Nintendo Switch

@JohnBM01 -- Hey John! :) Unfortunately, about the only Nintendo talk I ever see here anymore seems to be scattered in profile posts. Your thread bump was a surprise.

Unless you have a burning desire to run Mario or that 1st party nintendo stuff or Mario Kart or Ring Fit Misadventures then there's not much reason for this.
There's a trend of indie titles outperforming their Steam releases on the eShop, making it an attractive and blooming destination for them. I could hardly ask for better, seeing the dismal state of things outside of the scope of Nintendo and smaller/indie developers, if you ask me.

Take those "big names" like Grid or Burnout Remastered -- in short, the high asking price is a symptom of their issues, not Nintendo's. I have few kind things to say about Western "big name" titles or publishers anymore. :lol: The Switch has been a lifeline from all that.

ALso Nintendo are kind of pushing Asphalt 9 as their "Forza" or "Gran Turismo" and seriously... this is a damn joke.
They're not. It gets highlighted because of the downloads it nets (or sales/DLC), and it gets plenty of downloads because it's F2P.

Nintendo does not seem to care one bit about having their own Forza or Gran Turismo -- not even something relatively colorful and personable. It is curious that they deemed Stunt Race FX worthy of the SNES app, though -- not that I'm complaining. :)

I have a switch or more correctly, I use someone else's switch. Racing games are dire on it. The big names like Grid and Burnout Remastered are like $50 but they're like $7,50 on steam and you may as well get it on steam and use an xbox controller if you dont have a desperate need to use a switch on the bus or in bed.

Racing games is not really a popular genre these days, many of them on PC, Xbox and PS are semi-sim to sim and they won't work well on a Switch while the arcade racer genre is pretty much dead these days. I still kept my hacked PS Vita around just for the pile of PSP racing games for when I'm away from home.

The pricing of the big name games is mostly the developer fault since they are also the only high production value games you can get on that device and I think the Switch community is willing to pay for the high price just to have their favourite old games on a portable device.

2ndly there's not an easy way (i've seen) to browse the store on PC.. sure you can do it on the switch but the thing is so laggy.

Deku Deals is pretty good way to browse the store for on sale and upcoming games: https://www.dekudeals.com/

Also Gear Unlimited 1 and 2 is wholesale crap too.

Never played the first one but I did grab Gear Club 2 when it is on sale for $10. I don't think it is that bad, at best it is mediocre but somehow I did finished the game in 50 hours and end up buying the Tracks DLC too. The DLC pit stops mechanics, different tyre compound choices and weirdly designed race track was more fun than the base game, might be a good direction to go for if they are still going to a 3rd game.

Still wouldn't recommend game after that many hours spent in it.

Last edited:

I was watching the Track Edition trailer for Gear Club 2 just out of curiosity and around the 0:46 mark they try to bite off the GT Sport additional content trailers so hard with the fonts and camera angles. Still looks like a crappy mobile game unfortunately, so GRID Autosport is still really the only mildly realistic racing game option for the Switch.

I was watching the Track Edition trailer for Gear Club 2 just out of curiosity and around the 0:46 mark they try to bite off the GT Sport additional content trailers so hard with the fonts and camera angles. Still looks like a crappy mobile game unfortunately, so GRID Autosport is still really the only mildly realistic racing game option for the Switch.

Oh my god, its a total rip off :lol: that’s actually embarrassing to look at

Just bought Skyrim for the switch (also bought it on Ps3, Ps4). My god, this is quite the achievement. It is amazing to relieve this game again, now on the go.

And it looks pretty crisp too! Best handheld system ever!

In the run up to this years holidays it looks like Nintendo stomped the other consoles .

https://m.hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/147204-nintendo-switch-outsells-ps5-4-to-1-run-christmas/
"You can clearly see above that the Nintendo Switch has been the best selling console of 2020. Some may be interested in the recent battles, as the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S became available in the second week of November this year. VGCharts has published estimates for what would have been a busy Christmas shopping week for the next gen consoles and Nintendo's Switch – 6th to 12th December 2020. Globally, for this crucial shopping week, the source pulled together the following numbers, in sales volume order"

1. Switch - 1,396,099
  2. PlayStation 5 - 365,048
  3. Xbox Series X/S - 192,413
  4. PlayStation 4 - 165,670
  5. Xbox One - 91,966
  6. 3DS - 4,845

In the run up to this years holidays it looks like Nintendo stomped the other consoles .

https://m.hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/147204-nintendo-switch-outsells-ps5-4-to-1-run-christmas/
"You can clearly see above that the Nintendo Switch has been the best selling console of 2020. Some may be interested in the recent battles, as the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S became available in the second week of November this year. VGCharts has published estimates for what would have been a busy Christmas shopping week for the next gen consoles and Nintendo's Switch – 6th to 12th December 2020. Globally, for this crucial shopping week, the source pulled together the following numbers, in sales volume order"

1. Switch - 1,396,099
  2. PlayStation 5 - 365,048
  3. Xbox Series X/S - 192,413
  4. PlayStation 4 - 165,670
  5. Xbox One - 91,966
  6. 3DS - 4,845

This isn’t very surprising?

PS4/XBO sales would inevitably decrease in the run up to a new gen starting, the 3DS is discontinued and it’s near impossible to pick up a PS5/Series X|S due to stock issues

I always though the Luigi's Mansion games were just developed first-party by Nintendo, interesting to see they were actually made in Canada all along.

Pokemon Snap to be released on April 30th. As a fan of the original, I'm really interested to see how this shapes up.

Didn't watch any of the E3 stuff aside from the Nintendo Direct because I was hoping to see a bit more Mario Golf gameplay. Pleasantly surprise to see that Advance Wars is getting a reboot. Played the crap out of the original one back in the day and even though, I'm not totally sold on the graphic style of it. I'm excited that the series is coming to the Switch. And it's being released on my birthday. :) Hope there's going to be a physical version.

Absolutely thrilled to see Metroid Dread announced. I am especially happy to see its a 2D side-scroller by the developers of Metroid: Samus Returns, a game I consider to be one of the best in the series.

Good to see something to hold over for Metroid Prime 4.

Boy, Metroid: Dread would be bigger news than Metroid Prime 4 -- a proper Metroid game in its proper 2D format -- if not for it being made by the developers or Samus Returns, IMHO. Not that I have played Samus Returns, but given what I've seen from Samus Returns as well as this, I dunno...I'm not convinced it will have the gameplay I expect from a 2D Metroid title.

I still think Dread stands a better chance of capturing the magic of the original series as opposed to Prime 4 with the shoes either game is expected to fill. The original Metroid Prime is a classic, but it isn't exactly a prime example of a Metroid-style game, and I'm sure Nintendo does not have a real solid grasp of what Metroid fans like...

For the first time in quite a while, I'll be picking up more than one game in a single week on the Switch. Tokyo 2020 and Mario Golf drop this week and I'm hyped for both. The SEGA Olympics game looks like the perfect balance of grounded and fun, whilst Mario Golf is a golf game - so of course I need to pick it up. 😎 Not too bothered about the "rush" element of the game but online should be great fun.

I wish Mario Strikers would come back...

Last edited:
Boy, Metroid: Dread would be bigger news than Metroid Prime 4 -- a proper Metroid game in its proper 2D format -- if not for it being made by the developers or Samus Returns, IMHO. Not that I have played Samus Returns, but given what I've seen from Samus Returns as well as this, I dunno...I'm not convinced it will have the gameplay I expect from a 2D Metroid title.

I still think Dread stands a better chance of capturing the magic of the original series as opposed to Prime 4 with the shoes either game is expected to fill. The original Metroid Prime is a classic, but it isn't exactly a prime example of a Metroid-style game, and I'm sure Nintendo does not have a real solid grasp of what Metroid fans like...
I would definitely suggest giving Samus Returns a try, it is the best 2D Metroid since Super Metroid if you ask me and no different in gameplay than any other 2D Metroid.

Can't say Dread will capture the same essence yet, but I am very confident considering it's the same team that made Samus Returns.

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest giving Samus Returns a try, it is the best 2D Metroid since Super Metroid if you ask me and no different in gameplay than any other 2D Metroid.

Can't say Dread will capture the same essence yet, but I am very confident considering it's the same team that made Samus Returns.
I may have to try downloading Samus Returns, but that is the only way I could play it -- being one of the last desirable titles held captive on the diminutive 3DS, I cannot play the original product comfortably.

So the best news here is that Dread is not a damned 3DS game. Finally, 2D Metroid is out of handheld purgatory!!! 🐺

I may have to try downloading Samus Returns, but that is the only way I could play it -- being one of the last desirable titles held captive on the diminutive 3DS, I cannot play the original product comfortably.

So the best news here is that Dread is not a damned 3DS game. Finally, 2D Metroid is out of handheld purgatory!!! 🐺
I was hoping they would port Samus Returns to the Switch, but not so sure they ever will. The 3D effect is pretty neat on the 3DS, though, but I am only able to play the game for a short period of time before it becomes uncomfortable. Otherwise, the game is one of my favorite Metroids in years so it really is a shame it cant be played on a TV.

After falling away for a bit, I have been absolutely hammering Bravely Default II recently, approaching the 40 hour mark.

It's a fairly good JRPG with an incredible soundtrack but maybe lacks that little bit of magic to make it stand out.

But still...

Switch OLED has been announced. No more powerful than the older model. Features a slighter larger OLED screen, 64GB of memory, better speakers, a wired LAN port and that's about it? Seems like it's more aimed towards people who use the Switch in handheld mode regularly. As someone who has their's docked the majority of the time. Doesn't feel like it's worth the upgrade.

The white color scheme is beautiful though.

Last edited:
My current Switch is still in pretty good condition so I probably won’t upgrade - but if they sold that new dock separately with the LAN port I’d pick that up as soon as I can

Switch OLED has been announced. No more powerful than the older model. Features a slighter larger OLED screen, 64GB of memory, better speakers, a wired LAN port and that's about it? Seems like it's more aimed towards people who use the Switch in handheld mode regularly. As someone who has their's docked the majority of the time. Doesn't feel like it's worth the upgrade.

The white color scheme is beautiful though.

This looks really nice and a possible purchase as I never bought the original Switch due to its lackluster specs and limitation in design. Just wish they up the spec in this model, apart from a sharper screen and LAN port (wtf) 🤔.

Like @TS050, I'd like to get the new dock separately if I could. Built-in ethernet would be great to have, because the wi-fi performance is obnoxious and the thing lives within feet of the modem. The USB plug-in just didn't suit me, partly because I don't play online, but it sure would be nice to be able to get through short video clips on the eShop. Our DSL isn't that bad -- I know because I have to look up and watch the videos on my laptop instead.

I wasn't expecting a processing-power upgrade yet, so I'm not surprised about that. I've wondered if the next Xenoblade/Monolith title might be hitched to such a thing, like the port of the original Xenoblade on the New 3DS.

Been into Mario Golf: Super Rush. Speed Golf and Battle Golf can get pretty addicting online due to all the calamity while trying to make well thought plays at the same time.

It does have the Mario Tennis Aces issue of not much content cause it'll get it later. Its free so not much complaints but you can easily just wait until all the content is out before you try it.

Also done the Mario Kart Open tournament last night, great fun. Was 7 points away from 300 :lol:

As for the Switch OLED, I think I'm fine without but I want the White Joycons, they look nice. Who wants to split? Someone gets the dock, I get the joycons the other guy has the console. :lol:

Feels weird knowing we haven't had a new Mario Kart in 8 years (not counting Tour and Deluxe). Feels like MK8D is going to be Switchs Mario Kart title afterall instead of just something for people who missed the Wii U title which has me a bit disappointed.

Been going back to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the 3 week Open Tournaments with a few mates with the last one tonight. Been getting me more into online which is where I'm starting to see problems with the item system. I think the Double item was a mistake to implement as I feel all it does is increase the amount of Red Shells pegged at you and it doesn't feel good to just get pelted to death with Red Shells. Especially if you are far enough 2nd can get Triple Red Shells. The amount of times I lost due to a Lightning Bolt and I'm the only passed the last set of items so I get hit by constant Red Shells is insane :lol:. Bob-ombs for 1st I also don't like, I feel it's usage to block items is 50/50 as you could just blow yourself up, and of you far away you can't really drop it but even if you can drop it. It feels kinda cheap.

Overall from my experience online, MK8D punishes you for getting too far ahead compared to MK8 which more rewarded as if you were good enough to get so far from 2nd, 2nd couldn't get Red Shells anymore. This is less of a problem in 200cc due to the increased skill gap making taking a few hits more bearable and Bob-ombs actually being good for defense. But for 150cc or less the distance based item system doesn't work with double items, red shells at stupid high frequency and Bob-ombs for 1st. This feels like Double Dash but everyone is a Koopa/Paratroopa main.

I think this why I want to see a new Mario Kart to have a fresh item system away from this. Mario Kart never exactly been fair but MK8D has been very brutal

Last edited:
@RESHIRAM5 -- In MK8 I've always had a better time with the "Frantic" items setting. I don't know if it's legitimately only because it's more random, but it smooths out keeping the lead without nerfing catching the leaders.

I never saw enough of a point in upgrading to the DX version. Playing MK online is begging for grief, and the Wii U remains hooked up for XCX and BotW in addition to MK8. So I'm waiting for an actual Switch MK game -- MK8 was such a leap forward for the series, IMO, that I really look forward to what the MK team comes up with next.

From MK64 to MKWii the series was kind of wandering off into being like Mario Party with go-karts, in a way. MK8 showcased a genuine-if-lighthearted gearhead vibe, bringing the series closer to its origins, like how the developers of the original SMK drove real karts to better recreate the experience.

@RESHIRAM5 -- In MK8 I've always had a better time with the "Frantic" items setting. I don't know if it's legitimately only because it's more random, but it smooths out keeping the lead without nerfing catching the leaders.

I never saw enough of a point in upgrading to the DX version. Playing MK online is begging for grief, and the Wii U remains hooked up for XCX and BotW in addition to MK8. So I'm waiting for an actual Switch MK game -- MK8 was such a leap forward for the series, IMO, that I really look forward to what the MK team comes up with next.

From MK64 to MKWii the series was kind of wandering off into being like Mario Party with go-karts, in a way. MK8 showcased a genuine-if-lighthearted gearhead vibe, bringing the series closer to its origins, like how the developers of the original SMK drove real karts to better recreate the experience.
Honestly thought the original MK8 item system was fine had a few issues but overall wasn't something I felt hindered the experience, MK8D just didnt balance it with the double item system right. Frantic in MK8D might be better as Triple items is possible for 1st so multiple Red Shells stop being a constant threat. I remember doing Frantic 50cc online with mates as a painful joke but it seemed to reward some sort of skill without too punishing for when youre behind which might be cause of frantic.

I can understand not upgrading. I only did since I'm the only one of my mates with a Wii U and 200cc kind of died on Wii U but on MK8D theres a tournament lobby solely for 200cc races thats still active. I think the real desire to upgrade will be your stance on Battle Mode. Im in unpopular opinion that I like MK8 Battle Mode. Donut Plains 3, Toad Harbour and Yoshi Valley definitely felt like they doubled up as Battle Courses and it was a perfect balance of MKWii and onwards Point System and MKDS and previous Elimination System, my only complaint was Ghosts still being able to knock out players which made online a bit too unpredictable. Was disappointed MK8D completely scrapped it for its Balloon Battle and Balloon Battle feels very weak compared to the other modes.

I don't think a lot of Switch games that are just upgrades from Wii U were handled too well. I think FAST RMX was definitely the best one. NSMBU DX actually felt like a downgrade as there was no Gamepad 5th player and its impossible for 4 players without someone being an easy character cause they merged the Toads. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker felt very passable (also missed oppurtunity for not keeping the "adventure continues in 3D World" ending to tease the eventual port). I would get the 3D World port but Id only play it for Browsers Fury so I'm waiting for some kind of discount as I'm not paying full price.

As for overall MK experience. For me I was always more into overall track design, like if the tracks were enjoyable to race through. It's why I rate Double Dash so high as my favourite because I loved 15 of the 16 tracks in that game. MK8 is an interesting case. I felt some of the tracks were too short, like the track was just getting good and already next lap but overall the new tracks a really solid (except Excitebike Arena that track can go to hell for all I care). I loved that the Retro Tracks were recreations instead of copy pastes, it made old feel new again especially the SNES and GBA tracks that got the most drastic changes. N64 Rainbow Road was actually fun this time around too. I do however don't like how shoehorned Anti-Gravity was in some of these tracks. The changes in 3DS DK Jungle, GBA Ribbon Road, GBA Cheese Land, GCN Baby Park and 3DS Koopa City didn't warrant Anti-Gravity as they were just slight slants and most of the time I even forget it was active. I also wished overall, the Water mechanic was used more as they just forgot about it in the DLC. Ice Ice Outpost, Animal Crossing and the one with the big Tree could've easily had a Water section in it. Even Big Blue could've had it at the bottom of the Water Slide instead of a glide cannon

With the final Smash DLC. Gone back to the Smash Ultimate again. Granted all I got from the DLC was an overglorified CD because there is way too many human characters from it, especially in the JRPG genre, man I regret the fighters pass.

Reset my Smash Stages a new and made a new collection from scratch. Kept some ideas from my old Custom Stages but thrown in identity from games. Got up to 8 and have plans for a few more.

2021102017370900-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Back