Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Discussion

Relevant:

agVRz3w_700b.jpg

Damn, for the 1070, you'll be able to get a RX480 Crossfire..
Two things: First, that's a great thing, imho - at least for us :lol: It's bound to drive the prices for the Nvidia cards down. Unless there's a catch to the AMD cards. Which leads me to the second point: Let's not forget that running a Crossfire setup (or an SLI setup, for that matter) can introduce a fair share of issues. Microstuttering, poor utilisation depending on the application, heat and power consumption and so on.

Regardless, the 480 really is just the tip of the iceberg. There's more to come, probably stuff with a bigger oomph (and price tag).

I wouldn't go near those FE versions, the blower style coolers always sound like vacuum cleaners. Where did you see the 1070 for $799 @SVX?

well, ordered mine on the 27th, certainly didn't come on the 3rd! the word now is the 17th, but even that might not happen because of some national holiday where everyone sails around in dragon boats or something lol. I'm going away on the 26th so there's a good chance I'll only get it by july! not happy

LDLC has a swiss website you can order from, they have a few custom ones : http://www.ldlc.ch

Yeah I know that site, I also go to materiel.net since my parents are living in france but yeah, ldlc dont have any card either, it's just preorder and they always push them back. I'm monitoring those 2 site frequently ^^ since I can save 10% from buying in France with VAT difference. And I'm not buying a custom card who should be 100 euro cheaper 150 euro pricier no way. But thx Alex. oh I see you're not far from me actually ^^Working in switzerland ?

Looking for a job right now actually, but worked in Plan les Ouates previously ;)

And yeah, the struggle seems real with those cards. Totally agree on the custom's prices too.

How much does the GTX 1080 and 1070 costs in your region?

Over here based on a well known PC store, 1080 costs around $914 and 1070 costs around $609.

Umm in my country, converted in dollars the 1080 custom are around 841 while FE one are around 770 dollars.

1070 custom are pricy as ****, like around 570 usd and not sure how much FE one are let me check, around 510 dollars.

You can't buy a custom 1080 yet, noon available, apparently Strix should come soon but not the OC one, just normal frequency with custom vent. You can buy FE 1080 tho and 1070 are available.

I'm waiting for a FTW 1080 to come out personally as I'm not in rush and like EVGA.

I looked up pricing for the 1080 and 1070 at one well known electronics store in Scandinavia.

1080 FE: $920
1070 FE: $585

I think I've changed my mind on these cards.

I looked up pricing for the 1080 and 1070 at one well known electronics store in Scandinavia.

1080 FE: $920
1070 FE: $585

I think I've changed my mind on these cards.

Dont you guys have pretty high VAT tho ? In switzerland VAT is only 8% thank god XD Which makes the price difference more or less.

Yep, 250$... announced for the custom ones, while the FE are at 300$. Seeing what was announced for the 1070 and 1080 and what reality is, you should rather expect 300$ being the entry price with customs being more expensive (I'd say between 320 and 350$, regarding the current 1070 lineup)...

In the end, reference 1060s will probably fight against custom RX480s, which will most likely remain more interesting (the performance gain % announced for the 1060 over the reference RX480 is less than the price % difference). Ingame benchmarks will tell though.

I say this every time but I really might replace my 960 with a 1060, except I'll keep my 1080p60 monitor and just enjoy not having to think about my settings. Doom and Just Cause 3 had me tinkering with settings and I just couldn't be bothered. That does of course depend on how hugely inflated the price is when they get to England, though.

Some comparative RX480 and 1070 figures from this New Zealand site. Tin-suvunty mate!

I have a Founder's Edition 1070 and love it. I am coming from SLI'd 970s. To be fair, the 1070 is comparable to the 970s where the game has a good SLI profile. Otherwise, the 1070 is a quantum leap. It is paired with my i5 2500k, which is overclocked from the stock 3.3 ghz to 4.4 ghz.

I am now using it for both my Oculus Rift and with my 4K HDTV at 60hz. I have run many Rift titles so far, including several of my sim racing titles, iRacing, Assetto Corsa and Project CARS and the 1070 easily gives me the need 90 FPS without any significant eye candy compromises.

As far as 4K, the card performs surprisingly well. With 4K, I can turn off AA entirely and that helps with performance. I have run Crysis 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Forza 6 Apex, Doom, Dying Light, Witcher 3, Call of Duty Black Ops III and Fallout 4 and each game looks amazing at High or Ultra settings with FPS generally averaging 40-60, with only occasional drops into the 30s. I have noticed no slowdown with any title at 4K.

In summary, so long as you pair it with a decent CPU that doesn't bottleneck it, the 1070 is a great option for the Oculus Rift and/ or 4K.

Just thought i'd give an update on my 1080 FTW order. Ordered in May, the 3rd of June release was missed by a long shot and only the first 40 of 1000 preorders have been shipped yesterday from the retailer I bought it from. EVGA keep telling lies and not keeping promises on the delivery unfortunately. I went into the shop front of the retailer yesterday, and as prices have shot up the best like for like swap on my order was a Palit Gamerock 1080, and I decided to go for it and jump out of the big mess that was the queue for the card. Who knows when I would have received the FTW, but now the Palit card is in my PC, boosting to 1949mhz out of the box and eating games for breakfast. Very happy, probably just as good as a standard EVGA one anyway

FTW specs weren't announced since recently your shop probably listed wrong like a lot of other shop I've seen. Lots were mentioning FTW Evga while it was actually the Acx that came first then the Acx SC. FTW was never due before July I think. Specs were published on Evga website like end of June.

So the UK RRP of the GTX 1060 Founder's Edition (which is a limited edition too, for some reason) is £275, the others starting at £240. That's much more like it. I suppose I'll start saving and see what my finances are like at the end of September or October. I think I'll also stick with the monitor I have now, my original plan to get a 27" 1440p may have been a little too ambitious for my means!

Since 4k gaming is becoming an affordable thing in terms of GPU's, I'm wondering whether I should skip 1440p entirely, and just wait another year or two before switching to 4k. My GTX780 is still maxing anything that is being released at 1080p, so it feels a bit daft going to 1440p. Currently gaming on a 24" monitor, would love to go to something like 30" or so at 4k...

Back