oh the tragedy!............

• Thread starter poolio
  • 85 comments
yea its damn cold here too :nervous:

i think the fact its taken me nearly 6 months to get all golds shows how hard they are...........................................either that or im just rubbish

What has always helped me when I get frustrated is realizing that there have been hundreds if not thousands of other bozos before me who have gained gold, so if they can do it, chances are I'll eventually get them, too. Also, studying the demos helps, as well as a sort of zen-like state I achieve, in which I try and not to let little things here and there bother me! ¬

Last edited:
GT1?

I remember that! Wasn't it before the great war....

I seem to remember there was a full race Cerbera and a monumental mid-engined 4WD FTO that were just awesome! Have you got either of them yet?

What tracks are on there that I've forgotten? was Route 11 on that one?

Must be good re-visiting it ...

Advanced is'nt working today so . . . @ 1st post , the old psx cards are prone to all sorts of interference , especially from remote car-unlocking devices ! the only solution is to wrap them in tin-foil to sheild them from radiowaves & never never leave a psx card in either playstation if resetting . . anyhoo the licences are worth doing in GT1 again as they are , well . . . hard as MFer plus GT1 is faster per hp / weight in a ridiculous way ... GVS in 56secs in a NISMO SKYLINE , that was one of mine but i've seen 26secs for the HSR w/ some gameshark WOW!

pupik
Once you have responsibilities, you'll never go back to playing games the old way. Now, you'll have to sneak a two-lap race when ever you can.

1) The wife's in the shower.
2) Letting the dogs out.
3) Letting the kids out.
4) Calling in sick to work.
5) Taking extended lunch breaks at work.

The possibilites are endless. At least GT1 has just three enduros, and a handful of series races that require an hour's time here and there. GT2 is better when you really don't have much time at all, since there's only a few series; mostly 2 & 3-lap races.

There's quite a number of us here that have a wife and/or kids, and still manage to have full-time jobs, live in their own homes, and still find time to play Gran Turismo amd talk about it too. Just search around.
man you hit the nail right on the head

this is p*ssing me off now

had to restart again (damn thirdparty memory cards!) and im doing absolutely rubbish so far.

i got b, a, and ib licences (but only on bronze....ffs!) and i am struggling with the ia tests. so far i have won sunday, clubman, us v japan and gt cup.

can't believe i'm struggling with the damn licences though :banghead:

how do you guys keep scrambling your cards? i'm still working of an absolutely ANCIENT card, and a literall first gen PSX (a 1001!), and I haven't lost any saves YET...even my GT1 save is still on my Gameshark pro

I dug mine up again recently, as well {GT1}, and am wrapping up. forgot just how cool the soundtrack was. got it and a new copy of GT2 1.0 US (the one with the garage eater flaw) for only a fiver!

i ALWAYS make time for gaming, and I'm running constantly, so ANYBODY can do that.

little suggestion...those cards are like old fashioned game cartriges...they need their contact tabs cleaned...especially aftermarket ones

I agree, old memory cards should be kept in an airtight box, not on the floor somewhere. Still, I've lost data on a couple cards for no apparent reason. Just one day boom they're dead. One of them was brand-new when I bought it and didn't last more than 3 months. They weren't Sony memory cards, though.

Last edited:
i had my psone and memory card since 1996/1997, around that time,and Ive NEVER lost any saves,all perfect,even the newer memory cards i got for psone ( not sony ones,some cheap 3rd party and they still worked perfect ),never lost any saves ever,and the psone is still in great condition.

Well I can tell you from experience: occasionally I'll buy used non-Sony memory cards by the handful because they only cost a 2 dollars or three at the most. 1 out of 3 of those cards will either go bad with time or it IS bad when I buy it. But hell, they only cost a couple bucks. No big deal. It was when I got that brand-new Nyko memory card and had some GT1 saves on it that I got mad.

Last edited:
i've only ever had problems with third party memory cards. dont they have a built in battery or something that runs out over time? a bit like the old sega game cartridges used to

im only guessing here that that is why the sony ones never screw up - perhaps you could enlighten me :sly:

poolio
i've only ever had problems with third party memory cards. dont they have a built in battery or something that runs out over time? a bit like the old sega game cartridges used to

im only guessing here that that is why the sony ones never screw up - perhaps you could enlighten me :sly:

Not all memory cards have a battery. The ones that do shouldn't be used at all with Gran Turismo. I bought 3 of them once thinking cool, look you can see the battery in there. Maybe it'll hold more memory. not so. None of them worked! Later on I read somewhere that those type of cards aren't supposed to be used with GT games for some reason.

For that matter, any card that features more than 1x of memory can't be used either, I forget why.

Last edited:
bloody hell i got my gt2 data on one of those cards. i better get it the hell offa there onto a sony one sharpish

Parnelli Bone
For that matter, any card that features more than 1x of memory can't be used either, i forget why.
I found the Interact 24x memory cards very reliable, and used them with GT1. Eventually I thought they might be overloading the I/O port somehow, though. So I switched to using them for "archives" only. I have about six of them, but have not looked at them recently. On one of them I had a save of each tenth day from day 20 to 250, so I could look at the used car lineups, and possibly purchase them.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-02-10.html#Hardware_Hints
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-03-01.html#Used_Car_Patterns

Now, once I happened upon an older model of this device, and it was noticeably less reliable, and I think lost its contents at least once.

I haven't looked at these cards for a long time, however, so I'm not sure how they're doing. I did at one point get a Dex Drive. :)

SportWagon
I did at one point get a Dex Drive. :)
And since I bought a DexDrive in '01, nothing else has fought for the rights to my serial port!

I've never lost a save on a mem card; I always out them away when not in use, and the same goes with all games. Nothing sits out so it can get damaged.I did lose a save once because the PSX froze up during the saving process of GT2...

|||||||||||||||||||| (stops).............Crap!

I forgot to back-up that particular game with the DexDrive. Crap!

And that perfect Elise suspension set-up was lost forever. Crap!

The compression used by the 24x cards did mean it was inadvisable to keep GT replays there. Replays were very dense information, and couldn't really be compressed. In contrast GT1 and GT2 game data, especially if the garages were nearly empty, were very sparse and compressed nicely. So if you saved replays on those cards, you would run out of space after far less than 24 pages, but not if you only saved game data.

I'm also afraid to put those 24x cards in the PS2, for fear of damaging the PS2.

I just got a used copy of GT1. I have played GT3 and GT4 and wanted to see where it all began. I started by buying the Skyline GTS M type (I think that is the correct name). So far I have done the A and B licenses (only bronzes) and won the Sunday cup. I entered a FR race and finish in last place about 20 seconds behind. I need more practice and a faster car.

Any suggestions on what order to do things in?

Most people doing their first game rinse-and-repeat the Sunday Cup a few times to build up a moderate amount of cash. The FR and similar series can be won by modifying until you overpower the competion, although for all except the 4WD very minor modifications are required if you have a good car to start with.

Buying a turbo Mitsubishi GTO and applying all mods might allow you to win the Mega-Speed event, which pays out relatively quickly. And in that state it would also stomp all over the 4WD series. (To be more fair, don't do the Cr85,000 "race modification").

The big money-maker is the Normal Car contest (for unmodified cars). A Dodge Viper or one of the TVRs cleans up there, once you learn to keep the slippery tires on the road. (About like "comfort" tires from GT4). Eventually, every Japanese manufacturer has a car you can win with, and real experts tell me you can win with a Chevrolet, too. Once you can win that series, money becomes almost no object. (One Normal Series equals one fully-modified car, basically).

And then there's the wonderful XXvsXX series. A race-modified version of a "normal" car can be fun there--maybe a GTO, or Viper or TVR. Actually, many non-race-modified cars can win too, e.g. a turbo GTO. Or it's fun to use a race-modified version of something pedestrian, like a Subaru Legacy Wagon or something. The great thing about these series is they are three series all having the same sets of races--the difference being the allowable entrants. So you get to learn those courses well. (Each series has a different character; in addition to the different line-ups because of the different countries allowed, the AI are faster/better in different particular races in each of the different series). If you win one of those series you'll get an "LM" prize car which can easily win any race it can enter. The model you get is one of two, randomly selected, so you'll want to race each of these several times to collect both from each series. (Two possible colours for each, too. Everyone seems to find some particular car/colour combination extra difficult to win, too--not always the same one for everybody).

Once you've finished most of the B and A license races (there's also the Clubman Cup and GT Cup in the Gran Turismo League; the prize from the GT Cup can actually win the JPvsXX series, but is difficult to tune and handle) you'll want to go for your IA license and try the GT World Cup, the endurance races and . . .

The Hard-Tuned Car World Speed Contest.

In many ways that seems like the all-round best series in any GT game ever. (Well, the fact you only face two possibly lineups sort of detracts a bit).

I was gonna reply but looks like Sportwagon got it all covered! Sportwagon has an awesome GT1 website, peterjford...it's chock full of stories, info, and of course racing.

Thanks for the tips SportWagon. Thanks to Parnelli Bone for the info on the web site, got it bookmarked now.

Edited

My web site, as shown in my profile, is http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/

The GT pages are:
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/
The diary is:
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/
The GT1 web pages are
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/albrnickgt/

Perhaps see also:
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/gt1stats/
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/gt1used/

But I actually need to debug those some day because they don't work quite right after geocities went to frames. I can make them work by appending "&junk=1" to the URL's in the browser box; this stops my JavaScript from being confused by what geocities appends. To fix that in general, I need to remember to fix it on my master copy and then upload it.

Previously, this post was zero-content; a retraction of something I'd posted by mistake.

Parnelli Bone
I know if you get all golds in the B, you win a Dodge Copperhead. Nice car, but you can't put any engine mods on it (besides the balancing & port grind) so the power remains rather poor. It's a nice lightweight car, it'll dominate all the lower races, but you really have to WORK to win this car..especially that del Sol in Deep Forest (B3 i believe). Oh my god.

if i remember correctly you also win the copperhead if you win the us v uk series.

can anyone confirm this? im gonna give it a bash tonite

Back