Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Discussion

Just installed my ASUS GTX 1070 PC with dual fans yesterday. I am not disappointed. I had an R9 380 before that I tried getting the Rift to work with. Needless to say, it was mediocre at best but typically nauseating. Even on low resource games such as war thunder, a game the 380 could handle on full graphics, couldn't achieve the FPS and refresh rates to keep motion (or lack of) sickness at bay. Playing something like pCars, one lap and I had my head in the bin. Now though, it's a completely different experience that I am enjoying quite a lot.
That said, anyone notice high temps? I had an AIO liquid cooler cooling the 380, so my temps rarely hit about 65°c. While playing GTA V yesterday, the 1070 maxed at 82° but typically sat around 78-79°. Is this a normal temp or should I consider doing something more for cooling. As it stands now I have 3 case fans feeding air in, one on the side, blowing on the GPU, one in the front and one in the back feeding cool air to the CPU. One more fan is on top, pulling out the hot air from the case. The PSU is up there as well. Any ideas, should I be concerned with the temps I am seeing?

Just installed my ASUS GTX 1070 PC with dual fans yesterday. I am not disappointed. I had an R9 380 before that I tried getting the Rift to work with. Needless to say, it was mediocre at best but typically nauseating. Even on low resource games such as war thunder, a game the 380 could handle on full graphics, couldn't achieve the FPS and refresh rates to keep motion (or lack of) sickness at bay. Playing something like pCars, one lap and I had my head in the bin. Now though, it's a completely different experience that I am enjoying quite a lot.
That said, anyone notice high temps? I had an AIO liquid cooler cooling the 380, so my temps rarely hit about 65°c. While playing GTA V yesterday, the 1070 maxed at 82° but typically sat around 78-79°. Is this a normal temp or should I consider doing something more for cooling. As it stands now I have 3 case fans feeding air in, one on the side, blowing on the GPU, one in the front and one in the back feeding cool air to the CPU. One more fan is on top, pulling out the hot air from the case. The PSU is up there as well. Any ideas, should I be concerned with the temps I am seeing?

I'm assuming you have this card? https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1070-8G/ Asus also makes the Strix 1070, but that has 3 fans...

I'd contact Asus about this. I don't think AIB 1070s should be running that hot, even with an OC... I have the EVGA SC 1070, and the highest reported temp I've seen is 73 C, and that's with an OC of 2050 mhz clock.

It's been good to me so far. Might add it to the water loop when blocks become more available.

gtx1080.jpg

You mean all your fans blow in, except one ? I think you might consider having more extraction there.
The case has its fair share of places to vent pressure from, air flow isn't an issue. The fan in the side panel being pressed to stopping by the CPU heatsink on the other hand could be.
I'm assuming you have this card? https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1070-8G/ Asus also makes the Strix 1070, but that has 3 fans...

I'd contact Asus about this. I don't think AIB 1070s should be running that hot, even with an OC... I have the EVGA SC 1070, and the highest reported temp I've seen is 73 C, and that's with an OC of 2050 mhz clock.
That is indeed the card. However, given the issue above, I'm going to give it another go and see what happens. The GPU creates a bit of a dead space below it because the case is a mid. It is nearly the same width, so without the side fan blowing there isn't much fresh air moving down there. If this doesn't alleviate the issue I'll definitely be contacting ASUS.

Edit: The fan on the side panel was indeed the issue. Temps hovered around 70-72° and peaked at 77° during cut scenes. I'm a little ocd about temps though, so like Pako, I think I may look into liquid cooling this.

Last edited:
Well price of 1080 are finally settling down in my country, no sign of a FTW or even a strix OC still tho.

I'm now thinking if I should buy a 1080 or wait for a 1080 ti release which shouldnt be that far now. This time I'll probably pre-order it.

Well price of 1080 are finally settling down in my country, no sign of a FTW or even a strix OC still tho.

I'm now thinking if I should buy a 1080 or wait for a 1080 ti release which shouldnt be that far now. This time I'll probably pre-order it.

Lucky you. Most GTX 1080 are still ridiculously expensive in Australia. I'm waiting for MSI GTX1080 Seahawk price to drop a bit even though it's more expensive than Open Air type GTXs but I can't stand them because they are way too noisy when on load.

Countdown on the geforce site now, event in San Francisco 28th Feb.
I do have a 1080 now, really liking it but it's a bit short for VR, especially with supersampling enable.

Gonna probably sold mine and get a FTW Hybrid 1080ti when they are available.

I do have a 1080 now, really liking it but it's a bit short for VR, especially with supersampling enable.
Really? A friend of mine's brother has a Vive hooked up to a 1070, and it seems to run pretty well. I don't know what settings he runs games at, though.

Really? A friend of mine's brother has a Vive hooked up to a 1070, and it seems to run pretty well. I don't know what settings he runs games at, though.
Oh it's running if you're not picky lol But I am and I want the best possible outcome and with supersampling at 2.0 enable the 1080 is just lacking a bit.

I run VR on a 1070 also. My bottleneck in my 8350 AMD processor. Have you monitored your systema performance to see if the GPU and not the CPU is your hang up?

$700 for the reference card, so probably £750 at launch here (if not more), custom editions going for maybe £800-900... I wouldn't have minded a price cut on the 1080 I bought last month but oh well, easy come easy go I guess. Having said that, the card I bought is actually £40 more than I paid for it now, I assume so they can cut the price and have it cost the same or only slightly less?

Nah, custom PCBs will be cheaper. Probably will be 650ish like the 1080 used to be. It's gonna have to be when Vega comes to market anyway.

All 10x0 cards? From what I've read, it's only for the old 1080.

Really? Guess wherever I read that was a little too liberal with their reporting. It'll have to drop with Vega anyway.

Looks to be. Can we get a price drop on the 1070? Still £360 in blighty.

The 1070 receives a $350 price, the 1080 a $499 price

In addition the 1080 and 1060 both receive a faster memory chip (11Gb/s and 9Gb/s, respectively). I assume this is a newer-spec Founders edition now, with AIB manufacturers adopting the spec in tow shortly after.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-1060-official-price-cut-specs-upgrade/

---

And Game ready drivers dedicated to improving DX12 performance is underway

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-directx-12-gpu-driver-gtx-1080-ti-pascal/

Latest Posts

Back