Not Going OutTV 

• Thread starter Callum B
  • 22 comments
I presume your talking about the Lee Mack, not going out right? I have watched it all since series 1 when he lived with that american girl and yeah its an excellent comedy, really well written.

* Spoiler alert if you haven't watched it yet. *

So tonight was very likely the last ever episode of Not Going Out and I would be sad to see it go after running 8 years. Lee and Lucy finally married, such a great couple :)

I have loved this show so much and there is so many more story lines they can cover as a married couple and the hilariousness which could go with it.

Best British sitcom currently on TV hands down, I wish it got the attention it deserves. It's like one of those sleeper series like 'Episodes'... absolutely brilliant in it's quirky way.

Yeah! My friend showed me Not Going Out last year, and it's awesome. Doesn't even air in New Zealand (watch online until I find DVDs). It was a shame when Tim Vine left the show, because he's awesome. Though when I watch his stand up it sort of makes sense in a way.

Last edited:
They also did a special out-takes episode at the end of this season looking back through the whole sitcom. It was pretty damn hilarious especially when they were trying so desperately not to laugh. The Flat set is really realistic, weird to see it from behind the cameras.

I so hope this isn't the end of the show, even if they only do Xmas specials it's better than nothing. Lee Mack says he's exhausted from doing it all these years and wants to take a few years break, maybe doing it as a theatre stage show in the mean time.

Yay! They are indeed coming back with an Xmas special, I do hope this leads to another series and it's not a one off because I love Not Going Out.

I love the show but the last few series went seriously downhill, Tim was gone and you could tell Lee (real) was getting tired of it and phoning it in. Some of the episodes of the last season were seriously bad, like the christening plate. The Christmas specials are usually good though, so looking forward to that. Saw the clip on TFI last night.

I love the show but the last few series went seriously downhill, Tim was gone and you could tell Lee (real) was getting tired of it and phoning it in. Some of the episodes of the last season were seriously bad, like the christening plate. The Christmas specials are usually good though, so looking forward to that. Saw the clip on TFI last night.

Yeah I also saw the clip on TFI, there is so much more story they can pursue now that she's knocked up! Can you imagine Lee as a parent! It will be like that episode where he and Tim looked after that baby.

Tim departure was sad because so much of the humour was between them. They tried to make Hugh a replacement for it but it didn't really work but I would rather have the show then nothing at all. I agree that christening episode was terrible and so was the ski lift one which felt like they were just filling an episode slot.

I liked the proposal and wedding episodes in the final season. I was just disappointed Miranda and Kate (the girl he originally lived with) didn't make a cameo.

I guess we will have to see if this turns into another season but the lack of attention the BBC gives it and the tiredness of the cast makes me think it's going to just be xmas specials going forward.

Yeah I also saw the clip on TFI, there is so much more story they can pursue now that she's knocked up! Can you imagine Lee as a parent! It will be like that episode where he and Tim looked after that baby.

Tim departure was sad because so much of the humour was between them. They tried to make Hugh a replacement for it but it didn't really work but I would rather have the show then nothing at all. I agree that christening episode was terrible and so was the ski lift one which felt like they were just filling an episode slot.

I liked the proposal and wedding episodes in the final season. I was just disappointed Miranda and Kate (the girl he originally lived with) didn't make a cameo.

I guess we will have to see if this turns into another season but the lack of attention the BBC gives it and the tiredness of the cast makes me think it's going to just be xmas specials going forward.

Yeah Hugh Dennis' character wasn't particularly interesting and his wife's character was just annoying, don't really see the point of characters like her in comedies that could seemingly never end up as part of a comedic situation. Everyone else can, although I wish they didn't make Daisy so stupid all the time.

Hopefully with a bit of a break from it he's refreshed and more interested in writing a funny script, rather than phoning it in to get it over with. I liked the wedding episode but it did all feel a bit rushed, Lee Mack wanting to get it over with. I was expecting Kate but I'd guess the actor was probably busy back in the US.

Yeah Hugh Dennis' character wasn't particularly interesting and his wife's character was just annoying, don't really see the point of characters like her in comedies that could seemingly never end up as part of a comedic situation. Everyone else can, although I wish they didn't make Daisy so stupid all the time.

Daisy was a replacement for Miranda but is way too silly in comparison, they should have made the character more witty and substantial. I agree Hugh's wife is literally an irrelevant character. As long as Lee and Lucy are on board the show can survive.

Hopefully with a bit of a break from it he's refreshed and more interested in writing a funny script, rather than phoning it in to get it over with. I liked the wedding episode but it did all feel a bit rushed, Lee Mack wanting to get it over with. I was expecting Kate but I'd guess the actor was probably busy back in the US.

The wedding episode did feel rushed, they could have fit in a whole engagement period of episodes in the lead up to it but he obviously had enough of pretty much writing all the material for the show. It must be hard to do a show like this and keep coming up with fresh jokes.

Well that was an absolutely bizarre choice of plot for a light hearted sitcom's Christmas special. It was like a comedy version of Die Hard, but still just as dark. I mean it was funny, but very bizarre and not what I was expecting.

It was extremely sinister for a sitcoms Xmas special, odd indeed but I guess it's all from Lee Mack's head. You could have been forgiven for thinking this wasn't anything to do with Not Going Out. Oh well, at least the production values were pretty high.

It was extremely sinister for a sitcoms Xmas special, odd indeed but I guess it's all from Lee Mack's head. You could have been forgiven for thinking this wasn't anything to do with Not Going Out. Oh well, at least the production values were pretty high.

It was just weird for Not Going Out, which is usually as far from serious as you can get and why I like it. It's silly, with double entendres and Lee in silly situations. Comedies have done this sort of thing before, but they've made it silly throughout. This was really serious at most times, even with the moody, sinister music as they were chased round the store.

I did wonder why it was on pretty late though, I guess that is why.

Did anyone see the first episode of the new series?

It was really really jarring jumping the story that far into the future imo. It was like we missed 3 series or something! I already miss the old flat, looked so much nicer than the house they have now. It's all really weird like a totally new programme.

I will always be loyal the the series and I love the Lee and Lucy story but I really really hope it doesn't turn into Outnumbered. One kid would have been more than enough to start with!

Did anyone see the first episode of the new series?

It was really really jarring jumping the story that far into the future imo. It was like we missed 3 series or something! I already miss the old flat, looked so much nicer than the house they have now. It's all really weird like a totally new programme.

I will always be loyal the the series and I love the Lee and Lucy story but I really really hope it doesn't turn into Outnumbered. One kid would have been more than enough to start with!

Yeah it was weird. I get that they needed to move things on to freshen it up but not that far on. It's only been just over a year since we saw Lucy give birth, now she's had two more and they're all several years old, so we're in the future? The premise of the episode was ok, but yeah, not digging the huge family aspect.

I'll always watch it but the show was by far at it's best with Tim in it, and the silly situations they got into. Lesbian neighbours, babies swallowing footballs, Lee being blind and Tim being in a wheelchair, camping at a dogging site, old lady with a pigeon and everything with Lee's dad.

Yeah it was weird. I get that they needed to move things on to freshen it up but not that far on. It's only been just over a year since we saw Lucy give birth, now she's had two more and they're all several years old, so we're in the future? The premise of the episode was ok, but yeah, not digging the huge family aspect.

I think it is supposed to be exactly 7 years on from the last episode, that is a HUGE time scale for any series to jump over. There should have been a series with them transitioning from the flat to the house with the first child then going forward a few years wouldn't have felt so sudden.

I guess it's early days and we will see how it pans out and who the rest of the cast is. Maybe we could go 6 years back in time next series... they could do a Dallas... it was all a dream!

I'll always watch it but the show was by far at it's best with Tim in it, and the silly situations they got into. Lesbian neighbours, babies swallowing footballs, Lee being blind and Tim being in a wheelchair, camping at a dogging site, old lady with a pigeon and everything with Lee's dad.

"See, I told you they all know each other!" :lol:

I think it is supposed to be exactly 7 years on from the last episode, that is a HUGE time scale for any series to jump over. There should have been a series with them transitioning from the flat to the house with the first child then going forward a few years wouldn't have felt so sudden.

I guess it's early days and we will see how it pans out and who the rest of the cast is. Maybe we could go 6 years back in time next series... they could do a Dallas... it was all a dream!

Yeah they've got three more series I read including this one so another 24-ish episodes, let's see how it goes. As long as Anna doesn't return and they throw more silly situations back in it should be good, instead of turning it into another family comedy.

"See, I told you they all know each other!" :lol:

"In fact if you must know I used to have a girlfriend who was a brief visitor to the Greek island of Kos.

You mean Lesbos. They're lesbians, not Kosovans."

Second episode was good, had one of the classic NGO twists with who did the swearing.

I hope they do some scenes out of the house in future episodes though, and I'm not sure why they changed the personality of Lucy's Mum, she used to be flirty and liked Lee to a degree.

I'm also somehow missing Daisy. I think because she brought some silliness that is missing.

Second episode was good, had one of the classic NGO twists with who did the swearing.

I agree, it was a good episode and Frank never fails to deliver.

The nagging thing that I still don't buy is Lucy and Lee being a couple purely because we never saw their romantic relationship develop. We went straight from friendship, to him proposing, to them having 3 kids!

As Lucy spent most of the last decade rebuffing his advances (whilst secretly liking him) it feels like they are still sharing a house but are not a proper couple, its not believable in some weird way. Like when Lee starts kissing her it doesn't seem right, they have never shown affection to one another!

I hope they do some scenes out of the house in future episodes though, and I'm not sure why they changed the personality of Lucy's Mum, she used to be flirty and liked Lee to a degree.

I'm also somehow missing Daisy. I think because she brought some silliness that is missing.

Maybe Lucy's Mum hates the fact that he's ended up being the father of her grandkids!

They do need to leave that house, they went out quite a lot in previous series' and this set feels a lot more claustrophobic than the flat. They really could have stayed in a flat like that with 3 kids, it was a massive warehouse conversion!

I'm pretty sure Daisy will appear at some point as it seems all the cast has carried over. I do have to wonder though, what girlfriend waits for her boyfriend to come back from Germany for NINE years? Longest "work placement" in history! :lol:

Lee really cracked me up with this one... "I said I was working class, not Oliver Twist!"

I enjoyed the Xmas Special, still got its charm and laughs. Better than some of the previous specials like that crazy shopping centre one.

Slightly odd that they have jumped so far into the future but I'm getting used to the idea and the new setting now. Hard to buy that they managed to have THREE kids despite them seemingly loathing each other! :lol:

The BBC has confirmed they have ordered a 9th and 10th season for 2018/19. This show really is one of those sleeper series which seems to do very well yet is hardly talked about.

Would be good if they could bring some characters back even if its for a cameo like Tim, Daisy, Miranda etc.

Back