Old Guys on GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter IndyRacer
  • 47 comments
  • 3,245 views

IndyRacer

Premium
Messages
138
Messages
IndyRacer55
I am kind of an odd ball for my age of 57. I work in the IT industry and have been playing video games since they were invented! :) Are there any others out there? If so maybe we should start a league for all us old duffers! đź’ˇ
 
I am kind of an odd ball for my age of 57. I work in the IT industry and have been playing video games since they were invented! :) Are there any others out there? If so maybe we should start a league for all us old duffers! đź’ˇ

I thought I was old at 32 so looked at the thread not quite at your age yet :)
 
I thought I was old at 32 so looked at the thread not quite at your age yet :)
:O :lol:
What a cheek.....:ouch: (nah, just kidding mate, I would love to be only 32 again....:lol: )

IndyRacer55
I'm not far behind you @ 51...👍
I'm down in Aus though...I have a couple of mates from U.S. and Canada, but haven't been able to connect time wise so far....:(
 
:O :lol:
What a cheek.....:ouch: (nah, just kidding mate, I would love to be only 32 again....:lol: )

IndyRacer55
I'm not far behind you @ 51...👍
I'm down in Aus though...I have a couple of mates from U.S. and Canada, but haven't been able to connect time wise so far....:(

I've been trying to get my uncle to play. He's 64, he plays all of the 1st person shooters and other console racing games. He didn't like my setup with the g25 and shifter.. Said the cars were to slippery.. I told him it's a simulation not a game.. I'm still working on him. He's a blast though, and a good driver in real life.
 
I am kind of an odd ball for my age of 57. I work in the IT industry and have been playing video games since they were invented! :) Are there any others out there? If so maybe we should start a league for all us old duffers! đź’ˇ
I recently turned 50. Like you I work in IT and have been playing widoe games from the very first ones. Pong, Space Invaders, Asteroids and of course Pac Man.

Racing is the best and it just keeps getting better. I also have a few friends on GT5 that are near my age and a few on Forza that are a little older.
 
I'm almost 40 and have played ever version of GT since it came out in '97.
 
45 years old. Playing games since Atari. I remember Tank and Pong, then things got more advanced Defender, Space Invaders etc. Bought a commodore 64 when they first came out, then an Amiga 128. Makes me feel old thinking back. Good thing my wife is 23 years old. Between her and my PS3 I should have a heart attack before I am 50.
 
You will find that surprisingly many of the regulars on the forum also are oldtimers in real life.
 
I would think with a game like this it would attract a wide variety in ages.

I'm 39 and play with a group of 30-50 year guys & gals.
 
I frequently race with a guy on GT Legends (PC) who is 85 and rapid!!!
 
40 and lookin' to learn the basics of the online thing. Got the headset and all but too intimidated to jump in. Have slowed down with real road racing cause of children and spouse but love this at night. Grinding b-spec right now to get to level 22 so I can grow a-spec, what a grind. I like the cars I have so far and would enjoy it more just to race and chat online for an hour or so each night.

PSN mponsig

Here now willing to race for a few..............
 
It's not about physical age, its about how young you feel. Once owned Apple ll serial 478! Wife worked at Atari, played Astroids and Tank Attack! Played all kinds of Flight Sims, and now taking on the grandkids! Only 1 of 5 can beat me in the driving sims.
67 by the way!!! See ya on the track. In real life raced a 1965 Karmin Ghia, rally's, hair and hounds, bought it new and sold it beat and on its last leg.
 
Hi...61 here and have played since pacman. Into gaming now more than ever. Loving GT5 and Logitech Gt wheel. My Dad is 82 and a gamer. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.........
 
42 years old and refusing to grow old on the inside.
 
44 here. I raced Enduro on the original Atari 2600, and Pole Position on the 7800 way back in the early '80s. I'd certainly be happy to join this league once I get to the point I've got the right cars and stuff.

I'm almost 40 and have played ever version of GT since it came out in '97.

Hey, weren't you over at Gran Turismo Forum ages ago? I remember reading a ton of posts from somebody named JMII. In fact, here's a sample.


Gran Turismo Forum > Racing & Driving Games > Gran Turismo 2 > TCS ?
Last Thread Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dodge Man24
GTF Member
Registered: Dec 1999
Location: CT,USA
Posts: 110 TCS ?
Has TCS worked for you yet??
How can U tell?
------------------
NASCAR RULES!!!
[This message has been edited by Dodge Man24 (edited 01-05-2000).]
Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged .
01-06-2000 01:50 AM

JMII
Fishing Fool
Registered: Dec 1998
Location: Margate, FL USA
Posts: 7582

Here's my take on the TCS...

After messing with the LSD on the del Sol LM I figured some stuff out with it. First I choose this car because it was my favorite in GT1 for nice predictable drifts.

Anyway... LSD Accel - Soft to Hard: The softer you set it, the more the tires spin independant of each other as you apply the gas. For example, when turning left and
powering out of a corner, the inside tire (the left one in this example) turns slower than the right one (under normal conditions). This is because the right tire has to cover more distance than the left one. If you try to accelerate in this situation the left tire spins as it tries to "catch-up" to the right tire's rotation speed. However if you set the LSD to a harder setting it attempts to keep both tires turning at the same rate. The result is less tire spin, which sounds like a good thing (at first thought). However, it's a trade off- you gain more
control over the car, but it turns slower (and develops some "push" or understeer) due to the fact that both tires now turn at the same rate. This makes the car want to go a nice straight line with little tire smoke... but, a straight often leads you into a wall or off the
track.

So, I turned the darn thing way down and was much, much happier. This does the same thing as the accel setting, but it effects the car under braking of course. As the car slows with this set to hard, both tires slow at the same speed. The advantage is the car does not spin out, but the direct disadvantage is that now you have to "wait" for both tires to slow down to the correct speed before making the turn.

Once again, for my driving style (and the del Sol LM atleast) this sucks big time. I want the tires to break lose under braking since this forces the car sideways and then you can cut a sharper angle thru the turn. Of course (on the other hand) your on the edge of control and can spin out at any second, but that makes it more fun I think.

LSD Inital - Soft to Hard
Think of this setting as the overall "power" of both the Accel and Decel parts of the unit. It seems to effect the speed at which the Accel and Decel portions engage. When set hard, the car "jumps" out of corners and reacts very quickly- instantly making the adjustments noted above. At a softer setting, it engages smoother (but slower). In fact, when set very low, it's almost like turning the whole system
off.

I still need to play around with it, but for now (on road courses atleast) and with the del Sol LM I just turned all of them to 1 (the softest setting) to get the old GT1 feel back. The car slides and drifts nicely once the other suspension/downforce settings are made. However on the new [R] 300ZX prize car, I found it was very lose to being with and thus NEEDED some slip control. I turned them all up a few notches, especially the Inital and Accel. I like the fact the cars gets sideways under braking, so I did not change that setting much.
It's pretty that once set to hard (on accel and inital) you can power out at nearly full throttle and not worry about sliding too much.


Of course the suspension, downforce, traction control and stability control settings effect the LSD greatly. This game is even more complex now, it going to take some time to figure out which settings work with which cars. Also the rally tracks will pretty much require
re-tweaking the LSD since your spinning the tires all the time.
 
Hey, weren't you over at Gran Turismo Forum ages ago? I remember reading a ton of posts from somebody named JMII. In fact, here's a sample.

Yep that's me :D I also used the nick JM2 before Kenji's server crashed the first time.
I ran the infamous and epic EZGT self-handicapping race series and Pikes Peak Weekly Challenge series. As well as writing the original (?) GT2 FAQ. Glad some people remember me because that was a long time ago.

GT is pretty much the only game I care about. I skipped GT4 because GT3 was the understeer simulator... I hated that game and pretty much gave up on the series. However when GT5:P came out I caught the bug again. I love GT5 (well most of it...) and want to get another online racing series going.
 
34 here and my dad nba336 is 65 lol he's a touch better than me
 
Add me 48 from Canada PSN ID abetterplaya.
It's my sons username took the PS3 over for GT5.Love to race and race clean.:dunce:
 
Yep that's me :D I also used the nick JM2 before Kenji's server crashed the first time.
I ran the infamous and epic EZGT self-handicapping race series and Pikes Peak Weekly Challenge series. As well as writing the original (?) GT2 FAQ. Glad some people remember me because that was a long time ago.

GT is pretty much the only game I care about. I skipped GT4 because GT3 was the understeer simulator... I hated that game and pretty much gave up on the series. However when GT5:P came out I caught the bug again. I love GT5 (well most of it...) and want to get another online racing series going.

Excellent. Pleased to meet ya. Perhaps we'll see each other on the tracks soon, although I'm barely into GT5 due to my work schedule. :(
 
52 here, played all the gt series. Only just learned to drive with manual gears! Playing on a 3d tv it's great.
 
I'm glad I read this thread...I found out I'm NOT the oldest one here. 63 and started gaming with pong. I still have my Atari in the basement, I think it still works. Flight sims in the '90's, on PC. I love WWII fighter planes. I bought the first Force Feedback joystick (with rudder pedals ) from Thustmaster, way back. I'm pretty sure it was the first FF controller made.
I got a PS3 to play Need for Speed Pro Street ( my son got me into it ). Then GT5-P, then got a PS2 to play GT4, then got an X-box 360 to play Forza 3. I have a G25, made a stand out of 3 inch PVC, use a driver's seat out of a Dodge Viper.
I was online a lot with GT5-P and Forza, but not yet with GT5. I'm still leveling up and collecting cars.
I look forward to seeing you all online.
How are the open lobbies arranged so that there are somewhat equal cars? GT5-P had the PP point system to keep things equal.
 
I'm 39 - I got a PS3 for Christmas last year and was given a broken Xbox that I fixed this past June. Play GT5 and Forza with a Fanatec PWTS now! The last time I played a console game was on an Atari 2600! The last PC racing game I played was Rally Championship 2000 with an Act Labs RS (kinda the Fanatec of its day).

My wife thinks I'm strange...
 
Last edited:
41 here, haven't raced online at all, but feel free to add me.

underwaterboogie
 
Yep that's me :D I also used the nick JM2 before Kenji's server crashed the first time.
I ran the infamous and epic EZGT self-handicapping race series and Pikes Peak Weekly Challenge series. As well as writing the original (?) GT2 FAQ. Glad some people remember me because that was a long time ago.

GT is pretty much the only game I care about. I skipped GT4 because GT3 was the understeer simulator... I hated that game and pretty much gave up on the series. However when GT5:P came out I caught the bug again. I love GT5 (well most of it...) and want to get another online racing series going.
Hey JM,

I was on Kenji's board as well, ran your Pikes Peak every week and did the Top Gear and 308's Extreme Series. Good to see that there are still some older guys still around, I'm 51 and enjoy the online part of GT5 compared to the time submission racing we did back then. Remember the scandal when it was determined that Savage(?) was cheating using the Gameshark?
 
47 here' can't wait to show this thread to my wife that is 7 years younger than me and loves to call me an old video gamer. like most of you i have been playing since the days of pong........
 
Hey JM,

I was on Kenji's board as well, ran your Pikes Peak every week and did the Top Gear and 308's Extreme Series. Good to see that there are still some older guys still around, I'm 51 and enjoy the online part of GT5 compared to the time submission racing we did back then. Remember the scandal when it was determined that Savage(?) was cheating using the Gameshark?

I remember the Top Gear events against Joe Win and Egag... those guys could post some unreal times. That's the only time I have ever thrown a controller, that was a brutal race series. I know they were not cheating because I met Joe in real life and raced against him 2-player style and Egag sent me his memory card, the guy was analog smooth using a digital controller. One season he ran the Supra in stock tune and still out drove tuned WRXs!

I remember when Intercooler admitting he cheated in EZGT after he won the first season, he was running the Mitsubishi GTO which (at the time) was the car that made the most HP in game, it could be tuned to like 900HP.

Great memories from back then :)

My 70 year old father took a turn at the wheel today since the parents are visiting for xmas, he is faster then my wife who is 30 years younger. So props to the old guys.
 
Hi there. I'm 49 years old. Playing since GT3. My ID is OldButSlow1961. I consider myself as driver not racer. Just wanna have some fun.
 
Well I am 43 and heading for 44 real fast been playing GT since it GT1 it was the whole reason I bought a PS1. Got my Dad hooked on GT3 he is now 68 and finnaly broke down and gave into my pressure and bought a PS3 so he was ready when GT5 came out. And he is hooked again.
 
45yrs here. Been playing these digital wonders since PONG. I thought I was the king when I figured out how to put SPIN on the ball!

Atari,
Intellivision,
Sega,
Playstation 1,
Then I figured out that PC gaming put all the consoles to SHAME!
PS 2,
PS 3,
Now GT5 comes out and it's the closest thing to a PC sim yet. Along with this, my PC wheel works with it!

Count me in on the the old-man group.
 
Back