

I think the next game for me to focus efforts on will be a return to Xeno 2. It just got pushed to the back of the pack after 25 hours of playing time and then the overly complex nature of the game just turned me off going back to it. No hiding now. :D

@Brend I purchased Octopath Traveller yesterday.

Pokemon is the only other RPG game I've ever played so the tropes and cliches of fantasy RPG is still quite fresh on me. Tressa was my starting character and so far I've just added a fourth member to my party.

I have really enjoyed it so far and look forward to playing it more in future. Nice to have something other than Mario Kart to play!

@Brend I purchased Octopath Traveller yesterday.

Pokemon is the only other RPG game I've ever played so the tropes and cliches of fantasy RPG is still quite fresh on me. Tressa was my starting character and so far I've just added a fourth member to my party.

I have really enjoyed it so far and look forward to playing it more in future. Nice to have something other than Mario Kart to play!
Great choice! I love how easy it is to jump in and out of OT.

I finally completed Super Mario Odyssey yesterday.

full

And what a satisfying journey it was! I’ve played every 3D Mario bar Galaxy 2, and Odyssey is hands down my favorite. I really hope it gets a sequel one day. There’s so much potential with Cappy and the capture mechanic that can be expanded upon.

I am addicted to Zelda Botw now. The first 2 hours I was really disappointed and the games seemed very boring. I was roaming around with no seemingly no purpose and the world looked very empty. After the innitial impression I was prepared to give the game another chance and started exploring the immense open world. Now I think the game is one of the best I ever played. I am at 60 hours now and played only 1 dungeon. Trying to first explore the worldmap first and as many shrines I encounter. This game is absolutely amazing!

I am shocked,,.... Nobody here got a Monster Hunter addiction :scared:

Need to hunt monsters on all platforms, since generation ultimate landed last week on my switch i need to get a fix every day :nervous:

More addicts here?! :cheers:

I've beaten Hollow Knight, coming out to 77% completion at just short of 24 hours, which is fairly long for the MV genre, though it started to feel like it was dragging on. It's a high-quality game I would recommend, but I would have liked some more intricate platforming/navigating and a less monochromatic aesthetic.

Now I'm sinking my teeth into Torna: The Golden Nation, which is remarkable for a DLC expansion. Not decided yet on whether it makes sense for a standalone release -- it appears to be substantial enough, but there's so much that will sail over your head if you haven't played Xenoblade 2. IMO there's too many things left totally unexplained, despite getting tutorial prompts on the gameplay basics when you start (which would be out of place if it was only DLC, yet is probably too much information at once for the uninitiated).

@Mrs Wolfe wants to collect a physical copy anyway, for future safekeeping like any game that is otherwise available digitally, and to maybe display the case on our shelf of Xenoblade things. That's probably why the standalone version was made. :lol:

I am waiting for the joy-con bundle to come out first. Really would like to hear your feedback.

Game is pretty good if you have people over often or a family to play with. I don't think it reaches the heights of gamecube Mario Party but it's in the top 3 or 4 I'd say.

The fact that you have to use the half joycon and nothing else as a controller is a little frustrating personally. But hopefully we'll get the pro controller support soon

Game is pretty good if you have people over often or a family to play with. I don't think it reaches the heights of gamecube Mario Party but it's in the top 3 or 4 I'd say.

The fact that you have to use the half joycon and nothing else as a controller is a little frustrating personally. But hopefully we'll get the pro controller support soon

Do you think the games playable for younger kids aged between 4-7?

Okay, my library is up to a dizzying four games now plus two free downloads.

Mario Kart
Everything as it should be. Played it loads, my only racing game, it's great fun every time I'm online.

Crash Bandicoot
A solid remaster. These games are bloody tough and it's nice to have a challenging platformer. In an effort for 360 degree fluidity I think the controls are a bit sloppy which is annoying. Haven't played it in a while.

Octopath Traveller
Excellent game. Only at chapter two of Tressa and Cyrus' stories (lv. 24ish), everyone else is further behind (lvs. 15-21). I've never played Final Fantasy or RPGs in general except Pokemon so all the tropes and cliches of the genre are still quite fresh on me. I really enjoy it and the boss battles are so damn tough. The quirky pseudo Olde Englishe approach is quite cute. I will definitely be going back to this game but it's currently supplanted by...

FIFA 19
I love football and this is the first football playing game I've owned in about 7 years. The AI is absolute gash though; they do absolutely everything to not score. I really hope that a fix is coming.

It's better to play online but it seems to be 50/50 whether I get a smooth online match or FIFA via PowerPoint. I've never played a football game online before and it's so thrilling when I win!

I also have Fallout Shelter and NES Classics but only because I'm a Jewish magpie who can't resist something shiny and free. Not played the NES classics and I have played Fallout for a bit but microtransactions can do one. Not interested.

For the first time today, I got to play "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild." I didn't get too far in my play- mostly just equipping some clothes and doing some light exploring. So I never got the chance to really go through the game. Maybe I'll get to do some more exploring next chance I get to play it.

I did, though, got to accustom myself a bit more with Super Mario Odyssey from the same kiosk. It just... Mario is an example of how Mario games never get old or re-hash a lot of the concepts to where you've done and seen everything. The greatest gaming franchise never run out of ways to stay fresh. Mario is one of those franchises playing S.M. Odyssey.

I will be reluctant to go further with Breath of the Wild.

For the first time today, I got to play "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild." I didn't get too far in my play- mostly just equipping some clothes and doing some light exploring. So I never got the chance to really go through the game. Maybe I'll get to do some more exploring next chance I get to play it.

I did, though, got to accustom myself a bit more with Super Mario Odyssey from the same kiosk. It just... Mario is an example of how Mario games never get old or re-hash a lot of the concepts to where you've done and seen everything. The greatest gaming franchise never run out of ways to stay fresh. Mario is one of those franchises playing S.M. Odyssey.

I will be reluctant to go further with Breath of the Wild.

To be fair I found the first few hours of Zelda also a bit boring. Then I decided to unlock the whole map first before deciding to finish the game or call it quits. 100+ hours later I still cannot explain why the game is so good. Is it the exploration? The simple but satisfying combat? The fun puzzles in the dungeons and shrines? There is little variation in enemies, most of the map is quite empty and I still was drawn back into it. The simplicity of the story also makes it less a chore to pick up the game after not playing it for a while. Some open world games really need you to recap the story to get back into it. Not at all with Zelda.

It is the same for Mario. I cant explain why it is better then others... It just is.

The Messenger is great. I've enjoyed it more than Hollow Knight. Tight gameplay, some devious level design, and an admirable attention to detail and polish. Structurally it's fairly similar to Guacamelee, but a bit more focused, balanced, and challenging where it needs to be. It took me around 18 hours to finish, and didn't feel like it was starting to overstay its welcome like Hollow Knight. I wish there was a bit more to the map, actually.

Also unlike Hollow Knight or Guacamelee, this is a game I could see replaying again. Once you really get the hang of the gameplay it is satisfying to slice and zip your way across the map, and the soundtrack has good energy. :)

It's been awhile since I've been here. How are you Nintendo Gamers doing :D

I've been mostly chilling on casual games, Super Mario Party I recently got and I quite enjoyed a lot about it, recently did all the Master Challengers. The multiplayer is great and would strongly recommend it for anyone who wants a bunch of friends over but it has a few balancing issues. The Warp Pipe is such a stupid item that costs dirt cheap, I don't even think going for Stars immediately is the right tactic, just grind the Wiggler shop with the Warp Pipe (which is easier on the Fruit Island) and then use them all in the last few turns for an instant 2-3 Stars before the bonus. The only tactic I don't think it works is Kameks one which IMO is the best board to play for some Party Fun. Also seriously 🤬 Daisy and Shy Guy, the standard deviations are not right for a Mario Party. Wario is almost bad but I find him only useful in Whomp Ruins for the guaranteed Ally. I do like the Minigames a lot, Train in Pain is absolutely my favourite.

Aside from that, just usual Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and FAST RMX to pass the time, hoping to get Starlink (Digital), Smash and Pokemon Let's Go (out of just being a Pokemon fan, I think the Let's Go games are going to be terrible) in the future

Final direct for Smash Ultimate

• Incineroar and Ken are the final newcomers to the starting roster
  • Piranha Plant is coming to the roster as DLC
  • We have a new story mode (kind of), it is more simpler than Subspace and takes a more RPG approach using customizable characters called World of Light
I hope Necrozma is a boss in World of Light, it was a role it was born to play.

Glad me Incineroar got in the game and killed Ken in the trailer.
Praying for a classic character that was on NES for dlc though, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden

TTM
Glad me Incineroar got in the game and killed Ken in the trailer.
Praying for a classic character that was on NES for dlc though, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
I'm surprised he was chosen since he was the least popular of all the starters in Sun & Moon, while Primarina (my favourite) probably wouldn't make sense as a fighter, Decudieye was a believable candidate

However I have no problem with this, Incineroar is my 2nd go to starter over Dec. and love his wrestling based moveset that feels kinda similar to several WWE games just in a 2D Plain, since I play a lot of WWE game I might grow a liking to his playstyle and I do like when a character is chosen due to it being an interesting fighter instead of just because it's popular (even though I want Waluigi to be Playable so bad).

Something to note about the Direct in 2nd viewing:

• Customized Moves appears to be making a return, you can see in the Mii custom menu that their move set has number icon hinting at altered versions of those moves. While this could only return to Miis. Should be noted that in the Amiibo custom menu (that was using Peach) there was a Customization option below the Upgrade and Smash option (where you upgrade your Amiibo with spirits) which could be where you could place custom moves on.

I'm surprised he was chosen since he was the least popular of all the starters in Sun & Moon, while Primarina (my favourite) probably wouldn't make sense as a fighter, Decudieye was a believable candidate

However I have no problem with this, Incineroar is my 2nd go to starter over Dec. and love his wrestling based moveset that feels kinda similar to several WWE games just in a 2D Plain, since I play a lot of WWE game I might grow a liking to his playstyle and I do like when a character is chosen due to it being an interesting fighter instead of just because it's popular (even though I want Waluigi to be Playable so bad).
Yeah, I mean I figured a new pokemon would make it cause they always do and I’m personally glad it was Incineroar because Litten was my starter in ultrasun haha!
His movesets look awesome. Can’t wait to play it.
Another dream character of mine would be Chrono from Chrono Trigger. That would blow all the minds that haven’t been blown!
And yeah, this soundtrack is also dank

Yeah, World of Light alone makes this a day one buy for me.

And just when I thought the theme of this game couldn’t get better, they add singing to it. :eek:
This is pretty much how I felt when watching the direct :lol:

Although it would be wasted potential if Necrozma isn't a boss in this mode.

Back