Nurburgring Hamilton Reference Lap

For who's wondering when it's (supposedly) been filmed:

View attachment 701098

That time is no longer relevant then since now the cars are much faster. Now everyone is going to feel like a god because they beat LH.. The AMG GT3 was previously much harder to drive as well in comparison, it would lose the back end without warning whereas it is a lot more progressive now.

Just watched the 12 minute version in-game... content is great but why the hell isn't it proper fullscreen?!? Thank-fully, the videos are watchable on Youtube as linked by others already, so I'll watch the 48 minute version there later.

All assists are off except ABS. Also, at the very end of the 12-minute video, Lewis mentions the "settings were much better" or something to that effect, so I think the long video probably covers car setup.
I've watched Lewis describe his F1 laps many times over the years and by know I am rather familiar with his driving style, so his explanations hold no surprises for me, but I still love hearing an true expert describe how he does what he does.

All assists are off except ABS. Also, at the very end of the 12-minute video, Lewis mentions the "settings were much better" or something to that effect, so I think the long video probably covers car setup.
It doesn't cover any of the later car settings.
Lewis seemed to be over-driving the car with his eagerness to set faster laps (lots of late braking) and there is a cut in the video (where i'd imagine they all had a short break and and Kaz probably did a few things in the settings) and we come back to Lewis driving a new stint to set his fastest lap. You'll notice that there are 300+ miles/km on the car for the complete session.

Last edited:
Of course we don't know exactly what settings he was using on his laps, but this was my result using default (non-BoP) power and weight on the racing hard tires. Regardless of how legitimate his time, or my time, is, the reference laps videos from Lewis are still a great tool for less experienced players and his personality is a great addition to the game.

Keep in mind Lewis' lap time is way before the multiple patches, and updates.

Just amazing! To see LH play the game, what a treat. :bowdown:

I don’t care to beat his time, or even try but to see two such epic legends; Kaz, who has brought to us a game series that has allowed us to simulate our fantasies for driving and Lewis, a multiple world champion from the pinnacle of motorsport.
This alone validates my enduring love for the game. 👍

He is very smooth and light on the wheel and brakes..makes it look easy..I'm like wrestling the wheel and heavy on the foot brake :lol: I need to change my driving habits....:gtpflag:

I also wear soft trainers (like you would on a track day) How do you guys play in socks? Do you drive a real car in socks? ;)👍

It’s odd, I used my wheel with shoes, then I just happened to try it with socks and couldn’t ever drive with shoes again, the feel was very different, not necessarily better. I felt I was a lot quicker with shoes on though. I stopped racing for a while and returned with shoes haha

He isn't so young, certainly in his 30's, shows what clean living can do.

He said that he normally uses chase cam, so I hope people are also using cockpit view when trying to 'beat' a time that we are unable to compare our times to.

Those 200 miles/kilometers that appeared off camera were probably done in chase cam with the controller, or by Kaz and the crew after Lewis left for the day lol

Finally! Very nice to get to see all this footage and his tips half way of the 48m vid give a great insight in how he approaches driving. The braking in his fastest lap was amazing by the way.

I think there will be two more episodes, brazil and suzuka.

Great job Kaz and Lewis!

Did you guys notice BBal adjustment towards the end of the extended video (43:50)? It's very brief but you can see Lewis move the balance from -1 to -3 on the back straight. I'd love to have the pedal cam moved to the bottom left so we can see BBal adjustment, really curious to see that. I love this video, very nicely done, hope they keep them coming!

Depends, aliens have probably spent 10 hours straight finding the tracks penalty limits and grip levels.
Lewis was doing this on a pre release I guess.

I'm going to have to forget he said 'I usually use this view'.
lol I was thinking same thing, but then I realized he's probably so used to seeing the front of cars through a windshield that he appreciates seeing the car from the back while driving in games lol.

This is a great beginning to these training videos. I learned a lot by watching this.

Now we just need one of these for every track! Doesn't even have to be from LH. I suppose the campaign mode teaches the same things, but this is a great supplement.

lol I was thinking same thing, but then I realized he's probably so used to seeing the front of cars through a windshield that he appreciates seeing the car from the back while driving in games lol.

I see that as him just being nostalgic about his childhood with RC cars because it's the same way I see the game when using chase-cam. It reminds me of how much I loved playing with RC cars as a young'un.

Two new O.Gs. - Original Genius!! What's the plural for of genius? There are two Original 'Genii' in the vids. Both deserve to be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize and/or Knighted.

Best youtube comment quoting Kaz "his throttle pedal is like a work of art" and the guy says "If hamiltons is a work of art then I must be picasso" as he beat Hamiltons time. Not surprising people can beat his time quickly though, it's a promotional event with cameras running and no benefit of being able to sit down in a room and put your mind to the task, I'm sure hamilton could shave another 3 seconds off.

Best youtube comment quoting Kaz "his throttle pedal is like a work of art" and the guy says "If hamiltons is a work of art then I must be picasso" as he beat Hamiltons time. Not surprising people can beat his time quickly though, it's a promotional event with cameras running and no benefit of being able to sit down in a room and put your mind to the task, I'm sure hamilton could shave another 3 seconds off.

Does it really matter if he's the fastest or not? it's not like the better real-life driver would get the fastest in-game time. My 20 year-old son can get better times than me in GTS yet at the real track he's nowhere near my times (yet). I'm also faster than him in Assetto, iRacing and PC2. Let's just say "physics and tyre models" in GTS are an 'acquired taste'.

Does it really matter if he's the fastest or not? it's not like the better real-life driver would get the fastest in-game time. My 20 year-old son can get better times than me in GTS yet at the real track he's nowhere near my times (yet). I'm also faster than him in Assetto, iRacing and PC2. Let's just say "physics and tyre models" in GTS are an 'acquired taste'.

I've not played GTS so can't comment, I was more pointing out that Hamiltons time was fairly slow due to the circumstances and that he would be a lot faster given the opportunity, game or not.

Back