No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,424 comments
I woke up this morning and saw that the PS4 had downloaded another patch. Can't find any info on what it was, though. Probably some bug fixes.
If it's the same as the PC patch (most likely), it's a few small fixes regarding VR and attempting to correct problems with low framerates after visiting the Anomaly. So nothing major, but ther'll probably be a lot more small fix-up patches coming in the time ahead.

I just wish they would have left in the option to preload all the shaders instead of making it procedural only. I'm definitely noticing micro-stutters on more heavily vegetated worlds that weren't there before, and it's starting to get on my nerves.

A PC patch is in progress. Console patches will take more time due to the usual Sony/Microsoft checks. From Reddit:

fttan068gng31.png

So just to chip in a thought, I absolutely love how much more alive spaceports feel now. Just the simple stuff like having the NPCs wandering around a little, pilots standing outside their ships while they're docked and seeing the occasional visitor from outside the system adds a lot more atmosphere to the place.

Also, this might have been a thing I just never noticed before, but Gek spaceports seem to occasionally attract ships with a metallic looking champagne gold paint. Maybe I just didn't spot them among all the brightly colored ships before, but it's pretty snazzy looking.

Really digging this update so far. After the patches I no longer have crashes and I'm really liking how they integrated all the changes into the existing game. It's not like they slapped some new features on, but they really integrated it so it almost feels like a new game. A really great way of keeping the experience fresh. Not too far into the story content yet, but it looks like they made some integrations and changes there as well. Really cool stuff. Don't have VR but that should be pretty epic I think.

A friend of mine is totally hooked in the game. :D Asked me if he should get it 1 week before Beyond. I told him he'd love it and he's loving it. I'm moving countries next month for work so I won't have much time to play but I'll try to get a setup asap to play NMS with him.

I already thought NMS was the best game to relax and for people who love exploration without quests and invisible walls/map limits. Now I think the game is getting closer to being perfect. Can't imagine how this would run on a PS5 with a better VR exploraiton and better "pop-up" performance.

How big's the PS4 install?

Always been tempted by this game, and now it seems peoples experience with it is a lot more positive I might pull the trigger, only got a 500gb PS4 though, and it seems with more than 3 games I can't get GTS to update!

It was only about 11 GB on Wednesday. The most recent patch may push it to 12.

Yeah GTS is tough to keep on my hard drive too. I think it's about 90 GB now.

^ Thanks,

I think I might be able to cope with that since uninstalling the Dakar game. NMS is only £15.99 at the moment so if it keeps me out of the pub for 2 hours it'll save me money!

This game is so in-depth now,espeically in the base building. The difference is night and day from the launch day version,which now feels like a shallow experimental demo.

BUT i still have this feeling of 'whats the point' of the game? I wish there was a big mission you had to complete on every planet - an excuse to spend all that time building a base and then setting off on various tasks - i mean,maybe it has got such things now,i just havnt looked into it - has there been any bigger things to achieve added to it through this Beyond update?

I am building living glass and circuit board farms atm. I need to start saving for a nice freighter, which will probably cost a few hundred million units. I don’t want to spend any resources on the one I have now since it doesnt seem that good. One day I will try and make my way to the galactic hub somehow.

Survival player btw.

Edit: I was thinking of getting ps vr for this game, but I only have a normal ps4. Does it still work ok on it?

Last edited:
I've just finished my first few hours in NMS, and I have to say I'm chuffing loving it :D

I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to play until last night, as it meant I got the three initial patches before I started the game, so I never saw the major bugs and performance issues that were happening. I'm using a Rift S on a laptop with i7-7700HQ/16GB RAM and GTX1070 and it runs pretty well, using graphic settings recommended by UploadVR here - I get the odd glitch, but nothing major. Not sure what my actual fps is, but it's plenty smooth enough for me, and the game looks good.

I'm about 4 hours in and I've only just built my first little base, I've just been enjoying first wandering then flying around, finding stuff and just taking my time through the tutorial sections. Now that I've understood the way the UI has been implemented the whole thing is feeling pretty natural, the only thing I'm still having a little trouble with is flying my ship, but that's coming with practice. Brilliant game!

Edit - @MikeV27 I can't answer your question as I'm on PC, but it's interesting that NMS might turn out to be a system seller for VR for some people - hadn't thought of it in that way.

I built my first base last night under a trading station so I could limit my take-off thruster usage. Just a tiny wooden cabin two floors from traders and a launch pad. I only had 1 crash and it was maybe ten minutes in after coming out of a pulse in my ship. I've got my suit upgraded for extreme hot and cold environments. Unfortunately, I put my suit upgrades in my inventory slots because I didn't realize there was a separate equipment upgrade section.

I want to upgrade my scanner or multi-tool next. I would love to get more units for exploration or mine faster. I found some "Whispering eggs" outside a facility and let's just say I won't be touching those again. I haven't sprinted for my life any faster in the game. Luckily my ship was close by.

I am building living glass and circuit board farms atm. I need to start saving for a nice freighter, which will probably cost a few hundred million units. I don’t want to spend any resources on the one I have now since it doesnt seem that good. One day I will try and make my way to the galactic hub somehow.

Survival player btw.

Edit: I was thinking of getting ps vr for this game, but I only have a normal ps4. Does it still work ok on it?
I don't know if it's changed now but I know before you could get a freighter for free. When you jump into a system if you see some pirates attacking a freighter go help, If you kill all the pirates the captain will invite on board and then offer you the freighter for free.

EDIT: ignore that I didn't read it all till i wrote the reply lol, sorry

I only bought this a few months ago, loving the Beyond update. I’ve been hooked, no game has captured me like this one has in a really long time. I’m 80 hours in, did a bunch of the quests but I have spent most of my time doing my own thing.

Finally found a paradise planet with starbulb and non-aggressive sentinels. Now it’s time to make a big poly fiber farm.

I stumbled upon some alien slime or goop which can be refined 5 times into nanite clusters. The trading station above my base had the slime in stock every time I went there so I had almost 600 nanites to buy upgrades with. I ran out of slots on my multi-tool for them all. My obsession with the game rubbed off on my son so he bought it for his xbone. It looks much worse on his console though, even failing to render every time he goes into a space station. He was talking to some Gek and they looked straight out of an N64 game. :lol:

Unfortunately we won't be able to play together since the game isn't cross-platform. He has way more time to play than I do so at least he can give me some tips. He started in a system with 6 planets and one of them had perfect weather and star plants. My system has only 3 planets; one radioactive, one with severe weather swings and one that's toxic.

I went to talk to the captain of a freighter and as soon as I went through the second door I was in space. With no air. It then reloaded me in the last station I was docked at with no loss of goods.

I had to trade in my S class hauler cos in VR I can't see passed the built up sides of the cockpit. I replaced it with a tall Exotic that unlike the last one I had doesn't clip though the ceiling of the freighter landing bay.

When I bought it I went back to my old ship, it was in next bay of the Trading Post, another ship landed on top of it. Then my old ship sank through the bay and disappeared!

I got a solid 4 hours in last night. Who needs sleep right? I think I've been lucky with the sentinels. I've seen quite a few but they don't seem to care about what I'm doing. I did find a manufacturing facility last night though that was surrounded by the robot dog looking ones. Just next to it was a cave filled with Cobalt and Humming eggs but they didn't seem to care that I was taking it all.

I was finally able to upgrade my starter ship which I had been using for almost the first 8 hours of the game. I found another C-class with the same 15 slots that looked like an X-wing and had efficient launch thrusters as well as the S-class automatic recharging launch thruster tech installed. It only cost 165,000 units plus my starter ship so I took the dive. Side note; can we rename our ships? This one was called the Son of Dreams. :lol:

Anyway, I wound up on the other side of the planet that I had been mining on and my signal booster picked up my first distress beacon. It turned out to be a damaged A-class fighter called the Anvil RL3. I discovered trophy skulls and blood all over the cabin like it had been owned by some mercenary or something. It turned out to be worth 44 million units with 28 slots! So I repaired what I could and flew up to the local space station to start buying wiring looms and other rare items to get the inventory slots back.

One of the pilots that flew in had over 2,000 residual goop on him which I turned into 400 nanite clusters over the course of about a half hour and three refiners. I also completed the missions up to installing a hyperdrive and scanning for antimatter. I really need a new multi-tool next because I have at least 3 upgrades ready to put on but no slots. Hopefully I'll be back at it soon.

The one thing I hate in the game right now is the TAA, it looks terrible. NMS is the only game where I turn off AA and willing to take an FPS hit to use DSR (1440p -> 1080p) and it looks tons better than using the terrible AA. Hell, even without DSR and no AA (so with terrible jaggies) it still looks better than TAA. :lol: Game used to have MSAA, but they took that out. Also can't force it via nVidia control panel.

Other than that I'm totally loving this game. 👍 I started a new game after the Beyond update and so far the experience has been great. Not too many bugs, certainly no game-breaking bugs.

2.09 on PS4 downloading now. 1.962 GB so not a big fix. Hopefully the update the same one on steam experimental.

I have maxed out my inventory slots but for the past while the game hasn’t made me pay any units for them even though they are a million each. Does this happen to anyone else? I’m not complaining :lol:

Currently trying to build an activated indium auto mine, the hardest part is finding a good deposit. I’ve been searching for hours, found one but it was underwater.

My circuit board and living glass farms are ok, but they are kind of small. I’ve got myself up to 117 million units with them in a short time though. It just gets tedious harvesting and crafting things.

Does anyone play this game with mods? I know there is a low altitude flight mod on Nexus, just curious if anyone has tried it and if the ships have decent flight physics. Thinking about getting this on Steam.

I'm using 2 mods, one for reducing the cost of launching the ship to 5% and tje other increases nanite rewards I think. I did have a mod to remove the pirate attacks but it doesn't work with the new update.

Back