Not impressed with graphics... I am now

again laughing at me on here does little to my feelings, but obviously a small criticism of an otherwise fantastic game has your back up.

I don't care either way to be honest with you. I'm killing time on a slow day at work. And GT6 plays like crap with the framerate choppiness and the physics are garbage (Big accomplishment). I don't agree with GT6 looking better, but if that's what you believe so be it. Even if it did in some stretch of imagination i'd take the quality driving over looks any day. I'd be happy driving black boxes on wheels if the physics were the best ever. Everyone is different and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

With that said i will leave this thread so you can figure out why GT looks better and whether or not it will change in version 1.0

So what was the real point of making this thread then? Just to say you don't like the graphics? HUMAN BEINGS!

If so great. Thought maybe you actually were trying to acclomplish something.
yes, my reaction was this could be better, I would like to know if there are any updates planned for graphical improvements, also GT6 gets a massive hammering in the AC forum and for it's flaws it still doe's many things fantastically well. but mostly im just surprised, and more surprised that I have upset people with my opinion.

Nope, I read your post and made a simple recommendation. You are the first person to bring up this issue that I have seen. But as usual, after reading some other posts on your thread, the issue is now being derailed to something else when some people are trying to help.
I didn't ask for help.

I'm outta here this thread will probably close, sorry for the people I have offended that was not my intention, I think AC is an unbelievable achievement technically brilliant. Clearly people don't agree with me on the graphics.

I think it's weird that even though graphics have come such a long way even in the last 5 years that people complain about them not being good enough, and it ruining the immersion.

Can't we all just be grateful that the game feels amazing and is still a giant leap forward in the sim racing genre even if you have a problem with the graphics that you can't even put a finger on what it is?

My current PC is only good enough to play rFactor on low settings, but I still feel plenty immersed.

I think AC looks brilliant, by the way.

I think it's weird that even though graphics have come such a long way even in the last 5 years that people complain about them not being good enough, and it ruining the immersion.

Can't we all just be grateful that the game feels amazing and is still a giant leap forward in the sim racing genre even if you have a problem with the graphics that you can't even put a finger on what it is?

My current PC is only good enough to play rFactor on low settings, but I still feel plenty immersed.

I think AC looks brilliant, by the way.

I agree at least we are not playing

I personally think AC looks better than GT6.
I am running a GTX260 and a Q6600, so my rig is almost as old as the PS3 is. If my PC can run it, I doubt that many could say their hardware is the cause of AC looking worse than GT.
I always play GT in bumper cam, but I have been playing AC in cockpit view, perhaps that says something about the comparative detail and realism of the roads vs cockpit of the two game.
GT seems to have more contrast and detail on the roads, but I think that the higher detail and resolution in the scenery of AC makes it look more convincing.

IMO I think AC's realistic look is way better than Project cars. The only downside with AC graphics is the 60k poly count (limitation maybe?) on cars thats why it's not as good as GT6 or Pcar model. But the lighting is pretty good, almost as good as GT6, minus the jaggies. :D

I'm outta here this thread will probably close, sorry for the people I have offended that was not my intention, I think AC is an unbelievable achievement technically brilliant. Clearly people don't agree with me on the graphics.
Stay; as I had the same thoughts from the videos i've seen of AC so far. The details are crisp yes indeed, but the color palette and contrast they use make the environments look a bit monotone and dull at times.

I don't find the graphics mind blowing as pCars, maybe because of the PhysX effects. I just find pCars environment (based on the videos I've watched) more dynamic with a richer colour palette. But then these games are both early access so we don't know if there is more to come from AC.

I wasnt going to post here because I really dont get why the graphics doesnt look that good on your rig. You should be getting stunning graphics on that system. Maybe its your card?

I do know that Nvidia have been working with Kunos to optimize the graphics but why there would be such a significant drop in graphics on an AMD card baffles me really.

Assetto really has paved the way and are going to be setting new standards for a racing sim. GT6 needs alot of work for it to be a full game and you say the graphics are better but that is not true for me. GT6 has bad frame rate in a full lobby and isnt smooth, you can see the jaggies.

My system is an AMD 8350 with a GTX 770 and has 16GB 1600mhz RAM, the graphics are alot better than GT6.

I wasnt going to post here because I really dont get why the graphics doesnt look that good on your rig. You should be getting stunning graphics on that system. Maybe its your card?

I do know that Nvidia have been working with Kunos to optimize the graphics but why there would be such a significant drop in graphics on an AMD card baffles me really.

Assetto really has paved the way and are going to be setting new standards for a racing sim. GT6 needs alot of work for it to be a full game and you say the graphics are better but that is not true for me. GT6 has bad frame rate in a full lobby and isnt smooth, you can see the jaggies.

My system is an AMD 8350 with a GTX 770 and has 16GB 1600mhz RAM, the graphics are alot better than GT6.

OP did say his brother has a GTX 770 which he's seen.

and there is way more power in a modern gaming PC.

You should take a look at Netkar if you already haven't to see where Assetto Corsa has come from. NK is a very bland crude looking game that was all about driving feel made by a handful of guys on PD's coffee budget for one day. This time around they've done wonders with the car models/reflections compared to netkar and the tracks have better textures. For the Netkar player its leaps and bounds better. The mere fact it has some big licenses is mind warping enough.

There's no switch or option you use for better graphics, having the power means nothing if time, money, direction or talent available don't allow.

We'll just have to wait and see what these guys can do down the road to tidy the game up outside the car models.

OP did say his brother has a GTX 770 which he's seen.

Yes he did, but he didnt mention which looks better. People have been saying that games look better on the newer Nvidia cards than they do with the AMD ones.

That and the fact that Kunos and Nvidia are working together are more reason why it could be looking better on the Nvidia chipset.

*EDIT*

I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong for me I think it's because when the cars are sat on the road, they don't quite look like there on the road@:(

I wonder if this has something to do with Nvidia's PhysicX?

Last edited:
I might have to go with an Nvidia system for my next pc build, but waiting to see. What comes out next gen cards! Not too impressed with current cards and ATI are the basic same card just more oc and cooling.

My brothers looked the same as mine, again I'm not saying it's bad. It's personally for me not staggering but what I have seen here is that many of you are happy with it, also I have learned that people love to give hardware advice so thanks for all your tips;) I feel satisfied after reading the following post because this sums it up.

OP

There's no switch or option you use for better graphics, having the power means nothing if time, money, direction or talent available don't allow.

We'll just have to wait and see what these guys can do down the road to tidy the game up outside the car models.

Thank you for this response it's exactly the post I would like to read when starting this thread, you are right and I'm happy to play it regardless perhaps the graphics will be tuned perhaps it's the same regardless it's a quality product.

Thank you also for getting the point. It wasn't ever about hardware I wouldn't have said a thing if I thought it looked better elsewhere.

Last edited:
... I find it much more difficult spotting my braking points as I tend to focus on the turn and judge the distance( this is probably a terrible way to do it) but I can often not see the bend my mind is specifically focussing on Monza first corner find it easy to see the curb on GT6 but not on AC....

I remember when I first jumped from GT5 to Assetto Corsa, I felt a little strange about the graphics, didn't liked them (well, physics are from another planet...). Although everything was so crispy something was wrong, or maybe I would say better, "different".
I think (not sure), for some reason, in GT5 I feel better the depth of field. I had a big difficulty, first time, to understand where turns begin in AC tracks. I still have an issue, but not any more a big problem as now I have a better knowledge of the tracks!
I haven't played again GT5 since tried Assetto (physics looks so boring compared to AC) until the Nurb GT update come. I started once again GT5, to compare the track to the AC's and I just realized that after getting used to the AC's graphics GT5 wasn't "shining" any more. In fact looks blurry and poor.
One thing I need to state is that "seeing the turn coming" is still better accomplished in GT5. Some things I have noticed, doing the comparison, is that the white stripe that is located at the edge of the tarmac in GT5, is wider and more intense and the tarmac (asphalt) looks darker in GT, at the most places, helping in that way for a better contrast.
Here is two interesting video comparison betwin AC, GT(5/6) and Reality, made by DigiProst

What is my point: I do agreed that AC that looks closer to the "real thing" but considering that a sim racer is much more limited (in terms of being informed from the racing environment) compared to a real racer who uses all his senses, tracks in simracing should be more tailored in such a manner to compensate for the poor information they are giving when triyng to simulate all this in a 2D monitor.

I never tried a racing title in 3D and I do hope Oculus Rift will ad something good immersion to the simracing experience!

(sorry for my bad English, I hope I was understood)

PS. Sky do need some more work in AC

Last edited:
I think you're on to something, @Mars Attacks. I also had to adjust somewhat when coming from GT6 regarding braking before a turn. I do think that some of that can be related to the view height on the bumper cam. On some cars it's lower - closer to the ground - than in GT6. This makes it more difficult to judge the speed when coming to a turn and also gives less "overview" of the road. It's also related to the FOV - which I find myself messing around with and not being able to get it "just right".

I believe in general that they should give more options when it comes to the camera placement in AC. For example, the bonnet view seems to be exactly the same as view as the bumper view (or 1st person view). The only difference is that they "slap in" the bonnet on the screen. In cars that have a short bonnet - like the Zonda - this isn't a problem, because you still get a good "speed feeling" or sense of speed. But with the Z4 for instance you lose all sense of speed because the bonnet takes up a large portion of the screen and you don't see the asphalt rushing by when it's close to your viewpoint. This forced me to drive with 1st person (bumper) view, but the camera is a little low. I hope they make it a bit adjustable.

Back on topic: I think the graphics in AC are great. Sure, the lighting in GT6 is in a class of it's own, and in some cases the lighting and contrast in AC might seem a little flat/bland, but honestly, in real life the lighting can be somewhat "flat" as well, depending on sun, cloud and general visibility/atmospherical conditions. Reality doesn't always look as good as in GT6, is my point. :)

Yesterday, when I for the first time took the Z4 GT3 out on Nurburgring I honestly didn't even notice the graphics - or maybe just subconsciously.
I mean, running that car around that track I cannot remember ever having so much fun in any racing sim, ever. It was just incredible!
For me the graphics are "good enough", and the physics and ffb just unbelieveable.

Btw, I run two GTX 670s in SLI, and use a T500 wheel.
Btw2, I still play GT6. The ffb there is great as well, and there is Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Spa, Le Mans and Laguna Seca. :)

I think you're on to something, @Mars Attacks. I also had to adjust somewhat when coming from GT6 regarding braking before a turn. I do think that some of that can be related to the view height on the bumper cam. On some cars it's lower - closer to the ground - than in GT6. This makes it more difficult to judge the speed when coming to a turn and also gives less "overview" of the road. It's also related to the FOV - which I find myself messing around with and not being able to get it "just right".

I believe in general that they should give more options when it comes to the camera placement in AC. For example, the bonnet view seems to be exactly the same as view as the bumper view (or 1st person view). The only difference is that they "slap in" the bonnet on the screen. In cars that have a short bonnet - like the Zonda - this isn't a problem, because you still get a good "speed feeling" or sense of speed. But with the Z4 for instance you lose all sense of speed because the bonnet takes up a large portion of the screen and you don't see the asphalt rushing by when it's close to your viewpoint. This forced me to drive with 1st person (bumper) view, but the camera is a little low. I hope they make it a bit adjustable.

Back on topic: I think the graphics in AC are great. Sure, the lighting in GT6 is in a class of it's own, and in some cases the lighting and contrast in AC might seem a little flat/bland, but honestly, in real life the lighting can be somewhat "flat" as well, depending on sun, cloud and general visibility/atmospherical conditions. Reality doesn't always look as good as in GT6, is my point. :)

Yesterday, when I for the first time took the Z4 GT3 out on Nurburgring I honestly didn't even notice the graphics - or maybe just subconsciously.
I mean, running that car around that track I cannot remember ever having so much fun in any racing sim, ever. It was just incredible!
For me the graphics are "good enough", and the physics and ffb just unbelieveable.

Btw, I run two GTX 670s in SLI, and use a T500 wheel.
Btw2, I still play GT6. The ffb there is great as well, and there is Bathurst, Brands Hatch, Spa, Le Mans and Laguna Seca. :)

Completely agree, the bumper cam is too low I too am really hoping there will be an option to raise this.

Yes he did, but he didnt mention which looks better. People have been saying that games look better on the newer Nvidia cards than they do with the AMD ones.

That and the fact that Kunos and Nvidia are working together are more reason why it could be looking better on the Nvidia chipset.

*EDIT*

I wonder if this has something to do with Nvidia's PhysicX?

Fantomas666 has said it looks the same.

I follow PC hardware quite closely and this kind of talk is always there, AMD has better image quality, no nvidia does. Any real difference is normally about framerate/performance. The graphic differences are very rare and so small. Some sites like hardocp do comparisons.

If AC has any difference we could find (nitpick) I doubt it would change his opinion as its going to look the same overall.

In terms of FOV this would impact trying to see the corner. GT5 bumper cam is much more zoomed in at default but doesn't impact steering so posting on the AC forum would help getting to the problem. Normally when changing the FOV too much you will have a very hard time steering as small inputs will have a big impact on screen.

Since Kunos it trying to atract more players I think FOV is quite far away and seems only cockpit cam is easily adjustable.

I'll post some capture pics soon.

@Fantomas666
AC:
The higher resolution.
The higher resolution of textures.
The higher number of polygons that make a circle look like a circle and not like an octagon.
The higher level of detail and sharpness of the car and the world.
The higher antialias even on long distances.
The higher framerate.
The higher amount and refresh rate of reflections on the car.
The trees are not 2-sided.
And did you notice the little scratches on the windshield? They help your brain think that actually there is a windshield

One thing I hate is the point of view of the external camera: it's too much focused on the car rather than on the road ahead, this is better in GT. Hope they'll fix it.

One thing I hate is the point of view of the external camera: it's too much focused on the car rather than on the road ahead, this is better in GT. Hope they'll fix it.

I use the free view (F5), since it's fixed to the car and you can change the distance and angle to the car it looks similar to GT external camera.

I would like an option to save this info and create my own custom external views, and more options like fov, move the car lower in the screen etc, something similar to the interior view app but for exterior view.

I use the free view (F5), since it's fixed to the car and you can change the distance and angle to the car it looks similar to GT external camera.

I would like an option to save this info and create my own custom external views, and more options like fov, move the car lower in the screen etc, something similar to the interior view app but for exterior view.
Funny coincidence, I just posted on the AC forum suggesting something similar to this. Suggested a View Settings app instead of (or in addition to) the Onboard Settings app, for customization of outside views as well. :D

not sure if you guys know but when in (F5) camera mode you can move around freely by using ALT+W/A/S/D

^^So we can just place that free camera anywhere, even on the edge of the bonnet? Can it be saved or do we have to re-place it for every run?
What about sounds? Is there a way to get in-car sounds even if the camera is placed outside the car?
I think I'll have to do some tests on this myself.
Thanks for the tip! 👍

Edit: This is getting a bit off topic I guess. :)

^^So we can just place that free camera anywhere, even on the edge of the bonnet? Can it be saved or do we have to re-place it for every run?
What about sounds? Is there a way to get in-car sounds even if the camera is placed outside the car?
I think I'll have to do some tests on this myself.
Thanks for the tip! 👍

Edit: This is getting a bit off topic I guess. :)
It's OT, but useful knowledge.. someone passed on to me so I like to help.. sorry OP for going further off topic..

You can put the camera wherever you want, and I mean wherever, but can not be saved as far as I know.

As for your sounds question.... (copy pasted from AC FAQ's)

"I like to drive from hood/bonnet cam, but I'd like to hear interior sound. Is it possible?
At the moment, you can use a workaround.

When you are in the cockpit:

- open console (key "Home")
- write "set driverEye.z n" (without quotes, where n is a numeric value, i.e. 1. Pay attention, case sensitive!)
- press Enter

The point of view will move forward (if you put a positive number). Combine it with "set driverEye.x n" and "set driverEye.y n" to set the point of view according to your tastes."

you CAN save that camera via the onboard settings app.

Everything looks cleaner and sharper in Assetto Corsa due to the much higher resolution on everything, contrast is a bit washy for me as default but that can be changed in the options so is a non issue. GT6 definitely does look good in videos though, it's when it's all blown up on a full size screen that I notice all the flaws. To clarify, watching the video comparisons in a small youtube window I like GT6 more, playing either game on a full size monitor I prefer AC, AC in practice is in a different league.

GT6 would look better if it was rendering at 1080p without jaggies and with good FPS, GT6 as it would be on the PS4 would probably look better, but not as it looks on the PS3 with all the low res stuff and jaggies.

For some reason the replays look great in GT6, better than in any other game I have seen.
There's just something in the way the cars move on the surface. Looks really good.

I suppose the replay camera placement in AC could be better. But who knows, maybe there will be an app for replay cameras as well. :)

Back