Number of (new aka not seen before) cars slightly underwhelming?

• Thread starter snowgt
  • 118 comments
The thing is in GT5 car list vs FM3 car list is FM3 doesn't have 70 odd skylines and MX5's out the wahzoo.

While FM3 has 400+ which is less then half of GT5, when you take the repeats of the exact same car but with some stupid "factory upgrade" both games would have roughly the same amount of cars.

What I am trying to say is the FM3 carlist has a higher ratio of unique cars compared to GTPSP (which will likely be the same as the GT5 list) which just has too many copies.

So you're saying you're not unhappy that GT5 has 950, but that it has too many variations of the same car. But how can you be sure about it if we don't have the list of cars available? Basing on the psp version isn't fair, because it has 100 cars less.

It's true that GT4 had a lot of repeats, but it had some pretty amazing cars. I mean, it even has the Chaparral 2D! So it's not as if it has Skylines only. And now on GT5 we get to have most of the cars we always dreamed of (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti). We even have the Ferrari 2007, Nascar cars, and WRC cars, which as far as I know are not present in Forza or in any other game. So is that underwhelming? Just because we don't have Porsche and Maserati doesn't mean we should disregard Gran Turismo's amazing line-up of cars.

I dont get the hate over the GT4 cars. I dont get it at all.

NEWS FLASH

100+ new cars equals 25%+ of Forza 3's total car count

GT4 cars will be receiving a major overhaul for GT5

Lets look at some "stale' GT4 cars that will be amazing to drive with GT5 visuals, stunning cockpit views and proper physics

Saleen S7
Jaguar XJ220
Pagani Zonda C12
Mercedes SLR
Tommykaira ZZII

Not to mention the 20+ legendary lemans prototypes on GT4's car list. Or the large amount of JGTC cars. Or the GT1 cars. or the other touring cars. or the rally cars. etc etc and etc. Those should have been left out of GT5 as well as they are old and stale. I would never want to race those cars in stunning HD graphics with advanced physics.

For the first time GT will allow you to step inside these beasts which makes them feel good as new to me

787B_cockpit2.jpg

I don't see how it's underwhelming, if anything it is the opposite. First you have to figure that not all the cars from GT4 will make it(you can probably say this for GTPSP as well, although they may all be in). Plus there may be more than 950, which wouldn't be too far of a stretch. Not to mention the very likely addition of cars after the release via DLC.

One thing that is great about the GT series is that they don't focus on the mainstream cars the whole time like basically every other game does. What other game can you go from driving an old Fiat with 50hp to a Suzuki with close to 900hp.

I don't think 950 cars will be underwhelming, it will give you plenty of variety. Although I just hope they give us a garage big enough for all of them.

Over the last 4 years, what unique cars have come out that you think should be in the game??? I mean really, what kind of cars are you expecting? What NEW line of vehicles that was created over the last four years, is not already in the game?

A million? I can't possibly hope to name them all. There's a lot of great classics missing in GT too.

yeah, I was thinking that as soon as the psp list came out, and I saw that the new FIAT/Abarth 500 wasn't on it. It's been out for years, and it's not like there aren't FIATs in the game. so, where the heck are the new cars?
I'd really hoped I'd be able to start the game out with one of those.
Thats a fair point. There have been alot of new cars coming out in the last 5 years that should be in this game but will surely miss out for whatever reason. Just looking at hot hatches, there have been a couple versions each of the Twingo, Clio and Megane (you could easily make a case for 7+ new hot Renaults), but also Focus, Civics, Golfs, Scirocco, Panda 100HP, Swifts, Colts, Fiestas, Mazda 3, Fit, Polo etc.
That's just one segment, there have been many new cars from the Sagaris, SL65 Black, Zonda F to all the recent Super GT cars. With NASCAR, WRC and new manufacturers such as Ferrari, Lambo and Bugatti competing for space, the number of new road cars for GT4 manufacturers could be on the smallish side, and no bigger than GT3. Would be strange racing a hot hatch race with a majority of 10+ year old cars and only a sprinkle of cars that are from within the last 5 years.

This is just speculation, I have no idea what will be in the final game, but it is a possibility.

my take on variation would be only have the 2 top models of each car in the game...
ie Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR V Spec II

same for R33, R34, R35 etc and maybe one of the super limited different versions (ie R34 Z tune or R33 N400 spec cars) thats it.

suddenly 950 cars would have some sort of meaning not the 50 varients of sylvias, skylines,wrx etc

Ok, so I read the following bits of information over the last couple of days.

- ca. 950 cars in GT5 (don't crucify me on "more than...", that certainly doesn't mean "a lot more than")

- 830 cars in GT Mobile that we know of, with under a dozen new ones compared to GT4. The rest of the 100 cars more compared to GT4 are more variations of known cars.

- ca. 70 cars in GT5P. If you don't count the "/Tuned"-cars, because they are simply tuned base models, and the ones that are there in GT Mobile that makes about 60 unique to GT5P.

What does that tell us...? Assuming that you actually CAN transfer all your cars from GT Mobile to GT5 that means there'll be a whopping 60 or so new cars we haven't seen yet? Is it just me or is that slightly underwhelming?
Yup, you're totally right, 950 cars is too little, they have to have at least 2000 cars for me to be whelmed, 4000 if I'm to be impressed. 950 cars isn't slightly underwhelming, it's MASSIVELY disappointing.

DAMN PD, YOU LAZY!

The thing is in GT5 car list vs FM3 car list is FM3 doesn't have 70 odd skylines and MX5's out the wahzoo.

While FM3 has 400+ which is less then half of GT5, when you take the repeats of the exact same car but with some stupid "factory upgrade" both games would have roughly the same amount of cars.

What I am trying to say is the FM3 carlist has a higher ratio of unique cars compared to GTPSP (which will likely be the same as the GT5 list) which just has too many copies.
Yes, you're totally right, there are 70 variations of GTR in GT4, 120 variations of the sylvia, and 270 variations of the mazda RX-7.

Last edited:
The number of cars in not underwhelming, BUT there are hardly any new cars, just cars from GT4...

What about all the new BMWs, 6 series, new 3 series sedan and coupe, new Mercedes bens like the blacks and new SL, SLK and CLK, and new E, C... Then we go on to audi... where is the new RS4 new RS6, R8 V10, S5, S4, S6 all these new cars...

im not going to go on but there they could add about 300 new cars to replace the older versions... We've still got the old CLK from like 6 years ago, no new one...

And i could add hundreds more for Japanese cars which they havent added in but are worthy.

Basically nearly all the cars are old and havent been updated in ages...

Still I cant wait to drive the new cars they have put in.

GT4 was had 1990s honda civics in,will GT5 have all the 2000s models? even the crap ones (GT4 had some crap old civics in)

How about the new european fords? (Obviously we'll get the focus ST and maybe the new RS) but i'd like the latest fiesta,mondeo

Then there are things like all the VXR vauxhalls including the VXR8

Nope, GT4 had a lot more than 400 unique cars and GT PSP has more cars than GT4 and GT5 has more than GT PSP.

And there wasn't 70 odd Skylines. The figure was high, in the 50's I think, but there was fair few different Skyline ranges in that list. They wern't all different versions of the R32, R33 and R34 road cars, there were a few classic Skylines like that old 320,000Cr Skyline Sport Coupe, the newer non-GT-R Skylines (also badged as Infinti) , the GT-R concept and the GT-R silhouette GT cars.

The number of cars in not underwhelming, BUT there are hardly any new cars, just cars from GT4...

What about all the new BMWs, 6 series, new 3 series sedan and coupe, new Mercedes bens like the blacks and new SL, SLK and CLK, and new E, C... Then we go on to audi... where is the new RS4 new RS6, R8 V10, S5, S4, S6 all these new cars...

im not going to go on but there they could add about 300 new cars to replace the older versions... We've still got the old CLK from like 6 years ago, no new one...

And i could add hundreds more for Japanese cars which they havent added in but are worthy.

You do realise that this is in the GT5 forum, and not for GT PSP?

All the cars you mention could very well be in GT5 for all we know.

If you're dissatisfied with the number of cars in GT5, then just go play a game that has more.

Oh wait...

As far as I know the list of cars in GT5 is not available. Mabe you know something we don't? If you do have reliable information that what you said is true, then please share it with us. But if you don't and are just saying that based on your gut feeling, then please stop trolling the forums and giving as facts what you imagine is the truth.

950 cars is awesome! And what is Forza putting in? 400. They're lazy, not Polyphony. I'm pretty damn sure you have to be an insomniac to work for PD.

Changed title of thread since apparently many did not read the post, but only the title. I was only referring to the number of new cars, i.e. those not in GT4 or GT5 Prologue as being slightly underwhelming. And, given the facts I stated, I'd like to know what the widespread reaction of this community will be, if all that will be included, are 50 new car models. Look at the reception of GTPSP's car list. Everyone's saying it's GT4 with a handful of new cars and it (that aspect) makes it feel dated.

Having all GT4 cars in GT5 will be great, but the experience of exploring something new just will not be there for them. And if you have been playing GT4 a lot in the past, like many of us have, be honest...which cars will you check out first when you get your hands on GT5? The ones you already know? Hardly.

Saying that, I just read that 60% of development time is spent building the car models according to KY, so I do have hope we'll see more new cars come spring. Because in the end, it's the cars this game is about, and the sheer number of them in GT was always one of the unique features of it. And I do believe PD knows that.

Changed title of thread since apparently many did not read the post, but only the title. I was only referring to the number of new cars, i.e. those not in GT4 or GT5 Prologue as being slightly underwhelming. And, given the facts I stated, I'd like to know what the widespread reaction of this community will be, if all that will be included, are 50 new car models. Look at the reception of GTPSP's car list. Everyone's saying it's GT4 with a handful of new cars and it (that aspect) makes it feel dated.

GT4 had 721 cars, GT5 will have 950. Therefore, if all 721 cars from GT4 come to GT5, we'll still need 229 new cars, which put into perspective is half the roster of Forza 3 which is I believe the game that comes the closest when it comes to number of cars available. Not underwhelming at the slightest.

950 cars is underwhelming? lol that is funny

Did nobody actually read the OP? He is underwhelmed by having only 60 or so NEW cars in GT5 based on the assumption that every car from GT4 will make the cut.

That would be somewhat disappointing.. however, I doubt this will be the case and many of the GT4 cars may be excluded to make room for more recent models introduced in the last 2-3 years.

GT4 had 721 cars, GT5 will have 950. Therefore, if all 721 cars from GT4 come to GT5, we'll still need 229 new cars, which put into perspective is half the roster of Forza 3 which is I believe the game that comes the closest when it comes to number of cars available. Not underwhelming at the slightest.

Good point, 229 band new cars + 721 'old' isn't bad!

I thought Polyphony Digital always kept the definite car list pretty hidden. Ergo all the wikis at GTPlanet that have a carlist, those are usually user compiled... unless I'm mistaken, which is possible.

In any case, I wouldn't go by GTPSP's car list too much. Noone can know for sure, until the game is out. I'm sure there will be a fair few pleasant surprises when you finally check all the dealerships in GT5.

-Z

Did nobody actually read the OP? He is underwhelmed by having only 60 or so NEW cars in GT5 based on the assumption that every car from GT4 will make the cut.

That would be somewhat disappointing.. however, I doubt this will be the case and many of the GT4 cars may be excluded to make room for more recent models introduced in the last 2-3 years.
Apart from the fact that GT4 didn't have 890 cars, it had around 720, the acutal figure varied slightly on the version you owned. That still leaves arounfd 230 car minimum that wern't in GT4 and that's assuming that every car in GT4 will be in GT5. You have to remember that the car count for GT5 is over 950 cars, not 905 exact, if past GT games are anything to go by then it could be closer to 1000. Either way there's well over 200 new cars in GT5 over GT4's car list, a far cry from 60.

And not forgetting the new and vastly improved physics. I've already had plenty of kicks driving some of the cars in GT5:P that were in GT4, the difference is in driving them in GT5:P in car with the new physcis and the PS3 graphics is night and day. It's a totally different experience to GT4.

And not forgetting the new and vastly improved physics. I've already had plenty of kicks driving some of the cars in GT5:P that were in GT4, the difference is in driving them in GT5:P in car with the new physcis and the PS3 graphics is night and day. It's a totally different experience to GT4.

Exactly. Even if we've seen most of the cars before in GT4, they're all new to GT5. :)

Back