No longer in use

• Thread starter ZOPPO GT
  • 100 comments
upload_2020-6-1_13-20-14.png

just finished and now .... ?

Well if not this one I´ll take the #24 with yellow stripe, @ZOPPO GT Can I get that from you?

Hi @ZOPPO GT and half_sourly - the Cobra 427 was never raced at Le Mans, but the earlier 289 version was raced in 1963 and 1964. These are the details:

1963 AC Cars Ltd - Mist Green Metallic (the factory race team colours) number 3 - perhaps change it to 30? there is a very poor replica on my profile. British road registered 39PH i.e. black with white letters - front number plate was the adhesive sticker type on the bonnet. Racing number plates were square at the rear and sides and round on the bonnet. Dunlop magnesium wheels were used as Halibrands were difficult to obtain in the UK. Detachable streamlined aluminium hardtops were developed by AC Cars Ltd. which added 8mph to the top speed - raising it to 160mph. Drivers: Ninian Sanderson and Peter Bolton, Team Manager: Stirling Moss. Sponsors: The Sunday Times and AC Cars Ltd. Result 7th overall and 4th GT.

1963 Ed Hugus entry car number 4 driven by Ed Hugus and Peter Jopp. Team Manager Stirling Moss. Sponsor Ed Hugus - he was an amateur racer and car dealer from Pittsburgh and heavily involved in the creation of the Cobra with Carroll Shelby - they had discussed the idea many times while racing together and Hugus mechanics built the first 8 production Cobra's under contract to Shelby. The car was visually the same as the number 3 AC Car, but was painted white. The racing numbers were black on white roundels bordered in blue. Unfortunately the car was fitted with an experimental engine by Ford, which was in a higher state of tune - it began to consume oil and the car was disqualified for adding oil outside the allowed window. Note - in the picture below the stripes look black, but were actually dark blue and much narrower than those normally seen on Cobras. British road registration 645 CGT.

Below 1964 Le mans - the 289 Cobra of Fraissinet and Mortemart driven to 18th place overall. NB there was also a red number 63 sister car due to be driven by Lucky Casner and Jean Vincent, but this was a DNA.

Wishing you all good luck with this series and wish I could join you, but I will still be at work!

Last edited:
Hello Sick_Cylinder
You are right, the Cobra 427 never raced at Le Mans. But it was used as a racecar in Europe and the US in the 60th. I added the Cobra, because we need some sportscars for the "small" class. There are no other usable cars at GT Sport wich fit that era. For that reason I desided to add the Cobra and I think it looks good at Le Mans and it´s perfect for the sportscar class.

These protypes have always been taken:

oldboy1943 ----------- Ford Mark IV / No. 2
Zoppo--GT ------------ Ford Mark IV / No. 1
Simba ----------------- Ferrari 330 P4 / No. 24

Last edited:
How many cars are allowed? At least there is no limit at all.
For example: The Ferrari 330 P4. At first we will use the original numbers (19 - 20 - 21 - 24). If there will be more than 4 Ferrari we will fill up (22 + 23) or continue (25 - 26 - ect.). We will do the same with the Mark IV and GT 40. The sportscar class has no limit.

Hello racers - safe the date: Thursday, 4th of June, 8pm (german time)

I like to do a "practice race" at the Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans). A possibility to meet each other the first time. It will be a lobby for friends only (THUNDERCLUB CLASSIC CAR RACE). Please join our community at GT Sport and / or send a friendship request to ZOPPO--GT to join us. Please use a headset if possible. That will make things easier.

See you on the race track - Speed safely.

upload_2020-6-2_13-37-26.png

Hi Zoppo, i take the P4 with Number 25 . It's from 24H Le Mans 1967 North American Racing Team Drivers: Pedro Rodriguez / Giancarlo Baghetti

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-2_13-35-22.png
    upload_2020-6-2_13-35-22.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 8
Hello half_sourly. Yes, you can have no. 9 - no problem. Will you "create" your own car or do you need a livery with no. 9 from my garage?

Hello half_sourly. Yes, you can have no. 9 - no problem. Will you "create" your own car or do you need a livery with no. 9 from my garage?
Thanks. I've tried to make a livery yesterday, per Sick's early 60's photos, the white with black Le Mans stripes. But beyond painting the car white, I could not get the stripes. So yes please, if you have a ready-made livery, I'd happily take it, thanks.
EDIT: I just found this, so will have a go later at doing one myself: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/liveryeditor/content05

Last edited:
It appears that the Daytona is still too slow on the straight.( and it can not get any faster due to the false aero drag). If it gets in a draft it can stay with a Cobra but it loses about a second by the end of the straight. If the draft is lost the Daytona loses about 2 seconds a lap until it either catches another draft or the Cobra falls off . Given @GTP_Guido is faster than I am, but even in someone faster's hands it is very hard to pass anyone (only on the back side of the circuit) and when you do , he just motors by on the straight and it starts all over. While this is an insane amount of fun it is not likely to end up in the Daytona's favor. Adding some power will make it faster getting to its top speed which might allow it to actually stay in a drafting fight. And if you add power it could actually murder the rest of the Touring cars anywhere else where the straights are shorter. LMAO

I just learned there was a test race yesterday. Sorry I missed it; I didn't know about it. Where was it announced?

Hello half_sourly. The race was announced via PSN community (THUNDERCLUB HISTORIC CAR RACE) to all members. Next time I will set a post at GTPlanet too.

About the Daytona: It´s a given thing that some cars are fast on straights and others are fast in corners. But at least the laptime (3:55 min for the sportscar class at Le Mans) is the only way to create a usable BOP. That´s the way it is.

Please notice: The Ford GT40 has switched from the prototype class to the sportscar class. It´s a N class vehicle and don´t work good with prototypes. And for that reason GT40 got a new BOP 84 / 102. Thank you.

Hello half_sourly. The race was announced via PSN community (THUNDERCLUB HISTORIC CAR RACE) to all members. Next time I will set a post at GTPlanet too.

About the Daytona: It´s a given thing that some cars are fast on straights and others are fast in corners. But at least the laptime (3:55 min for the sportscar class at Le Mans) is the only way to create a usable BOP. That´s the way it is.
Sorry but you can not use that method for all cars...so I’ll drive something else for Le Mans and revert to it for the other races. The problem is not its lap time but its inability to keep up on the straight. I get my best solo lap times in this car but due to the nature of le mans it is not a “winner”. Horses for courses comes to mind.

New subject...follow Mugen84 in “discovery “ for many accurate liveries. Any GT 40 drivers there is an accurate Gulf JW livery, car #7 Hobbs/Hailwood

GTP_Nail: Sorry but you can not use that method for all cars...so I’ll drive something else for Le Mans and revert to it for the other races. The problem is not its lap time but its inability to keep up on the straight. I get my best solo lap times in this car but due to the nature of le mans it is not a “winner”. Horses for courses comes to mind.

ZOPPO GT: Sorry Nail, the laptime is the only way to create a BOP. Imagine we will give more power to the Daytona and it will be faster on straighs. At the end that increase a faster laptime - maybe 3:50 min instead 3:55 min. That´s unfair to other cars and we have to add more power to them, so they can do 3:50 min also. But now they are faster on the straight again and we have to add more power to the Daytona again - and so on and on. It may be a sad thing that the Daytona is lame on straights, but overall it is still as fast on the lap as any other car in the class.

Should we set a speedlimit for faster cars on the straight? Than we have to set a speedlimit for the Daytona in corners! That´s a worst solution. Only the laptime can be the basis for the BOP, there is no other way.

Correct - having BOP'd majority these cars for my WSC, Le Mans always requires a special BoP with a target lap time (3:36 & 4:20 our ones for our last race).

PD made many these classics useless to race together due to them having adjustable downforce. :thumbsdown:

@ZOPPO GT I did say in the PSN group, if I could reserve a Mk IV? #54 please.

GTP_Nail: Sorry but you can not use that method for all cars...so I’ll drive something else for Le Mans and revert to it for the other races. The problem is not its lap time but its inability to keep up on the straight. I get my best solo lap times in this car but due to the nature of le mans it is not a “winner”. Horses for courses comes to mind.

ZOPPO GT: Sorry Nail, the laptime is the only way to create a BOP. Imagine we will give more power to the Daytona and it will be faster on straighs. At the end that increase a faster laptime - maybe 3:50 min instead 3:55 min. That´s unfair to other cars and we have to add more power to them, so they can do 3:50 min also. But now they are faster on the straight again and we have to add more power to the Daytona again - and so on and on. It may be a sad thing that the Daytona is lame on straights, but overall it is still as fast on the lap as any other car in the class.

Should we set a speedlimit for faster cars on the straight? Than we have to set a speedlimit for the Daytona in corners! That´s a worst solution. Only the laptime can be the basis for the BOP, there is no other way.
That is what I said...Horses for courses . The BOP process is fraught with compromises but much of the imposed ( necessarily) reductions of power or addition of weight can be partially reduced by good tunes and driving style alterations. For Le Mans I pick a car with good handling and a higher top speed, for the Ring I pick a car that handles better. All that matters is that we have fun ....see you on track.

I did say in the PSN group, if I could reserve a Mk IV? #54 please.

Hello Furi, welcome to the THUNDERCLUB. Please check your PSN newsletter for friends request and join our community as well for further informations. No. 54 will be OK for this series. See you on track.

FINAL TEST RACE BEFORE THE SEASON WILL START.
On thursday 11. June (8pm german time) the final test race will start at Le Mans. The last chance to choose your favourite class (prototypes or sportscars) before you have to sign up for the championship. Reminder: It´s not allowed to change classes during the season. But it´s allowed to change the car within the class.

SAFE THE DATE: 11. June 2020 - 8pm

Last edited:
After some more test races we changed the BOPs for the sportscars. Please check the new BOP list at page 1.

The final test race for the series at Le Mans is still on thursday 11. June - 8pm german time. See you on track.

Back