Oh, oh, oh, I'm making a Ludicrous Claim®! Read the first post!

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 5,760 comments
On the theme of not knowing his age, he's almost 20 here, 18 in his profile here and 22 in his profile at floridastreetscene.com

I used to race, but I ran of of money. Currently I am one of Nissan's test drivers, but they stuck me on the road cars:grumpy: I get to have a go in a race car every now and then. Right about this time last month, I was at an undisclosed location doing some testing for a next-generation car, I can't say anything about it, but trust me, it will be awesome.

As a test driver for Nissan, I know the GT-R inside and out. One can't truly appreciate what goes into it until they drive the real-life counterpart. For example, the Ferrari F10. I could drive it and get an idea of what it would be like to actually drive it. However, I would be unable to appreciate the work that goes into building a top level F1 car unless I drove the real thing.

How old were you when you got your first car?
17, I didn't get my license until I was 18 though.

What was your first car?
A 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. It wasn't bad for off-roading. After I signed as a test driver for Nissan, they gave a 370Z, as long as it wasn't a Nismo.

How old are you now?

What car do you drive now?
A Nissan 370Z. For now its stock, but soon I'm buying some go-faster bits for it.

August: Suddenly, test driver for Nissan

September: Receive my a 370Z, season 2 of MLP:FiM

I'm a test driver for Nissan, basically I get to drive new cars (and the occasional race car) before anybody else does. Also I was supposed to test at Daytona for next years Rolex 24, but the team that hired me decided at the last second to get someone else:grumpy: And I had already paid my entry fee, and I don't know if Grand-Am will refund me.

How do you become a test driver for Nissan?
How do you find your self testing a car at Daytona?
What feedback can you give a racing team that their usual drivers can't supply?
What qualifications do you need to become a test driver?
Do many test drivers for Nissan like MLP?

We require proof. Feel free to PM me if you "can't" post in the forums.

And, as a reminder...

You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

How do you become a test driver for Nissan?
How do you find your self testing a car at Daytona?
What feedback can you give a racing team that their usual drivers can't supply?
What qualifications do you need to become a test driver?
Do many test drivers for Nissan like MLP?

We require proof. Feel free to PM me if you "can't" post in the forums.

And, as a reminder...

Also add in....

Why were charged a race entry fee for testing, testing is only chargeable to the manufacturer/race team and they wouldn't pass that onto the driver , because its either an open session and part of the overall race fee or its a closed session and as someone who has hired tracks for Renault/Nissan you would not pass a charge so high onto a test driver (because you would never find one).

Now as you race then that means you have a race licence, please scan it and send the image via PM to either daan or myself.

Scaff

I became a test driver when I showed skill behind the wheel, honed from a couple of years of track driving, and a bit of a natural talent, and lots of enthusiasm. Someone I know had spoken to the higher-ups, and got me a test.

I never actually went to Daytona, I had to cut out due to other commitments, but I would have been cut anyway. I will not disclose the name of the team.

I'm actually not on Nismo. It was an early decision to move to the road cars.

I'm not sure about qualifications for race drivers, but road cars are less strict.

I really can't answer the last one, because I have never bothered to ask around.

And before someone asks about the Z, I did have to pay freight and I had to wait like everyone else for theirs. Just because I am employed by them doesn't mean that I am a high-priority client or anyhthing.

@ Scaff, I don't have a scanner.

Nissan hired a test driver with less than 3 years worth of experience on the road. :rolleyes:
I've worked with a few Renault/Nissan test and development drivers, its over a decade ago now, but I know what they used to look for in a driver and what's involved in the insurance in Europe.

Simply put to be a road car test and development driver in Europe you would need to be at least 21, legal cover would not touch you on the road at any lower age. Now that might be only in Europe, but test and development driving involves world travel (all weather testing for example is often carried out in Scandinavia and a lot of road sign-off for Europe is done in both Germany and the UK) and the ability to drive the car any place needed.

I've never (in near twenty years in the motor industry) come across a test/development driver under 25.

You must know someone with one, or failing that a camera or a phone with a camera?

Any would do.

Scaff

I'm going to need time, It's things like this that are notoriously easy for me to misplace even though I keep them in 1 place.

I just heard this in a lobby this morning. "I don't care if you believe me or not, but I drive a R35 GT-R with right hand drive from Japan" (lives in Ohio)

I became a test driver when I showed skill behind the wheel, honed from a couple of years of track driving, and a bit of a natural talent, and lots of enthusiasm. Someone I know had spoken to the higher-ups, and got me a test.

I'm not sure about qualifications for race drivers, but road cars are less strict.

In what capacity do you test? To my knowledge all major manufacturers require an engineering degree in order to become a test driver (it's very technical work), and very few of those jump straight to the track driving stuff - the vast majority of test driving is fairly repetitive stuff, like finding out where rattles are coming from, and driving over cobbles for hours at a time.

I only ask because before I went to university I wanted to get into test driving, and then I realised how good you have to be at mathematics, physics and engineering - none of which are my strong points!

This should be the thread's logo.

busted.jpg

I gotta go, I'll answer questions tomorrow.

The very next post you make will either be proof or a retraction, anything else will be seen as an AUP violation and will see action taken by the staff.

That action could include a temporary or permanent ban.

Think about that before you next post.

Scaff

He's leading you guys on, and you all keep biting... You guys know he's full of it, and so does he, but he is probably laughing behind his screen right now.. You all win. He's "trolling"(I hate that term)

He's leading you guys on, and you all keep biting... You guys know he's full of it, and so does he, but he is probably laughing behind his screen right now.. You all win. He's "trolling"(I hate that term)

In which case, violating the AUP constitutes a ban.

Which is why his next post is either proof or a retraction, anything else is going to almost certainly result in a ban.

Its not the first time we have been in this situation (hell its not even the first time this month) and we have developed a fine skill set to identify the real from the false, but its always nice to give the member a chance.

👍

Scaff

We got to clear this up.

Lying about what cars you own or what job you have & then going, "LOL, you got me" is not trolling. It's just a liar who got caught.

Poor lost little pony. Some one led it to water and it was too busy test driving cars to drink. So it died of it's own stupidity.

Yeah, it was posted a page or two back but the debate went on in the thread in question instead of here.

Tree'd.

I never actually went to Daytona, I had to cut out due to other commitments, but I would have been cut anyway. I will not disclose the name of the team.

I'm actually not on Nismo. It was an early decision to move to the road cars.

I really can't answer the last one, because I have never bothered to ask around.

And before someone asks about the Z, I did have to pay freight and I had to wait like everyone else for theirs. Just because I am employed by them doesn't mean that I am a high-priority client or anyhthing.

Not sure which bit I "enjoyed" the most - I think it was "not sure about qualifications for race drivers, but road cars are less strict" :lol: I assume that your engineering degree is in the post?

Never has this phrase been more apt - 'those that can do, those that can't, talk about it.'

Racing teams use racing drivers to test their cars - period.

Road car manufacturers may occasionally use racing drivers for ride and handling work, but will use Engineers for that and all other functions that could fall under the loose term of 'test driver' that you like to throw around.

You may well own a Nissan, but I'll be amazed if you've so much as washed a car and been paid by Nissan to do it.

Back