NIO EP9 Nürburgring Nordschleife 6:45.9 Lap record (onboard video)

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 38 comments
United Kingdom
London
nowcontrol
The NIO EP9 EV supercar has set the production car world record fastest lap of the Nordschleife.....

6:45.9

nio-ep9-nurburgring-record-1-jpg.647556

nio-ep9-nurburgring-record-jpg.647555

Can it be beaten by any gas guzzlers????

:eek:

Last edited:
I'm interested to know how this thing shaved off 20 seconds of the time posted on their website; 7:05.

@Vegard , 1 site claims they built 7 so far, and have 10 more to be produced. I share the same skepticism as you, though.

I read somewhere that the first lap was done on about 80% power or something. This new record will have been done at full power.

Can it be beaten by any gas guzzlers????

Probably not on single lap pace. It's hard to replicate the enormous torque, perfect control and lack of gears with a combustion engine.

On the other hand, don't expect to see this running an actual race of any substantial length any time soon. Chemical energy still has it's place and likely will do for a long time.

I'm interested to know how this thing shaved off 20 seconds of the time posted on their website; 7:05.

@Vegard , 1 site claims they built 7 so far, and have 10 more to be produced. I share the same skepticism as you, though.
Even if the time is dodgy or they're found out to be dodgy, they will have thei objective achieved - Publicity! Seams anyone can set a record on the nurb.

Looking at the cockpit and ride height, this might as well be a race car. The time is not incredibly impressive IMO.

Sources say that the weather was not the best the last time they ran their 7:05 lap in October 2016, where it was wet and cold, this time it was warm and dry... The independent electric motors are still fast given inclement weather, however.

nio-ep9-nurburgring-record-1-jpg.647556

nio-ep9-nurburgring-record-jpg.647555

Can it be beaten by any gas guzzlers???? :eek:

The performance of these electric cars is insane, but the lack of emotion from the engine really sticks out. I can understand someone picking up a Tesla model S over combustion rivals from Cadillac, BMW Audi, etc., but I wonder at what point a petrol-head will choose an all electric sports car over a combustion sports car? Despite great looks and great performance, the Tesla Roadster didn't sell too well (Although the price tag may have had a bit to do with it).

Also, at first glance it looked like the pictures were from GTS photoscape! I was preparing to read an article about a new VGT car :lol:

Here to hope this car will make it to GT Sport this year.

Visit THIS THREAD and give it a like to register your vote for the car to be added to future games. 👍

Also, at first glance it looked like the pictures were from GTS photoscape! I was preparing to read an article about a new VGT car :lol:

Well it would be a superb addition to the game. :drool:

Still boring too watch...

Couldn't agree more. Electric cars are trash in my opinion. No idea why people would want a car that sounds like that not to mention not having gears. Also, formula e is the most boring Motorsport to watch as well. I'm sure that'll trigger someone but excuse me for believing the amazing noise real cars make is a huge part of why people love them

I'm guessing the customer of this hyper-electric mobile will be a rich person that loves going fast, but doesn't care about sound. Also, he/she would hate paying for gasoline. or a rich eco person that still loves going fast.

Couldn't agree more. Electric cars are trash in my opinion. No idea why people would want a car that sounds like that not to mention not having gears. Also, formula e is the most boring Motorsport to watch as well. I'm sure that'll trigger someone but excuse me for believing the amazing noise real cars make is a huge part of why people love them

It'll be really fun IF Dodge SRT - out of nowhere announces the existance of SRT Tomahawk to try on setting a lap record on the Nurburgring X)
The Tomahawk X already had the chance to hit below 3:20 sec on Nurburgring in GT6 simulation X)
But the problem is - will the tires & the driver handle all of that power & G forces ?

Others love cars for their engineering, passion, and ultimate performance, which is why I think this machine is brilliant. It's a testament of just how insanely fast EV's are. And mind you, this is just 2017. We've merely sniffed at EV's.

I bet when you are in this car, experiencing the sheer performance of this car, you don't care about the lack of sound.

It'll be really fun IF Dodge SRT - out of nowhere announces the existance of SRT Tomahawk to try on setting a lap record on the Nurburgring X)
The Tomahawk X already had the chance to hit below 3:20 sec on Nurburgring in GT6 simulation X)
But the problem is - will the tires & the driver handle all of that power & G forces ?

That would be marvelous... Even the Tomahawk S would murder the Ring... Can't wait until one of those cars come out...

What does the SRT Marketing Exercise have to do with anything?

Unfortunately, people started talking about how electric cars are trash and boring and then the SRT was brought up (one of my most favorite cars... Had to chime in.

That thing is just incredible. I even like the sound, although it didn't sound too distinguished from my washing machine which was on a spin cycle at the time. Almost sounded like they were racing haha.

Back