No ABS Is Terrible

I like to play with no assists, (...)
I think driving without assists isn't necessarily more realistic, seeing that most racing cars do have ABS, and TC, and many more electronic driving aids.
I do have to say though, that there should be a sensitivity setting for the DS4's shoulder buttons. The response curve is too sensitive, especially for breaking. I generally use a Razer Raiju, and the triggers, while having more travel, have a much harsher curve than a standard DS4. It's pretty much impossible to control the amount of breaking force applied - I had to go back to the DS4 for GTS.

Coming from GT5 & 6 as an ABS ‘0’ user, ABS ‘0’ in GTS is not the same. Too easy to lock up the brakes.

Which brings me to the age old question:

Are the ABS and TCS sliders user aids, or do the default settings accurately depict the cars IRL? I still think they’re user aids but we’ll never know.

It depends on the car/tire I think. Some cars I agree lock up a bit too easily but others feel fine.

I think there are issues with the longitudinal grip levels one some of the tires though, and that might be making it much easier to lockup some compounds than it is others.

I think driving without assists isn't necessarily more realistic, seeing that most racing cars do have ABS, and TC, and many more electronic driving aids.
Driving with the aids off is how you tell what the car and setup are really doing though. Whenever I am testing for a setup, I want to make sure the car is well-balanced without the electronics first and then turn them on for the race if I feel the need.

Not to mention, it's just far more rewarding driving the car to its limit knowing you are in control of everything. Unfortunately, GT Sport seems to have been balanced with the aids in mind- this is the first GT game where I had to turn TC on to gold some of the license tests (the very first ones, no less).

Have you guys tried driving a real car that doesn't have ABS? For me, I learned how to threshold brake when I first starting autocrossing with a Roadster a few years back. If you just smash the brake pedal, the car will lock up. Before I got my G29, I noticed it was hard to play without ABS because you don't have the same range in braking as you do with a steering wheel setup.

Have you guys tried driving a real car that doesn't have ABS? For me, I learned how to threshold brake when I first starting autocrossing with a Roadster a few years back. If you just smash the brake pedal, the car will lock up. Before I got my G29, I noticed it was hard to play without ABS because you don't have the same range in braking as you do with a steering wheel setup.
I'm not talking about smashing the brake pedal. I'm talking like pressing the brake pedal 25% with ABS Off and the brakes lock up and the car loses control. If cars performed like that in real life then no one would have raced them pre electronics era.

Last edited:
If I recall lowering the brake balance in past GT games helped alleviate brake lock up, when turning the abs off. The lower the number the more pressure it would take to lock up the brakes

If I recall lowering the brake balance in past GT games helped alleviate brake lock up, when turning the abs off. The lower the number the more pressure it would take to lock up the brakes
I tried that, it’s now just a brake biasing tool. So now, instead of the fronts locking, the backs lock first. Dangerous AF. My t80 takes only 1/8 pedal before(any car) locks me up. Takes Lewis Hamilton level of reaction time and muscle memory to finesse a good trail brake off a hot straight.

....I really am not trying to sound like that guy, but for example in GTE class cars in iRacing if you even tap the brake to 50% the tires lock up. But you can also put different friction brakes to help eliminate that in exchange for a longer braking distance. That said I use ABS but usually run with TCS at a 1 or 0 depending on the car. If im running an LMP1 car you almost need a little TCS to drive it proper. Especially since they use TCS IRL.

....I really am not trying to sound like that guy, but for example in GTE class cars in iRacing if you even tap the brake to 50% the tires lock up. But you can also put different friction brakes to help eliminate that in exchange for a longer braking distance. That said I use ABS but usually run with TCS at a 1 or 0 depending on the car. If im running an LMP1 car you almost need a little TCS to drive it proper. Especially since they use TCS IRL.
That's 50% in a hardcore PC sim. I'm talking about 25% in GT Sport. 25%. Ridiculous.

ABS off is a bit inconsistent, I ended up just leaving it at ABS weak now.

That's 50% in a hardcore PC sim. I'm talking about 25% in GT Sport. 25%. Ridiculous.
In Forza, brakes are waaaaaaaaaay too touchy, not even 25% pedal travel and the tires locks right up.

If the car is driven in race conditions with the electronic system in question activated, it's not a "driver aid" in my books in the context of GT; point finale.

Are the ABS and TCS sliders user aids, or do the default settings accurately depict the cars IRL? I still think they’re user aids but we’ll never know

I’ve been getting used to ABS off since switching pedal set to the TM GTE set with brake mod attached. Overall better than the G27 pedals with no mod installed, but brakes still have a tendency to go from moderate input to full lock. Probably a calibration issue when starting the game each session. Still not crazy about the wheel/pedal settings/options in this game.

If the car is driven in race conditions with the electronic system in question activated, it's not a "driver aid" in my books in the context of GT; point finale.

Looks like we posted at the same time. So what is the point of ABS off? Must be reserved for the 5 or 6 cars in game without ABS IRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if we can tune the pedal sensitivity like in PC sims it can work better. But as is I can't use ABS off at all in this game...
Not just PC sims, but just about any racing title.

GTS is just about the only one I can think of that doesn't allow you to either do it via a direct option within the wheel and pedal set-up, or in the case of Assetto Corsa by setting the max travel during the loading screen.

Looks like we posted at the same time. So what is the point of ABS off? Must be reserved for the 5 or 6 cars in game without ABS IRL.
It's a good question: I'm not quite sure myself.

If the game had more open wheel cars that typically run without TCS and ABS, it'd make sense. However most of the road and race cars in GTS you'd be crazy to drive without ABS. I'm a bit puzzled frankly.

One thing is for sure though: Gran Turismo needs more calibration options for the brake and gas pedal curves, because right now it is very hard to limit brake and then reduce your input slightly to end the lockup.

Compare this to even a simcade title like F1 2017, which gets limit braking right in practice because you get immediate force feedback when the tires lock and can adjust input.

Have you guys tried driving a real car that doesn't have ABS? <SNIP>

I own a 2006 Grand Prix base without ABS, and no abs in GTS is very similar to driving it, on a snow covered road @ -20* with all season tires on......

Hover the pedal too fast and lock up...

Just my opinion/observation.

Not just PC sims, but just about any racing title.

GTS is just about the only one I can think of that doesn't allow you to either do it via a direct option within the wheel and pedal set-up, or in the case of Assetto Corsa by setting the max travel during the loading screen.

And weird thing is GT used to kinda let you do that, since you set the braking front and rear by setting each axle's max braking between 1 and 10. So I used to in GT6 set the car up with like 2 and 0 or something for running without ABS.

I question anyone's sanity in playing this game without ABS...Sure enough it might be more fun or immersive to you(if you drive the 6 cars in this game that actually don't have ABS in real life), but you're putting yourself at a clear disadvantage here, and in a competitive mode and I hope this doesn't create accidents with other players in the game.

My nissan Silvia s12 without abs rarely locks up. And if it does, it is just one of the four wheels. Gt sport has not nailed the feeling of breaking without abs. Live for speed however feels more like breaking my car.

Ond by the way, it is really easy to do like a panic breake and just stop my car. It is as effective as cars with abs. In the case of my car, it might even stop better then most cars with abs. I get surprised everytime hos good the breaking potential is.

When you brake a car in real life you get instant feedback in the form of g force. Without this feeling it is really difficult to feel the point where grip lets go. Furthermore, the amount of travel in a real life brake pedal is tiny compared to accelerator and clutch pedals.

When you brake a car in real life you get instant feedback in the form of g force. Without this feeling it is really difficult to feel the point where grip lets go. Furthermore, the amount of travel in a real life brake pedal is tiny compared to accelerator and clutch pedals.
While both of those are quite true that doesn't change the fact that non-ABS braking in GTS is far more tricky and further from reality than almost any other racing title around.

Braking with a controller is far harder in racing titles that with a wheel and pedal set-up, assuming that the brake pedal has either a load cell or some form of brake mod fitted, with a load-cell / brake mod the travel can be limited to realistic levels and the feeling of needing to apply grater pressure for braking comes back.

While this does help with GTS, it doesn't fix the issues or solve the fact that GTS still doesn't do this well without ABS.

Back