Not impressed with graphics... I am now

@hennessey86: Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to be fair it IS a rather subjective matter.

For me, AC since release candidate looks really really good. The biggest change was in lighting compared to earlier. I do think GT 5 and 6 has really good lighting as well, and Spa on overcast weather in GT6 looks very "real".

But, it wasn't until I played GT65 on a monitor that some details really stood out (TVs disguise this much better). The most obvious thing was the jaggies and the flickering shadows. Then I also noticed how they "cheated" with the trees at long distance. It looked like some sort of interlace effect, where only every second line was being drawn.

AC could get some better ground textures and grass and maybe the lighting could also get slightly better, but in general I think it looks awesome now. It's plenty enough.

Edit: @magicaldog: That seems rather unnecessary.

Last edited:
I've never read so much crap, did you really just say GT5 has better graphics...................REALLY

Yes. But i acknowledge shortcomings from both sides.

GT5 at it's best is simply unbelievable and i am yet to experience something like riding N-Ring early morning or Spa in overcast weather. GT5 lighting engine is simply better (can't say anything about GT6). Yes it has ton of shortcomings (unevenest, ugly textures here and there, shadow res etc), but more or less from time to time gives me this "noo waaay" feeling.

AC problem is completely different. It has terrific IQ as you would expect it from PC game but engine is not yet up to snuff. Let's take for example heat shimmer which works or not, terrible godrays that are waaay overdone, when sun sets you are greeted with weird color pallete and ugly orange bulb for a sun.
Even if you take shadows to ultra self shadows are janky. Also default post proccess filter in not that great often crushing completely blacks in game.

AC isn't bad looking game. It looks great but it simply needs more work especially on lighting, color correction and HDR. Driveclub is recent release that nailed down GT5 at its best with consistency.

And this is how SPA looks in GT5. I am yet to see anything like that in AC.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

Tell me it doesn't look amazing even today on a hardware from 2005.
I currently run i5 and 7970 and i would absolutely kill for 1080p GT5 just to have fixed shadows and better AA.

edit:

To think about it AC has same problem as Forza. It has features in engine, good textures, ton of poly but there isn't probably someone who would nail down how to do color correction and proper HDR.

Also it is not dick measuring contest. I play AC because of physic model not graphic.

But, it wasn't until I played GT6 on a monitor that some details really stood out (TVs disguise this much better). The most obvious thing was the jaggies and the flickering shadows. Then I also noticed how they "cheated" with the trees at long distance. It looked like some sort of interlace effect, where only every second line was being drawn.

To be fair i don't think my opinion actually matters (as i don't have actually GT6) but from what i saw in various gameplay vids GT6 looked a bit worse all around. Especially interior shadows became such ****** looking things compared to GT5 (which alone were not that great but at least quality was dependent on car itself.

Didn't buy GT6 due to framerate problems.

Last edited:
Yes. But i acknowledge shortcomings from both sides.

GT5 at it's best is simply unbelievable and i am yet to experience something like riding N-Ring early morning or Spa in overcast weather. GT5 lighting engine is simply better (can't say anything about GT6). Yes it has ton of shortcomings (unevenest, ugly textures here and there, shadow res etc), but more or less from time to time gives me this "noo waaay" feeling.

AC problem is completely different. It has terrific IQ as you would expect it from PC game but engine is not yet up to snuff. Let's take for example heat shimmer which works or not, terrible godrays that are waaay overdone, when sun sets you are greeted with weird color pallete and ugly orange bulb for a sun.
Even if you take shadows to ultra self shadows are janky. Also default post proccess filter in not that great often crushing completely blacks in game.

AC isn't bad looking game. It looks great but it simply needs more work especially on lighting, color correction and HDR. Driveclub is recent release that nailed down GT5 at its best with consistency.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

Tell me it doesn't look amazing even today on a hardware from 2005.
I currently run i5 and 7970 and i would absolutely kill for 1080p GT5 just to have fixed shadows and better AA.

edit:

To think about it AC has same problem as Forza. It has features in engine, good textures, ton of poly but there isn't probably someone who would nail down how to do color correction and proper HDR.

Also it is not dick measuring contest. I play AC because of physic model not graphic.

To be fair i don't think my opinion actually matters (as i don't have actually GT6) but from what i saw in various gameplay vids GT6 looked a bit worse all around. Especially interior shadows became such ****** looking things compared to GT5 (which alone were not that great but at least quality was dependent on car itself.

Didn't buy GT6 due to framerate problems.
I can't believe after all the polygons added to every car ,something like that can be said about Gt6.
Even if i can't stop looking at that gif tho.

Yes, I remembered incorrectly. It was overcast SPA in GT5, like you show in that gif, that I was really impressed by. The lighting there is incredible, looks so real.

GT6 looks grainy as hell compared to AC. AC graphics arent the best but if you have all the settings on max its pretty good. Id have to take AC over GT6. It doesnt matter though because I play AC simply because it is the best sim available. The physics are amazing, makes GT feel like Need For Speed.. I do wish the car list was more like Gran Turismo though ;) R

IQ AC is way better, artistically GT is better, though i would like a mix of the 2 because there are some things that i like more in AC, accuracy of tracks AC is better, IMO.

I prefer AC though, it feels more natural to me, specially when using onboard view and watching replays, BUT, i modified several files, so my AC doesn't look like the stock one.

You can make AC look way better if you mod Weather, PP, Color curves, etc files. You can change pretty much everything. I stopped using Sweet FX because it modified the whole scene. Modding the game files allows to change individual aspects of the scene, like making the sky more blueish and brighter and the sun brighter without washing the colors, making fog brighter and blueish instead of current greenish. You can mod the god rays, glare, and a lot of stuff.

IQ AC is way better, artistically GT is better, though i would like a mix of the 2 because there are some things that i like more in AC, accuracy of tracks AC is better, IMO.

I prefer AC though, it feels more natural to me, specially when using onboard view and watching replays, BUT, i modified several files, so my AC doesn't look like the stock one.

You can make AC look way better if you mod Weather, PP, Color curves, etc files. You can change pretty much everything. I stopped using Sweet FX because it modified the whole scene. Modding the game files allows to change individual aspects of the scene, like making the sky more blueish and brighter and the sun brighter without washing the colors, making fog brighter and blueish instead of current greenish. You can mod the god rays, glare, and a lot of stuff.
For someone like myself who is green to modifying games, do you know of any tutorial vids for AC? Just thought I'd ask just in case.

For someone like myself who is green to modifying games, do you know of any tutorial vids for AC? Just thought I'd ask just in case.

No, but AC files (The ones i modded)are .ini, that means you can edit and save then easily like a text document. What i recommend doing is making a backup of the entire "system" folder (it's like 1.29mb anyway) so if you screw up you can restore them easily. The files i modded are in \Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg, they are "colorCurves.ini", "ppeffects.ini" and "weather1.ini". It takes a while to know what you are doing but once you are familiar with how it works it's easy IMO.

PS: If you don't know what something does, use some extreme values, it's easier to see that something makes the sky extremely blue than slightly blue for example.

Last edited:
Post processing has something like 6 settings now. Some are very over-contrasty, but some are very nice. Just grab the UI app for post-processing and click through the options to compare.

Personally I am still amazed by GT5/6 lighting every time I start the game. PC sims are higher resolution, can be set to much more AA/AF, look much crisper, but nobody quite gets the lighting as good as Gran Turismo even now (although pCARS has moments where it gets close). I can only imagine how awesome GT7 will look.....

There is no overcast in AC, so I just can't understand what are we comparing here?

It's not only about overcast. Spa overcast is just simple way to recreate GT at its best moment without looking for that amazing moment.

GT problem is only its resolution aa and af (and sometimes lod and ugly textures). You can go into pretty much any photomode thread and see absolute mindblowing pictures of cars from photomode en masse which point how awesome lighting engine is.

But it is good that AC dudes target GT look. It is obvious from looking especially at their car shaders that they try to recreate what GT does with its lighting engine. They are simply not yet at that point.

I hope they will improve it as they don't have much work left to do. Fixing their HDR would be massive improvement.

A little example of what modding some files can do:

Silverstone 1:30pm

standard AC GFX:
View attachment 247005

Modded AC GFX:
View attachment 247006

That looks great. As i said AC needs just little touches and few engine tweaks and it will shine as hell.

Back