Non-linear throttle

Well... this is what I found...

View attachment 745341
I didn't do % pedal X accel level gauge before 1.21 .
Speaking about sensation , it seems very different to me. I drove yesterday only 2 GR1 cars on Le Mans during hours and i could feel a huge difference today about acceleration out corner.
Before , out low speed corners , the power control was in the first half of the pedal. Today it stay in the last quarter. Same with GR3 cars that i have tested too.
Something have change in my opinion,if not the throttle then LSD or tires. I would like to know if somebody else feel the same, or am i staying totally mad ??? :nervous:

Throttle pedal response is entirely different depending on which pedals you are using. The throttle isn't linear, but I have had zero issues controlling wheel spin in GT Sport ever since they changed the tire model quite a few updates ago. Almost no car on the planet has a completely linear throttle.

Throttle pedal response is entirely different depending on which pedals you are using. The throttle isn't linear, but I have had zero issues controlling wheel spin in GT Sport ever since they changed the tire model quite a few updates ago. Almost no car on the planet has a completely linear throttle.

I'm pretty sure almost no one in this thread has difficulty controlling a car. Thats not what we are debating... The fact is, you don't have as much control over your car as you could potentially have, with a linear throttle. And we as a group think that's an unacceptable oversight.

And no, it doesn't matter which pedals you're using, as other users have already pointed out.

I didn't do % pedal X accel level gauge before 1.21 .
Speaking about sensation , it seems very different to me. I drove yesterday only 2 GR1 cars on Le Mans during hours and i could feel a huge difference today about acceleration out corner.
Before , out low speed corners , the power control was in the first half of the pedal. Today it stay in the last quarter. Same with GR3 cars that i have tested too.
Something have change in my opinion,if not the throttle then LSD or tires. I would like to know if somebody else feel the same, or am i staying totally mad ??? :nervous:

I really hope you are not going mad, my friend, and that others can chime in with their findings as well - preferably ones with as much experience as you! The deadzone shift took me by surprise and I don't know if that is something that happens generally, but I guess it would change how things felt. And of course with my fairly simple way of testing I could be missing something - I simply hold the brake on at standstill and press the throttle, recording voltage vs the on-screen meter. If there is some other factor somebody else will have to find it since I don't play GTS with a wheel... :dopey:

Just did 13 qualy laps for race c in the gr2 NSX, a car I used to really struggle to use without tc. I'm not sure if something as changed or that I got better out of nowhere, it just feels easier to use.

Last edited:
A small update on my end. Working on trailbraking and doing some coasting into apexes has helped somewhat in working around the throttle map. When I get it right, it's certainly easier to be aggresive with the throttle and get away with it. Unfortunately, I'm not consistent enough with it right now.

Well, I have no complaints with the GTEYE throttle spring. I’d recommened it and say it helps a little, but doesn’t overcome the nonlinear mapping.

Well... this is what I found...

View attachment 745341

edit: it seems that the shift to the left, changing the deadzones, is probably just down to my wheel calibrating differently between these two tests.
I wonder if this is to help with players using ds4 controllers when the trigger begins to wear out and you're unable to hit 100 percent throttle.

Nvm I read your edit.

I've learned a lot about real world throttle mapping in this thread, it's more complex than I thought by miles. Thanks all.

What I'm reading supports my initial impression regarding the non-linear throttle in GTS: It's there to mask some other issue, possibly that the cars would be too easy to drive with linear mapping. Throw on TCS or CSA and it's manageable. Combine linear mapping with aids and the cars would be on rails in this game. Must have been easier to fix the underlying issues this way.

I wonder if an update to the tire model will coincide with getting rid of the non-linear mapping? It would prove a link, at least to me.

Do you know if the Fanatec pedals have been compared to the G29 or T-GT? If a linear throttle really did make it that much easier to drive in GTS it would be well worth fabricating new pedal geometry to actually make the throttle linear which should be possible and may be worth the effort.

Do you know if the Fanatec pedals have been compared to the G29 or T-GT? If a linear throttle really did make it that much easier to drive in GTS it would be well worth fabricating new pedal geometry to actually make the throttle linear which should be possible and may be worth the effort.

The sad part is that a player should not have to go to the trouble to try to match his throttle mechanically to the games mapping when it would be so simple for PD to include the option in controller settings that would electronically exactly match your throttle travel from end point to endpoint with just adding an in game calibration setting for the throttle.

I think just about every game I have ever owned all the way back to PS1 days had calibration settings designed for use with any aftermarket controllers whether it be wheels and pedal or flight sticks for flying games.

No excuse for not having an in game calibration other than PD either being lazy, stubborn or trying to give the sponsored wheel an advantage. Has to be at least one of the three if not a combination of them all.

I wonder if this is to help with players using ds4 controllers when the trigger begins to wear out and you're unable to hit 100 percent throttle.

Nvm I read your edit.

Unfortunately I can't go back to previous version of GT to re-test it, but I'm pretty sure that must've been a calibration glitch.

Thing is, T300 came out with about the same deadzones on GT as AC, so I'm assuming it's not GT adding some deadzone. And allowing for the calib glitch, there's roughly the same amount of deadzone on PC (not PCars, lol... PC AC and DIView) as well. So it seems like it's just down to the T300 having that much deadzone.

Deadzone seems quite big but I'd never really noticed it while playing anything, so I dunno whether to worry about it :lol:

AF6068D1-30C1-45E7-835B-82FD81B004B5.jpeg
68E8C9EE-651E-4F06-9B1F-9B55EBC62710.jpeg
D1398B41-00DF-4A08-AEC9-B80CC7769356.jpeg
F115B7B4-4417-48A8-8505-3358DF543C08.jpeg
DD9F90D9-7C68-409E-90CF-7F9D934D372E.jpeg

It would be nice if the game let people choose a pedal map much like my Clio 220 Trophy.

Crappy iphone photos but hey you get the idea.

I do find it funny the snow map can only be accessed when the car is placed into sport though :confused:

Has anyone considered changing the potentiometer in their pedals to one that gives a more linear response (in the game)? Is there a circuit mod that could be added to skew the output more in the direction needed if an OEM solution isn't available?

Not an electrical engineer by any means, but this seems a solvable issue. If Mohammed won't come to the mountain...

Editing because my first draft was hyper critical. I standby the original substance, but going to tone down the critical nature a bit:

Just bought a PS4, GTS, and a Fanatec CSL elite a week ago. Always knew it wasn't going to be the most realistic sim ever, but wanted to jump back into sim racing with something I was familiar with. Was pretty excited to get back into it too.

So after less than a week of playing I'm done with GTS. Yeah the physics, suspension, and surface models are typical PD but I can kinda get over that. Overall they do a good job of balancing a sim and game for the mass market. That being said I mainly bought the game to use a development tool for driving. I noticed in online videos they cleaned up the physics from GT5/6 and you can't get away with torturing tires and sliding the back end out while somehow maintaining traction. So the overall physics definitely seem like a step forward and reward precision in your driving.

But the throttle mapping is just awful, and for me it's a deal breaker. Never would have bought the game if I knew it was non-linear. And don't know if this is true on every other pedal set, but for the CSL pedals there is a massive deadzone after full throttle - probably close to an inch of pedal travel. Breathing the gas to correct a little oversteer or maintain balance over a curb is basically impossible.

Why should I have to relearn how to use my right foot for a game? So no joke, I literally taped a sponge to the back of my throttle stop to: a) get rid of the massive deadzone at the end and b) create a little more resistance after what the game calls "half" throttle to more easily modulate the gas. It actually worked, but that's a ridiculous measure to take.

So I'll try something else that doesn't require sponge mods to my gas pedal. Imagine if Chevy put this throttle map on all Corvettes. I'm sure all the potential buyers would be thrilled...

Last edited:
Just bought a PS4, GTS, and a Fanatec CSL elite a week ago. Always knew it wasn't going to be the most realistic sim ever, but wanted to jump back into sim racing with something I was familiar with. Was pretty excited to get back into too.

So after less than a week of playing I'm done with GTS. Yeah the physics, suspension, and surface models feel pretty awful but I can kinda get over that. The throttle mapping is just garbage. Absolutely no excuse for PD and the developers to put a trashy throttle map in there. Non-linear is one thing that is pathetic, but combined with a massive deadzone at the end of throttle travel is unacceptable for this kind of title.

Why should I have to relearn how to use my right foot for a game? Especially in something that claims to be a driving simulator? No joke, I literally taped a sponge to the back of my throttle stop to: a) get rid of the massive deadzone and b) create a little more resistance after what the game calls "half" throttle to more easily modulate the gas. It actually worked, but that's a ridiclous measure to take.

Think PD will give me my money back? Seriously I would not have bought it to begin with if I knew a crappy throttle map was actually put in there.
I think I'll see you in PCARS2 then, I just found a copy for $15 :D

Editing because my first draft was hyper critical. I standby the original substance, but going to tone down the critical nature a bit:

Just bought a PS4, GTS, and a Fanatec CSL elite a week ago. Always knew it wasn't going to be the most realistic sim ever, but wanted to jump back into sim racing with something I was familiar with. Was pretty excited to get back into it too.

So after less than a week of playing I'm done with GTS. Yeah the physics, suspension, and surface models are typical PD but I can kinda get over that. Overall they do a good job of balancing a sim and game for the mass market. That being said I mainly bought the game to use a development tool for driving. I noticed in online videos they cleaned up the physics from GT5/6 and you can't get away with torturing tires and sliding the back end out while somehow maintaining traction. So the overall physics definitely seem like a step forward and reward precision in your driving.

But the throttle mapping is just awful, and for me it's a deal breaker. Never would have bought the game if I knew it was non-linear. And don't know if this is true on every other pedal set, but for the CSL pedals there is a massive deadzone after full throttle - probably close to an inch of pedal travel. Breathing the gas to correct a little oversteer or maintain balance over a curb is basically impossible.

Why should I have to relearn how to use my right foot for a game? So no joke, I literally taped a sponge to the back of my throttle stop to: a) get rid of the massive deadzone at the end and b) create a little more resistance after what the game calls "half" throttle to more easily modulate the gas. It actually worked, but that's a ridiculous measure to take.

So I'll try something else that doesn't require sponge mods to my gas pedal. Imagine if Chevy put this throttle map on all Corvettes. I'm sure all the potential buyers would be thrilled...

The only problem is that you have already shown your support for PD by buying the game. My guess for the non linear throttle is for the DS4 users??? Did you get the Fanatec V3 load cell pedal set? I dont have that big dead zone in my pedals.

I just thought I'd chime in here and say that my T150 x2 pedal layout has the same inch or so travel in the throttle pedal after full throttle is showing in the game. This has been the same for me since December last year when I bought the wheel/pedals.

I may adopt your sponge hack :)

Small, but still noticable adjustment towards throttle linearity has been made in GT-R gr3 (should be same for all cars).

Back