Nurburgring Race Series - Week 4! (Honda NSX-R '02)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_George
  • 91 comments
  • 3,537 views
An interesting though just crossed my mind... of about 350 kms did with the NSX on the 'ring... i died about 6 times... scary lol
 
RedOak
An interesting though just crossed my mind... of about 350 kms did with the NSX on the 'ring... i died about 6 times... scary lol

Interesting you'd say that... But you'd be amazed what a modern super-car can live through.
If you grab some gumball footage from 2004, Torq does a cartwheel in his Hennesy Viper (RT10 convertible based) at 130mph in the morroccan desert... he was banged up but lived. and his passenger walked away without a scratch. (just had a case of shock)

here is the video from torq's website (no worries, its free for all)

there were some other altercations in morroco that year that herralded the durability of supercars... Like I reacall an F360 modena went head on into a tractor @ > 120mph, a huge pice of the car was literally sheered off... but the monocoque survived. Both passengers suffered only a bit of fear and the loss of a 1 month old $150,000 car. (yay Formula 1 safety shell technology)


oh, and to get back on-topic...
if anyone is still struggling for time on the ring... and hasn't read "the nordschliefe line" produced by BMW: get it it has wonderful insight on the track and the best lines.
 
T10: 6'49.075 BLEUGH!!!!!!!

God I suck at the Ring. This is embarrassing.
 
well you got a pretty good time... i still run at around 7'10.xxx at the T10 marker... i have no idea how you guys can get so good times. To me, using S1 tires on a car with that much torque is madness. I'd never do that irl, but heck... i gotta slow down or i kill myself here and there...
 
Well I've just run some laps in this race...
Which might I add, I said I would do if we ran on sports tires. :sly: :lol:

Problem is, I didn't really run this race. :confused:

I ran without the port & polish so my HP came to about 329 (I believe that makes a 9 hp difference).

Even with the lower hp I managed to push too hard and go into sand one point and just straight down the side of a straight on another (neither was a time saver).

So, with dirty, sand, and less power, my lap is pretty worthless.
At the same time though, it let me know what my setup will be as well as where I stand. :trouble:

Back tomorrow with some times if not later tonight.
Till then,
-
 
Kent, don't forget the oil change.
 
Wow, did my best run so far. No dying, no off the track.

T10: 6'51.531 ! Oh yeah.... i knowits noway near as good as anyone else, but its still almost 8 seconds better... just by not going off the track ;)

Btw, question: Is there a way to check all the Track markers (T1, T2...) after the race somewhere? or do you have to press pause every time to make them? or if its your 19th lap on the 'ring and you gotta watch the whole replay? (crazy stupid...)
 
By the time you got to your 19th lap man, the replay file would have ended.

That viper video was quite daunting to watch.

i hate it when stuff like that gets caught on film, but i feel compelled to watch....

Human nature i suppose.

Im off home soon to have a go at this weex run.

Time to chase the chipper
 
well the 19th lap thing was a figure of speech... should've wrote 1999293 or something ;)

But anyways... any way to consult lap times or something?
 
RedOak
well the 19th lap thing was a figure of speech... should've wrote 1999293 or something ;)

But anyways... any way to consult lap times or something?

When your happy with a lap just go to save ghost replay option and then exit out and go to replay theatre, you can then view your lap and note your t times as they pop up on screen...

If your having trouble getting a good time and staying on track try driving round and short shifting ie change up at 6000 rpm for each gear and take a drive round carefully, next lap push it a bit furthur and so on and so on, i always find if your going off its due to braking too late so try braking earlier and see if that helps 👍

regards

Dave
 
That's a pretty good trick, thanks for the help!

That and for the Ghost replay as well, didn't think about that! ;)
 
Just ran this with the proper HP 338. 👍

Well balanced, although semi-racing suspension would have been awesome. ;)

In any case, I found a clean lap but it was nothing special.

T10: 6'31.???

Does it really matter though? :lol:
I don't plan on submitting my time like everyone else. :confused:

Actually, my plan is to come back for the results and post my time and replay, why?
Because I don't want to get involved in a points system.
Plus, I shouldn't submit for just one race and throw off the points system for all the others here who have been working on this series for the last few weeks.

It wouldn't be fair for me to come in and step into a spot that may widen the gap between 2 close competitors.

So, if it's alright with you all, I'm going to be around for this but only in ghost form. :D

Back later if I work on improving.
If not, I'll be back for the results. :sly:

Till then,
-
 
RedOak
That's a pretty good trick, thanks for the help!

That and for the Ghost replay as well, didn't think about that! ;)

No problem, youve already knocked 8 seconds off your time, lets see how much more by sunday 👍

I find my first few laps each week are always very slow and carefull, i try and understand the balance of the car with regards to understeer/oversteer, have a go at some tuning and then start to push the car a bit, i find that a good way to start each week.

What settings are you using Red Oak? Im finding the NSX-R this week will take a low ride height of about 106 all round and i set the front dampers slightly softer than rear 3/4, also camber i found 2.5 front and 1.5 rear gave me the grip i was after, was nearly 3 seconds up today on my time before i lost the rear just after
Pflanzgarten II, you know the bit where you get slightly airborne, i lost it on the landing, couldnt seem to get back into the groove after that but i know there is lots more time to be had....

cheers

Dave
 
Kent
Just ran this with the proper HP 338. 👍

Well balanced, although semi-racing suspension would have been awesome. ;)

In any case, I found a clean lap but it was nothing special.

T10: 6'31.???

Does it really matter though? :lol:
I don't plan on submitting my time like everyone else. :confused:

Actually, my plan is to come back for the results and post my time and replay, why?
Because I don't want to get involved in a points system.
Plus, I shouldn't submit for just one race and throw off the points system for all the others here who have been working on this series for the last few weeks.

It wouldn't be fair for me to come in and step into a spot that may widen the gap between 2 close competitors.

So, if it's alright with you all, I'm going to be around for this but only in ghost form. :D

Back later if I work on improving.
If not, I'll be back for the results. :sly:

Till then,
-

Hi Kent, Thats a great time there mate and about where i see myself at weeks end if im lucky....i sort of understand where your coming from and appreciate you giving others the chance to pick up the points, but on the other hand i dont get it....

Upto you though if you choose not to submit then fair enough 👍

regards

Dave
 
Dave_George
Hi Kent, Thats a great time there mate and about where i see myself at weeks end if im lucky....i sort of understand where your coming from and appreciate you giving others the chance to pick up the points, but on the other hand i dont get it....

Upto you though if you choose not to submit then fair enough 👍

regards

Dave

Fair enough indeed. 👍
Fair for me, you, and anyone who wants those points. :D

No need to "get it," just accept it. ;) :lol:

Catch you all later down the road,
till then,
-
 
hey Dave, thanks for the comments,

I'm at work right now, but by memory, my settings are close to yours... after playing with them some... i think i was at 106/110 height. dampers are higher tho, something like 6/8 and cambers are 2.5 / 0.8 at the moment. I was very satisfied with the front, but slowly raising the rear.
 
In case anyone is interested in my settings. :D

Might be worth a try, might not be, you decide. :rolleyes:

113/113
7/8
2.0/1.0

Pretty simple.
Even ride height, just a touch of Shock Absorber bias, and the classic 2/1 camber.

If nothing else this setup will give you a good set for learning the track... Adjustments may come later but I don't really feel like they are needed.

Camber might need a jump in the front and rear but I'm not feeling that just yet.
Also, ride height seems high but after running at 108/109 I noticed the higher RH was actually contributing to stability and shock absorbtion.

No need to try them if you don't think they look right, but I suggest giving them a try... You'll never know unless you try. :D
 
I've had a few runs at this as well, but like Kent I don't think I'll submit my times. In fact, I haven't even taken note of my T10.

However, I am happy with my setup and if anyone wants to try:

106/108
4/4
2.5/0.8

Feel free. I find it gets the tail wagging just enough under brakes to get the car turned in while still providing good power down. And, if you're really silly, it allows a fantastic linking drift through Adenauer Forst! ;)
 
hehe... ^^ reminds me of a lap i had in the aston last week... came off the inside kerbing between fuchsrohre and adenauer forst, the jostle made the car so unstable under braking that all i could do was dump into a drift; and by some miracle was able to keep it going tossing bits of hot michelin all the way into the first left of anenauer before loosing too much speed to swing the bull back the other way.
not the fastest way... but surely the most exhilerating. :D
 
Man, I can't find my printed version of that Ring guide ... I clearly need it, because I just nailed a decent lap, nothing dirty, and only gained 1 second, so my lines are all to **** ... I wonder where I put it? :/

T10: 6'48.547
 
Sounds like you need to double check your running the right stuff

NSX-R'02 with all the correct mods.
 
Me? If so, I hope I *AM*, because that'll explain me sucking :p

I did check my tires again and I'm sure I'm running the correct HP, but I'll recheck everything tomorrow.
 
Didn't expect that I'd find it so dificult to get a lap that is both clean and fast with this car, but I'm struggeling....

Intentionally took my foot (or thumb ;)) off the throttle, and drove a careful lap, just to have a clean save.

Splits:
T1: 0'47.774
T2: 1'23.821
T4: 2'47.029
T7: 4'47.985
T10: 6'41.041

My goal is to get a T10 that is at least 6-7 sec's lower, but I doubt if I'll be able to get it...
 
grrr... i'm starting to get fed up with the NSX.
tossed 3 hours in the garbage today. not because of offs though... which is quite strange for the ring.
lap after lap of just not being fast enough.
The car is fine except the gearbox is complete rubbish... seems like i'm never in the power band, and the complete absense of torque in 3rd gear is so frustrating, because 2nd is never long enough to get through most of the turns i'd like to use it for. And switching up mid corner makes the car squeamish and scrubs off more speed than just dogging it out in the douldrums of 3rd.
just have to be so precise with the brakes, if you overbrake one turn you can kiss .3-.7 goodbye.
unless its bergwerk, then i've seen 5mph too slow on entry cost 1.2 seconds by t5
car is so bloody pickey.
hopefully i'll have enough time to squeaze in another stint before the deadline... don't know though, as i have a huge paper due + finals monday and tuesday :/
 
I hear ya Watson... i'm having the same problem, that and the tires send me straight into walls when they should pin me in place. so frustrating.

Anyhow.. after about 2000kms on the 'ring with my NSX... my best T10 is 6'57.352 so its pretty much the best i can do. It just won't get better. My limitation is time in the game and knowledge of the track and car.

The only way i'll get better is by seeing someone else do a lap to learn from it... unfortunatly.

anyone feel like recording a lap? ;)
 
@ RedOak: I'm a bit confused now :confused: In you last post you say you're best T10 is a 6'57.352 But earlier in this thread you posted a T10 off 6'51.531, so that's what I've put on the leaderboard. Did you forget your earlier (better) time, or is there a typo involved somewhere? :p Can you please confirm what you're best clean T10 is up to this moment? Thnx 👍

RedOak
Wow, did my best run so far. No dying, no off the track.

T10: 6'51.531 !
 
well i'm confused myself... perharps i missread something somewhere... I guess i'll have to check my times again... what i got writen down here is 6'57.352... indeed something's wrong 'Cause i remember doing a better time LOL

let me check my stuff back and i'll get back to ya.

edit: now i understand why i gave you a good time... i did get a good time... at work...

T1: 47'979
T4: 2'51.747
T10: 6'57.352

for a final time of: not enought. This is the best time i could come up with at work.. and now i get a stinky feeling that i didn't save my game and all my laps at home were done on a stock NSX... this sucks

Edit2: See! I did it again!! i wrote the wrong time again... man i need a vacation... god.

T1: 47'979
T4: 2'51.747
T10: 6'51.531

(T10: 6'57.352 is my time at home, which sucks...)
 
Just been reading the last few posts, a reminder to everyone just to check your running correct car and spec, car can be purchsed from Honda new cars section. 👍

regards

Dave
 
nope... not a spec problem... just my usual complaint about honda engines.
the torque peak is so high that it get crippled by its gasmizer gear box.
 
Dr_Watson
nope... not a spec problem... just my usual complaint about honda engines.
the torque peak is so high that it get crippled by its gasmizer gear box.

I knew you had the right spec from your time Dr, i meant more for those finding themselves so far off the pace just to check they are in the correct car with correct parts...

I have to disagree with you i think Honda make some of the best engines in the world, never going to have good low down torque but thats not what they are about, im not having trouble with the NSX-R but thats not to say it suits everyone.... :)

regards

Dave
 
Back