Official Toyota GR Supra GT Cup Launches April 2019

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 475 comments
Currently sitting at 2:06.2xx for Round 2. At this point, I am convinced that the Supra looks for an excuse to start sliding at every turn. :lol:

Ran a few laps and after a few spins and off track excursions, ran a 2:08.2xx. Not going to stress over it though considering how the first race went. It is what it is. Might run a few laps to get familiar with the car again before the race, outside of that not even going to bother.

Just got 2:05.7

This track and car combo honestly makes me want to cry.
You just got a 2:05.7!!! That makes me want to cry
After a bit of practice I’m around the 207.5 :(
I’m getting to like the car, it’s a bit heavy and a bit tail happy but it’s fairly predictable.

Just looked at my rank after the first race, I’m probably the only person in Hampshire UK that entered but 24th in the UK? Really?

F161B99D-BB43-401C-8CFF-DE8A1357A55D.jpeg

Must have been a poor turn out, I’m not all that fast. Really I’m not! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You just got a 2:05.7!!! That makes me want to cry
After a bit of practice I’m around the 207.5 :(
I’m getting to like the car, it’s a bit heavy and a bit tail happy but it’s fairly predictable.
So I'm giving it another go, and I can't go under 2:06.5 now. Gosh, I am not looking forward to this race lol.

I wonder if a no stop strategy will work at Catalunya?
a group of us ran a few mock Catalunya races and I don't think its possible for a no pit, unless your mapped at 6 the whole race. If everyone has to pit I think it will make for a better event anyway. good luck.

Just got 2:05.7

This track and car combo honestly makes me want to cry.
Nice lap, I cant break 2:07.1

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve run a few practice lobby’s and so far the fastest drivers have been Spanish. What makes them so fast? I’m going to eat paella and drink plenty of san miguel see if it affects my lap times :)
I must say that the general standards of driving have been very good, no problem drivers. I hope it’s the same in the actual race.

Just looked at my rank after the first race, I’m probably the only person in Hampshire UK that entered but 24th in the UK? Really?

View attachment 817852

Must have been a poor turn out, I’m not all that fast. Really I’m not! :D

I think there was 200 ish points scorers from the UK, so not a huge turnout...24th is decent though!
I do wonder if PD and Toyota have forgotten the "fun" element in this series, racing the Supra is about as much fun as juggling chainsaws!

a group of us ran a few mock Catalunya races and I don't think its possible for a no pit, unless your mapped at 6 the whole race. If everyone has to pit I think it will make for a better event anyway. good luck.

Nice lap, I cant break 2:07.1
I was wrong, Catalunya will be another fuel mileage race.

I was wrong, Catalunya will be another fuel mileage race.
I think it depends on how quick you are. Pitting will cost you around 30 seconds. That means if you are more than 4.2 seconds lap faster on map 1 and can reliably do 2:06’s every lap, stopping might work out for you.

The practice lobbies I did were all won by no stoppers, the skill is in managing the fuel, you really want to be on empty as you cross the line.

This is why I don't think I'll be racing this one. I can't stand fuel saving type races. In B/S lobbies half the field just goes all out and will do a one stop and if I try and go slow and fuel save I just get knocked about and punted all over the place because nobody has a clue how or just don't bother to overtake properly.

The race at Fuji I went from a P6 qualy, to last from getting punted off 3 TIMES on the first lap, stuck with the no stop and finished 9th. So no doubt the no-stop is the way to go but it's just so risky in the lower lobbies.

I'd rather not get myself angry and unconfident before the Manufacturers races. These event races are just getting ridiculous now. It's all about managing either fuel or tires way too much.

I don't get how I can do a 1-wheel peel in 5th gear while travelling over 100mph. The physics of the rear diff on this car are magical.

It has to be one of the more annoying cars to drive.

This is why I don't think I'll be racing this one. I can't stand fuel saving type races. In B/S lobbies half the field just goes all out and will do a one stop and if I try and go slow and fuel save I just get knocked about and punted all over the place because nobody has a clue how or just don't bother to overtake properly.

The race at Fuji I went from a P6 qualy, to last from getting punted off 3 TIMES on the first lap, stuck with the no stop and finished 9th. So no doubt the no-stop is the way to go but it's just so risky in the lower lobbies.

I'd rather not get myself angry and unconfident before the Manufacturers races. These event races are just getting ridiculous now. It's all about managing either fuel or tires way too much.

Manufacturers is going to be a fuel saving no stop....not as bad as the Supra races though. I'm tempted to not bother with qualifying and just start from the back, I'm B/S and it's going to be chaos as the stoppers come piling past, as turbo says above, I don't know why we can't just race! Fastest person wins, nice and simple and good fun!

I have to agree, this Cup is too gimmicky in it's current form. Though my personal gripe would be with the Weak slipstream setting rather than the viability of no-stops, as it makes your qualifying position hinge on how cooperative the cars ahead of you are rather than pure skill, and artificially limits the ability for top drivers to pull clear by letting trailers come back from well outside normal slipstream range.

I'm still going to do these races, because if enough of what I call Oceania's "Big Eight" give this series a miss, I want to give myself a chance to go to Tokyo*. I just wish the races were fun as opposed to two fuel saving races and an oval crapshoot to start the season.

*Of course this also depends on which control methods are permitted. The Supra Cup is not part of the World Tour, so controller's may be permitted, but the final is happening during World Tour Tokyo, so they could just as easily be banned.

Last edited:
I have to agree, this Cup is too gimmicky in it's current form. Though my personal gripe would be with the Weak slipstream setting rather than the viability of no-stops, as it makes your qualifying position hinge on how cooperative the cars ahead of you are rather than pure skill, and artificially limits the ability for top drivers to pull clear by letting trailers come back from well outside normal slipstream range.

I'm still going do these races, because if enough of what I call Oceania's "Big Eight" give this series a miss, I want to give myself a chance to go to Tokyo*. I just wish the races were fun as opposed to two fuel saving races and an oval crapshoot to start the season.

*Of course this also depends on which control methods are permitted. The Supra Cup is not part of the World Tour, so controller's may be permitted, but the final is happening during World Tour Tokyo, so they could just as easily be banned.
Remember, through all this, 6 year olds qualify to participate.

Didn't think my luck could get worse after Fuji but it did. A very inconveniently timed blackout denied me the chance to even enter Catalunya. My ability to compete for a finals spot hinged on making the most of this round whilst I had the pace, so now I have little motivation to complete the season. Next round is the oval, the Supra isn't fun to drive and weak slipstream is a cheap gimmick.

Good luck to everyone else. I'll still be playing GT because I'm in a league these days, but dropping Sport Mode for now will give me reason to play other games on my backlog. So there's a silver lining to this rotten bit of luck.

I think it depends on how quick you are. Pitting will cost you around 30 seconds.
No kidding? :eek:
That means if you are more than 4.2 seconds lap faster on map 1 and can reliably do 2:06’s every lap, stopping might work out for you.
If it was just about pace, stopping might be worth it, but the „weak“ slipstream made it all but impossible for the stoppers to get away from the non-stoppers at Fuji. Is this different at Catalunya?

At Fuji, you only lost ~20s in the pit, ~3s per lap on average. I started from P2, got punted at T1, ended up 20th and last after the first lap. But the slipstream allowed me to gain a few positions, so I was only a bit over 10s behind the leaders when they pitted. I finished 3rd, just ahead of the pole starter. This was in the EMEA 7th split.

Last week I had 11 disconnects trying to get into the lobby. This week, pit glitch as everyone spins about for 15 seconds before getting out.

Back