oh the tragedy!............

• Thread starter poolio
  • 85 comments
pooliogeordio
i decided to dig out my old copy of gt1 the other day and give it a blast. just for old time's sake you know.

anyhoo, the game loads up and i find myself on day 1 with 10,000 credits and no damn car! after 7 years my memory card has wiped the saved game and now i have to start from the beginning all over again. :scared:

i feel cheated and robbed of some of my gaming past but i know i have to get the game back to where it was. trouble is i need motivating to get the task in hand sorted.

my main problems are that seven years ago i was at college and basically had no responsibilities. now i have a full time job and i'm engaged and have two kids and all that comes with that. where the hell am i going to find the time to play gt1 aswell as continuing all my other games.

it's something i have to do i just don't know how.....................help please :nervous:

Once you have responsibilities, you'll never go back to playing games the old way. Now, you'll have to sneak a two-lap race when ever you can.

1) The wife's in the shower.
2) Letting the dogs out.
3) Letting the kids out.
4) Calling in sick to work.
5) Taking extended lunch breaks at work.

The possibilites are endless. At least GT1 has just three enduros, and a handful of series races that require an hour's time here and there. GT2 is better when you really don't have much time at all, since there's only a few series; mostly 2 & 3-lap races.

There's quite a number of us here that have a wife and/or kids, and still manage to have full-time jobs, live in their own homes, and still find time to play Gran Turismo amd talk about it too. Just search around.

Don't forget to pull out the old PS1 memory card, too.

I did that recently, too.. I was shocked to discover that my save-game was "gone", then I realized that I still had my PS2 card plugged in.

Okay say it with me: 2 player mode with the kids! This is assuming they're old enuff to drive of course ;) Uh, and this is also assuming GT1 time is not strictly daddy's time...I'm so glad I don't have kids. By the way, what special cars did you lose when your card got wiped? I'm almost afraid to ask...

Last edited:
yea looks like i'll have to snatch a quick race here and there. ah well, it'll be fun to go through the game again i suppose just to re-live how it used to be.

regarding the cars i lost - it's been so long since i played it i can't remember all of them. my favourite were the castrol supra and my skyline, i'm more gutted about losing gt hi-fi mode for some reason.....................

You can always buy new cars, but I would be especially bummed if I lost my original replays. Now that would suck.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
You can always buy new cars, but I would be especially bummed if i lost my original replays. Now that would suck.

ah yes my replays......the time i crashed my skyline at trial mountain and launched it into the air, getting my tvr on two wheels at high speed ring or the time i spectacularly spun the dodge concept car at high speed ring.................gone forever :mad: :banghead:

Parnelli Bone
Yeah, that hurts. Sorry to bring it up.

nah it's ok. i'm being more positive now and kinda looking forward to replaying it. loads more great memories to come that's my way of seeing it :D

poolio
nah it's ok. i'm being more positive now and kinda looking forward to replaying it. loads more great memories to come that's my way of seeing it :D

just had a flash of inspiration.
i'm gonna do the gran turismo world championship on gt4 tonight and then hammer gt1 until i've got back to where i was before. i WILL do it!

That sucks for you, but I guess it could be a blessing in disguise. I find the original GT to be the best for replay value. Good luck with your new game.

pupik
Once you have responsibilities, you'll never go back to playing games the old way. Now, you'll have to sneak a two-lap race when ever you can.

1) The wife's in the shower.
2) Letting the dogs out.
3) Letting the kids out.
4) Calling in sick to work.
5) Taking extended lunch breaks at work.

The possibilites are endless. At least GT1 has just three enduros, and a handful of series races that require an hour's time here and there. GT2 is better when you really don't have much time at all, since there's only a few series; mostly 2 & 3-lap races.

There's quite a number of us here that have a wife and/or kids, and still manage to have full-time jobs, live in their own homes, and still find time to play Gran Turismo amd talk about it too. Just search around.

Hey well said Pupik. I haven't turned my PS2 on for at least 2 months due to other comitments, even yesterday when I had a day off work I was busy looking after my daughter.

TMM
Hey well said Pupik. I haven't turned my PS2 on for at least 2 months due to other comitments, even yesterday when I had a day off work I was busy looking after my daughter.

when i first read that i took it as a slant on my parenting skills. my kids take priority over everything. the consoles only come out once they're all asleep.

poolio
when i first read that i took it as a slant on my parenting skills. my kids take priority over everything. the consoles only come out once they're all asleep.

Hey chill!!! I wasn't slanting you at all, just stating that I spent the day with my daughter instead of playing on the PS2. She's just over 1 and starting to walk around and explore so she needs an eye keeping on her to keep her out of trouble, besides I took her to Tots in the morning and then to see my grandmother in the afternoon so I didn't really have a lot of spare time anyway.

TMM
Hey chill!!! I wasn't slanting you at all, just stating that I spent the day with my daughter instead of playing on the PS2. She's just over 1 and starting to walk around and explore so she needs an eye keeping on her to keep her out of trouble, besides I took her to Tots in the morning and then to see my grandmother in the afternoon so I didn't really have a lot of spare time anyway.

sorry dude, i misinterpreted your post. hope i didn't go too OTT. my daughter's 21 months old now and on the odd occasion i switch the ps2 on while she's toddling around she loves to come and sit on my knee and watch. hell, sometimes she even tries to play along too.

anyhoo let's not turn this into a parenting forum and get back on topic - the gt1 quest began last night. i got half an hour on it and so far i have an r32 skyline which cost me around 9k and i started the b license. i'll post updates as and when.........

poolio
sorry dude, i misinterpreted your post. hope i didn't go too OTT. my daughter's 21 months old now and on the odd occasion i switch the ps2 on while she's toddling around she loves to come and sit on my knee and watch. hell, sometimes she even tries to play along too.

Ahh that's cute... I've got that to look forward to, then it gets to the point where she's pushing you off the PS2, or PS3, cause she wants to play 'My Little Pony' game or something, but she probably wants you to help with the hard bits.

poolio
anyhoo let's not turn this into a parenting forum and get back on topic - the gt1 quest began last night. i got half an hour on it and so far i have an r32 skyline which cost me around 9k and i started the b license. i'll post updates as and when.........

Yeah otherwise the other people on the forum will start calling us old women!!!!

That's not bad for 30 mins, what races have you done and mods to the Skyline?

TMMThat's not bad for 30 mins
Haven't done any mods to the car yet - haven't really spent that much time on it to be honest. i'll probably get chance to really go at it tonight and tomorow night where my plan is to get all my licences and start in the sunday cup and work up from there.

i can't remember if you got prize cars for passing the license tests. if you do then this may alter my approach to the game somewhat

ok so the planned weekend session of gt didn't actually happen. spent saturday demolishing stuff in the garden and on sunday i was out all day at my son's football tournament.

alas the quest continues.................

poolio
Haven't done any mods to the car yet - haven't really spent that much time on it to be honest. i'll probably get chance to really go at it tonight and tomorow night where my plan is to get all my licences and start in the sunday cup and work up from there.

i can't remember if you got prize cars for passing the license tests. if you do then this may alter my approach to the game somewhat

I know if you get all golds in the B, you win a Dodge Copperhead. Nice car, but you can't put any engine mods on it (besides the balancing & port grind) so the power remains rather poor. It's a nice lightweight car, it'll dominate all the lower races, but you really have to WORK to win this car..especially that del Sol in Deep Forest (B3 I believe). Oh my god.

Last edited:
poolio

If you get all golds for each license then you can win 3 different cars. PB has already tolf you the winning car for the B license.

Parnelli Bone
I know if you get all golds in the B, you win a Dodge Copperhead.

The A license car is very nice although it is similar to the Supra RZ.
The IA license car is also very nice and quite rare in GT1 although this can depend on what version you are playing it seems, PAL, NTSC etc.

Let me know if you want me to post the names otherwise I'll keep quiet and let you find out for yourself.

Sorry, I hope that wasn't too much of a spoiler (about the Dodge).

Last edited:
TMM
The IA license car is also very nice and quite rare in GT1 although this can depend on what version you are playing it seems, PAL, NTSC etc.
Is this the "IA license prize car shows up in PAL used car lots rumour" again?

SportWagon
Is this the "IA license prize car shows up in PAL used car lots rumour" again?

Errrmmm yeah, except that I thought it showed up in NTSC versions. I have never seen it in the PAL versions, not that I have looked all that hard.

It does not show up in the used car lots. A car labelled with the same manufacturer's tuner-shop does show up, but it's not the same model, and nothing like as powerful. I assume that is the source of the rumour.

Edit: I.e a "R32 Skyline GT-R Nismo" of unspecified year shows up.

SportWagon
It does not show up in the used car lots. A car labelled with the same manufacturer's tuner-shop does show up, but it's not the same model, and nothing like as powerful. I assume that is the source of the rumour.

Probably. Thanks for clearing that up, as I said I never really looked that hard for the car, I was just pleased when I got it through the license tests.

i think we are WAY overdue an update on this so here goes...........

finally attained gold on all licences (it was harder that i remember :scared: ) and i have won the sunday and clubman cups with my skyline.

i am now planning my assault on the gt cup tonight

Hey, welcome back, Poolio. I remember you from this hot, muggy summer and now it's super-cold outside where I am...plenty of excuse to stay inside and play more videogames!

I think the first Gran Turismo's tests are the hardest for a couple reasons:

1. In order to watch the demo, you have to exit the test and go all the way to the Starting menu. By the time you're back to the test, you may have forgotten a thing or 2.

2. In some of the GT2 & 3 tests, they actually put nifty dotted lines showing you where you're supposed to be on the road. In GT3, they even tell you where to brake and coast thru a turn. Plus, you can simply watch the demo with the little accel / brake meter on at your convenience without leaving the testing screens.

The GT cup rocks. I did that several times. Without a doubt, my fave is the Grand Valley 300 KM enduro. ¬

Last edited:
I think GT1's golds are the easiest. Mostly because I got them all.

But more specifically, the physics model allows you to simply zero-in on the correct cornering speed for each corner, by trial-and-error. As long as you're approximately close to the correct speed, the only penalty is lost time from needing to steer too hard (tire squeal). There's less weight balance and stuff that you need to take care of in the later games. Just get the entry speed right, and you've basically got most corners.

Latest Posts

Back