Nvidia New Cards

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 180 comments
They look good, I'm looking forfward to seeing some independant benchmarks and how good they are in practice.

I'll be building a new PC soon, waiting on specs for the new AMD Zen 3 desktop processors before I choose the final parts, but an RTX 3080 looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

I'm thinking the FE cards for the first time. The new cooler design intrigues me quite a bit; and none of the OEMs have bothered trying to replicate it.

I am hoping to score a 3080 either Nvidia FE or EVGA on launch day. Have minor concerns with the amount of vram on the launch cards but am building and want to finish a new system within the next couple of weeks.
This system will be used exclusively for gaming purpose and will have nothing installed on it except programs required for games including Steam.
Also want to do VR for racing and combat flight sims and this makes me consider the 3090 but just cannot bring myself to justify the price.

Ya, I'll be buying one of these instead of a next-gen console. I get way more use out of my PC and giving the GPU a much-needed boost will have me set for a long time.

If I should get a 3070/80 do I need new monitors? Because I don't know what ports these new cards have. Displayport for sure but HDMI?

New cards will have HDMI, your old monitors will work fine. If your budget allows go for the 3080 over the 3070.
The 3080 has the same top chip and the faster ddr6x memory as the the 3090 while the 3070 has a lower tier chip and also the older slower non x ddr6 vram at only 8g for the 3070 while the 3080 is at 10g.
For only a 200.00 usd. higher price premium the 3080 is the actual best card by a long shot between the two cards.

New cards will have HDMI, your old monitors will work fine. If your budget allows go for the 3080 over the 3070.
The 3080 has the same top chip and the faster ddr6x memory as the the 3090 while the 3070 has a lower tier chip and also the older slower non x ddr6 vram at only 8g for the 3070 while the 3080 is at 10g.
For only a 200.00 usd. higher price premium the 3080 is the actual best card by a long shot between the two cards.
Thanks!

I'm building a machine for my son's birthday to land in Q4. His budget was square in the 2060 Super range. So I'm interested to see how the run-out of 20-series cards goes, and also what pricing/availability of 30-series cards is. I know what the posted RRP is, but I never trust that. Let's see what they actually come to.

It may be that he needs to pull forward any Christmas budget to go with one of the 30-series cards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my 9 month old 2080-ti for a while yet.

I'm building a machine for my son's birthday to land in Q4. His budget was square in the 2060 Super range. So I'm interested to see how the run-out of 20-series cards goes, and also what pricing/availability of 30-series cards is. I know what the posted RRP is, but I never trust that. Let's see what they actually come to.

It may be that he needs to pull forward any Christmas budget to go with one of the 30-series cards.

I'm not thinking about replacing my 9 month old 2080-ti for a while yet.
If the 3060 series of cards follow the same patterns as what has already been announced then the newer 3060 should be at around the same price point or just slightly higher than the current 2060 line while offering a fair bit more performance.

Good that you have plenty of time before the build to not only research your options and bench test but to also get past the initial demand/ possible availability issues that in today's world market conditions seem to have many more instances of supply shortages of a product from either high demand or production issues.

If I were running a 2080ti I would wait as well, first off these upper level 30 series cards are probably going to be in short supply for some time and also there will be super and/or ti versions with more vram and different factory over clocks coming to market down the road so if you choose to upgrade the selection and availability will be better.

If the 3060 series of cards follow the same patterns as what has already been announced then the newer 3060 should be at around the same price point or just slightly higher than the current 2060 line while offering a fair bit more performance.

Good that you have plenty of time before the build to not only research your options and bench test but to also get past the initial demand/ possible availability issues that in today's world market conditions seem to have many more instances of supply shortages of a product from either high demand or production issues.

If I were running a 2080ti I would wait as well, first off these upper level 30 series cards are probably going to be in short supply for some time and also there will be super and/or ti versions with more vram and different factory over clocks coming to market down the road so if you choose to upgrade the selection and availability will be better.

Oh yeah, totally. My 2080ti is on water as well, and I'm not seeing any blocks for 30 series cards yet. Plus, just because the 30 series is launching, it doesn't mean that the 20 series cards have turned to junk overnight, as some would try to have you believe. I do realise that the additional performacne of the 30 series cards is something that developers will exploit, but there should really be another 18-24 months left in this card before I have to start turning the settings down on new games.

Your notes on the market state regarding the card for my son's rig match my thinking exactly.

Plus, just because the 30 series is launching, it doesn't mean that the 20 series cards have turned to junk overnight, as some would try to have you believe.

Yes my current system that I am going to make my secondary system, browsing, overall general use has a 6700k chip and an EVGA hybrid 1070 GPU in it.
If the 2080/2080ti versions drop low enough in price then I may try to pick up one used to stretch the performance life of that system a bit. I usually build a new system about every 5 years.

Usually one of my grand kids end up with my older systems for use with schoolwork or whatever before it is over with.

Usually one of my grand kids end up with my older systems for use with schoolwork or whatever before it is over with.

:lol: I know that (although I'm not at the 'grand' stage yet). Crazy thing is that my eldest's MacBook Air (which was handed down from my wife) wasn't powerful enough to run the app she needs for her A level music, so she got an upgrade, and the Air is back with me to use as a browser

I'll be waiting for the 3060 or see what AMD comes out with. Of course that could change if there's any good prices on the other cards. If I were to upgrade now I would get the 5600 XT. But I'm not sure if that offers enough features and leap to make me pull out my wallet. There are still some less resource intensive games in my backlog.

I'm still on a HD7950. I manage 30+ FPS at 1080P at various settings on the latest games on generally medium settings. No DX12 please though. #plebgaming

Damn, the 3080FE is too long for my case.
That issue is going to affect many with smaller case builds, another thing is the PSU as on the higher end cards 3080 and 3090 they are saying a 750 watt minimum and many systems have been built using 550 -650 watt power supplies.
Last but not least as the higher end cards are pulling a lot of watts which will translate into heat then cases that have not well designed or marginal cooling solutions may suffer as well.
A lot more to take into consideration rather than I have the money to buy the card so lets upgrade!

Thermal performance is a big issues, especially if you want to run a quieter machine. Water cooling the FE cards doesn't look like a simple prospect either, though I'm not planning a water cooled build any time soon this is worth thinking of for those that prefer to go that route.

Damn, the 3080FE is too long for my case.

I've seen some of the comment vids on YT stating that much of the FE card length is down to a passthrough radiator. Looking at the proportions of the EK 3080/3090 waterblocks, it looks like you could potentially fit a watercooled 3080 card in a case that would not fit an air-cooled card.

ek_quantum_vector_rtx_3080_3090_nickel_plexi_top_1.jpg

The waterblock is only 230mm long, but it does state this is for reference PCBs, not FE cards.

Man I wish I could fit a second rad in mine. My only hope is a partner card being 270mm or shorter; or just sucking it up and buying a 2070 instead and seeing how much it can be pushed.

JayzTwoCents has his benchmarks video up:

Genuinely impressive performance across the board - usual caveats about review samples apply but nevertheless....

The real interest for me comes when the laptop versions are released, but assuming the relative performance to the desktop versions is more or less the same with this generation, it looks like there might finally be some value in replacing my current 1070-based machine.

Anybody get their hands on a 3080 at release today?
According to a local Best Buy manager they sold out online in 11 seconds!
Also there was never any stock sent to the physical Best Buy stores to sell so not available for local purchase.
New egg and B&H web sites crashed, pitiful launch I guess unless you were a bot.
They should have allowed pre orders with the human verification box to check to cut out the bots.
Also at the Best Buy store before they even opened I heard them tell several people waiting that the PS5 pre orders were sold out as well.
Seems to be a bunch of paper launches going on right now with little actual stock available for sale.

Been a little while since I posted on here, desperate measures as overclockers which I frequent has been dead since the launch. The forums and store are apparently on the same server. Pleased to say I snagged an MSI ventus OC 34 minutes after the launch, sounds late but at the time with the website being mostly down I may have a chance of getting one out of the first shipment as I could not have done it any quicker, and I had all of the details set up for minimum clicks to purchase! Here in UK the question is being asked, did Nvidia ever even have the founders available in this country as within 1 second, the site went from 'notify me' to out of stock. People were notified 10 minutes after selling out!
IMO the only factors to look at on the AIB's are the cooler and the power connections, some have three 8 pins to take it to a crazy 525W card. That may be the only factor which allows overclocking on these, so long as the bios allows it. If it's not a card with extra connections then there will be little to no gain over the basic AIB's which already have good coolers.

Wanted to get an FE so was hammering the ol' F5, but after nearly an hour of it my rate had slowed somewhat. From my perspective, it simply went straight from 'notify me' to 'out of stock' shortly before 3PM, and yes it was about 5 to 10 minutes before the email came through saying "it's here" :rolleyes:

Then, in the selection of four 3rd-party cards they linked to, one was linked to the wrong thing and saying it was something like £279.95, and it took them quite a while to fix it :lol:

Not very impressive.

Nvidia is saying no bot orders, but it looks like there were. There is one on ebay bid up to over $40,000 now. Is this real?
Why these launches do not go to a pre order system with Gotcha anti bot security in place does not make sense.
As a consumer I would be much happier knowing my place in the distribution order was secure even if it meant on a second or 3rd restock than the system they are using now where I am always at a luck of the draw point period and never really any closer to obtaining the sought after product.

It sounds like it was in fact just a launch that completely blew away expectations rather than a paper launch. Even pre-builts with 3080s were selling out almost immediately.

Back