Nintendo Switch

Am I the only one that thinks this is to large and bulky, and probably a bit to heavy? I mean mine thin 8" samsung tablet is a pain to hold up more then 10min. The stand is nice and all but when gaming on the go I want a small and light device that I can hold near my face for a loong time at time. With Switch it seems I have to hit the gym just for play some Mario :P Imagine if they could have made it a bit smaller, like an 6" "phablet" with those joycons would be perfect solution for a potable handheld device. Or they could just release a normal console and Nintendo app for smartphones with those joycons. But still, all in all it is Nintendo so will be buying :P

Nintendo probably expects people to put it down with the kickstand and slide off the wireless controllers more than hold it as one unit. My 10" Surface Pro 1 weighs 1.5lb and nothing could be heavier than dealing with that!

It has now been confirmed that the Switch offers only single-screen gameplay. That's an unfortunate step backwards. With dualscreen gameplay laid to rest, I suppose it would make little difference to me if the screen is also not a touchscreen. The two concepts are best in tandem, and I'll be spending the majority of my playtime with the console in the dock.

It'll be a "normal" Nintendo console, like everyone demanded for years. I hope for Nintendo's sake that it pays off and the skeptics can see it through the unconventional form factor and portability, because the Wii U's dualscreen innovations deserved a longer run.

The impression I'm getting is that Nintendo wants to take the classic home gaming experience and offer it at home and on the go with little to no compromise. I tend to like the idea of having proper versions of games rather than trying to generate the same experience with a home version and a mobile/portable version. So rather than playing two different versions of one game, you have one basic game made for one system.
Instead of looking forward to a "proper" console-style experience on the go, I'm looking forward to not missing out on would-be-handheld-exclusives, playing them at home with a "proper" screen and controller. :)

I just hope there isn't so much pressure for HD console-quality experiences to thin out the creative risktaking possible with relatively inexpensive 3DS-style development.

So the Nintendo Switch is more like its own system, much like how the Mazda RX-8 was not meant to be a successor to the legendary RX-7? I don't think there should be too much to be disappointed about unless you're expecting something to spank the PlayStation 4 and XBOX One.

Okay... let's say the Switch ends up being an epic fail (like the Virtual Boy (I wanted one of those back then!)). Then what for Nintendo? And how can they rebound, if possible?

Depends, if they have enough money for 1 more round, they can probably go for another console. If they don't then they might pull a SEGA and become and 3rd party developer.

Okay... let's say the Switch ends up being an epic fail (like the Virtual Boy (I wanted one of those back then!)). Then what for Nintendo? And how can they rebound, if possible?
Pokémon money and handheld sales, that's how they'll rebound. Same as always.

As for myself, I'll have to wait and see how the line-up of games turns out. The concept of the Switch itself doesn't really sway me either way.

So the Nintendo Switch is more like its own system, much like how the Mazda RX-8 was not meant to be a successor to the legendary RX-7? I don't think there should be too much to be disappointed about unless you're expecting something to spank the PlayStation 4 and XBOX One.

They won't, they will stop being a hardware maker (at least from a home console view) and become a 3rd party games developer. It really is make or break for them now.

They won't, they will stop being a hardware maker (at least from a home console view) and become a 3rd party games developer. It really is make or break for them now.
If that's really the case, maybe I ought to straight up boycott them - I'd love Nintendo as a third party developer :lol:

Eh I wouldn't, problem then would be many Nintendo fans would have to deal with the 🤬 Sony and Microsoft that Nintendo don't which can make it a hard pill to swallow in cases. Especially since now there is upgraded home consoles and not even Sony supports free online.

Sony and Microsoft

Oh+ooohoho+dis+is+good+ima+save+thisand+praise+_4e6c5c83566d11734f7e2ecbb228ddbb.jpg

Going after a demographic you've not targeted before is the entire point of diversification strategies, though.
I'm talking about their games. PC/Steam isn't meant for the casual or cheap viewer. Nintendo always try to make their games accessible to the casual audience, Mario, Zelda and Kirby hardly the icon of a hardcore video game franchise. The accessibility wall is far higher over there than it is on PS4 and Xbox ONE.

Nintendo as a third party publisher would sure shake up the industry. Trouble is, I reckon they'd be too proud to publish on Sony and completely ignore the Xbox, much like Japan in general.

PC/Steam isn't meant for the casual or cheap viewer.
Steam (and the PC in general) has something for everyone. Last time I checked, games like Minecraft aren't exactly hardcore games and there's probably more F2P games on the PC than on any other platform. Just because the upfront cost for a (high-end) gaming PC is higher than a console doesn't mean PC gaming is only about playing MLG games at 144 FPS.

Besides, my impression is that "the casual gamer" is just as - if not more - likely to pick up the latest Battlefied / Call of Duty / FIFA as a Mario or Zelda game. Heck, I'm pretty sure that the people who are in the market for a Nintendo home console are closer to what one would consider hardcore gamers than the folks who're picking up a PS4 because the latest EA games looked dope in the TV commercials :lol:

I have done further research, and I can confirm that the Tegra chip that they are going to be using on the Switch is based on the Tegra X2 chip. One commenter from Eurogamer kindly pointed out the difference between the X1 and X2 chips is that the X1 features an on board "Maxwell"-based GPU while the X2 features an on board "Pascal" GPU.

Nintendo isn't underpowering this machine AT ALL!!!

Sources:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/22/parker-for-self-driving-cars/

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

Nintendo isn't underpowering this machine AT ALL!!!
Depends on your definition of "underpowered". The X2 is considerably more powerful than the X1, but the X2 is still considerably less powerful than the XBone and the PS4 - which are due for more powerful upgrades with Scorpio and the Pro respectively.

Powerful hardware isn't Nintendo's selling point, though, so I don't think it matters all that much. Just... Don't expect the Switch to impress with its graphics. 👍

Depends on your definition of "underpowered". The X2 is considerably more powerful than the X1, but the X2 is still considerably less powerful than the XBone and the PS4 - which are due for more powerful upgrades with Scorpio and the Pro respectively.

Powerful hardware isn't Nintendo's selling point, though, so I don't think it matters all that much. Just... Don't expect the Switch to impress with its graphics. 👍
The overall point is that Nintendo isn't purposefully selecting underpowered hardware just to make it cheaper, as they have done in the past. Furthermore, I would equate the X2 to be equal to current gen hardware on the sole grounds that they are using the "Pascal" architecture of GPU, and not Maxwell GPU, which has been proven that the Maxwell can be a power hog when looking at the performance per watt stat of each of the architectures.

I'm still hugely positive about the whole thing. Really looking forward to hearing more. Owned every console since the mega drive and can't wait to get my hands on this. I love hardware!

Steam (and the PC in general) has something for everyone. Last time I checked, games like Minecraft aren't exactly hardcore games and there's probably more F2P games on the PC than on any other platform. Just because the upfront cost for a (high-end) gaming PC is higher than a console doesn't mean PC gaming is only about playing MLG games at 144 FPS.
I won't deny it has something for everyone, especially since you can literally play almost every game thanks to emulation, but it isn't exactly easy for people who don't have the money for a high end PC and have any idea about specs or what games run on specific specs. Plus everything that can come with incorrect use of a PC, like virus's or instant slow down. Reason why Minecraft on consoles is successful is because it is much more accessible for the cheaper, younger and/or casual gamer.

F2P isn't something Nintendo doesn't really try either, granted Pokemon does and I actually think if Nintendo went 3rd party, Pokemon would go on the Phones.

I won't deny it has something for everyone, especially since you can literally play almost every game thanks to emulation, but it isn't exactly easy for people who don't have the money for a high end PC and have any idea about specs or what games run on specific specs. Plus everything that can come with incorrect use of a PC, like virus's or instant slow down. Reason why Minecraft on consoles is successful is because it is much more accessible for the cheaper, younger and/or casual gamer.

F2P isn't something Nintendo doesn't really try either, granted Pokemon does and I actually think if Nintendo went 3rd party, Pokemon would go on the Phones.
I've done this debate to death, so I'll keep it short:

Price
Initial buy-in is kinda for PC gaming, assuming you want to play the latest games and want them to look their best (if that's the case, you're pretty much limited to PC anyway...). It does mitigate over time, though, as the majority of games sells at a lower price at release - a significantly lower price, in some cases and gets discounted earlier and goes on sale more often. Moreover, peripheral equipment can't be phased out when the next "generation" is due, online is free and most people tend to keep a PC around the house anyway. On a budget, a mid-range or low-end PC, coupled with the heavily discounted games from a couple years back is likely going to get you the most gaming hours per dollar.

Set-Up
Building computers from modern components is rather simple. If someone know how to fasten a screw and how to build something from LEGO bricks, he's pretty much capable of building a PC. That aside, most websites that allow you to pick parts also offer assembly for a moderate fee.

Maintenance
Modern OS's basically keep themselves updated. You basically have to hogtie Windows 10, Geforce Experience and the various free anti virus software to stop them from maintaining themselves. Yes, things go funky if you start messing with stuff (like severe system instability when messing with your CPU's clocks without proper adjustment of the voltage *cough*), but basic maintenance is pretty much easy. Hell, my girlfriend is one of the least tech savvy people I know (she got her first ever smartphone three weeks ago) and even her laptop's been running perfectly for almost two years now. I have no idea where the idea that PCs are hard to maintain comes from, to be honest - and whatever problem I had was usually solved by googling. Things might be a tad difficult if the individual in question is not capable of using google, I'll give you that :lol:

But let's ignore all of that for a second; why would Nintendo exclusively target a casual, cheap, young and technically impaired audience? I most certainly don't see that reflected in this threat, for one :lol: So, let's look at it from a business point of view, shall we? Let's assume for a second Nintendo went third party, they're having a board meeting and they're deciding on what platforms to publish their games on. If they're already breaking with their tradition and going for a radically different strategy, what reasons do they have to publish on Sony's and Microsoft's console but withhold their games from PC? Steam, as a means of digital distribution, is all but ubiquitous (for better or worse), porting is easier than ever thanks to similar hardware architecture and Nintendo has no obligations to facilitate hardware sales for either Sony or Microsoft by keeping titles exclusive to their respective console. Basically, for a third party developer, it seems like a waste to not publish on all three outlets. Which obviously means that Nintendo aficionados could get their hands on Nintendo games without dealing with Microsoft's or Sony's business practices - which was the entire reason I posted Lord GabeN's picture ;)

However, the most pressing question ought to be: How likely is it that Nintendo actually does go full-on third party software developer? I'd say the chance is as close to zero as makes no matter. Assuming the Switch flops, I can see them doing one of two things: First, continue to put out (flopping) home consoles until the company eventually crumbles beneath a heap of failed attempts to relive their glory days. Stuff like this has happened to a good number of companies before - sticking to old strategies and formulas even though it's painfully obvious it's not working until it's too late. Obviously, there's no way I'd be able to assess whether the people in charge at Nintendo are willing to play a losing game till the bitter end. Assuming they're not, Nintendo might just axe its home console business (temporarily) to focus on the handheld market. In that case, publishing their strongest IPs on someone else's hardware would still end up being detrimental. Their franchises are still big names in the industry and will continue to help sell hardware - especially if there's only one system on the market to offer the authentic Nintendo experience. That might not earn them the most cash, I reckon, but if they were after maximising their short- to mid-term gains, I'd assume they'd have long started cranking out mobile games, at the very least.

I, hence, conclude that if they were to go third party, they'd release their games to PC as well as consoles, but they're 100% not going to become a third party developer soon. Soon as in "the next five to ten years".
Just to point that out: I was joking when I said I was going to boycott them based on my wish to see Nintendo become a third party developer.

Rant over. Sorry, this turned into a bigger wall of text than I initially intended :lol:

Oh, I thought you meant PC exclusive or PC priority :lol:

Porting games to PC wouldn't be a problem, SEGA does that.

I, hence, conclude that if they were to go third party, they'd release their games to PC as well as consoles, but they're 100% not going to become a third party developer soon. Soon as in "the next five to ten years".
Just to point that out: I was joking when I said I was going to boycott them based on my wish to see Nintendo become a third party developer.
I didn't think otherwise

I think the single biggest factor in whether major AAA games can or can't be ported to the Switch will be how much RAM this thing has.

AAA devs are getting comfortable with 8GB being the minimum spec... though many PC games which list 8GB as the minimum required spec can run on systems with less (such as The Witcher 3), though obviously using the page file and incurring a performance hit. But it can still run fast enough to be playable.

The thing is... I don't think they could get away with that if the Switch only has a measly 1-2 GB of RAM, presumably shared between system and video. Get 4 GB in this thing and reserve 4-8 GB of flash storage for page file use, and I think there won't be a single PS4/XB1 title that couldn't be ported to the Switch... even if the graphics have to be toned down to 720P for playable framerates.

Without touching the techie talk above, I am excited for this. Nintendo developing for one system instead of two is huge, theoretically doubling their game output or halving their time to put one out.
Listening to a podcast this morning, they brought out an interesting point based on the trailer(apologies if this has already been mentioned) - the guy takes his Switch out of the dock, takes it out and plays with it for a bit, then puts it back in a dock in a completely different place. Maybe it's possible to buy an extra docking station for it? I believe they've said the system is entirely in the removable part, so it makes sense we could buy an extra dock for $30(complete guess). Would be pretty cool if we could, it'd be pretty simple to move from room to room.
If Nintendo could have 80% or more of the power of MS or Sony's system, 3rd parties SHOULD be able to port to the Switch without too many issues. If you're buying a system and your favorite game is on all 3 consoles, Nintendo could have a serious winner on their hands, because why wouldn't you choose the one you can play at home and on the go? That would be absolutely best case scenario. I certainly wouldn't mind Nintendo being on top again.

Just because you have loads of power or impressive visuals and such doesn't mean you have the most baller system on the market. This is almost the classic case of the tortoise vs. the hare. The Switch's success may just be in trying to offer a great overall experience rather than trying to be the superlative and definitive console. Or as I've thought of it, perhaps the anti-console or non-traditional console.

I want to use my imagination and think about how I would use and utilize the Switch. One thing I will admit is that using this "controller" will seem better in the hands than, say, the Nintendo 64 controller. It will seem like a step up from the Gamecube controller. I have used the PlayStation Portable a few times. I want to imagine the Switch like a larger PSP, and maybe a larger PSP that you could control with a proper gamepad. I don't use any of the popular TV services (since I don't really watch much TV), but I can envision seeing shows and movies on the Switch like through Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and stuff like that. I may even imagine listening to music on it with Pandora or something. Of course... that is all assuming the Switch will come with such media services and applications.

If you ask me, I think the Nintendo Switch may just be the most adaptable console in gaming history. Just being able to enjoy gaming almost anywhere and in so many different configurations make this system at the very least intriguing. You know people are going to have arguments on which is the best console today once the Switch drops proper on the market. All I will conclude is that the Switch will be as unique of a system as you will find. Will it be something to spank the PS4 and XBOX One? No. Who said Nintendo was all-in to make an all-out console? Maybe people want a quality gaming experience without feeling like they have the Bugatti Veyron or Koenigsegg One:1 of gaming. It doesn't have to dominate every conceivable technology category or benchmark test to warrant purchasing. Even if it had poor performance numbers and ratings and was priced at $500+ USD, I'd still pay all $500+ USD for it just to enjoy the Nintendo gaming experience.

I am not excited much over the Switch, but I am definitely intrigued by it.

Regarding the success of the Switch... Well, I believe that it's not about its specs, maybe not even about getting the same third party games as the PS4/Pro and the XBone/Scorpio. The way I see it, it will largely depend on whether Nintendo's marketing department manages to convince enough people that they need a hybrid console next to the home console and the phone (and potentially handheld) they already own.
Oh, I thought you meant PC exclusive or PC priority :lol:
Nah, just wanted to mention it as an alternative for those of us who're not too happy with MS and Sony :D

Back