Nintendo Switch

Interesting that consoles popularity is shrinking, does that mean that google is headed in right direction with stadia?

No, it isn't. The way that Japan has been structured gaming wise, for years now - handhelds, and more recently, mobile gaming, will always rule supreme because of the portable nature of it. Nintendo has more often then not found it's greatest profit margins in handhelds, and recently, mobile gaming, so of course they're going to succeed.

This means nothing for the greater gaming market, nor does it mean anything for Stadia that isn't 'Japan is a much different beast compared to the Americas and Europe'.

This means nothing for the greater gaming market, nor does it mean anything for Stadia that isn't 'Japan is a much different beast compared to the Americas and Europe'
Well it seems on the world stage china in number one , with north america number two and japan number 3 .

So by that asia , with china and japan together would represent a bigger market than probably north america and next 4 added together.

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/

I guess we shall see how the markets work out

The Switch also straddles both the home console and handheld markets, of course. I know I'm not the only one who uses their Switch in its dock 99.5% of the time.

Some people are thrilled with the idea of home-console-quality experiences on the go. I'm glad to have access to what could have been handheld-exclusive games like Pokémon Sword & Shield or Octopath Traveler on a full-size screen with a full-size Pro controller.

And frankly, the Switch has little to do with Stadia's selling point of über-fancy graphics without requiring expensive hardware. Isn't that half of the point? Otherwise a device like the Switch just makes more sense.

The Switch also straddles both the home console and handheld markets, of course. I know I'm not the only one who uses their Switch in its dock 99.5% of the time.

Some people are thrilled with the idea of home-console-quality experiences on the go. I'm glad to have access to what could have been handheld-exclusive games like Pokémon Sword & Shield or Octopath Traveler on a full-size screen with a full-size Pro controller.

That's another thing. The reason why the Switch has been able to succeed even more then the Wii U or other recent Nintendo handhelds is because of that straddling and the option to use it either as a standalone console, or as a console that can be taken on the go.

And frankly, the Switch has little to do with Stadia's selling point of über-fancy graphics without requiring expensive hardware. Isn't that half of the point? Otherwise a device like the Switch just makes more sense.

There's basically no comparison between Stadia and the Switch other then that they are consoles. Even then, the comparison is on uneven fields.

Spent bank holiday Monday playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for 7 hours straight. :scared: First time I’ve played a game for that length of time in YEARS! The sheer scale of this game and the characters is unmatched - full stop.

Starting to enjoy the story a lot more and the Nia plot took a very nice turn I wasn’t expecting!

Last edited:
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 is in development! Wow this is a Surprise!

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Definitive Edition is coming to the Switch

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_A_lonely_tower__is_it_abandoned.0.png

Luigi's Mansion 3

No More Heroes 3

Very nice showing by Nintendo this year.

I hope they have proper dungeons in this Breath of the Wild Sequel.

I bought a switch a couple of months ago, and as much as I enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it could of been way better if it would of had 8-12 dungeons in the game. To me, that kept the game from being a really great game, I wouldn’t even put it in my top 3 Zelda games, much less call it the greatest game ever, like I’ve seen tossed around

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, considering BotW has sold over 14 million copies, won a zillion awards and probably did the most to get the Switch install base so huge in just its first year on the market. Why would you not want to follow up on something that phenomenally successful?

Don't get me wrong, the reasons behind it are fully justified. It just feels weird somehow knowing that the story is gaining another chapter so to speak.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, considering BotW has sold over 14 million copies, won a zillion awards and probably did the most to get the Switch install base so huge in just its first year on the market. Why would you not want to follow up on something that phenomenally successful?

I think he meant to say he didnt expect a direct sequel. But I am not sure if it is confirmed yet if it is a direct sequel. It surely looks that way and I would really applaud it. If it is, it would be very interesting if they will use the same world they built and expand it to a huge world or just move the story to a new world. The mechanics are sound, but the world was kinda empty.

@PocketZeven

I'm curious as to your feelings of the world being kinda empty. Do you simply mean the "overworld" with regards to cities, etc.? Did you feel there wasn't enough to do?

For me, I found the lack of "civilization" in most of the game world to be refreshing, and very fitting to the story. After all, the game does take place 100 years after "the clamity" and the fall of hyrule.

(I'm not trying to invalidate your statement or start an argument, just genuinely curious.)

Don't get me wrong, the reasons behind it are fully justified. It just feels weird somehow knowing that the story is gaining another chapter so to speak.
I do admit, that's the part I'm wondering about as well. But then again the Zelda timeline is a tangled mess and even the official placement of the games is debatable to some folks, so it could easily flash forward a long ways to a restored Hyrule that's forgotten all about Ganon or somesuch. Link getting mixed up in time travel certainly isn't out of the question either.

@PocketZeven

I'm curious as to your feelings of the world being kinda empty. Do you simply mean the "overworld" with regards to cities, etc.? Did you feel there wasn't enough to do?

For me, I found the lack of "civilization" in most of the game world to be refreshing, and very fitting to the story. After all, the game does take place 100 years after "the clamity" and the fall of hyrule.

(I'm not trying to invalidate your statement or start an argument, just genuinely curious.)

The world didnt feel alive enough for me. I found for example Horizon zero dawn, which is most comparable to BOTW, much more alive both NPC and wildlife. Both games are after an apocalyptic event and have similar area's. The towns felt larger and much more alive. Perhaps it is because of the limitation of the hardware.

When Nintendo executives were asked at this year’s annual meeting of shareholders what they thought of cloud gaming — the idea that video games can be streamed from remote internet servers rather than run on a local console — they admitted they not only believe the technology will be part of the future, but that Nintendo “must keep up” as well.

While we don’t expect all games to become cloud games any time soon, the technologies are definitely advancing. We see a future where cloud and streaming technologies will develop more and more as a means of delivering games to consumers. We must keep up with such changes in the environment. That being said, if these changes increase the worldwide gaming population, that will just give us more opportunities with our integrated hardware and software development approach to reach people worldwide with the unique entertainment that Nintendo can provide.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/5/2...-streaming-shuntaro-furukawa-shigeru-miyamoto

I wasnt sure if i should have started a seperate thread for this so i thought i would try here first .

So now we know the big three are lining up against google , nvidea , apple, and who ever else i may have missed .

I been seeing a lot of Super Mario Maker 2 streams on Twitch. While I thought the first Mario Maker was mostly nostalgic, SMM2 is a lot more modern and fresh. It is very cool from what I have seen. In the back of my mind, I know it will only be a matter of time until the most brutal (and borderline broken) user levels begin to surface.

I been seeing a lot of Super Mario Maker 2 streams on Twitch. While I thought the first Mario Maker was mostly nostalgic, SMM2 is a lot more modern and fresh. It is very cool from what I have seen. In the back of my mind, I know it will only be a matter of time until the most brutal (and borderline broken) user levels begin to surface.
Thankfully Nintendo is being more proactive about removing obviously broken stuff this time around. Anything that can't be beaten without exploiting glitches or using a "dev door" tends to get pulled fairly promptly, I've noticed.

As far as brutal levels go, those started appearing on day one since the stage building parts don't have to be unlocked like before. Not being able to open up other people's levels in the editor anymore might keep them from multiplying very fast though, since it's much harder to see the elaborate off-screen stuff some of those levels do.

Do NBA 2K games have good graphics and gameplay for the Switch? I might be planning to buy one in the future.

Recently when I designed a skin for Assetto Corsa, I learned of the new Nintendo Switch Lite. The Switch Lite will sell sometime later in September 2019 at about $199 USD compared to the $299 USD Switch. It supposedly can only be played in Handheld Mode. Plus, it doesn't have removable Joy-Cons, HD rumble, or IR camera. It also will come in three vibrant colors. This is a VERY bare bones as far as the Switch gaming experience is concerned with this upcoming Switch Lite.

So I guess if you want the Nintendo Switch but can't get yourself a regular Switch, this may be a nice option for you when it hits stores later this year.

There's also another version of the original console due mid-August, but with a larger battery.

The HAC-001(-01) model can approximately last 4.5 to 9 hours, compared to the previous HAC-001's 2.5 to 6.5 hours.

That's enough (according to Nintendo) to be able to play Zelda: BotW an extra 2.5 hours for a total play time of 5.5.

I saw a YouTube video earlier today about the Nintendo Switch Lite. For what I can take away from it, the Switch Lite is exclusively in Handheld Mode, but some games still require you have two Joy-Cons. Comments from others range from (indirect quote) "this is not the Nintendo Switch, it's just the Nintendo...," or even (indirect quote) "so it's a Switch you can't switch..." Some people have even said on YouTube this is more like Nintendo's true challenger to the likes of the PSP and the PSVITA. You have to note what games can be played in Handheld Mode if you were to buy a Switch Lite. Otherwise, certain games can't be played on the Switch Lite that aren't available in Handheld Mode.

The Nintendo Switch Lite will drop later in September with a price of $199 USD. It will be $100 less than the base $299 USD Switch.

Interestingly, it's actually the same battery spec, but with an updated CPU.

Interesting indeed.

But I guess it would make sense having a more battery efficient CPU, rather than making the console bigger to accommodate a larger battery.

Interesting indeed.

But I guess it would make sense having a more battery efficient CPU, rather than making the console bigger to accommodate a larger battery.
So there might be some performance differences between the two versions of the Switch because they modified its CPU?

It is interesting how I noted the Nintendo Switch now getting classic games like DOOM and DOOM2 on it. I have seen a Twitch stream or two of DOOM and DOOM2 on the Switch. Most of the material is as I remember it in the many hours I logged going through the classic DOOM games. However, I noticed in this (and even in the recent re-make of Duke Nukem 3D), that the health kits have had the Red Cross symbol replaced by this white and red capsule. I realized the Red Cross was trademarked, and so any game using the Red Cross logo could probably face some kind of trouble. Alternatively, I have seen a white cross on a green background or a green cross on a white background. I wonder why they didn't go with those in remakes of such games.

It was announced yesterday or so that Bubble Bobble will return with "Bubble Bobble 4 Friends." If you love the Bubble Bobble series and the games in that series, it looks like (as the name implies) you're getting Bubble Bobble action for up to four players at once. Should be fun. I hear it will be released in Europe this November and in the first quarter of 2020 in North America.

26 hours deep into Fire Emblem: Three Houses and it is without a doubt one of the best RPGs on the system. Absolutely phenomenal and the story is setting a new bar for the series.

Also - Hilda is best girl.

Back