Official GT Blog: "Pit Stop" by Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 2,207 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a state of mind that anticipates undesirable outcomes. The opposite of optimism.

Surprisingly i'm aware of the meaning of the word, what does it have to do with what I said? Do you think the blog has reached its potential over the last 18 months?

It's a state of mind that anticipates undesirable outcomes. The opposite of optimism.
He didnt ask for the meaning of the word. He means reason why you saying that to him.

Again, this blog is a rather waste. Atleast make it like any other official news/blog for specific games with a monthly photo and development progress besides whatever currently in Pitstop is.

The delay is completely insulting.

Surprisingly i'm aware of the meaning of the word, what does it have to do with what I said? Do you think the blog has reached its potential over the last 18 months?

You asked why you weren't surprised that the blog didn't realise it's potential, so I suggested pessimism.
As far as blogs go, I suppose it's ok. Blogs dont really excite me, so I wasn't expecting anything that isn't there. Perhaps they lost interest due to the negativity expressed in many of the reader's comments?

You asked why you weren't surprised that the blog didn't realise it's potential, so I suggested pessimism.
As far as blogs go, I suppose it's ok. Blogs dont really excite me, so I wasn't expecting anything that isn't there. Perhaps they lost interest due to the negativity expressed in many of the reader's comments?

Well it took you three posts to get there. Perhaps I was expecting it to be weak, doesn't mean I'm not disappointed it turned out that way. The potential was there, I guess it still is, but they've not made the most of it so far, whether I was expecting it or not.

If there was negativity in the comments, it's not like there aren't ways to avoid that. Namely, disabling comments or reacting to the feedback.

Let's see, maybe it will pick up and they'll make use of it for the life of GTS.

Its... a blog. What are they going to put on there that'll be a 'hit' with people? It doesnt seem like a big news source, but a casual site talking about various things related to GT. What do other racing games do as a parallel to the pitstop blog? I dont pay much attention so that's not a rhetorical question. Is there a 'blog' or something similar for games like Forza or Project Cars?

Let's see, maybe it will pick up and they'll make use of it for the life of GTS.
I'd say this is pretty likely, they didn't really have too much to talk about with GT6.

What do other racing games do as a parallel to the pitstop blog?

Forza has this:

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news

They have a lot of the same sort of tangentially related motoring stuff, but they also have at least weekly articles about what's going on in the game. Not dissimilar to what we have here on GTP with the Spotlight. It's an extra layer of communication and feedback about that game that the Pitstop doesn't offer.

Codies have this:

http://blog.codemasters.com/

Similar again, but Codies tend to be even more focused on their games. They actually have some pretty interesting stuff about how they make them, how they arrive at their design choices, and what they're working on in general. Quite informative if you're looking to keep up with what they're working on. Their main project is an Early Access at the moment, so I think it's a good choice to keep the players in the loop.

There are examples from other genres too. Not every developer does it, but nowadays a lot of the major ones do. It's a cheap way of retaining customers and building goodwill. What most of them do that the Pitstop doesn't is talk about the game specifically, what's going on, what they're working on, how they made it and so on. The Pitstop did a little bit, but now it's mostly limited to announcing features and such, basically marketing stuff only.

Personally, I still think that Blizzard is one of the best at communicating this sort of stuff. They do some great interviews and presentations with their lead devs where they explain why a game was built a certain way, why it turned out to be a terrible idea and not fun at all, and how they're looking at fixing it. Other game companies should take note that not only is it OK to say "Yeah, we know, this part of our game kind of sucks, sorry. We'll get right on that", but your customers will actually love you for it.

Its... a blog. What are they going to put on there that'll be a 'hit' with people? It doesnt seem like a big news source, but a casual site talking about various things related to GT. What do other racing games do as a parallel to the pitstop blog? I dont pay much attention so that's not a rhetorical question. Is there a 'blog' or something similar for games like Forza or Project Cars?

Talking about the game/series itself. That is all I wanted and expected. They started out well enough, but like the old blog it just fizzled out. I certainly wasn't expecting daily entries and huge insights into future plans but as Imari says it is quite common for dev blogs to be updated fortnightly or monthly, just with an update on what is generally going on. Then it's also common to get posts when there is a patch or update to the game, to actually explain why they've changed what they did, or what they've added, in detail.

That is the sort of thing I was hoping for. So when we get an update with "Updated physics for various MR cars" or whatever, there would be a blog post going into detail exactly what that means, why they changed what they did and which cars. For DLC, a deeper explanation into the car choices.

Then you can have the fun, community stuff. Setting up small competitions, posting stuff in game they like (again as Imari says, similar to the rewind article here).

So much potential is there.

My take is with gt6 is nearing its end, there isnt much to talk about on there. In-game you get the ocassional seasonal events in the "news" section or notice of maintenance/updates etc. To me, thats sufficient along with this blog. Of course GT Sport is coming in a few months so theres time to get more content on the blog about that. I just dont see the big deal with the sparse entries on GT itself. I guess to some they need to be in the know about whats to come, whats going on or whatever. I just dont care that much to be upset about how its gone so far. Its got time to play a bigger role in future GT titles, maybe it will?

Well now it's pretty late, yes, but from a quick browse through they stopped posting about GT6 long ago. I'm not upset, it is just a blog after all, it's just disappointing knowing what it could have been, that's all. Like I say, let's see if they pick it up again during GTS.

The problem is PD's development is so slow, even if they post regular updates of what's happening people will lose interest before the content is actually released, in addition to killing any element of surprise. As it is, we are kept in the dark, but when stuff is released at least it's a surprise.

I'm not saying PD's lack of communication is good. But even if they open up their communication it won't magically solve all the problems people have with the GT series. IMO they need to do 2 things: hire more staff & take community feedback into account.

Not surprised the latest post on the blog didn't make the English version.

Also not surprised people react negatively to it. This is Gtplanet afterall.

Looking forward (assuming) to the Christmas Seasonal notification coming in the next few days.

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/2408
20151216_season1_05.jpg

Year-end holiday seasonal events. Time trial with X2014 Fan car at Circuito de la Sierra? That looks insane.

get

Anything near that car's power is undrivable at Sierra for me. And then the barely driveable X2014 Fan car? Yeah, I'm out.
More painful than being Whammed.

Felt like trolling. Last year was a nice VGT with some really nice Video. Now you got THIS?!?

More painful than being Whammed.

Felt like trolling. Last year was a nice VGT with some really nice Video. Now you got THIS?!?

There's still Christmas so its not a total loss. Its just one event I'm not taking part in.

Marginally less insane than the Tomahawk X event at Nurburgring, but it's still going to turn lots of people's hair grey.

I'm more peeved that the 15 million credits is going to waste. I've reached the credit limits for a couple of months now due to not having any new VGTs to buy (I've bought all existing VGTs in all colours already) :grumpy:

Marginally less insane than the Tomahawk X event at Nurburgring, but it's still going to turn lots of people's hair grey.

I'm more peeved that the 15 million credits is going to waste. I've reached the credit limits for a couple of months now due to not having any new VGTs to buy (I've bought all existing VGTs in all colours already) :grumpy:
Buy the GT40 Race Car like i did.

Buy the GT40 Race Car like i did.

I bought all 20 million cars already. Also bought all version of Red Bulls. Plus 800 other cars that I ever want to own. Also bought every racing suit item. There's literally no other thing that I can buy in this game. I've been equipping every car with NOS just to waste credits so I don't hit the cap, but that's such a dull effort.

I just want my Bugatti and Hyundai VGTs :grumpy:

Would you take part if want you to drive the Tomahawk X instead? :mischievous:

Are you trying to make me break my G27? :lol:

I love this because PD are clearly sadists :lol:

Where is all this ballziness when it comes to there games? Its like they do nothing all that special but every once in a while, they go all Jack Nicholson on us. I'm not taking a walk on the wild side. The Tomahawk X at the Nurburgring was enough.

Could be worse, it could be the Tomahawk X.

After reading that it also rains, I'm not sure I feel any better about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back