Non-Race car Super Lap - Willow Springs International Raceway: Streets of Willow

• Thread starter et_
  • 213 comments
1:15.910 for 4800ish is going to be it for me. Having a hard time with this one. :guilty:

EDIT: I lied about my time but in the opposite way. :lol: It was actually in the 7XX range haha. Still slow.

Last edited:
Enjoying this one, presently at 1:11,790 with DS3 and ABS1.
Thanks for sharing your tune @SW__10 👍 (Still need some more practice to come close to your time :bowdown:)

What a BS regarding the use of driving aids in the seasonals.
Agree totally with ALB123; "use whatever ya want (as long as you're not hacking/modding your vehicle in ANY way) in these events."

Last edited:
et_
@ALB123 : "ASM" is an extremely common function in all new road cars, however it's not always called that. Usually they call it "ESC" or "DSC". BMW has a button called "DTC" (Dynamic Traction Control), when you press it you turn off the "DTC", but the Antispin (TC) is still on. To turn that off I have to press and hold the DTC button for 3 seconds.

Many manufacturers are working on a system similar to the function of the Active Steering aswell, and if I'm not mistaken, the new Porsche 911 with the electronic steering servo already has it.

Also, this is the 2'nd TT in a row where top times are being set with TC on (the last one at matterhorn was as well), and as you said, that has not happened since... ever. I actually suspect PD changed how the TC work in that latest update.

Other than that I got to say you are spot on in your analysis.:cheers:

Porsche calls their system PSM: Porsche Stability Management. On the newer models it has three settings: Normal, Sport and Sport Plus (and of course, off). 90% of the drivers will be faster with PSM ON set to Sport Plus, but of course, there are always some people complaining about those things.

To those people I want to say, get a (930) 911 Turbo and go out for a drive. When you come back and have pissed your pants, maybe you will accept those little helpers more easily :)...

Porsche calls their system PSM: Porsche Stability Management. On the newer models it has three settings: Normal, Sport and Sport Plus (and of course, off). 90% of the drivers will be faster with PSM ON set to Sport Plus, but of course, there are always some people complaining about those things.

To those people I want to say, get a (930) 911 Turbo and go out for a drive. When you come back and have pissed your pants, maybe you will accept those little helpers more easily :)...
I think somebody already mentioned this, but where's the s**t storm about ABS usage? I mean for me it makes no difference, but someone could ask for example how come we have ABS on lotus 97 and it also uses flappy paddles with no problem though I'm quite sure those things weren't even invented back then :D I mean jeez... It's truly amusing that this presents such an issue for some people, though they have no problem using ABS... I mean it almost seems that some people are just too ignorant of the skill those aliens possess, and are constantly making excuses why they are so slow.

👎

Last edited:
@ODB : You're completely right about that.

Although it would be interesting to have some kind of "ultra-realism" mode in GT6, where every car only has the aids that they had in reality. Then you would only get to drive the Lotus 97T if you bought a wheel with clutch and H-shifter :banghead::D:banghead::D:banghead:

@ODB : Then you would only get to drive the Lotus 97T if you bought a wheel with clutch and H-shifter :banghead::D:banghead::D:banghead:

Was thinking the same thing :lol: but yeah "ultra-realism" mode sounds magnificent, they should supply the wheel with little gas tank that sets you on fire after crashing 97T :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After over 300 miles with the Suzuki GSX-R/4, I've been able to crack into the top 60 with a lap time of 1:11.009!:)

The Suzuki GSX is surely a great car for this time trial, but I've grown tired of its engine sound, even though its such a great handling machine.👍

I've had a ton of spectacular crashes once I've gone off-track out into the sand, sometimes heavily nose-into a sand berm or fence, and other times nose-up with the GSX on its tail, in a position for launch.:eek: I'm pretty sure that I would have received the moon-shot trophy again if it was possible to win twice.:crazy:

I find it quite entertaining that we are able to drive outside the track-side cones at the start of the lap, to get our speeds up for the dash down the start-finish straight.:)

I've been using a mixture of @SW__10 and @WhoosierGirl tunes:tup: Thanks!

See you on the tracks!
GTsail

@ODB : You're completely right about that.

Although it would be interesting to have some kind of "ultra-realism" mode in GT6, where every car only has the aids that they had in reality. Then you would only get to drive the Lotus 97T if you bought a wheel with clutch and H-shifter :banghead::D:banghead::D:banghead:
Soooo, the DS3 users, what do they get to drive? :P

Is it just me, or does this track make you feel like you're flouting trough air rather than driving on tarmac? I mean I think I just made longest trail braking of my life coming to that turn 1 (I mean that hairpin) I think I was sort of sliding from the moment I hit the brakes and really gently kept steering and braking all the way to the apex almost, I was on the first sector .2 faster than usually but of course I mess it all up on that weird mesh of some sort of corners before that left sweeper, which also seems to give really nice result if you can somehow toss your car there, once again sort of like making the car float, or something...

yeah... :lol:

@et_ and @nExx Thank you for correcting me, where I originally said ASM was a feature invented by PD for use in Gran Turismo. I guess since I have always turned it off, since day one, I never really understood what it actually did. Now that I know that real car manufacturers are enabling systems like our ASM in their vehicles is all the more reason I say "let people use what THEY want...I'll use what I want in Time Trials."

I am definitely a supporter of Gran Turismo future versions moving in a direction where if the car you've chosen to drive never offered ABS, then you can't use it. If it's a car that offers Traction Control and ABS in real life, then you can use those two settings in the game, or you can turn them off completely, it's your choice. THAT would be realism. But, if the game continues to offer aids (and ABS most certainly IS an aid) then we must accept that people might decide to use them. And if they set better times with the use of aids, my only suggestion is to use them as well and try to beat them.

Thank you for correcting my statements guys...I appreciate being corrected if I state something that is false. :cheers:

@et_ and @nExx Thank you for correcting me, where I originally said ASM was a feature invented by PD for use in Gran Turismo. I guess since I have always turned it off, since day one, I never really understood what it actually did. Now that I know that real car manufacturers are enabling systems like our ASM in their vehicles is all the more reason I say "let people use what THEY want...I'll use what I want in Time Trials."

I am definitely a supporter of Gran Turismo future versions moving in a direction where if the car you've chosen to drive never offered ABS, then you can't use it. If it's a car that offers Traction Control and ABS in real life, then you can use those two settings in the game, or you can turn them off completely, it's your choice. THAT would be realism. But, if the game continues to offer aids (and ABS most certainly IS an aid) then we must accept that people might decide to use them. And if they set better times with the use of aids, my only suggestion is to use them as well and try to beat them.

Thank you for correcting my statements guys...I appreciate being corrected if I state something that is false. :cheers:
I myself am amazed by the number of assistance systems the manufacturers offer today. For example, the new Ferrari 458 Speciale has some kind of "drift-assisstance-system" which helps you deliver great drifts that would normally be rather difficult in a mid-engined supercar. It's crazy.
Of course you can always say people with real talent can do it without those systems, but as ODB said, why doesn't anybody complain about ABS? Because we are all used to it, and because its essential!
On the other hand I have great respect for people who are fast in cars without these systems (old Porsches, Caterhams etc.)

On a less serious note, I really like the sound of this car compared to the Suzuki, it is a 1968 Mazda Cosmo Sport.
Not the fastest car for this seasonal but at 467pp it's really fun to drive and capable of getting gold. 1:18.167.

Plus it is so so cute in PINK :)

Sticking with the Rotary theme, my RX7 Bathurst ran a 1:15.389 with a DS3.

For a front engined sports car surrounded by track day racers, I think that's not half bad. :)

I have just read some of the very interesting posts and would like to jump in with my opinions.

First and foremost, I respect @nowcontrol @et_ @WhoosierGirl @332i opinions. As a new driver in this game (6 weeks or so), I watch some of your replays and look up to learning from the way you drive in these events a lot.

I would express my opinions based on my actual game experience and actual driving/autocross/track in real life. It can be right and wrong.

Topic: Driving aids
1. There is a DIFFERENCE between increasing the CAR'S LIMIT and the CONSISTENCY driving the car at its limit.
2. Increasing the CAR'S LIMIT WILL improves lap time while CONSISTENCY is driving the car limit most of the time but consistency does not improve lap time.
3. Driving aids such as running on racing soft, and SRF INCREASE CAR'S LIMIT because this gives you MORE traction. As the traction circle gets bigger, it will offer more G-force and ultimately, the car has a higher corner speed limit and hence improve lap time.
4. Driving aids such as traction control, ASM, driving line, ABS etc... do NOT increase CAR's LIMIT because 1. These aids do not add more HP/Torque, 2. These aids do not add more traction. They DO IMPROVE your CONSISTENCY of driving the car at its limit. For example, let's say a newbie who just starts this game, they probably can't finish the lap without crashing everywhere. However, with the driving line on, they can learn the "safe" line to finish the track without crashing and with some practice, they can consistently obtain consistent lap times.
5. Regarding traction control, I personally feel that it actually makes slower lap time because the computer would kick in at some moment to cut off the power to prevent you from spinning out. However, as you develop the sensitivity in throttle control, you don't need interference from the computer. With that freedom, you can drive a little harder than the computer limits you. I do a lot of autocross with my Lexus IS350 in real life and from my very real experiences, I almost always get better lap times with traction control OFF than on. I share the same experience in GT6, I almost always find better lap times with traction control OFF in most cars on most tracks. Of course there is exception, on car with crazy power such as the red bull, I find traction control on giving me better lap time. This is because the throttle response is too sensitive for me due to such high power.
6. When all aids are off (except ABS), the cars seem more alive and IN MY CONTROL so therefore, I drive without aids from day 1 because driving immersion is top priority.

Topic: Game Goals/Priority
1. Everyone plays this game for various different reasons. Some play very competitively. Some look for realism in driving simulation. Some look for both and many other reasons.
2. To be competitive in this game especially on the time trials, there are 3 major contributors:
a. Driving skill.
b. The RIGHT CAR for the RIGHT track.
c. The RIGHT TUNE for the car.
d. Consistency.
3. My opinion: The people who made to the top 10 on the leaderboard definitely at least know how to drive conceptually. At least they know very good line and possess knowledge of car driving techniques. This leads to my few other points.
4. Without driving aids, they can still make very fast and competitive time with pretty good consistency.
5. With driving aids that improve consistency (not SRF nor racing soft tire), they can further consistently drive the car at its limit and nail top competitive time almost all the times.
6. With driving aids that increase car's limit (SRF and better tire), they can achieve even better time.

Topic: Game suggestions
1. PD should make 2 main leader-boards:
a. No tune, no aid.
b. Tune + aids.

2. Within the main leader-board in (1). PD should make SUB-leader-boards sortable by CAR and COUNTRY. The leaderboard by car is what I craved for the most because then I can compare apple to apple and know exactly how much more potential I can gain from driving that same car on the very same track!

3. Make one-make car event on time trial where EVERYONE uses the same car such as the Lexus on Nuburgring few months ago. Then, in the following week, choose a different car. This is more entertaining than seeing the same Suzuki GSX on the leader board for so many times lol.

LIKE this post if you agree with some of my saying :) :cheers:

Last edited:
a lot of stuff
I agree, however there are instances where the computer just do it better than any human can, the gixxer at bathurst a month ago is a good example, @eclipsee said that Active Steering improved by about 0.5 in the esses, in my case it was more like 0.2 seconds, but that is still alot of time that I simply could'nt get out of the car with it turned off. simply because it reacts and countersteer faster than any human could possibly do.

Last edited:
et_
Soooo, the DS3 users, what do they get to drive? :P
A Toyota GT86 15th Anniversary. :D
Gold on my fist lap. Much room for improvement, but I'm so bored with GT6 that have lost all motivation, so I went out immediately after the first lap.

No need to advise me to use the "soapbox" GSX-R. That piece of junk is slow and has no acceleration. I'm better with a Clio RS than with the GSX-R. :lol:

A Toyota GT86 15th Anniversary. :D
Gold on my fist lap. Much room for improvement, but I'm so bored with GT6 that have lost all motivation, so I went out immediately after the first lap.

No need to advise me to use the "soapbox" GSX-R. That piece of junk is slow and has no acceleration. I'm better with a Clio RS than with the GSX-R. :lol:
Thats not really what I ment, but well done m8!:cheers:

On another note, as I stated earlier I did 1'11.2 on my very first lap at the beginning of the event. I picked this up again today, and immidietly tested the setup by @SW__10 , however after just 2 laps it was clear to me that this setup did not suit me very well, so I went back to my old tune, wich is not even for this event or track, however I kept the gearbox provided by @SW__10 . It got me down to 1'10.8 on my 2'nd lap. Now the car was very fast but too jerky, so I changed the LSD to fix it, it worked and I ended up with something that felt quite alright. did about 20 min and got down to 1'10.1. made some minor changes again and did another 10 minutes, got 1'09.6 however it was redlapped. it did'nt gain me any time tho and was far from perfect, so I can see a 1'09.4. probably more than that concidering I have only done about an hour with this in total yet.:) this is working out alot better than the FGT trial for me. I'll post the tune soon.:P

edit, here it is:

Suspension:
Ride height: 100/85
Spring rate: 6.00/5.70
Dampers compression: 5/5
Dampers extension: 4/4
Anti-roll bars: 7/7
Camber angle: 0.0/0.0
Toe angle: 0.00/0.20
Brake balance: 7/4

Transmisson:
Same as @SW__10 :
first reset to default, then final gear to 4400, then max speed to 180kmh
1'st: 5.508
2'nd: 4.083
3'rd: 3.450
4'th: 2.900
5'th: 2.478
6'th: 2.113
Final gear: 3.000

Differential:
Initial torque: 8
Acceleration sensitivity: 10
Braking sensitivity: 18

Power:
Do oil change, install all power upgrades, and set limiter @97.3%

Body:
No weight reduction
Install a wing and improve body rigidity
Downforce: /20
Ballast weight: 170kg
Ballast position: +8%

Driving Aids:
Active Steering: Strong
ABS: 1
Everything else: off.

Last edited:
After an oil change to recover some lost horsepower, I found another 1/2 tenth, so my best lap is now a 1:10.962:)

-- 56th place this morning.

See you on the tracks!
GTsail

Tweaked my brake balance to 5/3 and improved my time slightly.

I think I might be done with this TT.

I'm getting a nosebleed this high up the leader board :lol:.

Good luck if you are still pushing for a better time!

:cheers:

I think I might be done with this TT.

I'm getting a nosebleed this high up the leader board :lol:.

Good luck if you are still pushing for a better time!

:cheers:
Your time on this one is good, but your time on the FGT trial is epic!:eek:

1'09.502, still far behind you @GT_Rajman , which is a bit annoying. But to be honest, if I string a parfect lap togehter, I'm still slightly behind you. How you managed to go that fast is beyond me. Especially concidering you made a mistake in turn 1 and lost about 0.050

Same as what I've done- your tune with 5/3 b-b (and slightly shorter final drive.) Nothing to pick between this and Elias's tune for me.
Finally succumbed to the trick start (maybe 0.5 seconds?) and assisted steering (maybe another 0.5 seconds)
Still improving but I doubt I'll gain more than .2 even if I spend all day tomorrow. 11.5something atm. enjoyed this one a lot!(apart from the noise)

Last edited:
et_

@et_ Great Lap!! ^^^^^^^^:cheers:

I wish I could stay with your ghost, but lap after lap, I find ways to take improper lines thru the corners or I allow the rear of my GSX to break free:grumpy:, so all I can do is marvel at your pace by the end of the lap:bowdown: I have now run so many miles on the Willow Street dunes that I've had to refresh the chassis of my GSX!:eek:

I have improved another tenth, lowering my lap time to 1:10.861:)

Catch you later, I'm off to the beach at the Streets of Willow for a little more surf and turf!:D
GTsail

Latest Posts

Back