Nintendo Switch

I played Grid Autosport on XB360, but anything better than just another sloppy port of a NFS game (or a bargain-bin NFS spinoff title) is a plus. đź‘Ť

My copy will be coming in the mail today. I decided to pick up the Smash Ultimate Gamecube controller as well. Can’t wait. :D

My copy’ll arrive later today. And Joker being the first DLC character sold me on the fighter pass.

Mine was supposed to come today but looks like Royal Mail have let me down to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

Never played Smash. Is it any fun as single player? Or would you only recommend as a multiplayer?

It’s fun in both single player and multiplayer, although many would argue that Smash is the most enjoyable when you have a group of friends to play with. But this particular game has a big campaign mode called World of Light if you’re more into single player.

It’s fun in both single player and multiplayer, although many would argue that Smash is the most enjoyable when you have a group of friends to play with. But this particular game has a big campaign mode called World of Light if you’re more into single player.

Thanks. Wish there was a playable demo to see if its something I would like and if my small kids would enjoy.

Never played Smash. Is it any fun as single player? Or would you only recommend as a multiplayer?
I’ve been playing single player of this one. It’s so fun!
Unlocked villager and Ryu. I’ll run villager in classic mode. I want Isabelle so bad! :drool: <3

Tried to defeat my main Corrin but got countered and died almost instantly. Fell into despair and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and learned you can just attempt to fight them a second time in the games and more section.

But yeah, got it on digital because I never want to take it out. Had a friend over and we learned the old adapter for the WiiU still works.

Game of the year, 10/10

I had a great time unlocking all of the characters and getting used to the new feel, stages, characters, and items, and have started World of Light. Unfortunately, it's not what I was hoping for in an adventure mode. :indiff: It lacks the sense of personality it's trying for, and a lot of it consists of fighting AI that are deliberately made to be exceptionally irritating.

The classic mode is more like what I wanted to see. The themes are done better and the bonus stage is a little taste of the "ultimate" adventure mode that could have been ( :( ). I especially like how the final boss varies depending on the character you're playing.

I've noticed Samus has gotten some much-deserved buffing, and I'm enjoying playing with Ridley and Dark Samus, as well as having Wolf back. I like Inkling the most of all the newcomers, more than I expected. He/she is easier to use than he/she looks. :)

I’ve put a lot of time into World of Light so far and IMO it’s the best single player mode in all of Smash.

Subspace Emissary from Brawl honestly didn’t do much for me in the grand scheme of things, outside of the cutscenes. It started off strong but the novelty wore off as it was filled with generic worlds and enemies. And there was such a heavy focus on being a platforming adventure, which I don’t think is Smash’s strong point. Now, it would be nice for WOL to have short platforming segments like in Melee’s Adventure mode but those not being there isn’t a deal breaker to me. I’m also having more fun with WOL alone than the entirety of Smash Wii U, which only had a butchered and ridiculously difficult Classic Mode and a bunch of mini-games that I spent little time on. Not to mention Smash Tour. :yuck:

What I like most about WOL is how it takes advantage of the game’s sheer amount of characters, stages, assist trophies, items, etc. to create all of these unique battles and some of them are quite clever.

Granted, WOL does have issues. My biggest is the difficulty. It can be all over the place at times. One moment, you’re beating spirits left and right and then the next, you’re up against this really difficult battle that can take several tries to beat. It’s just jarring to hit a wall like that. And then there’s the notorious spirit battles like The Boss and Pauline that I managed to win only because I got lucky and the AI killed itself. Fortunately, there’s only a handful of these it seems.

Overall though, I’m enjoying the Spirits portion of the game very much. And with 1200+ spirits to collect in both the WOL and the Spirit Board, I see myself getting many hours of playtime out of it.

Subspace Emissary from Brawl honestly didn’t do much for me in the grand scheme of things, outside of the cutscenes. It started off strong but the novelty wore off as it was filled with generic worlds and enemies. And there was such a heavy focus on being a platforming adventure, which I don’t think is Smash’s strong point...
Subspace Emissary also lacked a sense of personality like World of Light, which undermined the whole effort. I also wasn't happy with the singleplayer content in SSB4. I don't really get it, because Adventure Mode in Melee set a great example to follow and it just won't be repeated, it seems. There's so much that could be done with even just a breezy tour of only the game's most popular IPs in the form of objective-based platforming levels.

I disagree on platforming not being one of Smash's strong points. The game is functionally akin to a Kirby game -- the way attacks and platforms work roots back to Kirby Super Star. It is definitely a platformer-based brawler, and I think a platforming adventure fits well. For some less-popular characters, such a mode could be their best or only outing in years.

There are some clever matches in World of Light, and I would still like to collect some of my most-wanted characters in spirit form. It's interesting how strong the perks you can get are. I also get the distinct impression that Monolith Soft had some creative input on World of Light, because a few of its elements are awfully similar to Xenoblade 2. :P

Unlocked Cloud, Corrin, Richter Belmont, Mewtwo, and Bowser Jr during my playtime!
I also showed it to an Aussie friend of mine that Isabelle is the hotter, more powerful waifu character than Wendy. Beat Wendy up like fresh, never frozen beef! :lol::cheers:
Good times though. Laggy.

Subspace Emissary also lacked a sense of personality like World of Light, which undermined the whole effort. I also wasn't happy with the singleplayer content in SSB4. I don't really get it, because Adventure Mode in Melee set a great example to follow and it just won't be repeated, it seems. There's so much that could be done with even just a breezy tour of only the game's most popular IPs in the form of objective-based platforming levels.

I disagree on platforming not being one of Smash's strong points. The game is functionally akin to a Kirby game -- the way attacks and platforms work roots back to Kirby Super Star. It is definitely a platformer-based brawler, and I think a platforming adventure fits well. For some less-popular characters, such a mode could be their best or only outing in years.

There are some clever matches in World of Light, and I would still like to collect some of my most-wanted characters in spirit form. It's interesting how strong the perks you can get are. I also get the distinct impression that Monolith Soft had some creative input on World of Light, because a few of its elements are awfully similar to Xenoblade 2. :P
The similarities to Kirby are obvious but the issue is that the Kirby games are very slow-paced by comparison to the stop-start nature of Smash which is much faster. Subspace just felt clunky to me because of that, works perfectly in a fighting game environment - absolutely not for making standard platforming levels in my opinion.

Like others, I'm really enjoying World of Light - It's perfect in short bursts and also easy to lose a few hours in - I just wish the 10 minute 'Challenger Approaches!' unlocks still happened when you are in this mode because it would help unlock the full roster a bit quicker.

I'm loving World of Light and the Spirit Board, but that's no surprise to me... I love fighting games that have large single-player modes with lots of unlockables, and Ultimate has those in spades. I don't think I've enjoyed a fighting game this much since Soul Calibur 2.

Never played Subspace Emissary (before Ultimate, I could've counted the number of hours I've played Smash on one hand... and the N64 original would account for most of it), but I think I have to side with @Wolfe on the subject of platforming. The platforming and movement in general feel really good to me, and seem like a natural fit for platforming style gameplay... some people apparently loathe the autoscrolling stages, but I've had no problems with them and actually rather like 'em. But then again I've been mostly playing Marth who is fairly quick... perhaps some of the slower characters would feel clunkier.

The scrolling stages are a nifty consolation. I tend to use slower characters in Smash and I also tend to zip through Kirby levels when I'm not playing co-op with @Mrs Wolfe, so the difference in pace is not so pronounced to me. Co-op was part of the appeal of Subspace Emissary, too.

World of Light is certainly a very "contemporary" gameplay mode at any rate. I personally don't quite understand the appeal of gacha, and didn't like it any better in Xenoblade 2, but Japan apparently adores it and so does some of the rest of the world.

Gacha has the same appeal as cracking packs of trading cards, so I dig it. Or I should say... I dig it when real money's not a part of the equation, which unfortunately is rarely the case. Smash Ultimate and XC2 are refreshingly untainted exceptions.

Glad I got all the fighters unlocked before updating to 1.2, since it sounds like it nerfs the difficulty of the Challenger Approaching battles. I personally liked the challenge and not always getting them on my first try.

But hey, the benefit of going with physical... If I ever wanted to re-experience the 1.0 version of the game, I can. Sorry, digital duders. :P

I have fallen head over heels for Rain World. For anyone who can grit it through a tough game -- it is very challenging at times, and intentionally, poignantly unfair -- I highly recommend it. đź‘Ť đź‘Ť

What a marvel of a game to launch quietly on the eShop, out of nowhere. I didn't know it's already been on PS4/PC since March 2017, and I vaguely recall seeing animated GIFs passed around when it was still in development.

giphy.gif

So...

They said that SR3 will come out for this system next year? I hope SR4 will also follow shortly after, too..

So finally got Smash Bros Ultimate. Having trouble with the controls (joycons). As a beginner I dont have any history with a gamecube controller at all. But I do want to get a new controller for smash. Should I just finally get the pro-controller or should I go for a gamecube one?

I recommend the pro controller. It is comfortable, the buttons are bigger and more comfortable than the joy-cons (and in the standard layout, unlike the Gamecube controller), the D-pad is much better than the joy-con directional buttons (and more comfortable than the Gamecube controller's stiff little D-pad, but I'm not sure if the new ones are the same as the original), and it has a 40-hour battery life.

I asked for a second Switch pro controller as an xmas gift, because @Mrs Wolfe refuses to use the joy-con grip and it was worth it for both of us to have pro controllers. She hoards the special edition Xenoblade 2 controller because she loves Pyra, leaving me with the new plain black one. :lol:

I was always fine using the wiimote+nunchuck for the Wii and the Gamepad for the Wii U, but the joy-cons sacrifice too much for portability/size and the split joy-con multiplayer functionality to be comfortable as a primary controller in the joy-con grip. So the pro controller is totally worth it this time, in my opinion.

I recommend the pro controller. It is comfortable, the buttons are bigger and more comfortable than the joy-cons (and in the standard layout, unlike the Gamecube controller), the D-pad is much better than the joy-con directional buttons (and more comfortable than the Gamecube controller's stiff little D-pad, but I'm not sure if the new ones are the same as the original), and it has a 40-hour battery life.

I asked for a second Switch pro controller as an xmas gift, because @Mrs Wolfe refuses to use the joy-con grip and it was worth it for both of us to have pro controllers. She hoards the special edition Xenoblade 2 controller because she loves Pyra, leaving me with the new plain black one. :lol:

I was always fine using the wiimote+nunchuck for the Wii and the Gamepad for the Wii U, but the joy-cons sacrifice too much for portability/size and the split joy-con multiplayer functionality to be comfortable as a primary controller in the joy-con grip. So the pro controller is totally worth it this time, in my opinion.
The range of the joycons wirelessly is also pathetic compred to the wiimote and nunchuck. Can’t recommend the Pro controller enough. :D

Range is a non-issue for our arrangement (hence the Wii U Gamepad's battery life was a non-issue because it was almost always plugged in), but once in a blue moon I get the issue with the left joy-con disconnecting for no good reason.

Back