Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

Mike Rotch, the mod I idolise the most. He`s the best. (Oh, I will say that after each and every staff interview. Exept the "Mike Rotch" part...)

At least the word "watches" made one appearance... I thought you have more than 17/18 watches. But I see, quality over quantity.

Best use of gifs so far. :lol:👍

Last edited:
The recognition of new faces will continue, but this month we're going to put a little spin on the whole concept; and until the end of the month we're going to spin things more quickly as the number of interviews will increase to 3 for the next two weeks. There are only a select number of individuals capable of upholding this new concept; those that don't cower in the face of fame, those that don't regress when presented with the opportunity to shout from a rooftop "I'm better than you... on the internet!".

Those who live, breathe, and exhale the very essence of what makes GTPlanet the place that it has become and will continue to be - these are the approved traits of the archetype known only as The GTPlanet Illuminati, er, I mean the GTPlanet Moderation Staff and incidentally, the GTPlanet Member of the Week.

Two birds with one stone? Say it isn't so!

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the second in the long line of staff interviews, niky!

1. First and foremost, this is a most special month for all of us involved in the workings of GTPlanet and I thought it was time for us to bare it all, allowing the community at large an opportunity to see us for who we all really are - which of course means you're officially GTPlanet's Member of the Week! Are you excited? Explosions!

Who are you? What are you doing in my house? Is that a bomb? Are you a terrorist?

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and was there ever a time before you took on the badge where you thought to yourself "I'd like to do that" only to then immediately regret said thought ever coming to mind?

Well, I've moderated elsewhere, but the work done by Duke, Famine et al has always struck me as exceptional. I've never actually thought about moderating a board as tough as this one, but it's flattering to be asked!

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

Used to be the drift forums. That place needs a lot of love. And perhaps a full-time nanny, guidance counselor and parole officer.

Nowadays, Opinions. Because it's fun getting into arguments where the most aggressive response is a velvet glove thrown at your face and pistols at dawn.

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

To be honest, I hated Gran Turismo when it first came out. Too hard. Too much like work. And then GT3 came out. So many cars! So many colors! So much to do! I went from being the guy who only played GT because his friends did, and always losing two-player races, to the guy nobody wanted to play with.

5. How did you come up with the name "niky"?

I polled twenty people and asked them what they called me. It wasn't hard. If I'd polled my old Counterstrike buddies, it would have been "You Backstabbing Son of a 🤬"

6. There's no controversy here so what's your flavor: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, neither, both, or something else altogether?

I don't own an X-Bro, so that's pointless. The answer is, of course, Auto Modellista.

7. What was your initial reaction when the badge was presented to you?

"Who are you? What are you doing in my house? Is that a bomb? Are you a terrorist?"

After that, though... thanks!

8. GTP 12 is up and about, what are your thoughts?

It looks and feels fantastic, obviously. Some old things are sorely missed, and some could use improvement, but Jordan has been rolling upgrades out left and right. I'm loving it.

9. Gran Turismo 6 is finally here, what are you thoughts so far?

I'm so busy in real life nowadays that I've only ever driven GT6 for work, and I got my ass handed to me there by a twelve year old. I think it's a vast improvement over GT5 in terms of feel... I'm saying that because my clumsy hands got me in a tank-slapper around SECA. Still not perfect. The tire models aren't right, but no console sim has that right, so no big deal.

10. Talk a little about what you think you bring to GTPlanet and how you think you can continue to improve.

I bring lots of green text. And perhaps a friendlier face than that Terronium T12 fellow to the inmates. Having watched The LEGO Movie for the twentieth time last night, I'm wondering if I should improve my "Good Cop, Bad Cop" schtick.

11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon - as early as this month to be exact - what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?

I'm actually looking forward to "Absolute Drift", as that looks kind of fun and pretty stylish. That other cheap drift title with the pixels and rainbows? Nah. The car movement looks strange. If I wanted a pixel drifter, it'd be full isometric or nothin'.

Beyond that, Kingdom Hearts has always warmed my heart, and it'll be interesting to see what Horizon 2 and Drive Club are like. Sims? Wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot pole. Nothing would ever get done in this house.

Mario Kart? Since he sold out, Mario has been dead to me.

12. With the next generation of all things video gaming upon us, have you made any plans to pick up a PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U?

Perhaps the Wii, for the kids. But a new console is not on the books for the moment.

13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

Six feet underwater every three years. Also, on a totally unrelated note, the fish is very cheap.

14. If given the opportunity, if even for a moment, what would you do with GTPlanet?

More bewbs. But more seriously, more girl gamers. We're one of the more female-friendly boards out there, but they're few and far between. There's a vast untapped market out there, and in ten years time, it would be nice if my daughters could come over and visit.

15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?

Don't tell anyone, but I'm a hypermiler.

16. You are producing a 12-episode drama series for the BBC. The show can be anything you want and you can cast any living actors you want. What would it be and who would you cast?

"A Day at the Races," chronicling the lives of a racing crew at the Nurburgring 24 Hours. And it would have to be a dramedy, featuring the heartwarming hijinks of a bunch of losers working in the worst garage in the pits. Starring Nathan Fillion as Henry O'Henry, the manly, over-the-hill head driver, Morgan Freeman as John, the tempermental manager, Benedict Cumberbatch as Peter Smith, the up-and-coming young ace looking to steal Henry's job, Simon Pegg as drunken head mechanic Sam Riggs and Rupert Grint as mechanic Danny O'Toole.

There'd be the drinking episode, the garage fire episode, the accident episode (complete with violins over a slow-motion crash and explosion... "Where's Henry? I can't see him? Good Lord! *tears*"), and the penultimate episode where Danny O'Toole has a post-hangover nervous breakdown and staggers onto the racetrack in the predawn light (I know the race ends in the afternoon, but we only have twelve episodes!) and is saved from being killed at the last minute by the girl who left him the day before. (actress to be announced)

17. What are the maximum number of points you've issued any one person for breaking the rules?

At one time, thirty-five. He deserved it. Well... they deserved it... I've given several people that number.
18. Some would say our position is a lucrative one, others would say it's an excuse for us to be internet "tough guys" - what would your response be to both of these assumptions?

Well. Duh. :D

But seriously, bullies take things way too personally. The only way to last here is to maintain a rigid separation between being a moderator and being a member. Take things too personally, and you're bound to have a breakdown sooner or later.

19. How envious are you to have never owned the 2.2L Camry knowing it can defeat all, perhaps even end the US national debt, world hunger, purge Chernobyl, and a lot more?

There's evidence that Toyota spent all of Japan's leftover wartime booty, as well as alien technology gathered from the debris left after various Godzilla movies, on the "Hail Mary" that was the 2.2 Camry.

Look, it's scientific fact. Just look at the price of the thing:
081711%20Camry%20Inflation%20-%20AO-thumb-580x387-97164.jpg

That Camry was the most expensive ever, because it was over-engineered to hell and back, and is responsible for Toyota's reputation for reliability.

But no... I'm more disappointed that I don't have a garage full of MX3s.

20. With all the bickering about Forza vs Gran Turismo, how about we get to the real question; which is better, F-Zero or WipEout?

Ask me again in a week. I'm driving the new F0 in a few days.
BYD_F0_001_China_2012-05-20.JPG

For the impatient, obviously SpyHunter.

21. Have you ever been stalked or threatened with legal action because you're a moderator here?

Except for you, no. Elsewhere, we did have that one guy who dug up our names. And then he got shot and killed (by someone else) for being a total dick, so I guess I'm safe.

22. If you were to indulge in the art of boutique car manufacturing what would your mission statement be?

"Nulla dives invia est via" (For the rich, no road is impassable). But really, if I were building for myself, I'd be building ultra-light fabric-skinned road cars on the theme: "Adventure is OUT THERE." Dogs come separately.

23. Dream scenario: Fernando Alonso vs. Alain Prost, who do you think comes out on top?

Alonso will win, comfortably. Unless Prost crashes into him on the penultimate lap. Which, let's be honest, is the most likely outcome.

24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?

Orange.

25. What would you look for in bringing a new face into our elusive fold of moderator insanery?

A strong constitution. And a profound hate of metrosexual Miatas. To bring editorial balance to our little commune, you understand.

26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

It wasn't green.

27. When was the last time you listened to a soundtrack and was unexpectedly surprised by it?

I'd say "Guardians of the Galaxy", but I knew it would be kick-ass from the very first movie trailer.

28. Who is/are your favourite fictional character(s), and why?

Remo Williams. He's like Spiderman with the wisecracks, only more lethal.

They ought to make the movie (the last one didn't count), preferably with Nathan Fillion, before it's too late.

29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: years, months, weeks, days, hours?

A few months. Got caught up with doing that thing they call "a job."

30. Are you illegal in any number of states or entire countries?

I'm pretty sure there's a warrant out for my arrest in Latveria.

31. What's one significant change you'd like to see made to racing games in the next five years or so?

proper tire modelling. And not just the tires, but a modelling of the effects of rin width and sidewall stretch on handling.

Also, perhaps more cheap 3D options, like that cardboard Google 3D system. Having a smartphone linked up to your console or computer as a 3D display would be just brilliant.

32. Now it's time for the "Moderator Special": the entire staff has been away on leave for several weeks on business and you're the only active staffer left standing, what do you do?

Back in the day when I was the only Pacific-area mod, that was pretty common. Nowadays, I think I'd suddenly *cough* develop *technical difficulties* and lose internet for a month.

On a more realistic note, I'd recruit a bunch of replacement mods. Probably from the drift and drag forums.

33. What was your favorite game show growing up?

I'd say "The Price is Right", but that would reveal my age. I'll stick with a safe "Jeopardy"

34. How many electronic devices do you own, and is there anything out there that you've been eyeing for some time now but just havent' pulled the trigger on yet?

Two obsolete netbooks, two broken netbooks, a Laptop, an idle PS3, two broken digital cameras, one barely working one, one horrid dashcam, a non-horrid GoPro, a 21" touchscreen Android desktop and a smartphone (first one in yeaaaaars).

Yes, a touchscreen head-unit. Preferably with a new car attached to it.

35. If the 90's were good to you for any reason, reminisce a little - what's your favorite memory?

1. Playing in a band, for the first time, on stage at a bar, improvising bass line on a song I didn't know (and me not ever having played bass before... ouchies my fingers).

2. First drive on the road, on a mountain pass at night, in the fog.

3. When she said yes.

36. Anything else you'd like to say?

It's been a pleasure being here. Lots of people kvetch that social media is pushing people further apart... bull 🤬... maybe Twitter is replacing actual, real-live conversation with billions of attempts at clever one-liners, but forums, they're an opportunity to make every conversation a meaningful conversation. And after you've had them, you can go back and enjoy them again, over and over.

Which is why I think it's important to put some meaning into everything we do and say here. This isn't Facebook, where searching for what someone said on someone else's status last week is a monumental task, and searching for something said last month impossible. What you say and do here will be open for all to see for decades to come.

So make it count.

Haha, great read, Niky. 👍

'A Day at The Races' must happen! :lol: But where's the female interest?

Excellent read @niky. Congrats. :cheers:

Also if "A Day at the Races" does happen and to echo AT, it really must. I'd like to apply for the role of generic race fan #17. 'Kay, thanks.

Last edited:
niky, the mod I idolise the most. He`s the best. (Oh, I will say that after each and every staff interview. Exept the "niky" part...)

Your answers are so, so, so green! 👍

Thank you, thank you all. :D

where's the female interest?

I was thinking Emma Watson for the girlfriend, but then that would be typecasting the couple.

Ideally, I'd also have Kristin Scott Thomas as Henry O' Henry's wife:

"Aren't you scared when he's out on the track, luv?"

"Have you seen how Henry is with women? I'm living like a widow already."

But she's a bit too old at this point. :P

The recognition of new faces will continue, but this month we're going to put a little spin on the whole concept; and until the end of the month we're going to spin things more quickly as the number of interviews will increase to 3 for the next two weeks. There are only a select number of individuals capable of upholding this new concept; those that don't cower in the face of fame, those that don't regress when presented with the opportunity to shout from a rooftop "I'm better than you... on the internet!".

Those who live, breathe, and exhale the very essence of what makes GTPlanet the place that it has become and will continue to be - these are the approved traits of the archetype known only as The GTPlanet Illuminati, er, I mean the GTPlanet Moderation Staff and incidentally, the GTPlanet Member of the Week.

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the second in the long line of staff interviews, Touring Mars!

1. First and foremost, this is a most special month for all of us involved in the workings of GTPlanet and I thought it was time for us to bare it all, allowing the community at large an opportunity to see us for who we all really are - which of course means you're officially GTPlanet's Member of the Week! Are you excited? Explosions!
Yeh, thanks for the opportunity to take part!
2. What brought you to GTPlanet and was there ever a time before you took on the badge where you thought to yourself "I'd like to do that" only to then immediately regret said thought ever coming to mind?
I came to GTPlanet because I was getting into GT3 at the time and was looking for some info and to make a bit more out of the game by joining a community of like-minded players. I don’t recall ever thinking I would like to be a moderator here but by the time Jordan invited me to join it felt like a good idea!
3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?
I reckon it must be the Opinions and Current Events forum – I like talking about what is going on in the world beyond Gran Turismo. It’s a bit different now since social media sites are now commonplace, but GTPlanet has always been a brilliant place to talk about anything, from personal matters to the important (and not so important!) issues of the day.
I’ve played racing games my whole life, from Scalextric to Pole Position in the arcades when I was a kid. By the time the Playstation came out, however, I already considered computer games as an activity that I’d left behind in favour of other things, but ‘Formula One’ piqued my interest and my cousin and I both got a PS1 with Formula One for Christmas in ’96. Shortly after that, we both bought Gran Turismo and I loved it from the word go. But really, had F1 not been so amazing and had it not had Murray Walker commentating, I may not have got back into computer gaming at that point and I may have missed the Gran Turismo boat, so to speak. So yeh, it was Murray Walker.
5. How did you come up with the name "Touring Mars", and more importantly is your choice of identity indicative of your... extraterrestrial nature? Alien!
It’s an anagram of Gran Turismo ;) Of all the possible anagrams, it seemed to reflect some of my other interests the best (e.g. space/astronomy etc.). It was either that or ‘Turin Orgasm’.
6. There's no controversy here so what's your flavor: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, neither, both, or something else altogether?
90% GT, 10% Forza. Forza is brilliant, but I don’t have time to play it – I hardly have time to play GT any more either. I can’t help but be a bit partisan, however, since I’m a Playstation person through and through (although I have an Xbox 360 too). I’ve always suspected that Forza is a GT clone – they even had to use an Italian word too… *roll eyes*! But there’s no escaping that it’s a superb game – better than GT in a lot of ways, but GT edges it for me because of my history with the series and the fact that I use my PS3 a lot more than I use my Xbox.
Surprise!
The forums have never looked or worked better – as a member of the forums for over ten years, and a member of staff for a good few of those, I’m delighted to see the forums not just surviving, but positively thriving.
It’s superb, but I bought it knowing full well I would not play it much - I just can’t justify the time expenditure to get into it as deeply as previous games. That has meant that instant playability and accessibility has become a lot more important to me, and I love just jumping in to new cars and testing out new tracks. I do still find it hard to get a close, realistic race against the AI without having to experiment for ages with cars and set-ups though, and when you can only set aside an hour or so here and there for gaming, that makes it a bit difficult. But it’s still a must have title for me.
10. Talk a little about what you think you bring to GTPlanet and how you think you can continue to improve.
Lol, this sounds like a job interview. I hang out at GTPlanet these days mostly for the craic and because it’s a great place to interact with like-minded people. I hope that I bring a bit of good-humoured conversation and a bit of considered opinion to the forums if not much else. As for continuing to improve, I don’t know that I’m really trying to do that – the truth is that I would love to spend more time on the forums and get into the game as much as I once did, but my job, social life and other interests (esp. music) mean that I am already pushing my luck spending as much time on the forums as I do already!
11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon - as early as this month to be exact - what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?
Sadly, the truth is nothing – I’m out of the loop on other games completely. If a new Wipeout game was to arrive, I would buy it instantly, and I’m still a big fan of Final Fantasy, but aside from Gran Turismo 7, my computer games shopping list is blank. I may buy a PS4 at some point, though.
12. I can't help but notice the Robin Williams avatar - such a tragedy, that. He brought about so much happiness to those familiar with his work yet he was dealing with some issues I don't think I've ever heard of before. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Robin Williams was a comic genius and a unique individual. He deserved to enjoy his later years and/or retirement in peace and comfort with his family and friends, but alas it didn’t turn out that way for him, which is a terrible shame. Still, one can only look at what he achieved in his life with tremendous admiration.
Edinburgh is a beautiful and historic city with a volcano slap bang in the middle of town. One of the pubs I frequent there is over 500 years old. Edinburgh has the largest arts festival in the world with thousands of shows on over the month of August (although I am going to none of them!) Edinburgh is also home to the world’s greatest football (soccer) team, Heart Of Midlothian FC.
(One of those statements may be slightly inaccurate.)
14. If given the opportunity, if even for a moment, what would you do with GTPlanet?
Sell it. :P
Since about May last year, I’ve been writing and recording my own music (see my signature for more details!!).
16. You are producing a 12-episode drama series for the BBC. The show can be anything you want and you can cast any living actors you want. What would it be and who would you cast?
I would commission Alan Partridge (Steve Coogan) to fulfil his dream of having a BBC series called ‘Swallow’ - Swallow is a detective who tackles vandalism, he’s a bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it's necessary. He's not a criminal, you know, but he will, perhaps, travel 80mph on the motorway if, for example, he wants to get somewhere quickly...
17. Seeing as we're baring all this month, I have no shame in admitting we've had a run-in once before albeit for... well something obscene and/or explicit, did you ever think I'd come around to the side of moderating insanity?
I don’t have any recollection of that, although that does tend to happen after you’ve handed out a few hundred warnings or whatever (as I’m sure you are well aware by now!). I think anyone who is active on the forums and willing to contribute to the community in a constructive way would make a good member of the moderation staff of any forum, even if they might have fallen foul of a moderator or two in the dim and distant past.
18. Some would say our position is a lucrative one, others would say it's an excuse for us to be internet "tough guys" - what would your response be to both of these assumptions?
Not sure what you mean by lucrative really, so I’ll skip that one. As for ‘an excuse for us to be internet tough guys’, I don’t agree with that and it’s not something I’m comfortable with. I think the forums benefit hugely from clear rules and a moderation team that are not afraid to enforce them, but at the same time I think the forums would suffer badly if many (or indeed any) of the mod team actually wanted to be ‘tough guys’.
19. Casino Royale or Skyfall?
Casino Royale.
20. With all the bickering about Forza vs Gran Turismo, how about we get to the real question; which is better, F-Zero or WipEout?
WipEout is better than everything, so it must be better than F-Zero.
21. Have you ever been stalked or threatened with legal action because you're a moderator here?
Not that I’m aware of!
22. If you were to indulge in the art of boutique car manufacturing what would your mission statement be?
I can’t think of anything that doesn’t sound horribly corny. Or like an advert for Irn Bru.
23. If site moderation was a paid job, would any of you give up your current positions/ occupations to do it full time providing the pay was acceptable?
No - there are vastly more important/interesting things to do than moderator an intenet forum. That said, if it were a part of a larger role, such as working for Sony or a games developer, I’d definitely consider it.
24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?
8 (but I act like a 2).
25. What would you look for in bringing a new face into our elusive fold of moderator insanery?
Someone with an approachable manner – and plenty of free time!
26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?
Don’t know if it was my very first post, but I posted something about going for 100% race wins versus ‘a challenge’. Perhaps it was a little too sincere – I’m a lot more relaxed about posting here now (of course), but on new sites where I’m just passing through, I still feel that ‘noob horror’ of not wishing to appear like a total cretin.
27. When was the last time you listened to a soundtrack and was unexpectedly surprised by it?
Probably Final Fantasy XIII by Masashi Hamauzu - some really fantastic musicianship in there.
28. In case you haven't heard, /Drive recently adopted a PPV model with /Drive+ - $3.99 per month for episodes ranging from 10-15 minutes in length whereas the older channel where this same content was originally hosted has been shortened to 3-4 minutes in total. Do you think this was a wise decision on their behalf or does it just alienate and/or segregate viewers?
I’ve never heard of it!
29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: years, months, weeks, days, hours?
Haha, good question – gone a few weeks during holidays/conferences, but now with smartphones, wi-fi, and modern technology, I rarely go a full day without logging on.
Not that I know of - unless “Touring Mars” is a euphemism for something rude that I’m not aware of.
31. What's one significant change you'd like to see made to racing games in the next five years or so?
Don’t know really – maybe subscription-based access to a whole series of games, like being able to play all GT games on one console for £5 a month until you reach the full cost of the latest game, or something.
32. Now it's time for the "Moderator Special": the entire staff has been away on leave for several weeks on business and you're the only active staffer left standing, what do you do?
I’d try to assemble a team of volunteers who’d be willing to help out in the meantime.
Blankety Blank with Terry Wogan.
34. How many electronic devices do you own, and is there anything out there that you've been eyeing for some time now but just havent' pulled the trigger on yet?
Around 20… got a bit of a shopping list which includes an iPad/tablet, a guitar amp, a new PC for music stuff, and a PS4.
35. If the 90's were good to you for any reason, reminisce a little - what's your favorite memory?
Blimey – the 90’s eh? I discovered alcohol, went to Uni, worked as an insurance clerk, lived in Australia for 6 months, and started my Ph.D. My favourite memory…? So many good times it’s hard to single anything out – but my 21st birthday was memorable… spent it in Sydney and a guy I had met there just weeks earlier loaned me the use of his apartment for the night of my birthday so I could spend the night with my girlfriend rather than having to stay at her auntie’s place in separate rooms!
I hope to stick around for many years to come, and I’ll be fascinated to see what comes of GTPlanet and everyone who calls this place their home on the internet.

Touring Mars, the mod I idolise the most. He`s the best. (Oh, I will say that after each and every staff interview. Exept the "Turin Orgasm" part...)

Sell it. :P

That answer... :lol: So quick, so honest. :lol:

Someone with an approachable manner – and plenty of free time!

Which excludes @Danny :D (Short on free time...)

Great read, @Turin Orgasm. :cheers:

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the seventh in the long line of staff interviews, EDK!

Yeah, definitely. It's an honor to be featured among a community of so many fantastic members and staff.
I made it to GTPlanet through a Google search. I was trying to find out what race earned the Formula GT Prize car on GT4. The front page of the site was a lot different at the time, there was no blog. But Jordan featured the WRS on the front page, with a link to the Weekly Race Series forum.
I, along with a fantastic staff of peers, run the Weekly Race Series Time Trials. I'm also involved in the organization of the WRS Online Events. I've been running the WRS TT's for almost 5 years now. So I spend almost all my time on the site in those forums. And occasionally wander into the Motorsports discussion forums.
I've always been interested in cars and racing. My father was a mechanic by trade (now retired), so I grew up working on cars, and really appreciated cars for being more than just a way to get from A to B. I owned PS2 and was into gaming, but more stuff like Madden Football and Grand Theft Auto. I owned GT3, and finished the game on controller. When I bought GT4, I got a DFGT wheel, and that really hooked me into the game. It's so much more immersive than any other type of gaming.
5. How did you come up with the name "EDK"?
Now that's a funny story. I like to play Poker. Several years ago when I lived in Portland, some of us from work would get together on a Friday night every month or so to play cards. A new guy to the group came to the game and was more interested in chatting than playing, so the game kept stalling at his chair. I was next around the table after him, so I was on him all night to keep play moving. He lost the money he brought to play a few hours into the evening, and decided to leave. He thanked the host, said how nice it was to see several people. But when he got to me, he said "Thanks Evil ****head". Another of my friends who was at the game came up with the EDK moniker, she started calling me by it the following Monday at work, and it just stuck. A lot of people probably wouldn't like that sort of nickname, but my wife says I wear it like a badge of honor. :D :mischievous:
GT, all the way. Part of that is the platform I have available for gaming, I don't own an X-Box, and don't have a gaming PC. I would like to try I-Racing and some of the other PC Sims.
That's been 6 years, if I recall correctly. I was one of the members who helped @Sphinx create the OLR Rules and Guidelines. Online racing was new to the GT series, and we needed a document to govern on track behavior. Ultimately, that work and my appointment led to the organization of several Registry based online race events on the GT5 Prologue platform. Here's an example. I was and am so involved in the organization of WRS events that I don't think much about the Badge. It's nice to not have to keep buying a Premium membership, and some of the Moderation functions are handy to have. I occasionally even do some standard moderating. But most of what I do is event organization.
The site is really clean and easy to use. I have memberships on a few other forums, and I find myself wanting the features we have here. Things like the member tagging, and the ease of posting attachments, YouTube videos, etc. is unparalleled.
They had gotten a lot of things right on GT5 by the time GT6 was released. And it feels like we're starting over on a lot of the things that were fixed. The physics engine is quite good, but the tuning took a step back. The online server infrastructure does not seem up to the challenge of events with more than around 12 racers. So for me, it's a mixed bag. I really enjoy playing when everything works the way it's supposed to. But it's frustrating when things don't work right.
Well, my body of work here is mainly the WRS. The nice thing is that's tangible evidence of what I bring. What does WRS bring? It's the intersection of GT and the community. We're a way to racers of all abilities to compete with one another and improve their skills. And we bring the assurance of fair competition, on a level playing field.
11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon, what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?
It seems any game I buy besides GT sits on the shelf and collects dust. So, I guess GT7, whenever that happens. :lol:
12. With the next generation of all things video gaming upon us, have you made any plans to pick up a PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U?
I'll get a PS4 when GT7 is released.
I'm from Portland, Oregon. The Willamette river that runs through downtown has 9 bridges across it in and around downtown. It's one of the longest and largest rivers in the Northern Hemisphere that flows from South to North.
I can't think of anything that I would change.
I race in the ChumpCar World Series, which is a lot like the 24 Hours of Lemons. That's allowed me to race on World Class tracks such as Laguna Seca and Daytona. I write about it here, and have some links in my Sig to my YT channel, etc.
I like stories about the grit of real life. Breaking Bad was one of my favorite series. Actors, I like Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Kevin Spacey, Keifer Sutherlund. Maybe I would cast all those guys, and pick out 6 more. Scarlett Johanssen could be the token hottie, maybe with Jessica Alba and Mila Kunis. And I would chronicle their journey to the final table at the World Series of poker. More time spent on the games leading up to it, and the action away from the game. Some of these guys are going to be on the ragged edge.
17. During your time on the staff have you ever wished you would have handled something differently, and, assuming you went through this phase, how long was the grace period from you questioning your initial actions whether they be issued warnings, points, or bans from being too harsh to second nature when the need arises?
Not that I remember, no. I think Jordan has established a clear and fair rule set, and I've worked to enforce it fairly.
I think people need to consider our contribution to the community at large. Most if not all of us are adding something more to the site than just moderation.
19. In a world where our jobs here come with badges that are mailed to your place of residence, how do you treat said badge?
:lol: I guess I would put it on display somewhere, maybe in my room that has my rig and console.
I have no clue.
No. I did have a guy that I banned for cheating and his treatment of others on staff send me a hateful message on PSN. But he's since apologized here on the forum. (From a new account that I ultimately banned due to his prior behavior).
Go Fast, Have Fun.
23. If site moderation was a paid job, would any of you give up your current positions/ occupations to do it full time providing the pay was acceptable?
In the context of the work I do on the site now, yes.
8.5 ;)
How they are currently contributing to the community.
It's here. I no longer bypass the swear filter. :lol: And I don't use the formal signoffs, let the sig speak for itself.
I like Jazz and Big Band Music. I play saxophone, played in high school. It's been over 15 years back, but the Billy Crystal movie Forget Paris had a good soundtrack, along those lines.
28. In case you haven't heard, YouTube channel /Drive recently adopted a PPV model with /Drive+ - $3.99 per month for episodes ranging from 10-15 minutes in length, whereas the older channel where this same content was originally hosted has been shortened to 3-4 minutes in total. Do you think this was a wise decision on their behalf or does it just alienate and/or segregate viewers?
I can tell you that I would not pay that. I'm fine with subscription services, but I want to pay once and get my content, I don't like the PPV model.
I think about a week, when I was on a cruise ship in 2011.
:lol: No.
I think the realism of the physics model will continue to improve. I don't care about crash modeling, or the level of detail on the dashboard and center console. I want it to be a racing Sim.
:lol: Leave.
The Price is Right.
5 or 6, I guess. I have a Nook that was given to me, but I don't have a tablet. I think I'll end up buying an Android tablet at some point.
Marrying my wife and going on our Honeymoon.
I appreciate everything this community has given to me, and only hope that I've put in as much or more as I've taken away from it.

EDK, the mod I idolise the most. He`s the best. (Oh, I will say that after each and every staff interview. Exept the "EDK" part...)

Barely seen. Because of
["I, along with a fantastic staff of peers, run the Weekly Race Series Time Trials. I'm also involved in the organization of the WRS Online Events. I've been running the WRS TT's for almost 5 years now. So I spend almost all my time on the site in those forums. And occasionally wander into the Motorsports discussion forums."]

Anyway, great read. 👍

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the eighth in the long line of staff interviews, Jump_Ace!

- I’m very excited and honored to be part of the madhouse!

- What brought me to GTPlanet is my thirst for competition. About 10 years ago now, I was fumbling around online trying to see just how good I was at Gran Turismo. I initially landed on GTTimes.com and was amazed at the times submitted by Mr. P (does anyone else miss Midfield!?) and HugoBoss and a ton of other aliens.

I recall landing on the GTPlanet homepage in my search for fun and answers to just how fast I was. And, I hate to admit it, but my first thought was, ‘Oh, it’s just a fan site, that’s not for me.’ Sorry Jordan! Little did I know just how wrong I was and to this day I wish I poked around to find the Weekly Race Series then, instead of later.

As for taking on the badge, I felt it was the next step for me. I knew the GT games in and out and backwards, literally. So when there were some of my friends who wanted volunteers to create the GTP OLR Rules for GT5 Prologue, I asked Sphynx if I could help. We then used a pbwiki page where we could all collaborate and dissect each rule to the Nth degree (and we did, believe me). By then, I’d been doing the WRS for a few years (since week 4 in GT4), been updating Luxy’s Leaderboard for the guys and Sphynx recommended I become a WRS Mod, and I accepted.

- Besides the WRS forums, I spend most of my time in the Funny Picture Thread, Computers & Tech and Sim Racing Hardware (which is where I seemed to do most of my Moderating :lol: )

Typically, no one blocks GTPlanet so I like to see the (usually) best of the best meme’s that I can’t see on Reddit and other sites.

Since I work in IT, I pop in and try and answer questions when I can and ask them if I need to. One of the best things GTPlanet has going for it, is it’s at that perfect stage; like a medium sized business. It isn’t all suit and tie and there’s a true sense of it being a family run business.

I love the Sim Racing Hardware section as I’m just astounded at the mods users make to their wheels and the creativity to find a solution for themselves is inspiring.

- When I first read about Gran Turismo I was just getting my driver’s license and I loved the idea of seeing how I would do in a video game license test scenario. Little did I know that those license tests were some of the hardest in the franchise, yikes!

5. How did you come up with the name "Jump_Ace"?

- Before I started playing GT in high school, my life revolved around Track and Field, particularly Long Jump, Triple Jump and my favorite; High Jump. I did pretty well in triple and high jump and usually won head to head meets and most tournament meets. But I was from a small town too, so that made it easier, haha. My personal best in High Jump is 2 meters (roughly 6’ft. 7”in.). Growing up playing video games you could only use 3 initials, well I have four. So, I always used the word ‘Ace’ for everything (except the Legend of Zelda of course). Then when I finally bought my first computer, my roommate once said his email was something like bmw_ice@yahoo.com. I immediately thought, my name should have an underscore too, that’ll be AWESOME! So I came up with ‘Jump_Ace’.

- If you were to ask me this in the Gran Turismo 4 days, I would’ve have said Gran Turismo by a country mile. Now, however, GT has drifted away from us hardcore fan base and doesn’t fulfill my need for competition and driving. So, I’m going to be ‘that guy’ who says Project Cars, without even playing it. Why? Because they are doing the opposite of Gran Turismo, they are catering to the hardcore fan base and have direct feedback from them.

- I was totally stoked, I went right into the new sections that opened up for my account and read about a bunch of bad users so I knew what to look for and what do to if I come across them.

- Just like a fine wine, GTPlanet gets better with age. There are so many subtle changes, all for the better. Jordan has done an outstanding job of knowing what direction to point GTP in, I sincerely wish he (or myself of course) could work at PD to get them back on track.

- Honestly, it feels like GT 5.5. I played GT5 for a solid 18 months, but GT6 couldn’t keep my attention for 6 months. There’s so many changes that need to made and I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen at PD. Someone is pushing the Skid Recovery Force hard to bring in new gamers, but it’s also cutting out gamers like myself. The new concept cars are cool, but like I mentioned before, it’s not heading in the direction I prefer. In my opinion, they need to work on many other things besides these concept cars where they try and please current gamers and attract new ones.

- I think I’ve shifted gears a little toward being one of the ‘old guys’ who thinks things were done better before and the new changes are not for the best. So, more of a link to how the previous games were compared to how they are now. But that’s also one thing I know I need to improve on; accepting change. It’s very tough because I know how great things were in the past, but like everyone, we all have things we can improve on.

11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon, what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?

- Project CARs, without a doubt.

12. What do you most like to do when it's time to just sit back and relax?

- Normally that is my time to chill and play video games. I’ll try out some new games here and there (was not a fan of Watch Dogs, at all). But I do love re-playing old games. Everything from Ocarina of Time and Super Metroid to Mario Bros. 3, F-Zero and Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!

- I’m from a small town in Oregon called McMinnville. It’s right in the middle of Wine Country, literally one of the world’s most elite wine comes from Yamhill County there. Yes, up there with Napa and French wine. It’s also home to the Spruce Goose, the world’s largest wooden plane..yep the one from the Aviator movie with Leonardo DiCaprio.

- I would change the primary color from red to blue.

- My other hobbies are web design, or rather learning about web design; PHP, Javascript, HTML.

- Well, since my 8th grade film project idea of the show lost was stolen from me, so I would have to go with…

“Superman or Clark Kent. Dissecting the difference between what women want and what women need.”

I’d cast all my favorite Hollywood hotties as well as focus groups to answer what I believe to be one of the meanings of life; WHAT THE 🤬 DO WOMEN WANT?

Hollywood hotties would include, but not limited to:

1. Emilia Clarke
2. Rachel McAdams
3. Scarlett Johansson
4. Maria Hill
5. Amy Adams
6. Kate Mara
7. Gemma Arterton
8. Jessica Biel
9. Oona Chaplin
10. Anna Kendrick
11. Sibel Kekilli
12. Megan Fox
13. Natalie Portman
14. Anne Hathaway
15. Jennifer Connelly
16. Kelly Brook
17. Kate Beckinsale
18. Christina Hendricks
19. Cobie Smulders
20. Eva Mendez
21. Jessica Alba

17. During your time on the staff have you ever wished you would have handled something differently, and, assuming you went through this phase, how long was the grace period from you questioning your initial actions whether they be issued warnings, points, or bans from being too harsh to second nature when the need arises?

- Yes. Although I don’t remember the user, I gave him infraction points for trolling others. I was on the fence about flat out banning him because of the level of insanity he was in. I wish I ban-hammered the little 🤬 But IIRC someone else banned him the next day and I was like ‘*BLEEP!* Yea!...wait, I should’ve done it, 🤬!’ :lol:

- It would depend on the definition of lucrative. If by lucrative you mean gaining insight to how things are run at GTP and level of respect users (uh, usually) give you, then yes. But I also don’t think anyone wants to be tough guys unless it’s necessary because it does create more work, albeit FUN work.

19. In a world where our jobs here come with badges that are mailed to your place of residence, how do you treat said badge?

- With honor and respect. To think Jordan believes in people he never met to help maintain his site/livliehood doesn’t come easy. Nor is that responsibility taken lightly. I’d make a shadow box for said badge and hang it in the garage or my office or something, theoretically speaking.

- Easy. F-Zero. F-Zero requires instantaneous reaction and well, who is cooler than Samurai Goroh?

- Thankfully, no. The closest to ‘stalking’ is when racing online with strangers and someone gripes about someone else not driving clean in a ‘clean room’ and I try and chime in if I saw the incident and no one ever believes me that I helped write the GTP OLR Rules. So one guy did follow up with me about it and actually apologized and admitted I was ‘cool’ with not rubbing it in his face or anything.

- Passionate cars. Passionate drivers.

- Definitely, if the pay was acceptable. And being flown to GT/gaming events would be a nice perk *nudge nudge*

24. We're both pretty giddy when it comes to the Legend of Zelda (I still haven't finished Skyward Sword on Hero Mode!), what would you say brings a smile to your face when you think about the game?

- First, let me say that Skyward Sword has really grown on me the past couple years. I’ve played it through 5 times now, two on Hero Mode. It’s an excellent game that initially I thought lacked depth. But what brings a smile to my face is the part of the game I’ve spent the most time in; Boss Battle Mode. The way they integrated the motion controls into how you defeat bosses with your arsenal is Sublime. They are fun, challenging (haven’t gotten the Hylian shield in Hero mode yet) and remind me of playing Zelda in my childhood.

- Dedication and passion. Someone who has proven they can follow the rules, has shown to help others and has a passion for gaming and/or cars. I’m a gamer who got into cars because of Gran Turismo and I suspect I’m in the minority on that :lol: But no matter how they found GTP it takes passion and dedication to stick with being a Mod. Then I say sprinkle on a little bit of patience and that’d be a good candidate.

- Actually nothing has changed since I joined GTP. I always end all of my forum posts with my first name as I want to invoke that I’m reaching out to everyone in an open, personal level. Even as a (former) Mod. I’ll never make a post in PURPLE font, that’s just Crazy :lol:

27. We've talked about your gaming cabinet a couple times in the past, but now it's time to make everyone else hate you - how'd that come about (and how many times have you gotten "the look" because of it)??

- Well, it all started at an awesome place here in Portland called Ground Kontrol. I have a friend who has competed in some Street Fighter tournaments locally and he and I went to play some SF and he mentioned that people have made arcade cabinets to play Street Fighter at home. There’s plans you can download and cut your own MDF wood and how to wire stuff up.

All of a sudden I was 10 years old again. I did some research about arcade cabinets, some you can make yourself, or you can buy ones Ikea-style and just throw the kit together.

- After getting the wife’s approval, I sat down to look at the logistics of it all. How much it would cost and what I would use as an OS, what fightsticks/controllers to get, how to wire sound, etc.

I ended up buying a, err…’not so retail version’ of an Xbox 360 from a guy on Craigslist. For sound, I bought a small amplifier from Amazon along with a pair of 4” speakers. I have the component audio going to the sound amp and the RGB into the HDTV.

- As for the controllers, I snagged up a couple Microsoft Fightsticks at half price ($200 for a pair) before they stopped making them. And I ordered a super cheap Dynex 32” HDTV.

- I then threw a Mame emulator on there and bought a couple 360 fighting games; Mortal Kombat and Super Street Fighter IV. I also snuck in a game called Girl Fight, which is exactly what you’d think it is; and the wife wasn’t too happy :lol: So I only play it when the guys come over ;)

And voila! Almost, instant arcade cabinet. I’ll have to take some new pics of it since I can’t find any.

28. In case you haven't heard, YouTube channel /Drive recently adopted a PPV model with /Drive+ - $3.99 per month for episodes ranging from 10-15 minutes in length, whereas the older channel where this same content was originally hosted has been shortened to 3-4 minutes in total. Do you think this was a wise decision on their behalf or does it just alienate and/or segregate viewers?

- I can see the argument on either side of the fence, but if there is one thing I learned from PPV, no one watches boxing anymore. I grew up watching Tyson fights, but now it’s a nearly dying sport. The reason for that is exposure. CBS, ABC, NBC would all compete for showing title bouts. But now, millennials don’t watch it much at all except Friday Night Fights on ESPN. One could argue UFC has something to with that, but it doesn’t as this trend happened long before UFC caught on.

So I’ll have to say it alienates and segregates their audience. Everywhere you look, you are getting nickel and dimed to death with subscription based fees/payments. I don’t think the product justifies the price.

- I’d say nor more than a week in all honesty. There’s always something on GTP that keeps my interest, whether it’s the Funny Picture Thread or new info on ProjectCars or a new WRS event I keep coming back for more.

- Nope.

- Excellent question. I want to see the GT Academy grow into it’s own full fledged racing series only have multiple manufacturers get talent from all the top sim games. So for example, GT would have Nissan as a sponsor. But maybe iRacing would have Honda and Subaru sponsors and get a couple drivers there. Then Project Cars would sponsor Toyota and Mazda and there’s a few drivers there. Heck, even EA could sponsor 3 teams. This way there’s more options for us hardcore drivers to get a legit shot at driving for a real team.

From there, maybe the top 4 drivers for that season can move into one of the other classes of racing; rally, LeMans, GT3 or whatever. But the other guys can stay with the GT Academy-type racing series next year against the next crop of virtual winners.

- I grab a bottle of Rum and a 12 pack of Coke and prepare for some long sheepherding sessions!

- The Price Is Right; Bob Barker days were the best, sorry Drew Carey!

- Considering all electronic devices like TV’s, consoles, computers and printers, I’d say about a dozen. The next thing I’m waiting to pull the trigger on is a new video card for Project Cars :)

- My best friend would visit his mom just about every weekend and the summer weekends we would stay up all night playing Mortal Kombat II, Earthworm Jim, watch Tales from the Crypt and then get a few hours sleep and go buy some Mtn. Dew and play baseball at a field near by with some other friends.

- Well, I’ve been a member of GTP for 10 years in Sept. And, more importantly, the reason why I stepped down from being a Mod is because my wife and I gave birth to our first baby! His name is Lucas, he was born on Aug. 5th and was 5 weeks premature. We’ve been spending the last two full weeks visiting him. He did suffer a stroke during/just before the emergency C-Section where he was showing erratic heartbeat and wasn’t moving/kicking much all day.

He will need some physical therapy for his right arm. The stroke happened because the umbilical cord was wrapped so tight around his left arm that is left arm was completely white like the google homepage and limp. With doing some physical therapy to that arm, it’s looking great. However, the arm hindered some oxygen flow to his brain causing the stroke and resulting in requiring some PT on the right arm.

The good news is nothing else will be affected, we’ve learned a ton from the nurses at the NICU so we feel well-equipped when he does come home for good. He’s turned a corner with his feeding so we’re hoping he can come home in a few days. I’ve created a website as a place to store pics and have family/friends see his growth, it’s at: www.ourlittlelucas.net/lucas

Thanks to Jordan, EDK, Smallhorses, Sphynx, Small Fries, Mr. P, T-12, eKretz and all my friends at GTP for an excellent 10 years and many more to come!

Jerome

Back