Nurburgring Race Series - Week 4! (Honda NSX-R '02)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_George
  • 91 comments
  • 3,537 views
oh, honda does make some of the best engines in the world.
that's without a doubt. The S2000 engine is a feat of engineering genious.
I just don't like how they're useless below ~6k
most high revving honda engines are NA motors that feel like they have turbo lag.
wouldn't be a problem if the gears were closer.
Like, i'd be happy if 2nd bounced at 60mph; then 3rd would be much more usefull for the plethora of 65-75 mph corners.
 
I'd be VERY surprised if I'm in the wrong car, on the wrong tires or don't have all the parts I should ... I went through everything 2 or 3 times, but I'll recheck again tonight.
 
Dr_Watson
oh, honda does make some of the best engines in the world.
that's without a doubt. The S2000 engine is a feat of engineering genious.
I just don't like how they're useless below ~6k
most high revving honda engines are NA motors that feel like they have turbo lag.
wouldn't be a problem if the gears were closer.
Like, i'd be happy if 2nd bounced at 60mph; then 3rd would be much more usefull for the plethora of 65-75 mph corners.

Yes i believe there are Vtec kits that you can buy to alter the point of the cam change to help that....and a lot of performance Honda's are now going to turbo/superchargers :drool:

Dave
 
Thought it might be of interest to all us NRS drivers, Radical have recently smashed the record for a road legal car around the ring, report and vid are HERE , car was in road legal trim and wearing Dunlop track day tyres, time was 6.55 :bowdown: :bowdown: beating the previous record by over 20 seconds!! Video is great for corner lines etc although i had no sound....?

cheers

Dave
 
BLLEUUGGGHHHH Quicktime; I won't install that. Shame, I never tire of watching people tear around the ring :p
 
I'm studying the guide here and wonder what this car's potential is that I'm just not seeing; how are people taking the following corners? Flat out or not?

Flugplatz
Fuchsrohre
Metzgesfeld (the 4th gear left hander after T3)
Klostertal (at the KM11 mark)

I'm typically tapping my brakes for all of them, because I find this car gets unsettled too easily at flat out speeds.

nuerburg.gif
 
im tapping brakes for all of them also.
 
i take flugplatz @ ~119mph; requires a tap of the brake
fuchsrohre is the left in the dip, before it starts going back up.... i'm assuming you're talking aobout the turn directly after. Which leads into andenauer, and yes you need to tap the brake. i usually take it at ~124mph
The other two are also not wide open;
i try to take Metzgesfeld easy at ~110mph and stand on the brake as soon as the kerbing stops and drop down to 3rd to take the next left @ ~6?mph
Klostertal is one of my worst corners, but yea... still requires the brakes and is a 4th gear corner.
 
Kolyana
I'm studying the guide here and wonder what this car's potential is that I'm just not seeing; how are people taking the following corners? Flat out or not?

Flugplatz
Fuchsrohre
Metzgesfeld (the 4th gear left hander after T3)
Klostertal (at the KM11 mark)

I'm typically tapping my brakes for all of them, because I find this car gets unsettled too easily at flat out speeds.

nuerburg.gif

Im doing about the same as the other guys who have replied Nat but i dont lift for Fuchsrohre.....Klostertal i think is the small right hander after the KM 11 mark corner (which itself can be a lap time killer) and has got more and more noticable as the power has gone up.....im finding a small lift is all i need to get through that one clean but with any more power it might get a bt trickier.

My worst section this week is the KM15-16 section "Pflanzgarten, the BMW Pdf guide mentions how in a 150 bhp car this is easy and as the power goes up it becomes tricky....rewarding when i do get it right but frustrating throwing away a lap there....

Anyway folks about 1.5 days of racing left, i have again managed about two or three sessions which im by no means happy with, i will have time for 1 more session tonight if i stay awake that long so hopefully i might put together something worth saving..... :indiff:

Just a quick word have not seen many names here so far this week other than the usual suspects, if you drop by say hi and let everyone know how your doing and what setups are working for you, we are near the end of our "Sports suspension" time now and im hoping that most have got a grip of what to do given a particular cars handling characteristics, if its all still confusing just ask questions as im sure there will be someone who can help 👍

Really hope you guys and girls are enjoying the NRS, and remember it gets faster and faster :)

regards

Dave
 
Well good to know that I'm not braking in all the wrong places, but to be honest as I'm going through this guide my braking points and lines seem to be okay, so why I'm such a huge margin off the pace I really don't know. It must be that whole final section ... there are a few corners over there I can take faster, for sure, but I get really hazy after the first Karrussel.
 
Well, I just compared my splits with those from the leaderboard and apparently I'm losing all of my time by T4 .... BLEUGH ... and I thought this was my strong section :p Well, atleast I have something to work on.

EDIT:

Got my T10 down to 6'43.508

A half decent improvement and by looking at the splits it seems like I'm pretty much losing 1 second per split, so there's no one sector where I'm terrible, I'm just taking everything a little slower than everyone else :p
 
Great improvement, Nat 👍!! 5 secondes off, great work.

Finally got it together to get another clean lap myself! Not the 6 seconds improvement I was hoping for... it's only 4 seconds improvement. But hey, with 2 (!) clean laps in about 650 km total, who am I to complain :p

I'm finding that the bumps in the track are causing me more troubles as the cars get faster. I know the ring is a bumpy track, and most of 'm are innocent. But there's a bump in a downhill section just before Pflanzgarten I and also a very bad one in the downhill section before Pflanzengarten II. I frequently got to there, only to go over the bumps absolutely flatout, causing the car to jump, get sideways and go offtrack. :indiff: Very frustrating having to brake for these...

T1: 0'46.559
T2: 1'22.549
T4: 2'45.165
T7: 4'44.743
T10: 6'37.309
 
my competative nature overtook my studies and i decided to take a break from my homework to run a 3rd stint in the NSX...

T1 45.888
T2 1'21.314
T3 1'50.486
T4 2'42.884
T5 3'22.426
T6 3'50.366
T7 4'41.719
T8 5'24.875
T9 5'47.045
T10 6'30.005
Final: Submitted.

anyone ever see a 1'20 in T2?
closest i ever got was 1'21.011
 
Dave_George
Thought it might be of interest to all us NRS drivers, Radical have recently smashed the record for a road legal car around the ring, report and vid are HERE , car was in road legal trim and wearing Dunlop track day tyres, time was 6.55 :bowdown: :bowdown: beating the previous record by over 20 seconds!! Video is great for corner lines etc although i had no sound....?

cheers

Dave

The press release on radical's site says it was wearing Dunlop Direzza tires.
only pic i could find:
205/50 R16 DUNLOP DIREZZA DZ101
13344148_full.jpg


They look like street tires to me. dunno though, since dunlop apparently doesn't sell these in the US yet.
According to what i could find, they're comparable to Yoko Advan tires. Which are just super performance summer tires.

oh, and i found a video that has sound.

pretty cool... that car is kinda toeing the line of "street car" though...
yeah, for administrative purposes i'm sure its street legal, but you'll never see one on the road.
 
Dr_Watson
The press release on radical's site says it was wearing Dunlop Direzza tires.
only pic i could find:
205/50 R16 DUNLOP DIREZZA DZ101
13344148_full.jpg


They look like street tires to me. dunno though, since dunlop apparently doesn't sell these in the US yet.
According to what i could find, they're comparable to Yoko Advan tires. Which are just super performance summer tires.

oh, and i found a video that has sound.

pretty cool... that car is kinda toeing the line of "street car" though...
yeah, for administrative purposes i'm sure its street legal, but you'll never see one on the road.

I think those tyres look too much like regular tyres but its possible they are the ones...?
 
Dr_Watson
my competative nature overtook my studies and i decided to take a break from my homework to run a 3rd stint in the NSX...

T1 45.888
T2 1'21.314
T3 1'50.486
T4 2'42.884
T5 3'22.426
T6 3'50.366
T7 4'41.719
T8 5'24.875
T9 5'47.045
T10 6'30.005
Final: Submitted.

anyone ever see a 1'20 in T2?
closest i ever got was 1'21.011

Nice time 👍

I still dont have a clean time so im off now to get one.

Will be quite difficult to beat these i think :sly:

Great job 👍 :cheers:
 
Small_Fryz
Nice time 👍

I still dont have a clean time so im off now to get one.

Will be quite difficult to beat these i think :sly:

Great job 👍 :cheers:

Thanks...
I'd wager there is ~2 seconds in there for you to find if you can keep it all together. There's gotta be at least one second before T4, since I'd seen 45.4's in T1 and on that lap I slowed down too much between fuchsrohre and adenaur... Was also taking it easy between the karrasell's, should be another second in there.

Good luck to you... See you at the finish line. =]
 
Dave_George
I think those tyres look too much like regular tyres but its possible they are the ones...?

according to radical's own website;
"... In road legal trim and riding on Dunlop Direnza tyres"

and here's and auction in NZ for that brand name: Link with photo

I wouldn't call them "track day" tires... since the guy who ran the lap (found an interview with him) said if they put slicks on the car it would be at least 30 seconds faster.
 
was seeing 45.4xx T1 / 1'20.7xx T2 / 1'49.xxx T3's / 2'41.xx T4's / 3'21.xx T5's etc

BUT NO!!! Kept crashing which made me so mad, So in the end i said screw this im not doing it anymore, it was becomming a chore, i was hating it. So i did 1 lap, slow but clean and submitted.

6'34.9xx About 6 - 7 seconds slower at the line then i should be.

No competition at all Dr Watson 👎

Sorry


Could of should of but didnt

Submitted just to score points

Not happy Jan :grumpy: 👎
 
oh damn... 1'49's in T3 was the grail i was looking for all week.
thats hardcore fast mate.
good racing though.... and hey, you're still > 10pts ahead of me ;)
 
4 laps this week. Lap 3 was my 1st clean one but I was having so much fun I ran one more and shaved off another 6.5s. From the looks of things not competitive at all. Ran with TCS/ASMs=0 but forgot to do any suspension tuning. This may have been the 1st time I've ever driven a normal NSX...I have driven the racing ones and spent some time with the concept with the cool scoop.

T10: 6'57.371
 
Small_Fryz
BUT NO!!! Kept crashing which made me so mad, So in the end i said screw this im not doing it anymore, it was becomming a chore, i was hating it. So i did 1 lap, slow but clean and submitted.

6'34.9xx About 6 - 7 seconds slower at the line then i should be.

Not happy Jan :grumpy: 👎

Oh, man, this sound soooo familiar :) Exact same thing happening with me, only I'm 2-3 seconds slower still :p

Let's just forget this week, Small_Fryz, and hope we do better next week 👍
 
Small_Fryz
was seeing 45.4xx T1 / 1'20.7xx T2 / 1'49.xxx T3's / 2'41.xx T4's / 3'21.xx T5's etc

BUT NO!!! Kept crashing which made me so mad, So in the end i said screw this im not doing it anymore, it was becomming a chore, i was hating it. So i did 1 lap, slow but clean and submitted.

6'34.9xx About 6 - 7 seconds slower at the line then i should be.

No competition at all Dr Watson 👎

Sorry


Could of should of but didnt

Submitted just to score points

Not happy Jan :grumpy: 👎

Ah come on! :sly: :lol:

This makes it so hard for me not to just squeeze in my time from earlier this week. :rolleyes:

Still sitting on that same time of mine from way back, 5'31.4 T10.

Not a "great" time but certainly acceptable.

However, just like I said, I'm not here to steal points or to take podiums. :D

I suppose the deadline is some time today?
When the results have gone up I will come in and post my Lap Time just for the sake of letting you guys know how my 2 NSX sessions came out.

Btw, I looked over it and the 5'31.4 is on 338hp. 👍
For a little while I was wondering to myself if that lap was on 329hp but nope, it was on the right setup. :D

Anyway...
Fryz, try to get in one more run if you can. 👍
Watson, nice work with your submitted run. 👍

Everyone else, have fun with the last bit of time you have to run cause there is no way to tell what is coming next.

Later. :cheers:
 
Kent
Still sitting on that same time of mine from way back, 5'31.4 T10.

A 5'31.4 with this car and setup?? MAN, you're quick :p I bet even Veil can't keep up with that !! :D
 
I always get that. :rolleyes:

So you really believe I got a 5'31? :lol:

Well just in case...

That should be marked as a 6'31.4.

Of course, my posting 5 is kinda odd... I'm the one running the race and I don't know the t times to even the minute? :dunce:

Anyway.
Just came back to mention that I ran a few laps stress free earlier and saw a 6'30.3.
Dirty but that's no big deal.
Should be clean with any luck but even if that doesn't happen, I will still know what sort of times I could hit.

If I do manage to clean up a nicer lap there will be an update followed by my usual rant about not getting into the official results. :p :lol:
 
Well i managed to just get a few laps in and was beginning to think that i couldnt complete a lap without losing it in the quick entry to Pflanzgarten II and started blaming the "Rouge" ive been drinking with dinner....when it all came together by some miracle and i knocked 2 seconds off my time.....actually felt a bit emotional!

The NSX-R has given me the most problems so far in this series but at all the places i was ok in other cars, im putting it to the sheer speed factor of this weeks car...but anyway :

T2 1'21.627
T4 2'43.170
T7 4'42.958
T10 6'33.646

At least i can finish the week on a good note!

cheers all and good luck with your results 👍

Dave
 
Well...
I just spent something like 150 miles on the ring without getting a clean save. :(

However, after I eat and do some work in the yard it will be a clean slate for me. :D

Also, with regards to my 6'30.3 dirt lap.

Somehow I've found major errors in that lap.
Oddly, I don't know the exact points because I am turning off the ghost at certain key sections.

What's bothering me about these errors is the fact that they are surrounded by really good spots.
(this is when I wish I really knew the names of the turns :lol: )

Here's the deal though.
up by .2 at T1
down by .4 at T3
up by .2 at T4
even or down at T6
up by .4 or more at t7
wipe out (consistantly) :(

The good news for that is on the side of where I wipe out and how much I'm up by when it happens.

Of course the wipe out is usually on the big down hill section that holds T9.

However, if there is no wipe out before that, I am occassionally up by 1.0 seconds at T8.

If my Dunch (dinner/lunch), plus tree removal work (still dealing with hurricane katrina here), work well, then I should be able to get a clean lap under 6'30.000.

:D

Let's see how it goes. :cheers:
 
Funny Kent, i wish i was as good as you for laptimes... funny how now, i can't even finish a single lap.. i always wipe ou in T3... go figure...

Still got a few seconds off. Got from '51 to '47.xxx at T1... woohoo ;)

I'll post some times later on..

btw, quick question concerning time limit to submit... Says '9PM GMT'... is it 9PM england time? (i would think so)... Which translate to what Eastern America?
 
RedOak
Funny Kent, i wish i was as good as you for laptimes... funny how now, i can't even finish a single lap.. i always wipe ou in T3... go figure...

Still got a few seconds off. Got from '51 to '47.xxx at T1... woohoo ;)

I'll post some times later on..

btw, quick question concerning time limit to submit... Says '9PM GMT'... is it 9PM england time? (i would think so)... Which translate to what Eastern America?

RedOak i think your -5 time which makes it 5pm submission time for yourself, i could be wrong so do check up but yes 9PM GMT is 9pm England time 👍

regards

Dave
 
Back