Nvidia New Cards

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 180 comments
Hoping I can pick up a 6800 XT on the 18th.

Same. Every time I try an Nvidia card over the past 15 years, (cause everyone says they are the best) I have issues, severed enough to return/sell them and get a solid AMD card. My 2080 Super will be the last Nvidia for me.

Jerome

Phone Exchange are selling MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trios for £1400 on Amazon, nearly double the RRP. I've already reported them to which for price gouging and I'm on to Amazon now, indiviudals exploiting the market on eBay is one thing, supposedly legitimate businesses doing it is something else. Shameful.

EDIT: same company are also selling the MSI Ventur RTX3080 for £1300. I have looked at reviews and there is at least one person saying they purchased a graphics card and it hasn't been delivered, the reponse from Amazon was "The fulfilment issues associated with this order were not due to the seller" so if anyone does come acriss listing for cards from this seller bear in mind they may not actually have the stock themselves yet.

As an aside, I have actually gone on a bit of a crusade tonight on RTX 3080 listings on Amazon. I've reported a few of them to Amazon after coming across a blog from Amazon that mentions a no tolerance approcah to price gouging. But this blog was written by amazon.com not amazon.co.uk so you can guess what the reponse from amazon.co.uk (where the listings are located) was.

Needless to say the person I did chat to helpfully provided further contact detials and I have send them a rather long email detailing how concerning it is that amazon.com and amazon.co.uk can have two totally different policies and approaches to their tolerance of price gouging.

It probably won't get anywhere but I felt the compelling urge to act. It also kept me busy for a while :lol:.

Last edited:
6800XT looks very interesting, especially if the size claims are correct.

And assuming AMD can actually deliver on something instead of just having some stats to parade around this time.

Well it seems that although the prior 3080ti planned card was axed it seems now that it was done so that an even beefier version could be released to compete more with the Big Navi offerings.
I think overall the 3080 is competitive with the 6800xt but just a bit weak in only having 10g of vram while the 3080ti would again be offered with 20g of the faster gddr6x vram eliminating any weakness in that area.
This offering seems to close the gap performance wise between the 3080 and 3090. Not sure whether a 3090 ti may be coming later and I would guess that the 3070ti 16g vram card could also come back into play which I think was cancelled more because with the original 3080ti being axed they could not at that time release a 3070 with more vram than the 3080.
Granted right now pricing and/or a release date have not been speculated or released.
I would think this 3080ti would be in the neighborhood price wise of the 6900xt give or take a bit depending on actual performance levels.
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-20-gb-graphics-card-specs-leak/

Last edited:
I'm seeing rumors come out about the RTX 3050. Article predicted a price point of $150, but that seems a bit low. Ok maybe not based on the below image.

Plan for now is to get either the 3060 or 3050 Ti, possibly 3060 Ti when they're available. Currently sticking with a 1080P monitor, so these should hold me over for some years. Unless AMD comes out with something competitive to that with a nice price point, which will also be considered.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-expected-to-feature-2304-cuda-cores

Capture1.JPG

Last edited:
I was planning to get a 1660 super in the near future, but if the 3050/3050Ti are as rumoured, I think I would have to wait just a bit longer, as I am also sticking with a 1080p monitor, although at that point, my current CPU (i5 4590) would probably be the bottleneck of the system.

I've managed to order an RTX 3080 GPU, scheduled for delivery this week.

Avoided all the scalpers, managed to get it by being quick to a stock alertt. I think I've paid about £20 more than I could have paid if I kept waiting for a cheaper store but I'm not too bothered by that.

Just waiitng on finding the Ryzen 5900x in stock somewhere reasonablly priced and then I can get started on putting the new PC build together.

I’m still going to keep pushing my GTX 1070 and a 1080p screen for a year or two, especially now with a PS5. A prospect of 3060ti does look intriguing though, but I suspect it will cost $400, which I’m not going to be spending any time soon.

I've finally got my 3080, though not got all of the PC compoents to finish the build yet. Still waiting on the CPU which could be another week or two (if not longer).

It's a bit hefty, but fortunately it comes with it's own support bracket. I ended up with a more base model, the MSI Ventus.

20201124_105447.jpg 20201124_105744.jpg 20201124_105801.jpg 20201124_105827.jpg

I'm itching to buy something, but soon enough I won't have a whole lot of time to use it. If the chart I posted before is accurate, I'll probably be putting myself in a queue next month for a 3060. Rumors are that AMD will also be releasing some new cards in January.

I've given up waiting for supply of new-generation cards, and have just picked up a GTX 1650 to use as an interim card for my son's build. That will at least get him to summer 2021, by which time hopefully the market has sorted its life out.

Quite intrigued by a recent Jayztwocents video which showed a AIB 6800XT card beasting the reference card. Given that £730 for the EVGA 3080 that I picked out for him is the absolute maximum I'm prepared to spend, it may look as if a higher-class 6800XT would be better value than a mid-range 3080.

Last edited:
I've given up waiting for supply of new-generation cards, and have just picked up a GTX 1650 to use as an interim card for my son's build. That will at least get him to summer 2021, by which time hopefully the market has sorted its life out.

Quite intrigued by a recent Jayztwocents video which showed a AIB 6800XT card beasting the reference card. Given that £730 for the EVGA 3080 that I picked out for him is the absolute maximum I'm prepared to spend, it may look as if a higher-class 6800XT would be better value than a mid-range 3080.
If you are not that interested in ray tracing performance then the 6800 XT is a great card.

Last edited:
So now I guess I quietly wait for the 3070 Super/Ti/Ultra/Whatever that has 12gb

The good thing is it'll likely be released before the stock and prices of the cards that were "released" last year become reasonable. Between that whole fiasco and Cyberpunk 2077's rough release, I've learned that waiting for a better deal is actually quite easy!

The good thing is it'll likely be released before the stock and prices of the cards that were "released" last year become reasonable. Between that whole fiasco and Cyberpunk 2077's rough release, I've learned that waiting for a better deal is actually quite easy!
But other reports are stating substantial price increases will be instituted very soon such as possibly as soon as the next inventory restocks to the retailers on all GPU cards, motherboards, ram and other PC components. Also not to mention that the released "msrp" prices are for basically the FE founders edition which production numbers are so low to make that a very hard option to secure.
AIB cards msrp is generally currently running on average of $60-$130 above the FE msrp prices making those the "real" prices you can expect to pay.
Most everything I am seeing or reading is recommending if the opportunity presents itself you will be better off to buy today than wait until later.
Prices are expected to go up and product availability is not expected to improve in the near future.

@VFOURMAX1 have you got a source for that? I haven't seen anything like that mentioned anywhere I usually look.
This is just one you tube tech tuber video on the price increases. Searches should enable you to find multiple content with the talk of price increases, continued stock shortages and latest selling cost at many retailers. Also search manufacturers websites for current msrp prices as well. If you have been following the products that interest you it is easy to see the price increases currently going into effect. I know for a fact that the prices on the EVGA website have taken pretty good price increases in the last few days

Last edited:
This is just one you tube tech tuber video on the price increases. Searches should enable you to find multiple content with the talk of price increases, continued stock shortages and latest selling cost at many retailers. Also search manufacturers websites for current msrp prices as well. If you have been following the products that interest you it is easy to see the price increases currently going into effect. I know for a fact that the prices on the EVGA website have taken pretty good price increases in the last few days

Can see that the EVGA prices on his video are noticably lower than they are on the US website now :(

The EU EVGA website hasn't had any prices changes to 3080 cards (yet), so is this tariff excuse he mentions USA only?

Gamer's Nexus said something similar here:

I "owe" my son a 3080, but it's up to me when I buy it, and based on the games he's currently playing and the screen he's currently using, there's no real urgency. I can wait 9 months at least.

Last edited:
Can see that the EVGA prices on his video are noticably lower than they are on the US website now :(

The EU EVGA website hasn't had any prices changes to 3080 cards (yet), so is this tariff excuse he mentions USA only?
Basically not sure on the tariffs as far as if any other countries other than the U.S. will be affected.
But really many other countries have been paying higher prices all along because of their higher import and VAT taxes so maybe for some products the U.S. is just catching up to what the rest of the world has been paying for some time. But the supply/demand issues and component price increases and shortages along with higher shipping cost will probably affect prices world wide.

Also was a report that tsmc chips had done away with their pricing discount to customers for large quantity purchases which will affect AMD on all of their product cost and the gaming console market will probably be affected as well. TSMC has already sold out all their manufacturing capabilities through 2022 and does not need to give the discounts to be at full capacity for their production facilities.

It may actually end up being in Nvidia's favor long term to be using Samsung chips as far as production is concerned.
Also if Intel gets their new process fully worked out and full production them having their chip production in house could well be to their advaqntage as well.

AMD has all its eggs and all of its product lines currently in the one egg basket which is tsmc chips and that actually greatly controls how much product AMD can deliver to retail suppliers for all the products they produce which may not be a good thing.

Oh, this is nothing new. Yes, prices are definitely going up, but they'll come back down again, I can wait that long.
Many of those close to the industry are starting to believe that these new prices may well be becoming the new normal and that the new "budget"cards which used to be the $200-$250 cards will now be the new $300-$400 cards and so forth with like price increases across the product stack.
Also with the pandemic, world currency uncertainties, and the basically return to the 2017 era interest in those using these cards for mining many do not see prices retracting anytime soon if ever and actually think we may be seeing the "new normal" as far as price points are concerned.

I need an FE card so it doesn't really matter what the partner models do to gouge people.
Good luck on your quest as the FE cards are some of the lowest production number cards being produced period. Those cards remind me of black Friday sales ad TV's where the store only has two and is expecting 100's of customers through the door wanting one at those prices, A teaser to get you in the store and wanting one while hitting you with the bait and switch to the product they actually make a profit on.

Gamer's Nexus said something similar here:
Gamer's Nexus is one site I trust what they say a lot more than other sources, But there are so many sources reporting the same doom and gloom as far as both prices and stock availability in the foreseeable future I really believe that most are convinced of the validity of the claims.

actually think we may be seeing the "new normal" as far as price points are concerned.

Again, if I've understood what you're saying, that's pretty normal as prices have been creeping up forever - I remember when the x80 cards were £300, now they're closer to £800. I still believe the cards that are on the market now will in time return to the original MSRPs, but I suppose time will tell!

Again, if I've understood what you're saying, that's pretty normal as prices have been creeping up forever - I remember when the x80 cards were £300, now they're closer to £800. I still believe the cards that are on the market now will in time return to the original MSRPs, but I suppose time will tell!
I really hope you are right.
My last build completed late fall 2020 which not very top tier but a mid top tier class build the tower cost was about $2600 U.S.D. and after adding in a decent 34" UW monitor, mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse you are looking towards a total system build cost of over 3 thousand dollars.
At what point does the PC gaming market start pricing itself out of the market and at a point that the average PC gamer just says no more and either switches to consoles or just totally gives up gaming?
In my case I would probably give up gaming as the Games I mostly prefer are not console titles but PC only.
The scary part in that is if you lose the high numbers of people buying the components to build systems then the companies lose the incentive to invest heavily in the tech or if they do the lower amount of overall sales will result in even higher prices for those staying in the higher end PC market.

I usually build a new system every 5 or so years and it seems on average the last few builds which each would be on about the same tier concerning level of build as compared to top tier you are looking at about a $500 price increase over the build before it.
As I look at what this last one cost dollar wise I wonder the sanity of spending this much for something to play games on. lol!
One thing is that my gaming preferences are changing except for a few instances and many games I prefer to play now play perfectly on the specs of the system I built 4 years ago so it is a possibility that for this reason and my age I may have done my last build.

But if the pricing does continue to climb skyward I see the PC gaming arena for a system capable of playing modern AAA games shrinking drastically for many not willing to keep spending more and more every time they turn around.

Basically not sure on the tariffs as far as if any other countries other than the U.S. will be affected.
But really many other countries have been paying higher prices all along because of their higher import and VAT taxes so maybe for some products the U.S. is just catching up to what the rest of the world has been paying for some time. But the supply/demand issues and component price increases and shortages along with higher shipping cost will probably affect prices world wide.

Also was a report that tsmc chips had done away with their pricing discount to customers for large quantity purchases which will affect AMD on all of their product cost and the gaming console market will probably be affected as well. TSMC has already sold out all their manufacturing capabilities through 2022 and does not need to give the discounts to be at full capacity for their production facilities.

It may actually end up being in Nvidia's favor long term to be using Samsung chips as far as production is concerned.
Also if Intel gets their new process fully worked out and full production them having their chip production in house could well be to their advaqntage as well.

AMD has all its eggs and all of its product lines currently in the one egg basket which is tsmc chips and that actually greatly controls how much product AMD can deliver to retail suppliers for all the products they produce which may not be a good thing.

I guess it's just down to the US - China trade tantrum, as far as the actual MSRPs go. Maybe if component price increases are significant enough that will change MSRP again, globally, but at this point it's speculation. The other factors affect retailer pricing rather than MSRP, I think.

Does seem AMD is more vulnerable to being tossed around on the waves! Haven't been trying to get one so no idea what prices have been doing on those.

A couple of times I've seen 3090 FE cards in stock at nvidia uk, availability lasts a few hours - of course it's not good price/performance even at msrp, but at least it's at msrp! And not much more than some of these 3rd-party 3080s have been available for... so it rather brings into question how many pricey 3080s could sell, at some point the price becomes too much for a lot of people.

I bought a 1080Ti FE about 3 years ago, and could sell it now for not much under half what I paid, not bad really. Can't see the same being true for these pricey 3080s or any 3090s in 3 years time!

A couple of times I've seen 3090 FE cards in stock at nvidia uk,
What is the 3090 FE out the door price in the UK?
Here in the U.S. the price would be $1499 U.S.D. (which would be equal to 1232 euro) and in my state a 4.3% added sales tax before whatever these latest price increases may be and that would be the total paid delivered to your door.
And they are constantly out of stock in this country also.
I bought a 1080Ti FE about 3 years ago, and could sell it now for not much under half what I paid, not bad really. Can't see the same being true for these pricey 3080s or any 3090s in 3 years time
Maybe not the 3090 at their price point but I could see a 3080 that originally sold for a msrp of $700-$800 U.S. still bringing $350-$400 in that time frame and maybe more if the prices do keep going up.
Even right now with the current lack of supply issues I would not sell my EVGA 3080 bought at the introductory MSRP for twice what I paid for it. I am just thankful I am not still trying to find one.

Last edited:
Back