Nose Standing

• Thread starter trumpy81
  • 76 comments
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
A. M
GDay All,

It appears that I am not the only one who is disappointed with GT6. The car physics are absolutely attrocious even when compared to earlier versions of GT which is supposed to be the center of GT in the first place.

This is supposed to be a 'Driving Simulator' but I have played better car games than this 30 years ago. I will say that the graphics have improved but I can only see them in SD thanks to the HDCP BS even though all my equipment is supposed to be HDCP compliant.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Nose Standing cars (I am new here though). This occurs especially on Tokyo 246. When an AI car brakes for a corner it stands on its nose, literally. Absolutely ridiculous!! This is a driving simulator? I think not. I believe even the car you are driving does this, but it doesn't show, it does behave as though the rear end has lost traction though.

Dirt racing has always been iffy in GT but in GT6 it's absolutely crap, it doesn't even rate as a good arcade game.

This looks like the end of GT for me and I certainly wont shell out for a PS4 either. Anyone out there got an original PS one and GT 1 for sale (it's the only version I'm missing)?

GT 1 was buggy and quirky, but it was much closer to being a driving simulator than this latest pile of rubbish.

This is supposed to be a 'Driving Simulator' but I have played better car games than this 30 years ago.

What 'Driving Simulator' were you playing thirty years ago that was better than GT6? :sly:

I believe even the car you are driving does this, but it doesn't show, it does behave as though the rear end has lost traction though.

You may be onto something here. My sprinter has an annoying habit of spinning, even after the slightest of collisions with the rear of an AI car. For the life of me I cannot understand why. At first I thought it was something to do with a new penalty system that PD had introduced, but anecdotal evidence, does not back up this theory. I have not looked at any replays, though I will do some tests to corroborate your claims.

I have the replay of it happening on Tokyo R246. I also forgot to mention that if you touch a curb on Tokyo R246 your car will barrel roll. At least it did for me. Watch it here:

And I wasn't playing a driving simulator I was playing car games like Grand Prix and Grand Prix 2 :)

I've noticed this problem with > lancers and some alfas on materhorn mostly. if you equip lancer with RSlicks you'experienced something like that when you break real hard going over a bump. Must be something wrong with weight distr. in those cars. Don't see why whole physics model is broken because of that ? Funny , same thing is going on in ForzaMotorsport5 > AI fiat500abarth's are constantly going nose-dive every race > 5-6 cars at once ? PD will fix It.

Hi All - Just joined, in fact this is my first post. I too have had this problem with the Honda CRX, fully tuned with all weight reductions included, car down to 867kg ??? Even to the point of the car rolling onto its roof, nose first, this only happens at the bottom of the steep hill at Matterhorn, or at least thats all so far.

Compensated for this by putting 40kg of ballast positioned at 30% to the rear. This seems to have corrected the problem, but of course you take the hit on PP.

I have the replay of it happening on Tokyo R246. I also forgot to mention that if you touch a curb on Tokyo R246 your car will barrel roll. At least it did for me. Watch it here:

And I wasn't playing a driving simulator I was playing car games like Grand Prix and Grand Prix 2 :)

Madness isn't it?

The physics seems to be the only defence against the arcade style race from the back events and rubber banded AI, and then it does this!

+1 for f1GP2 - me & 8 friends played 8 full length seasons (as in full 2hr practice, qualifying & full length races) in time split multiplayer over several years. The best gaming fun I've ever had.

I still have f1GP 4 installed on an xp32 partition, sadly it has no FFB, so it just feels wrong trying to play it with my wheel :(

I have only witnessed it once during the 500pp Clubman cup. I was racing on the Matterhorn circuit using the stock Evo I had won previously. An opponents more modern Evo, I think, stood on its nose.

I have a theory as to what is causing this problem. While GT's handling Physics are very good, the roll-over physics are very poor, almost as if there is no actual weight to the car. I think during heavy braking and turning, rather than the rear/inside wheels going light, they are trying to go straight into a roll because of the 'lack of weight' caused by the poor roll over physics. Look at any video of a roll over in GT6 (or roll a car yourself) then look at a real life roll over (don't do this yourself) and you'll see in GT the car almost slides across the floor like a toy, rather than slamming and grinding like it should.

I've noticed this problem with > lancers and some alfas on materhorn mostly. if you equip lancer with RSlicks you'experienced something like that when you break real hard going over a bump. Must be something wrong with weight distr. in those cars. Don't see why whole physics model is broken because of that ? Funny , same thing is going on in ForzaMotorsport5 > AI fiat500abarth's are constantly going nose-dive every race > 5-6 cars at once ? PD will fix It.

It's not just these two problems that make the physics bad it's the overall handling of the cars that is the problem. Obviously you have never driven a high performance car at speed and therefore have never experienced what that feels like. I'm no race driver by any means, but I have driven many high perfomance cars, including an XY GTHO, XA GT, Jaguar XJ6, Porsche 911 Carrera, a few Mercedes etc... and comparing these experiences with those in GT you can easily see just how bad the physics really are. They don't even meet arcade standards if the truth be told. FYI I have raced motorcycles for many years and I currently ride a Triumph Rocket III, but hey, I'm old now ... lol

Madness isn't it?

The physics seems to be the only defence against the arcade style race from the back events and rubber banded AI, and then it does this!

+1 for f1GP2 - me & 8 friends played 8 full length seasons (as in full 2hr practice, qualifying & full length races) in time split multiplayer over several years. The best gaming fun I've ever had.

I still have f1GP 4 installed on an xp32 partition, sadly it has no FFB, so it just feels wrong trying to play it with my wheel :(

I was never that keen on racing in F1GP but I did enjoy the game immensely. Even though F1GP was a little arcadeish it still had better physics than GT6. Of course I only use the hand controller and I know that GT behaves very differently when using a wheel. I have a wheel, but unfortunately I have nowhere to set it up :(

I have a theory as to what is causing this problem. While GT's handling Physics are very good, the roll-over physics are very poor, almost as if there is no actual weight to the car. I think during heavy braking and turning, rather than the rear/inside wheels going light, they are trying to go straight into a roll because of the 'lack of weight' caused by the poor roll over physics. Look at any video of a roll over in GT6 (or roll a car yourself) then look at a real life roll over (don't do this yourself) and you'll see in GT the car almost slides across the floor like a toy, rather than slamming and grinding like it should.

You may well be right. I was campaining a Lotus Europa around the Materhorn and watching the physics of the car in replay, it wallows around all over the place but in a very non realistic manner, it almost appears as though it's in slow motion compared to what is actually going on. The suspension settings help but not that much. I guess this is because of the frame rates on the PS3 and PD have had to compromise so that GT will run on the PS3. I will be interested to see how GT performs if/when it moves to XBox.

I personally believe it is caused by one or a combination of these factors:
-Reduced in-game Earth gravity,
-Higher tire grip,
-And/or a more profound top-heaviness in all cars. It looks as though the center of weight for all of GT6's cars may have been shifted upwards, making them all maneuver kind of like double-decker buses.

I personally believe it is caused by one or a combination of these factors:
-Reduced in-game Earth gravity,
-Higher tire grip,
-And/or a more profound top-heaviness in all cars. It looks as though the center of weight for all of GT6's cars may have been shifted upwards, making them all maneuver kind of like double-decker buses.

Actually, since you mentioned it, that could well be the problem. The cars are very squirrely on the track at best and certainly do roll and wallow a lot more than in other versions of GT. That would fit well with a changed COG and lack of gravity.

Trust me with all the experience I have on my race-bicycle. It has a high center-of-gravity so it can do minor nose-standing easily when braking hard. Anything with a lower COG, especially a heavy car like the Lancer in the video, should not do this.

Trust me with all the experience I have on my race-bicycle. It has a high center-of-gravity so it can do minor nose-standing easily when braking hard. Anything with a lower COG, especially a heavy car like the Lancer in the video, should not do this.

You're right about that! Cars in general have a lower COG than most bicycles, while it's not impossible, it is most unlikely that you would ever see a standard street car perform in this manner, which is a real shame ... lol

At first I thought you were a huge troll ;) but yeah I watched your video and that has got to be addressed with a patch/update immediately. I love GT6 but that is certainly not part of any "real driving simulator".

Pole position was glorious.

Thanks for posting that video, it brought back some fun memories for sure. :lol:
I don't think I ever completed a lap in PP without crashing ... lol

But I played it on the PC, not on an Atari ... lol

Wheel standing Italian cars. The first on happened right in front of me, the other I saw in my rear view mirror. The cars all seem a little twitchy to me. My Honda NSX seems tail happy, this might explain it. Côte d'Azur_1.jpg Côte d'Azur.jpg

:embarrassed: That has to be one of the all time worst games ever! ... lol :P

Somewhere Kaz mentioned Pole Position was a big influence for creating the GT series (which I always thought explained a lot:P)

Even today in GT 6 you get the countdown then that big "bling" sound and START flashes across the screen at the beginning of races…just like Pole Position

Last edited:
Of course I only use the hand controller and I know that GT behaves very differently when using a wheel. I have a wheel, but unfortunately I have nowhere to set it up :(

I had my wheel for at least a year before I could properly use it, because I just couldn't find anywhere suitable to attach it to, and there were no chairs or seating which would match the height of whatever I did manage to fix it to etc...

Then I got a wheel stand pro - I can't recommend these enough. Since then I always use the wheel in any game that supports it. Awesome product & well worth the £100 or so it cost me.

I had my wheel for at least a year before I could properly use it, because I just couldn't find anywhere suitable to attach it to, and there were no chairs or seating which would match the height of whatever I did manage to fix it to etc...

Then I got a wheel stand pro - I can't recommend these enough. Since then I always use the wheel in any game that supports it. Awesome product & well worth the £100 or so it cost me.

I just did a search for Wheel Stand Pro and discovered that I haven't seen these before and they would be perfect for what I need. I went to order one and guess what, they're out of stock :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

They seem to be available in the US but shipping is horrendous, costing almost as much as the stand :scared:

Thanks for the tip though mr_serious.

Same thing happened to me, same track, same spot, same AI car, the AI even swirl in the same way at the end towards the rail.

shn0.jpg

Back