Nvidia New Cards

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 180 comments

It sounds like it was in fact just a launch that completely blew away expectations rather than a paper launch. Even pre-builts with 3080s were selling out almost immediately.

Maybe, maybe not. Just because tech jesus said it does not make it gospel.
Remember the industry supplies him the products he test to make his living! Might be a case of not biting the hand that feeds you.

I still find it funny that a company as big as Best Buy on a very well advertised National product launch had absolutely no stock as in 0 units to sell in any of its physical stores nationwide.
All sites, not just a few were sold out within seconds, not minutes. Go on the forums or you tube replies and very few cases of anyone saying they actually secured one.
At best case scenario this was one of the worse planned launches of all time, at worst it was a farce as far as real world stock available for sale and done for the media hype.
Regardless as far as consumer goodwill NVIDIA is doing themselves no favors with this joke of a launch and many people do not like Nvidia to begin with.

Every RTX 3080 is sold out?
Along with the just released 3090!
I am thinking that NVIDIA is bumping against the top levels of what the cards are capable of at the current performance levels offered.
I think they are having problems getting enough of a yield of chips that will bin high enough to work at 3080 specs much less 3090 specs out of Samsungs process.
This very well could be one of the main reasons for the shortage of product being available for both the 3080 and 3090 launch.

I think you will not see a 3090 "ti" and the 3080 model will offer very little performance increase but will have the 20g of vram at a cost of at least $1000.

Could still end up being that a 16g 3070ti may end up being the best value card offered overall. Also with the cheaper non x vram and a lower binned chip that has a much better yield the 3070ti may even be available in numbers that you may actually be able to buy one for $600-$650.

This 30 series launch so far has been a big fail for Nvidia reputation wise.
Sure they are selling out of product immediately but it seems very few actual customers are able to buy the product. It has been reported that only about 50 retailers WORLDWIDE had access to any inventory at all for the 3080 launch last week and rumors place the product amount to have only been about 20,000 total for that world wide launch which is a joke in itself.
Perhaps the 3070 launch in the middle of October with its lower binned chips will have a better amount of product available than what we have seen out of the 30 series launch so far.
The main drawback is that on the 3070 with the older slower non x ram I believe waiting for the 16g version to be available rather than buy the launch edition with only 8g vram would be a better move to have some longevity to top performance from the card for future games.

It is a great time for the new tech and its advancements in capabilities but at the same time terrible for actually obtaining a lot of this tech. This goes for the cpu's as well as the gpu's.

Users are reporting crashing issues with certain 3080 cards. Ouch

GeForce RTX 3080 owners on ComputerBase, LinusTechTips, Overclockers.co.uk, and other communities are voicing their concerns about a potential issue with green team’s flagship graphics card. There are increasing reports of games crashing back to the desktop whenever the GPU exceeds clock rates of 2.0 GHz.

At least a handful of games and SKUs (e.g., EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 GAMING, MSI GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC, ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity) appear to be affected. It isn’t clear just how widespread this issue is, but users have confirmed that their cards haven’t been overclocked. The appropriate power supplies are also being used (i.e., 750 watt or better).

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...crashing-games-at-higher-clock-rates-2-0-ghz/

This article may better explain the reasons for the crashes.
Supposedly none of the Fe cards are crashing and at least one AIB card seems immune as well. This article tells what those two cards have in common and what the difference is on the failing cards.

Seems more of an attempt at a possible cost saving by some aib cards designs and perhaps not a problem with the original Nvidia design or application.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-founders-edition-review-a-great-step-ahead-and-the-gravestone-for-turing/12/

I wonder if the RTX3090 is worth it compared to the cheaper RTX3080?

Nevermind, I found several youtube clips about the RTX3080 vs the RTX3090 and the extra 10 fps (maximum) is not really worth all that extra money.

Last edited:
For gaming, unless you plan to game at 8k I don't think there is even a 20% perfromance benefit between the 3090 and the 3080. I've seen the fps of some games increasing as little as 6% over the 3080. But the 3090 can be SLI'd and I think it will be very popular amongst 3d modellers and animators.

These 3000 series cars, as impressive as they are at games, seem to have been designed to be more multi-purpose in nature that raw gaming performance. And I thnk the professional envirmnet rather than a gaming one is where the biggest gains from the 3080 to the 3090 lie. I can't imagine many people being desperate to replace thier 3080 after 3-4 years.

The new AMD cards are being unveiled officially this month so it'll be interesting to see what they pull out of the hat.

It's about time! I hope the new AMD cards are worthy.

Jerome

I hope I can buy something soon. I'm waiting for the releases and there are no cards for sale. AMD will probably have more. We'll see. But I think I want a RTX 3060 or 3050, if such a thing will exist.

edit: Actually, I would mainly need it for Cyberpunk and that's not looking likely. Afterwards, work will pick up so I'll have a few months.

Last edited:
I hope I can buy something soon. I'm waiting for the releases and there are no cards for sale. AMD will probably have more. We'll see. But I think I want a RTX 3060 or 3050, if such a thing will exist.

edit: Actually, I would mainly need it for Cyberpunk and that's not looking likely. Afterwards, work will pick up so I'll have a few months.

3060 will happen. Galax (Palit; Taiwanese AIB partner) showed off a slide, showing it'll be on par if not better than the 2080/2080 Super.

This:

GALAX-GeForce-RTX-30-Roadmap-e1600832023417.jpg

Last edited:
According to this article, the PG142 SKU O will be the RTX3070 Super or Ti.

Oh, I should have mentioned that. The 3070 will (eventually) be available in two flavors: 8 and 16GB, the latter is likely the Super, Ti, Ultra, or whatever else nVidia comes up with/decides to resurrect. The 3080, as seen, same story: 10 and 20GB.

The extra 10GB of the RTX3080 is necessary when you play at high resolutions like a triple monitor or HMD?

Just read an article of there is a rumor already of a mid cycle refresh next year of the 3080 and 3090 using TSMC chips and calling it a super or something instead of the the currently used Samsung chips.
Another take on it is that this could be an early release sometime next year of the next iteration of the Nvidia GPU lineup which s believed to be called Hopper instead of being a mid cycle refresh.
Seems quick for new cards but since the 30 series Ampere cards were originally supposed to release in the spring/early summer of this year but was delayed by covid 19 then a late 2021 release of the new cards would not be considered as quick if they are actually trying to get back on their original r&d and release schedule set before the covid delays.

Does make it hard for the consumer to know what to try to do purchase wise.
Also add on top of that the latest rumors are now also saying that the 16g 3070 and 20g 3080 are possibly scheduled for a mid to late December release muddies the water even more.

The extra 10GB of the RTX3080 is necessary when you play at high resolutions like a triple monitor or HMD?

Hm. I actually don't know how important video memory is for VR, but it's definitely important at higher resolutions.

Hm. I actually don't know how important video memory is for VR, but it's definitely important at higher resolutions.
As VR is something I have been researching for quite some time what I have gathered is that some games are very demanding on VR and in particular on the higher resolution headsets with the higher refresh rates and that the vram can be very important to getting top results.
Some games that are not optimized as well for VR will tax even the very best hardware past its limits. This is one area that seemed to be a likely area that the new 3080 and 3090 cards would be a welcome addition.
Everything I had read was for high end VR to either buy the 3090 or wait for the 20g 3080 release as going into the future for sure the 10g 3080 would fall short trying to use high settings in the game.

The 3080 20gb is probably going to be not much cheaper than the 3090. It will be cheaper of course but not that much, so the 3090 is not that bad of a choice if one wants to game using the maximum setting on a triple (1080p) monitor setup or using HMDs.

Last edited:
The 3080 20gb is probably going to be not much cheaper than the 3090. It will be cheaper of course but not that much, so the 3090 is not that bad of a choice if one wants to game using the maximum setting on a triple (1080p) monitor setup of using HMDs.

Agreed. I recall one of the YouTubers (Jayztwocents maybe) saying that the GGDR6 is one of the main cost-drivers of the 3000-series cards. It would make sense for a 20GB 3080 to be just over the £1000 mark, just as the 2080 Ti was.

Well I finally have a completed and confirmed order for an EVGA 3080 series card. Been a bit of a wait but hopefully worthwhile.
I will say if you are in the U.S.A to sign up on the EVGA site for the auto notify and you are put in queue like a preorder and when the product you want is available and you are next in line they will send you an e-mail giving you 8 hours to complete the purchase.

This system works as I was just able to complete and get a confirmed order for a 3080.
Beats the heck out of trying to beat bots or hitting multiple web sites daily to only see out of stock.
My experience through EVGA says stock on these cards is being made available and I am glad my attempt to actually get a confirmed completed order is now over and a done deal.
I have been buying EVGA cards for 20+ years and have always been pleased and so far have never had a failure on one of their cards.

I'm getting interested in the new 6000 series of the red team.
Will be interesting to see the actual comparison between the new Nvidia and AMD cards by 3rd party benchmark testing under the same conditions and testing criteria.
AMD just like Nvidia or any other company from a self marketing or promoting standpoint uses testing methods that make their cards look the absolute best as compared to the competitions offerings.
I did notice on many of the charts that the AMD results were posted with rage mode and/or smart access memory both which are either a boost or oc that improves the performance of the AMD card while the Nvidia cards of course were stock speeds with no over clocks or boost engaged.

It does look like AMD has taken a huge step though in being competitive with Nvidia above the mid range tier where they have been until now. The 6800xt does look like the card to buy from the performance/value aspect of their current reveal.

Personally I wanted to stay with the Nvidia feature set which includes the better 2nd generation ray tracing and DLSS upscaling but seeing actual competition across the product stack by both companies will end up being a win for the consumer in the long run.
Nice to have choices in all tiers of the GPU line.

My PC build was destined to have the RTX2080 Super, this became no longer available during the build, so it's been upgraded to the 3070 to avoid any further delays... couple of hundred pounds cheaper. 3080 might have been an option but it was a longer wait.

Back