Not impressed with graphics... I am now

I think the graphics are pretty good overall. It has some aliasing issues especially on the guard rails next to the track, but I went into Nvidia Inspector and set 4X sparse grid supersampling which along with the in-game 4X anti-aliasing cleans it up pretty well. The cars, track surface and trees look fantastic, it's just the buildings at trackside that are lacking much surface detail and look a bit cartoonish.

Replays only look okay for me because my GTX 760, even outputting at 720p, is pushed to 100% GPU usage during replays which makes them look a bit funky. But racing only takes about 75% GPU usage so that looks and runs great. I can probably turn down a few setting a bit and maybe get the replays straightened out.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the PC race sims truly shine unless you're playing them in stereo 3D. Assetto Corsa looks amazing in 3D Vision.

And I forget how great dashboards look in 3D until I fire it up again. That tach dial on the Ferrari 312T is real I tell you.

Can't wait till the Oculus DK2 kit ships. I couldn't stomach downgrading from 1080p 3D Vision for DK1, but I'll put up with some screen door for DK2.

Stating that some how someone prefer GT6 graphic over AC is already borderline trolling, but hey! it is a free forum everyone is entitled to his opinion, even if they are blind,:lol: but stating that GT6 graphic is better than AC graphic, that is just hilarious, trying to prove it watching videos on You tube that is something else.
Can AC graphic be better, sure and they will.
Adding someone else to the list.:mischievous:

Stating that some how someone prefer GT6 graphic over AC is already borderline trolling, but hey! it is a free forum everyone is entitled to his opinion, even if they are blind,:lol: but stating that GT6 graphic is better than AC graphic, that is just hilarious, trying to prove it watching videos on You tube that is something else.

People are used to the GT's lighting model (which is excellent) and focus on that rather than the overall image quality I think.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I think the graphics in AC are great. Have you played iRacing, I lol'd when I saw those graphics in the demo.

Jerome

I Have been playing on gt6 since launch and have had a dabble on AC. In replays, gt6 has the edge, but it always has done. The replay engine in GT games has always been out of this world.
I find that the in game footage is too cartoony. AC may look bland in comparison, but looks more real. To my eyes.

This may be down to the fact that the immersion level is considerably higher than any other driving game I have spent time in. I own an old BMW 318, and have driven an e30 m3. The in game group a e30 feels exactly how I would expect it to. I would love a full on WRS on AC. (Although I am really slow in AC.)

Teamsreth(Although I am really slow in AC.)

Yeah, I finally beat the Mugello Special Event with the BMW on Alien. Those AI 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 braking on straight/blocking/looking more like a demolition derby trying to get to the first turn and restart. Once you get through turn one and catch second by Savelli its not so bad.[/quote]

Quick question to people with more tech knowledge regarding AC. Is AC more GPU intensive or CPU? I'm gonna upgrade my GPU soon when maxwell comes, but I might also upgrade my CPU soon if I have to.

With a track full of 25 cars it is CPU intensive. It's still poorly optimized and we could do with txaa as I still can see jaggies.

I will do some tests to confirm if you like?

I would say it's a good balance of demand between both the GPU and CPU.

I have an i7 920 which was running at 3.2Ghz, and a HD7850 which was clocked at 1100core/5400memory, but was struggling with framerate and CPU overload with more than 18 cars. I've cranked the CPU up to 3.8Ghz and the GPU core to 1175Mhz, and that seems to have helped a lot. The framerate has only slightly increased in the same situations but I don't get stutter anymore, even with all 24 cars bunched up. The CPU is touching the low 80's celsius in the most intense situations though, but it's an i7 so it'll be fine. My GPU is still only hitting 58C despite being very overclocked, but it begins to crash if I push it further even with more voltage.

I'm going to invest in another HD7850 for locked 1080/60, all settings as high as possible with a full grid if the final product's optimization doesn't do much on my single card alone. There's an online shop selling them for £87 at the moment so their an absolute bargain for your buck, especially for their amazing overclocking abilities. You can wring 7870 performance out of some of them.

Last edited:
I'm going to invest in another HD7850 for locked 1080/60, all settings as high as possible with a full grid if the final product's optimization doesn't do much on my single card alone. There's an online shop selling them for £87 at the moment so their an absolute bargain for your buck, especially for their amazing overclocking abilities. You can wring 7870 performance out of some of them.

I've got 2 sapphire hd7850 2g oc in xfire, but until AMD provide updated drivers for AC optimization in xfire, the second card is only good for bf4 and f12013. I get more performance oc'ing the one card then I do with both in xfire playing AC. And I got an FX8350 oc'd to 4.35Ghz so the stuttering and frame craziness in xfire is not the cpu.

Some guys on the AC forums are able to run xfire, but for some reason I enjoy it better with it disabled. I keep everything on med settings, no blur and HDR enable and still get 90-120 fps alone. 60-75fps with 10 to 16 ontrack. Still ok.

Btw: how did you get the GPU to oc to over 1100mhz? Still a relative OC newbie, but interested in pushing the limit. Afterall I've got another card.....:D;)

I've got 2 sapphire hd7850 2g oc in xfire, but until AMD provide updated drivers for AC optimization in xfire, the second card is only good for bf4 and f12013. I get more performance oc'ing the one card.....

Btw: how did you get the GPU to oc to over 1100mhz?

Thanks for the heads up on Xfire, I've heard it can work wonders on some games and have virtually no benefits on others, I was hoping and assuming AC would be one of the games to at least get some decent benefits.

As for passing the factory overclock limits, ignore anything to do with AMD/Catalyst and use Asus GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner, both programs have tick boxes in their options menu to allow extended overclocking limits and both have detailed monitoring graphs for temps, clocks, loads, voltages and so on.

As always with overclocking, start with small increases to core and memory speeds (though TBH I started straight at 1100/5300 after reading about these cards). Run the Heaven 3.0 benchmark stress test to see if your graphics card is stable. If it crashes, either reduce clocks a little or increase the voltage and see how the card handles it, as long as your temperatures are good, see what you can get without crashing.

These cards are safe up to and over 95c, but I would try and keep it down to <80c for the sake of it's lifespan. Mine doesn't run over 60c despite the 37% overclock, but the memory is holding it back, it crashes with a large overclock even with increased volts and power useage and still running cool. I'm going to have to test further one day soon as the cores seem like they could hit way into the 1200MHZ bracket for me. There's people on Overclockers.co.uk hitting close to 1400MHZ, a near 60% overclock.

Good luck with your overclocking but don't kill your card. Just to remember that not all cards will overclock the same, it's somewhat of a lottery 👍

I think the graphics are just fine... just need a bit of Sparse Grid Supersampling to get the best out of them. This is with a single GTX Titan and 3930K.

EUCx5UN.jpg

vGTMbjg.jpg

GQ1sYFV.jpg

try this :-)

In-game settings:

1- Turn off HDR and Motion Blur (both options are causing that blurry aspect);
2- Set Anisostropic Filtering to 2x (it's VERY resource intensive on this game, don't know why);
3- Set Shadows to High and AA to 4x; (if you have problems with FPS go with 2x)
4- Turn off Vertical Sync (use NVIDIA Inspector's one instead);
5- Turn off "Lock Onboard Camera to Horizon";
6- Set Cubemap Resolution to Low (very resource intensive) and Faces per Frame to 6 (for real-time car reflections);

NVIDIA Inspector:

1- Create a profile for Assetto Corsa (add both acs.exe and acShowroom.exe);
2- Set AA Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (say goodbye to jaggies and ugly shadows);
3- Set Vertical Sync Tear Control to Adaptive or On (optional).

Last edited:
As posted before, I run an overclocked first gen Intel i7 and overclocked HD7850, my RAM and motherboard is also overclocked. Everything in my PC is 5 years old now bar the graphics card, which is 3 years old, and even then it was only mid-range.

In game, with 24 cars on track, I get a locked 60fps at 1080p, minus 2-4 frames getting dropped when things get crazy. The same scene in the replay with a wide panaramic view will still hold above 50fps.

The settings I use are:

1920x1080@60
Vsync: Off
Frame rate capped at 60
Antiscopic Filtering: 4x
MSAA: 2x
FXAA:x 6x
Shadow resolution: Medium
Color Saturation: 88
World Detail: Medium
Motion Blur: Off
Smoke Generation: Medium
Smoke in Mirrors: Off
Disable HDR: left unticked
Lock on board to horizon: unticked
Mirror Resolution: Normal
High Quality Mirror Reflection: Off
Cubemap Resolution: Medium
Face Per Frame: 6

I can run the game everything set to high if I limit it to 30fps, but I prefer the faster framerate and there really isn't a lot of difference in the appearance. Only thing that bothers me is that Anisotropic Filtering is so unoptimized at the moment, don't like to run it under 16x but it lowers the framerate below an acceptable level.

The game F1 2013 has a warm camera filter option when you race the classic F1 cars, I like applying the same look when running against the older F1 cars in AC. Game looks good enough for me, I would like the in helmet cam that Pcars has though, that looks amazing.

e5867e49-cb8c-4fae-9da8-cbce10407fcb_zpsb4df1148.png

Last edited:
People should post real time driving views, not replays and filters.

Since its still beta I hope for performance improvements and bugs to be sorted so I'm not too bothered. Outside car models though, the graphics are pretty poor for what requires to run them. Max settings looks rough with poor frame rates. Supersample needs very high end graphics cards, it's a laggy forced override good for only bullshots, not a driving sim option.

The environments/track seem like quick textured mock ups. I hope it isn't near final. Copy pasting high res textures isn't good design and usually look bad unless you look directly overhead in some one off replay bullshot.

People should post real time driving views, not replays and filters.

Since its still beta I hope for performance improvements and bugs to be sorted so I'm not too bothered. Outside car models though, the graphics are pretty poor for what requires to run them....

The graphics are the same whether you are in a replay or racing in real time, are they not? The only difference with enabling the photo mode is you can choose where the camera is and mess with the depth of field, it doesn't add any fancy effects or filters, but you can do that on the fly with another program if you want to. SweetFX mods will do the same sort of thing.

Yes, details are missing or could be better, but like you say, not only is this still in development, but the team making this is tiny, and so is their budget. Kunos started off as just one person, before it became a few people. Other games out there have hundreds of people and computers working on them, with millions of dollars to throw at it, and in cases like Forza, despite having a huge development team already, also outsource a lot of the work so there is even less for each individual to do.

While I understand your concern about an unfinished project, it sounds like you're expecting the Kunos team to do the work of 20-50 people each.

The graphics are the same whether you are in a replay or racing in real time, are they not? The only difference with enabling the photo mode is you can choose where the camera is and mess with the depth of field, it doesn't add any fancy effects or filters, but you can do that on the fly with another program if you want to. SweetFX mods will do the same sort of thing.

Yes, details are missing or could be better, but like you say, not only is this still in development, but the team making this is tiny, and so is their budget. Kunos started off as just one person, before it became a few people. Other games out there have hundreds of people and computers working on them, with millions of dollars to throw at it, and in cases like Forza, despite having a huge development team already, also outsource a lot of the work so there is even less for each individual to do.

While I understand your concern about an unfinished project, it sounds like you're expecting the Kunos team to do the work of 20-50 people each.

Knew this would happen.

If you read page 2 you'll see I'm well aware what Kunos is, I own Netkar, know its a small team and have explained this to people already who expect something better on PC.

The main gripe for some is how AC looks when driving or the environments. Not that replay enhance anything, no one ever said that. Posting pics of cars gives a false impression, the cars look good but no way will you ever play a game in this view. Plus I already have said the cars look good so again these type of pics won't prove to me otherwise.
EUCx5UN.jpg

Have you checked the photo thread?

This is one of my pics in there.
13024232735_edbabb7f52_b.jpg

This is graphically impressive to me but it no way represents what the game looks like when playing whether this is in game or not. This is a major improvement over netkar and I as a long fan of Kunos can appreciate it.

My point is not the graphics, its the frame rate. You've got the wrong end of the stick.

I play LFS and many other games. They're all poor graphically, its what PC sims have been about in case you're new to sim racing. I have no problem with small dev teams and low graphics. What all these pc sim titles over the years have shared is they're easy to run.

GTX 780ti, super sample is a joke to the average sim player. The average iracing rfactor lfs netkar player doesn't care for these images. it's how it performs when driving, the image quality, jaggies, shimering and things like anisotropic filtering.

AC has a deferred render, its resource heavy and very hard to get a clean image without chucking a ton of hardware at it. Supersample on already demanding games is suicide except for bullshots and no way a solution for pc sim players. Please search what supersample does if you don't know. This render type gives better lighting but if Kunos can't utilize it outside some car models I wonder if its best to actually use it. There's been many good looking games that don't use it.

At the moment the cars look great from these angles but have no bearing when playing.

To claify I know its beta, I've already said about optimzations on page two amonst many other things that can improve the situation.

If they can add more as time goes on and are shooting for a graphically good all round game then fine. I have no probs with a decent looking game requiring some high end hardware, a clear direction. If it looks no better or not much better than every sim in the last decade when driving I question the need for such hardware/direction. I expect Kunos to do a decent job over time as I said on page two at the end, we'll have to see what this small team can do outside of the cars. What I see so far isn't good, I hope they can improve for their own sakes. Some are coming into AC new, they see some nice car shots, some licenses or see a youtube video, download the game, only to find out it looks very basic, like an old pc sim title they have no interest in, below what they see on 8 year old consoles. netkar players can't get a good image or 60fps without a second mortgage so nobody wins.

Just to add, I have no strong feeling over AC graphics despite a longish post, I'm not demanding this or that, my initial clear post was short but unsurprisingly quoted. If you play LFS or netkar you'll know just having one Ferrari is mind blowing enough. I'm very happy with AC.

These images people reply mean nothing to my point. Nor does chuck some super sample on it, "erm yeah I would if I had a 780ti"

We haven't even got into triple screens yet. 1080p is 780ti worthy right now.

Also with Oculus support, we might need 85hz or even 120hz if you hear what oculus say. Image quality is paramount, so is frame rate. It can't be a shimmering jagg fest but looks pretty in ideal screenshots in free cam or you need 2 titan z to run it at 85 fps with a clean image.

Last edited:
I recommend turning HDR off for people who haven't already. It makes a massive difference to frame rates and allows you to set other settings much higher. Beforehand with the same settings I was getting 35fps, afterwards 125fps and there is minimal difference with the graphics apart from the fact you cannot add motion blur and customize your color saturation.

Last edited:
Firstly, I do really like the game love the... Ect ect

Sorry to focus on the negative but the graphics are not that great, there are people who don't care but I wouldn't have spent £400 on a GPU and £250 on a processor if I didn't care, I am aware that i sound as though I'm bragging and I will again now, I have a very good knowledge of PC hardware (have to for my job) the only reason I say that is because I'd rather not reveal what I have to inevitably I'll get involved with someone who tells me my card is 🤬, it's not my hardware you will have to take my word for it.

The reason I felt the need to start this thread is because I have seen people purring over the visuals and some that also think there pretty poor.

I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong for me I think it's because when the cars are sat on the road, they don't quite look like there on the road@:( it's hard to explain, also when the AI exhaust spits flames out there not random length of time so all the cars in the grid look fake instantly, I find it much more difficult spotting my braking points as I tend to focus on the turn and judge the distance( this is probably a terrible way to do it) but I can often not see the bend my mind is specifically focussing on Monza first corner find it easy to see the curb on GT6 but not on AC. I am now using a marker on the left but u just feel in this day and age I should be able to make out them small details (yes resolution is 1080) sorry for all the disclaimers but I want to avoid the stupid questions.

I will reiterate I love what there doing, I'm not a troll but for me GT6 graphically is far superior and real looking and I can't quite believe that, it's not just AC, it owns anything else a PC has to offer racing wise. But why? And will it improve? I really hope so because a realistic looking game offers me much more immersion.

Edit. Please don't offer me hardware advice I know what this game looks like on Nvidia GPU's my brother also has it, he has a Nvidia Graphics card (GTX 770) and an i5 3770k so please please don't go on about hardware I have now given out my spec's in another post if you really must know, but it's BESIDES THE POINT!

You need new glasses or preferably a pair of new eyes !

AC looks absolutely fantastic in it's current beta stage !

Perhaps you haven't been out in the real world in a very long time !

Last edited:
I just downloaded the latest update last night and tried out the GT3 Z4 @ Vallelunga and it was un-drivable. The track was indistinguishable from the track side due to it being so bright. There was virtually zero contrast. I am not sure if this is a result of the latest update or not but I don't remember having this issue when I last ran a track which was a few weeks ago. I also tried the Nurb and Monza and although not as bad was still a problem.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have changed my mind after playing this a lot and of course with the updates, I think it's much better. I notice the cars look more planted now and they have removed some of the nasty effects and improved some too, including the sky and pp effects. I have now parted with my PS3 and GT6, it's a sad day for me but I just can't enjoy it the same after playing Assetto. My next major winge will be about multiplayer noobs (I know that hasn't been done before) and I know I'll get more support there ;-)

I have the first gen Kelper Nvidia GTX460 1GB, and it still churns like butter on high settings at any game I decide to play, notably AC. (gtx560, 660, 760, soon to be 960, are all the same, lol) The graphics are just fine imo, I have a 4 year old hex-core AMD with now 32GB of system 1866MHz ram , and SSD drive to store windows , steam, and some top games. I think my next computer upgrade will be when molecular quantum processors hit the market , hopefully by 2020, creating a landfill the size of planet Jupiter to house our existing electronic devices .

well, maybe a GTX980, to save some energy.

the graphics on AC are beautiful, I have everything on default settings, and in cockpit view is MILES ahead of what GT6 is doing. the sounds... of AC, make me forget about graphics altogether. but AC needs lots of cleanup, I agree, the curbs are a tad hard to see, and maybe I need to tinker with various settings such as fov, and figure out how to change placement of various hud settings, for instance the bar showing lap and split times at the bottom, it's always obstructed by some other bar. how do we also show the map on the screen? still a very worthy competitor to the sim market.

Project cars must have seen the awesomeness of AC, and said, whoops! back to the drawing board,

I have the first gen Kelper Nvidia GTX460 1GB, and it still churns like butter on high settings at any game I decide to play, notably AC. (gtx560, 660, 760, soon to be 960, are all the same, lol)

I think you mean Fermi? Kepler came with 600 series. But if you're happy with it, thats good.
Not really sure what you mean the x60s are all the same? I recently went from 560 to 760 and its pretty damn far from same. :D

To be fair i have only GT5 but AC doesn't have better graphic overall. Lighting engine needs more work, tracks themselves like Spa look worse and there is whole day/night transition which is waaaaay better than in AC (if we assume hour in AC to hour in GT difference as AC doesn't have night racing). And there is overcast weather that makes everything look "real". There are also shaders. Those are definitely better in GT. Sure from polygon side of things cars in game are worse but it is shaders that makes them look much better than their polygon count. Also GT5 supports 32FP hdr (only few games like Crysis 2-3 support it) in game and this is mainly reason why blacks aren't crushed even in high sun.

AC is good looking game at has boon of IQ thanks to PC but it still needs waaay more work to beat GT5 in therms of graphic.

Considering how much they did in 1.0 it is safe to assume this won't be long. Though shaders problem isn't easy to deal with just with few changes in script.

To be fair i have only GT5 but AC doesn't have better graphic overall. Lighting engine needs more work, tracks themselves like Spa look worse and there is whole day/night transition which is waaaaay better than in AC (if we assume hour in AC to hour in GT difference as AC doesn't have night racing). And there is overcast weather that makes everything look "real". There are also shaders. Those are definitely better in GT. Sure from polygon side of things cars in game are worse but it is shaders that makes them look much better than their polygon count. Also GT5 supports 32FP hdr (only few games like Crysis 2-3 support it) in game and this is mainly reason why blacks aren't crushed even in high sun.

AC is good looking game at has boon of IQ thanks to PC but it still needs waaay more work to beat GT5 in therms of graphic.

Considering how much they did in 1.0 it is safe to assume this won't be long. Though shaders problem isn't easy to deal with just with few changes in script.

I've never read so much crap, did you really just say GT5 has better graphics...................REALLY

Back