Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Discussion

I think the GTX1060 should be added here as-well.

c49c81bf94.jpg

I think a 1060 could well replace my windforce 760 4gb. Reckoning on about $250/£275 for the founders/6GB version.

Since 4k gaming is becoming an affordable thing in terms of GPU's, I'm wondering whether I should skip 1440p entirely, and just wait another year or two before switching to 4k. My GTX780 is still maxing anything that is being released at 1080p, so it feels a bit daft going to 1440p. Currently gaming on a 24" monitor, would love to go to something like 30" or so at 4k...

As someone who jumped on the 1440p bandwagon, I say it's a pretty decent jump. Games definitely look sharper and aliasing is lessened a bit, but I still have to add in some AA to remove jaggies completely.

Keen to see the benchmarks for the 1060, if it can match a 980 I would be keen. I want to upgrade but can't really justify the current price of the 1070.

Yeah, the 1060 looks like a big step up from the 960, I'm probably going to get one if they can be found for around £250. I expect they'll be hugely inflated in price for some time, though, I mean the 8GB RX 480 is £250ish right now and if they are competing then it's reasonable to expect the 1060 to be a fair bit more.

Keen to see the benchmarks for the 1060, if it can match a 980 I would be keen. I want to upgrade but can't really justify the current price of the 1070.
Your wish is my command:

A few things to note:

After seeing some benchmarks, I overall agree with the conclusion that the RX480 and the 1060 shouldn't be considered part of the same class of GPUs. There are certain games (like Hitman) that perform better on AMD hardware than Nvidia, but aside from that, the RX480 does hold an advantage over the 1060 in Dollars per Frame, which is sort of the goal of the 480 in the first place when they announced the price for that card at $200, if only just barely in some games. Looking at the whole thing overall, I still want to see the Performance per Watt marks before making any reasonable conclusions for recommendations.

Still though, I think that I found my card for the next two or so years.

Looks at MSI and Asus prices

Haaaaaaaaahaahahahaha !

Although, thanks to Gainward, the entry price is honoured, this time. But man, the most expensive one is already 410€ (450$) !

Still pissed at the lack of release date for the custom RX 480 versions though.

$650 for a 1060 here, ridiculous.

Will be keeping my 970 until the 1070 prices drop to a slightly less absurd price.

This is completely hypothetical, but if I were to upgrade to a 1060 or to a 1070 from my 760, would I need to upgrade my power supply too?

This is completely hypothetical, but if I were to upgrade to a 1060 or to a 1070 from my 760, would I need to upgrade my power supply too?

Every generation of GPU seems to be designed to be as power efficient as possible. So unless you upgrade from single GPU to dual GPU, I don't think you ever need to upgrade your PSU if you already have 600W. But correct me if I'm wrong.

And as said, 600W is plenty. You can power just about any single GPU with it.

I'm surprised that you didn't SLI it. You certainly had the space on the motherboard for it. It would have been a question of power.

I wish money didn't exist in my universe too.

Well... there's your answer lol. I'm thinking about SLI, but I would probably have to upgrade my monitor as well.

edit: Plus I might have to upgrade to an i7 (I have an i5 right now)

Last edited:
I'm cracking up at how quickly the prices are dropping on these cards, my favourite retailer currently has the 1070 selling at $220 less than the release price. They seem to drop it by about $10 every week, glad I waited.

Over here they're still quite expensive, so definitely holding on to my 970 for a bit longer.

I came very close to ordering a 1060 last night (and the night before that, and the night before that) but passed solely because Amazon said it'd dispatch in 1-2 months, by which time the price would fall even more so I'd probably end up paying to wait which is crazy. That said, that Asus 1060 "Dual" (misleading branding referring to the number of fans on the cooler) is the cheapest non-reference card I've seen at £240.

So instead I'll wait a month or two and keep saving, maybe I'll get a 1070 if their prices dip enough but in reality I'm more likely to get a 1060 and have some money left to put toward a holiday or something.

My mom has ordered all the parts I want for my PC, including a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming. The whole rig costs 3000€, but I'm very happy with it. Just have to wait until September...

Back