Nordschleife appreciation thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter drspeed
  • 187 comments
  • 16,814 views
I've said it in the Premo. Forum, but the 24H version in this game is now the benchmark for sheer driving pleasure in a game. Absolutely love watching the scenery & the trackside change as the day goes by. Watching the sun set as you run down through the GP section; 2 laps later, watching the sun rise as you round into the Karussell, the morning mist in the air.

I don't think I've enjoyed the recreation of the general atmosphere that comes from racing on a track where the air, lighting, crowd, buildings, scenery all changes over time since Le Mans 24 Hours on the PS2 which did it amazingly. Like that game, LeSarthe is done beautifully as well though you'll have to put in more time during the night to see how it looks in the morning.

But the 'Ring is just top notch. So far, I've been jumping into a few Premiums, cockpit view, & no HUD w/ MT and just put in 4-5 laps. I honestly think if more of the standards where premiums, I don't think I'd care what the car was as long as I could enjoy the same driving experience from one vehicle to the next.
 
Kurei read my mind. First car I bought was a ZR-1 and it's been thrown all over Greenie. All the off camber corners are excellent practice on car placement. Turn TCS off and leave on the sport tires. If you don't have her pointed the right way when you press the loud pedal, bad things happen....
 
There is no other track like Nordschleife, it is THE ultimate racing track, very fast, narrow, bumpy.

If you give me a choice Nordschleife only or a 100 of tracks without Nordschleife in GT5, I would not think for a minute! I absolutely adore this track!

Check out couple of vids from Nordschleife on my YouTube channel (link in my signature). More will be added soon!
 
I'd be happy if Gran Turismo was just a Nurburgring simulator with a load of cars. I've only just acquired GT5 (and can't play it until I reclaim my wheel from a friend), but the majority of my time spent playing GT4 (and I played a lot; wore out two driving force pros) was doing free runs on Nordschleife.

I used to just run stock production cars on road tyres with the driving aids off. Such a beautiful and insane track; it has everything! My main objective in playing GT5 will be acquiring as many cars as possible to run 'round the ring. It's just good.

Fave Nurburgring car from GT4 - RUF Yellowbird

Can't wait to take that thing for a spin with improved physics, a better version of the track, and nicer graphics.
 
I'm not a fan of driving line honestly, for every racetrack it's just bad.
If you want to learn the nurb, get on with the amg academy wihtout any line. Why ? because you'll learn the track that way. For me at least when I had driving line on I wasnt checking for braking point etc.. I was just following the line, so you basicaly dont learn anything, as soon as I turned the line of I was going faster time after time. Having a ghost is nice too.

And do like you would do in RL, start by going relatively slow until you know most of the turn, then try to break a bit later, see how it goes and update your braking markers and so on until you find your racing pace. I found out that the most important things on the ring is to be constant, not attacking at 100% but beeing able to drive it a 95% of my possibility without any mistake will usually bring me better result then when I try to go full speed.
 
Found my way to appreciate it :)

nrburgringnordschleife.jpg


( yes it's a Standard 1986 st165 Celica, light tuning to 300ish HP, wich happen to be my OWN REAL car , only with different rims )

GT5 'Ring is SO AWESOME!!

P.s.

I knew the Porsche in my video was driven by Rohrl , but I also know that some 4x4 EVO & Subaru car clubs get some snowed events sometimes :sly:
 
I agree with the OP.

Kaz has virtualised the Nordschleife better than anyone else. Looking good is one thing but the topography is what makes this the most challenging version in any racing game I've played.

In fact I'd say GT4's version is better than anything else out there too.
 
Last night I decided to take my 600 BHP Red Z06 online and found a 24 hour version up and running. There was only 3 of us in there, which was fine, as I was looking to test myself and my car out.

It was only set to dry weather, but in my three laps, I got to race one completely at night, one during the day, and the other one was a transitional period.

Needless to say, I was blown away by the night time lap. The way the headlights lit the the track and the surrounding area was near the point of reaching surreal.

The racing line was on, so the fear factor was not present, but I do plan on racing that track at night with the line off. Some of those blind corners should be a challenge.
 
Red Bull X1 on the Ring is insane.

Now gonna try a Audi R10.

Love this track
 
the first time i bought my gtr spec v, i test it on the ring, and all i can say is AWESOME...

You need to be both careful and aggresive to put a decent time on the ring. When the sun comes down, then you look back, its so dark and thrills you, and when the sun starts to come up as you accelerate your car down to the final long stretch, no words can describe what you feel. The ring is undoubtly one of my favourite track in GT5, it scares me for some reason but i love driving in it.
 
the 24H version in this game is now the benchmark for sheer driving pleasure in a game.

Absolutely agree with you 100%

The normal Nurburgring is very good, however, adding the GP track to the end / start is just genius. It really helps break up the monotonous nature of all those trees!!!

The only endurance race I've had any kind of real enjoyment and satisfaction from is the 'ring 4hr. I know this track is slightly shorter than the 24h version, but it's still fantastic.

It's really taken this track to a level where no other track can even think about getting to. That feeling of going past the pit lane and thinking ''......here we go again......'', compared to the Suzuka 1000kms or the Tsukuba 4 / 9hr races, the 'ring 4hr is almost motoring nirvana.

If only my pit stop crew looked like the Hawiian Tropics promo girls then it'd be simply unbeatable..

:)
 
Very good track, but trees with pixel, more pixel 👎
and the corianders rain? :dunce:
 
I agree with the poeple who said earlier that they want the historical layout of "the ring" in the game. It has been done before by hardcore modders on PC games. A dev team like PD should be able to do it even better or has good if the modders got it right. There are plenty of pictures and there is remaining sections of the south loop. Plus I'm sure there are the original blueprints lying around somewhere. Such a shame they had to tear up the original layout for the new gp track. Surely they could have put it some where else.

Then they could have linked the gp, north AND south loops!!! That could have been EPIC!
 
Here's my appreciation with Mclaren F1 ;) (7.21.7xx, all aids off, abs-off, sports hard tires, DFGT wheel)


 
Last edited:
I've said it in the Premo. Forum, but the 24H version in this game is now the benchmark for sheer driving pleasure in a game. Absolutely love watching the scenery & the trackside change as the day goes by. Watching the sun set as you run down through the GP section; 2 laps later, watching the sun rise as you round into the Karussell, the morning mist in the air.

I don't think I've enjoyed the recreation of the general atmosphere that comes from racing on a track where the air, lighting, crowd, buildings, scenery all changes over time since Le Mans 24 Hours on the PS2 which did it amazingly. Like that game, LeSarthe is done beautifully as well though you'll have to put in more time during the night to see how it looks in the morning.

But the 'Ring is just top notch. So far, I've been jumping into a few Premiums, cockpit view, & no HUD w/ MT and just put in 4-5 laps. I honestly think if more of the standards where premiums, I don't think I'd care what the car was as long as I could enjoy the same driving experience from one vehicle to the next.

Indeed I did the same and it gets to the point where I can't believe what I am seeing, the atmosphere, the lighting, the weather. Astonishing. I hope all tracks are time and weather enabled in the future.
 
I both love and fear this track. Every game I've played with this track in it, I always fear it but in GT5, I fear it even more. It is so bumpy when I'm out there racing on it, in GT5, I feel like I'm gonna crash at any moment...it's fantastic, I love the track, but like I say...it's a scary track!
 
My first visit to the 'Ring was with my trusty original Xbox in PGR2. Then I first raced on it in a sim in Forza Motorsport.

Now after a few years I'm back in the Green Hell in GT5 and it's gotten more demanding. The road is relatively narrow and of course undulating, and it's both a challenge and a joy to drive. Hitting that sweet spot in a nice car, especially a car I'm confident in, is just so much more rewarding.
 
I've had a couple intense online battles on the Ring. Very fun, but it definitely feels more treacherous than in GT4. That little bump around Klostertal (slight right-hander before the sharp right leading to Karussell?), when taken at a nice clip, freaks me out sometimes.

All in all, it's awesome. Thank you, Kaz / PD!

👍
 
My first visit to the 'Ring was with my trusty original Xbox in PGR2. Then I first raced on it in a sim in Forza Motorsport.

Now after a few years I'm back in the Green Hell in GT5 and it's gotten more demanding. The road is relatively narrow and of course undulating, and it's both a challenge and a joy to drive. Hitting that sweet spot in a nice car, especially a car I'm confident in, is just so much more rewarding.

Thats because both were very inaccurate sadly, it has gotten demanding because it is modelled accurately in Gran Turismo. You should have tried GT4's Nordscheife.
 
I actually fell in love with it today, I raced on it three times today:)
 
If they sold the game with Nurburgring and all its variations alone, I'd still buy this game for $60.
 
So whos got the fastest lap overall? I ran a 4:03.XXX in the X1 with a spin (no red), im sure under 4 minutes is possible but i didnt have the time to do it.
 
Might be my favorite track. Running the ring in an F1 or F2007 is heavenly.
 
Race car drivers call it the Green He11 or in German, the Grüne Hölle. It should be on the next installment of DTM on Speed Tv, that leg of their race series.
 
That's good and all, but I hate the Nordschleife, or rather how this game makes you race on it. It is no fun to drive like a maniac on this track in every friggin A-spec race that features it. Hell, take the new seasonal NASCAR on this and what do they do? They design a license test (sorry I don't call these seasonal events 'races') which needs you to overtake 11 cars within 2 laps in similar cars, add to that they gave the leader a 50 second lead.

WTF is this? If anyone has run a clean race on this track with a car comparable to the one the AI uses, I'll be glad to eat my words. But wtf, this is not how anyone should be driving on Nurburgring.
 
Some of the things written on the track by people. They do it mostly when its open to the public.

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7116204/the-general-forum/random-writing-on-nurburgring/index.html

near corner "Pflanzgarten" @ kilometer mark 17
there is "TAXI" written in white, followed by:
NO LAIKA VIELBREKE BILL
crappy VW symbol in red
128
FIAT in red
ZENS greats K88T in yellow
symbol in white
Thiim
Misery written in cursive with a depressed face
KU
BLEIBT
something written in red
Andenach written in red with white outline
FEB
z in a circle (crappy Opel symbol?)
something written in yellow
THURMA?
615
MEHR Kuhglocke
Weglide
something written in white
better looking Opel symbol in yellow w/MBL below it
something written in white
Audi symbol in yellow w/AUDI below it
Gibt Harold Dirfroh Han in yellow
Ford symbol
VW symbol in blue and white
bunch of faded writing
MUSLIA in yellow
HOYEL
AMC in white
sie KOMMt002233
LAIKA VIELBREKE BILL (again)
VW symbol in white
TUTi FRUTTi with a heart below it
crappy Opel symbol
DOCEDDY
something in white
313
PORSCHE
ANTRIEB HART
BMW LIES (LOL, not joking about that one, it really says that!)
HONDA
bleibe Hoos
Mr. Hauptsehlass in yellow
Audi symbol in red w/AUDI below it
blue VW symbol
Bunbur?
See-AR?
HONDEO in yellow
MELLE
UME HOYLE BRUSSL ?RUNE HOLLE
SIBGAS
Limit
Team Alle?
BEN
AUBRIY SIND
What happened to Red Seven?

Read more: http://forums.motortrend.com/70/711...iting-on-nurburgring/index.html#ixzz19O8xVpZ5
 
Having not played any of the GT games for nearly a decade, my only experience of the green hell has been in Forza 2 and 3. Needless to say my first few experiences in Forza 2 were not very fun. However, it only took 10 or so laps for me to get to the point that I started liking the track, and a few more for it to become my favorite.

Now with GT5 I'm still getting a feel for the game, of course on the ring. My favorite cars on the ring are 7 to 9 minute cars. Race cars don't really interest me much. M3's, Corvettes, GTRs, etc are my prefered ring type cars. Something I may own some day.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that I have a rythm for the ring. If I run off or mess up, I generally end up fighting the rest of the lap until I find the rythm again. Anyone else have this trouble?

My biggest frustration so far with GT5 is having to grind through races to make money for new cars that I can build, tune, and drive on the ring.
 
That's good and all, but I hate the Nordschleife, or rather how this game makes you race on it. It is no fun to drive like a maniac on this track in every friggin A-spec race that features it. Hell, take the new seasonal NASCAR on this and what do they do? They design a license test (sorry I don't call these seasonal events 'races') which needs you to overtake 11 cars within 2 laps in similar cars, add to that they gave the leader a 50 second lead.

WTF is this? If anyone has run a clean race on this track with a car comparable to the one the AI uses, I'll be glad to eat my words. But wtf, this is not how anyone should be driving on Nurburgring.

I don't get it.. yes they have 50 seconds lead, but they drive slower then possible, and therefore you can catch them if you drive the best you can.. i'm trying it right now, it's hard, but it's definately doable.. and yes it can be clean
 
I don't get it.. yes they have 50 seconds lead, but they drive slower then possible, and therefore you can catch them if you drive the best you can.. i'm trying it right now, it's hard, but it's definately doable.. and yes it can be clean

This event is actually a pain in the ass cuz one major mistake and i'm sure you're chances of getting gold are done. I tried like 3 to 4 times yesterday and most of my mistakes were in the 2nd lap. It's hard trying to go full out on this event but it's rewarding as hell. It actually took alot out of me after my last try lol.

On another note, has anyone driven the M5 completely BONE STOCK on this track? I did yesterday and I must say, it was probably one of the most pleasurable, most rewarding drives ever on this game.
 
I don't get it.. yes they have 50 seconds lead, but they drive slower then possible, and therefore you can catch them if you drive the best you can.. i'm trying it right now, it's hard, but it's definately doable.. and yes it can be clean

Ha, I tried to be clean but the AI kept surprising me with slashes from one side to the other, that isn't a normal move on a fast lap. So instead of crashing out I wound up bumping them nose to tail...ah well it's the NASCAR way anyway isn't it? :dopey:

Eye candy:

Hans Stuck
BMW M3 GTR - Nurburgring 24H 1 lap (Nordschleife + GP)
Awesome audio of those straight-cut gears...
 
Back