Nordschleife appreciation thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter drspeed
  • 187 comments
  • 16,814 views
Messages
20
Messages
drspeed-p3
After my visit to the actual Nordchleife last August, I'm completely hooked to this massive, dangerous, challenging track. GT5 has the best virtual representation of the track I've seen so far and despite being virtual, it still gives me goosebumps when an inch of one of my tires touches the grass and the car goes loose. Now that we have better damaging in-game, this track (with little runoff) will be even more unforgiving and therefore challenging.

I just wish we had online track days like in the real Nordschleife. I still can't forget the flood of all the machinery waiting in the car park until the gates open to the public. 1/3 of the cars were 997 GT3s everytime I visited. When are we getting GT3 RSs in GT5?!
 
I been hooked since gt4 and yea played other rings in other games i think PD did the ring right since gt4, i absolutely love the track, and it consumes a ton of my time when i am not grinding in gt.
 
The first few times I raced "The Ring" on GT4 I was intimidated by its length. Especially on those lap trials for the Super & A-I licence tests. But completing those two events were some of my most satisfying GT moments.

A real life visit to The Nürburgring is definitely on my bucket list!
 
This is a fantastic track, best track of the game I think.

I drove it again today with the HUD disabled and it was doubly better! Now I just wish I could get rid of that stupid map in the top left corner. :)
 
After my visit to the actual Nordchleife last August, I'm completely hooked to this massive, dangerous, challenging track. GT5 has the best virtual representation of the track I've seen so far and despite being virtual, it still gives me goosebumps when an inch of one of my tires touches the grass and the car goes loose. Now that we have better damaging in-game, this track (with little runoff) will be even more unforgiving and therefore challenging.

I just wish we had online track days like in the real Nordschleife. I still can't forget the flood of all the machinery waiting in the car park until the gates open to the public. 1/3 of the cars were 997 GT3s everytime I visited. When are we getting GT3 RSs in GT5?!

Couldn't agree more. I was there this July and the place is simply incredible.

Even if it was the only track in GT5, I would still be happy. I beat the GT-R official record last night and it was very rewarding. There's simply no other track like it in the world (Bathurst is a close second).

But yeah it would be cool if you could do online track days (kind of like the race meets in GT4) where you didn't have to race but could just lap and see other people's cars, that would be cool
 
Curious, why does the 24hr version have a section of the GP circuit missing? I don't care much for that 2nd turn, especially at night.
 
OK So I start the level 24 B-Spec race at the "Ring" and I see rain so start with rain tires. It turns out I'm the only one that did and I'm about to lap the field on my 2nd lap as they have to come all the way around to change. Thanks ! nice easy end to the championship.
 
This is a fantastic track, best track of the game I think.

I drove it again today with the HUD disabled and it was doubly better! Now I just wish I could get rid of that stupid map in the top left corner. :)

You can tun the map off. :)
 
OK So I start the level 24 B-Spec race at the "Ring" and I see rain so start with rain tires. It turns out I'm the only one that did and I'm about to lap the field on my 2nd lap as they have to come all the way around to change. Thanks ! nice easy end to the championship.

Same thing happened to me. My driver had a 5 minute lead after 1 lap.
 
I absolutely love it. (But ever since the update, I always go to arcade mode, set the damage to heavy, and race at least three laps on the 24hr Nurburg course (sometimes even 24hr de la Sarthe))
 
I loved Nurburgring in GT4, and amazingly it's even better in GT5.

You can tell Kaz really benefited from the 24 hour race he did. The track is alive in this game. Love it.
 
Signed I've been doing the german car event over and over with my sls tuning and retuning while trying to memorize the track
 
Couldn't agree more. I was there this July and the place is simply incredible.

I still can't get Pflanzgarten 1 out of my head. I could feel the front wheels getting off the ground and hitting the track hard with enough grip for a hard right corner. Absolutely incredible. That was in a modified e46 M3 driven by a local friend. This guy runs hundreds of laps every summer using several sets up Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. His daily car is an old rusting VW Polo!
 
This is a fantastic track, best track of the game I think.

I drove it again today with the HUD disabled and it was doubly better! Now I just wish I could get rid of that stupid map in the top left corner. :)

Did they just add a patch that can disable the HUD?
 
Agree with all the above posts:tup:

My best experience with the game was the first time I did three laps of the 24hr circuit with weather and time. Starting on a wet miserable afternoon with grey clouds and heavy rain, and driving around the course seeing the day getting later and later was incredible.

When it got to night time and the course was pitch black was incredible, especially seeing all the lights from the spectators around the track.

Then when dawn finally broke, and there was a slight mist in the air, I just thought to myself how truly excellent this game is. Dynamic weather and time have been implemented really well.

Despite all the flaws this game has (less so since the great update) I fail to see how anyone can't be in love with it if they were to do a few laps of the ring with weather/ time on.

Good work PD!
 
Last edited:
You can tun the map off. :)

What!

Tell me!

And to the previous post concerning the HUD. Yes, there is now an option to turn it off under the start menu when in-race.
 
Fantastic track. But as Ride posted, it is in serious trouble, financially. Even the German Govt. is having some trouble saving it.

Here's hoping 2011 does not begin with our only chance at driving this amazing circuit to remain in the game, and no longer in real life. :nervous:
 
Completely agree, it's a magical place. Took a Clio cup around it last summer. Schwedenkreuz still scares the crap out of me both IRL and in the game. Only thing missing in GT5 is the G-Forces :-)
 
I take all my cars to the Ring and take pics of them
 
AMG Driving School really made me appreciate this track a lot more. :D
 
What!

Tell me!

And to the previous post concerning the HUD. Yes, there is now an option to turn it off under the start menu when in-race.

Same spot where you turn off the hud just go to map and select off. 👍
 
What I like about it is I can drive for about 10 mins (depending on car of course) and not drive the same corner. I feel like I'm driving down old country back roads for 15 miles. Great high speed sections, tough turns up hill, then down hill. Just overall great fun to drive.
 
Same spot where you turn off the hud just go to map and select off. 👍

Wow, if it's that simple how did I miss it... :)

Thanks, that'll probably be permanently off from now on. 👍
 
What I like about it is I can drive for about 10 mins (depending on car of course) and not drive the same corner. I feel like I'm driving down old country back roads for 15 miles. Great high speed sections, tough turns up hill, then down hill. Just overall great fun to drive.

Yeah I like how it has several straights where you can relax a bit and take in the epic scenery.........while driving 300+Kph. There's even a castle thrown in for good measure. lol
 
Then when dawn finally broke, and there was a slight mist in the air, I just thought to myself how truly excellent this game is.

The early morning mist is awesome! Given the choice, I would drive at this time of day every time.

If only you could actually set the time of day rather than just chosing "change time"
 
This track plus my newly bought Nissan GTR (07 one I think) = driving nirvana. Brilliant car, handles perfectly on this track. Just fast enough to be terrifying, but not so fast that it takes the fun away. Beautiful stuff, quite frankly I'm happy if GT5 becomes my personal Nordschleiffe simulator, to hell with the rest of the game :p
 
My weapon of choice is the SLS AMG. I didn't like it at all when I saw it in person. Looks incredibly large (like e class large) and a bit drab actually.

But in game, it handles quite nicely and looks ok-ish in 'obsidian black' and lowered.
 
Back